• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami: Internal Discussions regarding Switch games, namedrops Castlevania

The Dink

I guess all it took for people to forgive Konami was an average Bomberman for a single system. Like seriously guys?

Hilarion

I guess all it took for people to forgive Konami was an average Bomberman for a single system. Like seriously guys?

Konami cannot and should not ever make a four-year-development, 100 million dollar game. They explained pretty thoroughly that AAA game development makes no financial sense for them.

Pumping out small-scale titles like Super Bomberman R that take very little financial investment and can be developed quickly is absolutely the right niche for them.

Turrican3

Definitely. I thought the Wii PES games were awesome. Being able to control the whole team while pointing at the screen was revolutionary and should make a comeback.
Yep, they brilliantly solved a problem that hasn't been (and probably won't ever be) solved yet in this kind of games: letting two or even more than two teammates move where YOU want, not where the AI wants.

Of course it had a steep learning curve and it could be improved (still looking for 2012 edition that I missed back then), but the core concept were already in place, and solid enough too IMHO.

Can't still believe how much IR pointing is sooo underrated... Silent Hill remake was also a very nice fit to that with its torchlight, too bad it felt so disturbing to me I haven't finished it yet lol.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Konami would be crazy to *NOT* release another Castlevania game.

But I've been waiting like 25 years now with my brother for Axelay 2 so I'm not getting my hopes up.

They said "See you in Axelay 2"

We've been waiting 25 years we say.

Foffy

Banned
Eh, sure, they can throw that in there too. I leave it out because I've never played it.

Part of the reason you never played it is because it's only ever been on the Genesis!

It's probably the only Classicvania that's never seen a re-release on a digital service.

Fukken Konami.

EDarkness

Yep, they brilliantly solved a problem that hasn't been (and probably won't ever be) solved yet in this kind of games: letting two or even more than two teammates move where YOU want, not where the AI wants.

Of course it had a steep learning curve and it could be improved (still looking for 2012 edition that I missed back then), but the core concept were already in place, and solid enough too IMHO.

Can't still believe how much IR pointing is sooo underrated... Silent Hill remake was also a very nice fit to that with its torchlight, too bad it felt so disturbing to me I haven't finished it yet lol.

Well, as long as they gave folks the option of playing the "traditional" way or playing with the pointer, it would be great and something they could build on in the future. Everyone wins, I think. Maybe I should send Konami a Tweet about this. Ha, ha!!

The Dink

Konami cannot and should not ever make a four-year-development, 100 million dollar game. They explained pretty thoroughly that AAA game development makes no financial sense for them.

Pumping out small-scale titles like Super Bomberman R that take very little financial investment and can be developed quickly is absolutely the right niche for them.

I mean, I wasn't really talking about them getting back into AAA development? So much as people pretending like the last two years never happened just so they can play Castlevania again. But hey, I guess Fuck Konami is Forgive Konami now.

Oregano

...Unless that rumor about Final Fantasy VII:R coming to the NS is true. Heh, heh. Or if GTA V gets announced. I guess we'll see, but I don't think the potential of DQXI is all that big since it's not gonna be released at launch and they'll have to do some stuff to make it enticing for people to double dip. Wasted potential, in my opinion. But you're right, as of now it is the "biggest" game announced for the system...though people might debate that since Monster Hunter XX has been announced as well.

Sure but if FFVIIR comes to Switch then Switch top third party is still Square Enix and I think we both know GTAV is a whole other level of unlikely.

BDGAME

Konami can bring back the football game that any Nintendo fan loves:

img_770x433$2017_03_30_18_47_03_1244548.jpg

EDarkness

Sure but if FFVIIR comes to Switch then Switch top third party is still Square Enix and I think we both know GTAV is a whole other level of unlikely.

You're right, but I always hold out hope that something may change based on success. For some reason, I think that if any third party is going to crack, then it's gonna be Take 2. Not sure why, but I have this feeling. I originally thought it would be Ubisoft or Activision since they traditionally have supported Nintendo hardware fairly heavily, but this time they aren't doing much, but I think companies we don't expect to be going in on the NS will be the ones doing the initial lifting. I have nothing to back that up except this feeling. With the NS included in something like L.A. Noir port, I'm wondering if they have other things in the pipeline.

Turrican3

Well, as long as they gave folks the option of playing the "traditional" way or playing with the pointer, it would be great and something they could build on in the future.
IIRC they already did that after the first PES Playmaker game.

