• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami: Internal Discussions regarding Switch games, namedrops Castlevania

Since Igarashi has his own studio now, so I'm guessing a remake more than a new game. I'm still excited about a new Castlevania, how long has it been since Order of Eclessia? Nine years?

Anyway, make a new one and I may be finally buying a Switch.

Poyunch

I would be incredibly surprised if a new Castlevania was Switch exclusive. Not that it doesn't have a massive history in Nintendo hardware, but it doesn't strike me as an IP that Konami would keep to one system.

Unless it was a Netflix game tie-in~

Instro

I'd have to imagine that something Castlevania is coming, whether Switch or not, considering they have the Netflix show on the way. Might as well capitalize.

Oregano

I would love a new Castlevania game that plays like older titles like Super Castlevania/Rondo of Blood.

Considering the Netflix series is based on Castlevania 3 and Super Bomberman R I'm almost certain that if this does exist/come to fruition then it will based on the old school games.

Foffy

Banned
A Classicvania like Castlevania 1, 3, 4, or Rondo? It's a very different experience than something like Bloodstained.

Fangames still have you covered.

Lecarde Chronicles (the first one) is a Classicvania.

Who does Konami still employ that's ever worked on these games? I recall the artist for Super Bomberman R, but much of the key staff that worked on the series has either retired or joined IGA.

Marcel

I laugh at the fact that people only started the Fuck Konami thing because of Kojima despite the fact they'd be pulling the same shit for their other developers for years before that.

All I care about is whether they're releasing games I want and with Bomberman they did. If they release a decent/good Castlevania they will have done it again.

You're just willing to settle for whatever because they're making games for your pet system. Why are you acting like a new 2D Castlevania being even just decent is some foregone conclusion?

rudger

I had a feeling about this after the Netflix reveal. I mean, it begins with a shot of the NES for no particularly good reason. Yes, some people associate Castlevania with the NES, but a whole lot of people also think of Symphony of the Night and the GBA/DS games, never mind the countless other titles in the series on other platforms. It just seemed like a very specific callback that only made sense if they planned to release (or rerelease?) a game on a Nintendo console.

I'd have to imagine that something Castlevania is coming, whether Switch or not, considering they have the Netflix show on the way. Might as well capitalize.

This is the belief, especially if it has good ratings. I mean, whatever gets me a new one.

Oregano

You're just willing to settle for whatever because they're making games for your pet system. Why are you acting like a new 2D Castlevania being good is some foregone conclusion?

Well I never said or implied that so how about you sod off?

Fiendcode

Considering the Netflix series is based on Castlevania 3 and Super Bomberman R I'm almost certain that if this does exist/come to fruition then it will based on the old school games.
Dracula's Curse Chronicles

Poor Iga will miss out on remaking his favorite.

What was the netflix series based on again, Rondo of Blood? I wouldn't put it passed them to try a simple port collection of it and Symphony of the Night, in all honesty.

ReyVGM

If they do make a Castlevania game, hopefully it has a good budget and doesn't use those cheap polygon models and textures Bomberman R uses.

emb

You know what Konami? Just port all those Rebirth games to Switch, put them on a game card, make me happy. Not even needing you to go make a new game.

Foffy

Banned
You're just willing to settle for whatever because they're making games for your pet system. Why are you acting like a new 2D Castlevania being even just decent is some foregone conclusion?

What the fuck is this?

First, why are you shitting on the platform?

Second, do you not realize Castlevania has consistent quality as 2D games? You can name all of the bad 2D games in the series on one hand.

I'll even do it for you.

- Adventure
- Legends
- Haunted Castle
- Dracula X (SNES)
- Order of Shadows

And that is of a series with over 20 games that meet this "2D game" mark.

If it's 3D, the question of it being good is in the air. If it's 2D, there is a history of it being solid, especially if they ape either Classicvania or Igavania formulas, as these are things even fucking fangames deliver on.

I dislike Konami for essentially only putting money into the IP for slot machines and for external developers, but to make the claim you did, considering the series this is, shows a lack of understanding or you're just tryin' to troll up the place.

That said, they'll probably give it to some studio like M2, as they made Adventure Rebirth. There's likely a shell of staff within the company, but there's not a lack of talent on the eastern end who can fill the void.

Be concerned if it's made by a western developer that's not Wayforward or something.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, as long as they understand that people want games from classic franchises that feel like the classics... not some Mercury Steam bullshit.

At this stage these companies are still discussing what to do. When they finally decide, when will those games come out??? When it doesn't matter anymore?

Marcel

What the fuck is this?

First, why are you shitting on the platform?

Second, do you not realize Castlevania has consistent quality as 2D games? You can name all of the bad 2D games in the series on one hand.

I'll even do it for you.

- Adventure
- Legends
- Haunted Castle
- Dracula X (SNES)
- Order of Shadows

And that is of a series with over 20 games that meet this "2D game" mark.

If it's 3D, the question of it being good is in the air. If it's 2D, there is a history of it being solid, especially if they ape either Classicvania or Igavania formulas, as these are things even fucking fangames deliver on.

I dislike Konami for essentially only putting money into the IP for slot machines and for external developers, but to make the claim you did, considering the series this is, shows a lack of understanding or you're just tryin' to troll up the place.

You're missing the point entirely. I don't think Konami unto itself still employs the talent to still make a good 2D Castlevania, that's all. If they gave it to someone else like any of those companies that sprouted after various Konami talent exoduses it might have a chance.

Foffy

Banned
You're missing the point entirely. I don't think Konami unto itself still employs the talent to still make a good 2D Castlevania, that's all. If they gave it to someone else like any of those companies that sprouted after various Konami talent exoduses it might have a chance.

That's a fair point. I thought you were shitting on the possibility of it being bad because it was 2D. Yaknow, some call the Switch a "pet" platform because it's the weak one in the market, hence "lol2Dgamez" trolls. My bad.

To your point, a good question is to ask who would even compose for the game? Michiru Yamane left after Order of Ecclesia, and she was the goddess that was involved in most of the games since Bloodlines.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
With the Switch being an instant two player machine with basically a SNES button layout sequels to Konami's two player simultaneously games like Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures, Contra or Mystical Ninja would be great.

kunonabi

Maybe it's the diehard fan in me, but what can Konami deliver on the IP that's already not being covered by Bloodstained or the Castlevania fangame community?

You want a Castlevania game? Play the Lecarde Chronicles games.

You want a game by some key staff that made Castlevania what it was? Play Bloodstained.

Considering the fact I put fangames above Konami's own efforts really speaks to my expectations on what they'd do with the IP considering the reboot and Pachinko games were really when they decided to actually care for the franchise, and I don't like either.

As a Classic Castlevania fan none of those are appealing especially a poor fangame of all things. There is certainly room for Konami together something worthwhile and it also means that we could be one step closer to finally having Castlevania represented in Smash depending on how serious Konami would about pushing the title.

LeleSocho

Banned
i refuse to believe this is anything to get excited about, probably some port or something stupid a la Harmony of Despair but worse

Fiendcode

You know what Konami? Just port all those Rebirth games to Switch, put them on a game card, make me happy. Not even needing you to go make a new game.
I'll repost my Dream Scenario from the Legacy Collection thread.

Konami x M2 Collection Series

Konami Vol. 1: Gradius
Gradius (AC)
Gradius II / Vulcan Venture (AC)
Gradius III (AC)
Gradius (NES)
Gradius II (NES)
Nemesis (MSX)
Nemesis 2 (MSX)
Nemesis 3: Eve of Destruction (MSX)
Gradius III (SNES)
Gradius (PCE)
Gradius II (PCE)
Gradius (X68k)
Gradius 90 Kai (X68k)
Nemesis (GB)
Nenesis II / Gradius: Interstellar Assault (GB)
Gradius ReBirth

Konami Vol. 2: Contra
Contra (AC)
Super Contra (AC)
Contra (NES)
Super C (NES)
Contra Force (NES)
Contra (MSX)
Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
Contra: Hard Corps (MD)
Operation C (GB)
Contra: The Alien Wars (GB)
Contra ReBirth

Konami Vol. 3: Castlevania
Haunted Castle (AC)
Castlevania (NES)
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Vampire Killer (MSX)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PCE)
Castlevania: Bloodlines (MD)
Castlevania (X68k)
Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (GB)
Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth

Konami Vol. 4: Salamander
Salamander (AC)
Life Force (AC)
Thunder Cross (AC)
Thunder Cross II (AC)
Salamander 2 (AC)
Xexex (AC)
Salamander / Life Force (NES)
Salamander (MSX)
Space Manbow (MSX)
Salamander (PCE)
Salamander (X68k)
Axelay (SNES)
Salamander ReBirth