Can't remember which one though, nor do I know whether they kept that option in all subsequent releases (the last one I bought was 2011)

Bloodlines always gets overlooked. :(

Its a crime that the one classic Castlevania that needs a collection the most is the one that gets overlooked the most! All of those CVs have been rereleased in some way. I've lost count how many times SotN has been rereleased and ported. Bloodlines? Unless you have a Genesis and the original cart you cant legally play this game in any other way shape or form.

Symphony is already available to play on a PS1, PS2 or PS3 if you have the original disc and as a digital download to play on PSP, Vita and Xbox 360. If I had to choose between a Bloodlines rerelease and a SotN I'd go with Bloodlines in a heartbeat.

Galang

Banned
Is it bad I rather have another Bomberman game with a higher budget? I would love Bomberman games similar to the N64 days with a proper adventure mode. The other IPs would be cool as well tho..

Pinky

Banned
Part of the reason you never played it is because it's only ever been on the Genesis!

It's probably the only Classicvania that's never seen a re-release on a digital service.

Fukken Konami.

I owned a Genesis back in its prime, so I could've easily played it, but the game just didn't look good to me. However, I'd give it a shot today.

Doesn't Good Feel have a good number of former Castlevania staff?

I believe Ebisu worked on the Konami Kobe Castlevania games, so that would be games like Circle of the Moon.

They seemingly do, yeah. It's weird how many people that made the games I loved as a kid left their parent companies and went on to form studios that work on Nintendo exclusive games.

Time to bring it full circle. Let ND Cube make a new Bonk or Bomberman, let Grezzo make a new Mana game, let Good Feel make a new Castlevania or Contra and let Monolithsoft make a new...well, Xenoblade is better than Xenogears or Saga.

Raitaro

This news makes me very happy and hopeful.

I don't even care whether it would be a Rebirth style remake, a new 2D game, a Super IV remake in HD, a legacy collection of the old games, a new Symphony of the Night style metroidvania or even a new attempt at a 3D game (preferably in the style of BOTW). I just want a new Castlevania!

(That and for them to bring Simon Belmont + Castlevania stage to the inevitable Switch port of Smash 4 of course to help cross-promote said new game.)

M3d10n

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It's clear Bomberman R was a low budget effort to have a token launch title on Switch due to Nintendo frowning upon late ports during the launch window. It had no business selling as much as it did and caught Konami with their pants down all the way to their ankles.

Also, this interview makes it obvious Konami had absolutely nothing planned for the Switch post Bomberman.

I'll repost my Dream Scenario from the Legacy Collection thread.

Konami x M2 Collection Series

Konami Vol. 1: Gradius
Gradius (AC)
Gradius II / Vulcan Venture (AC)
Gradius III (AC)
Gradius (NES)
Gradius II (NES)
Nemesis (MSX)
Nemesis 2 (MSX)
Nemesis 3: Eve of Destruction (MSX)
Gradius III (SNES)
Gradius (PCE)
Gradius II (PCE)
Gradius (X68k)
Gradius 90 Kai (X68k)
Nemesis (GB)
Nenesis II / Gradius: Interstellar Assault (GB)
Gradius ReBirth

Konami Vol. 2: Contra
Contra (AC)
Super Contra (AC)
Contra (NES)
Super C (NES)
Contra Force (NES)
Contra (MSX)
Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
Contra: Hard Corps (MD)
Operation C (GB)
Contra: The Alien Wars (GB)
Contra ReBirth

Konami Vol. 3: Castlevania
Haunted Castle (AC)
Castlevania (NES)
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Vampire Killer (MSX)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PCE)
Castlevania: Bloodlines (MD)
Castlevania (X68k)
Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (GB)
Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth

Konami Vol. 4: Salamander
Salamander (AC)
Life Force (AC)
Thunder Cross (AC)
Thunder Cross II (AC)
Salamander 2 (AC)
Xexex (AC)
Salamander / Life Force (NES)
Salamander (MSX)
Space Manbow (MSX)
Salamander (PCE)
Salamander (X68k)
Axelay (SNES)
Salamander ReBirth

Konami Vol. 5: Twinbee
Twinbee (AC)
Detana Twinbee / Bells & Whistles (AC)
Twinbee Yahoo / Magical Twinbee (AC)
Twinbee (NES)
Moero Twinbee / Stinger (NES)
Twinbee 3 (NES)
Twinbee (MSX)
Detana Twinbee (PCE)
Twinbee (X68k)
Detana Twinbee (X68k)
Pop'n Twinbee (SNES)
Pop' Twinbee: Rainbowbell Adventures
Pop'n Twinbee (GB)
Pop'n Twinbee ReBirth