Konami Vol. 5: Twinbee
Twinbee (AC)
Detana Twinbee / Bells & Whistles (AC)
Twinbee Yahoo / Magical Twinbee (AC)
Twinbee (NES)
Moero Twinbee / Stinger (NES)
Twinbee 3 (NES)
Twinbee (MSX)
Detana Twinbee (PCE)
Twinbee (X68k)
Detana Twinbee (X68k)
Pop'n Twinbee (SNES)
Pop' Twinbee: Rainbowbell Adventures
Pop'n Twinbee (GB)
Pop'n Twinbee ReBirth

Konami Vol. 5: Parodius
Parodius (AC)
Gokujou Parodius / Fantastic Journey (AC)
Sexy Parodius (AC)
Parodius: Tako Saves the Earth (MSX)
Parodius (NES)
Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy (SNES)
Gokujou Parodius (SNES)
Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius (SNES)
Parodius (PCE)
Parodius (X86k)
Parodius (GB)
Parodius ReBirth

Konami Vol. 7: Mystical Ninja
Mr. Goemon (AC)
Ganbare Goemon (NES)
Ganbare Goemon 2 (NES)
Ganbare Goemon (MSX)
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES)
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2 (SNES)
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 3 (SNES)
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 4 (SNES)
Mystical Ninja starring Goemon (GB) *1st action game, not the arpg
Mystical Ninja ReBirth starring Goemon

Konami Vol. 8: Metal Gear
Metal Gear (MSX)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX)
SD Snatcher (MSX)
Snatcher (MSX)
Metal Gear (NES)
Snake's Revenge (NES)
Snatcher (PCE)
Snatcher (MD)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel ReBirth

Hudson Vol. 1: Star Soldier
Star Soldier (NES)
Starship Hector (NES)
Star Soldier (MSX)
Super Star Soldier (PCE)
Blazing Lazers (PCE)
Final Soldier (PCE)
Soldier Blade (PCE)
Star Parodier (PCE)
Star Soldier ReBirth

Hudson Vol. 2: Adventure Island
Adventure Island (NES)
Adventure Island II (NES)
Adventure Island III (NES)
Adventure Island IV (NES)
Adventure Island (MSX)
New Adventure Island (PCE)
Super Adventure Island (SNES)
Super Adventure Island II (SNES)
Adventure Island (GB)
Adventure Island II (GB)
Adventure Island ReBirth

Hudson Vol. 3: Bomberman
Bomberman (NES)
Bomberman II (NES)
Bomberman Special (MSX)
Bomberman (PCE)
Bomberman '93 (PCE)
Bomberman '94 (PCE)
Super Bomberman (SNES)
Super Bomberman 2 (SNES)
Super Bomberman 3 (SNES)
Super Bomberman 4 (SNES)
Mega Bomberman (MD)
Bomberboy / Atomic Punk (GB)
Bomberman GB (GB)
Bomberman GB 2 (GB)
Bomberman GB 3 (GB)
Bomberman ReBirth Online

Hudson Vol. 4: Bonk
Bonk's Adventure (PCE)
Bonk's Revenge (PCE)
Bonk III: Bonk's Big Adventure (PCE)
Air Zonk (PCE)
Super Air Zonk: Rocabilly Paradise (PCE)
Bonk's Adventure (NES)
Super Bonk (SNES)
Super Bonk 2 (SNES)
Bonk's Adventure (GB)
Bonk's Revenge (GB)
Bonk's ReBirth Revenge

Konami Vol. E: Tiny Toon Adventures
Tiny Toon Adventures (NES)
Tiny Toon Adventures 2: Trouble in Wackyland (NES)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure (MD)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose (SNES)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Montana's Movie Madness (GB)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big ReBirth

Konami Vol. X: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (AC)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (AC)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project (NES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (MD)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Manhattan Project: Arcade Game ReBirth

EDarkness

I surely would.
Wii was full of underrated stuff like that and I really really hope Switch can play the role of a legit successor for that kind of innovative approaches.

Definitely. I thought the Wii PES games were awesome. Being able to control the whole team while pointing at the screen was revolutionary and should make a comeback. It would give them a niche that doesn't exist anywhere else (maybe it does/could on the PC). With the userbase on the NS, they could really do something with that. I hope they do, honestly. I would pick up PES over FIFA.

Top Bottom