Konami Vol. 5: Parodius
Parodius (AC)
Gokujou Parodius / Fantastic Journey (AC)
Sexy Parodius (AC)
Parodius: Tako Saves the Earth (MSX)
Parodius (NES)
Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy (SNES)
Gokujou Parodius (SNES)
Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius (SNES)
Parodius (PCE)
Parodius (X86k)
Parodius (GB)
Parodius ReBirth

Konami Vol. 7: Mystical Ninja
Mr. Goemon (AC)
Ganbare Goemon (NES)
Ganbare Goemon 2 (NES)
Ganbare Goemon (MSX)
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES)
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2 (SNES)
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 3 (SNES)
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 4 (SNES)
Mystical Ninja starring Goemon (GB) *1st action game, not the arpg
Mystical Ninja ReBirth starring Goemon

Konami Vol. 8: Metal Gear
Metal Gear (MSX)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX)
SD Snatcher (MSX)
Snatcher (MSX)
Metal Gear (NES)
Snake's Revenge (NES)
Snatcher (PCE)
Snatcher (MD)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel ReBirth

Hudson Vol. 1: Star Soldier
Star Soldier (NES)
Starship Hector (NES)
Star Soldier (MSX)
Super Star Soldier (PCE)
Blazing Lazers (PCE)
Final Soldier (PCE)
Soldier Blade (PCE)
Star Parodier (PCE)
Star Soldier ReBirth

Hudson Vol. 2: Adventure Island
Adventure Island (NES)
Adventure Island II (NES)
Adventure Island III (NES)
Adventure Island IV (NES)
Adventure Island (MSX)
New Adventure Island (PCE)
Super Adventure Island (SNES)
Super Adventure Island II (SNES)
Adventure Island (GB)
Adventure Island II (GB)
Adventure Island ReBirth

Hudson Vol. 3: Bomberman
Bomberman (NES)
Bomberman II (NES)
Bomberman Special (MSX)
Bomberman (PCE)
Bomberman '93 (PCE)
Bomberman '94 (PCE)
Super Bomberman (SNES)
Super Bomberman 2 (SNES)
Super Bomberman 3 (SNES)
Super Bomberman 4 (SNES)
Mega Bomberman (MD)
Bomberboy / Atomic Punk (GB)
Bomberman GB (GB)
Bomberman GB 2 (GB)
Bomberman GB 3 (GB)
Bomberman ReBirth Online

Hudson Vol. 4: Bonk
Bonk's Adventure (PCE)
Bonk's Revenge (PCE)
Bonk III: Bonk's Big Adventure (PCE)
Air Zonk (PCE)
Super Air Zonk: Rocabilly Paradise (PCE)
Bonk's Adventure (NES)
Super Bonk (SNES)
Super Bonk 2 (SNES)
Bonk's Adventure (GB)
Bonk's Revenge (GB)
Bonk's ReBirth Revenge

Konami Vol. E: Tiny Toon Adventures
Tiny Toon Adventures (NES)
Tiny Toon Adventures 2: Trouble in Wackyland (NES)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure (MD)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose (SNES)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Montana's Movie Madness (GB)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big ReBirth

Konami Vol. X: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (AC)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (AC)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project (NES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (MD)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Manhattan Project: Arcade Game ReBirth
Jesus man. Great job, seriously.

120v

not 100% understanding how these mergers can work out, but wasn't it the 'hudson soft division' (if such a thing exists) responsible for bomberman R?

because i can't see konami doing jack with contra, castlevania ect. even a compilation is wishful thing

Castlevania has a special place in my heart. My Mii was a (poor) attempt at Juste Belmont, but later on, I changed its appearance.

I would hope that a 2D Castlevania takes its inspiration from the DS entries AND Simon's Quest, with day and night gameplay, but on a bigger scale, and with the Vampire Killer/Whip taking centre stage as the weapon of choice. More towns/terrains/zones to explore would be cool, too. In terms of visual presentation, I feel that it could move on from the "DS and Harmony Of Despair look". I was impressed with what Vanillaware did with Dragon's Crown on the PS3 and Vita, and perhaps that look could work in a Castlevania title.

I still believe that a 3D Castlevania has lots of potential, ESPECIALLY on the Switch. The Joy-Con controller could be used as a whip, with the HD Rumble feature used to give the impact of a critical hit, or to create the impression of cobwebs and creepy things on your skin in close combat, or when you enter a haunted castle - I remember somebody suggesting a similar idea for a visual horror novel. For visual presentation, I feel that it could take inspiration from Bayonetta, the 3DS Fire Emblem titles, but in HD, or TMS#FE, or Persona 5. At least, I would prefer that to a "realistic" presentation.

Top Bottom