• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami is the worst of this generation.

Silky

Banned
As I look into the calendar of upcoming releases, I recently spotted that the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection had released for the Playstation 3. I shouldn't be surprised at another MGS title being released at such a fast pace, but the fact that the title has no advertisement whatsoever is pretty sad. Especially considering that it's Konami's only franchise running for them right now.

Which is sad in it's own. This Generation, I would like to say that Konami is the absolute worst publisher and developer. I don't like saying this because, as both a Silent Hill and MGS fan, among other things, it sucks to say.

-Godawful Reboots of beloved franchises
Bomberman: Act Zero is a perfect example to use for games that /don't/ need a gritty reboot to appeal to a wider audience. Act Zero absolutely tarnished what reputation of what the Franchise and Hudson Soft. and general had with godawful gameplay and art direction. Not to mention that, before Bomberman LIVE, it was the first Bomberman title to have online play. Which they, of course, botched the hell out of. Other notable blemishes are, of course, Silent Hill: HOMECOMING OH GOD I FUCKED UP I MEANT HOMECOMING NONONONO SHATTERED MEMORIES WAS GOOD, Dance Dance Revolution, Sparkster, the myriad of piss poor Frogger titles, and (this is my opinion, I know the game is normally well recieved in other places) Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

Terrible New IPs, and gaining more IPs to not do anything with at all
As a Dynasty Warriors fan, my reaction to the Ninety-Nine Nights series was pretty lukewarm. The title felt to me like it was just intended to be a tech demo to show off what the Xbox 360 can do. So when the sequel released I figured to give the first game the benefit of doubt in regards to it being a launch/near launch title. The second title just managed to dampen my spirits more of the title. Fluxuating difficulty from brain dead easy to totally unnessecary hard, dead voice acting, ass online ONCE AGAIN from Konami. It felt more rushed than the original title. After that, there wasn't anything really notable in the new IP department for Konami,

Then came the acquisition of Hudson Soft by Konami, which was last year. With Konami now owning the Bomberman, Bonk, Lode Runner and Fuzion Frenzy (?) IPs, you would figure that the company would do something measurable with those franchises? Hell, Bonk had an HD release ready to be released, but nothing came out. Nothing since last year has been produced by Konami's Digital Front.

Poor treatment of their legacy IPs with awful HD re-releases.
Silent Hill HD, for Konami, could have been the easiest moneymaker in the century. Silent Hill in general had a very large upswing with an upcoming (awful) continuation of the franchise, a (decent enough) film, an (awful) Vita title, and of course, the HD collection of two of the greatest Silent Hill titles. With the success of the HD collection of MGS, you would figure that Konami wouldn't fuck up Silent Hill, right? ...Well, they did. Awfully. So awfully that the titles on their worst incarnations look better than what the HD collection produced. Not even the future patch (that 360 owners didn't get) couldn't fix that botch job of shit that the SH HD was. Then we get an underclocked HD port of Zone of the Enders--a very niche series-- that was supposed to reignite faith in the franchise. At that point of it's release, it was sadly only known for having a demo for MGS: Revengeance.

So, at this point, Konami is nothing more than Metal Gear machine. After being burned too many times by their prior escapades, I don't feel good about supporting their titles, regardless if their only acting as a publisher. I hope that at least for the next generation, Konami gets their shit together.

I've yet to buy Metal Gear Rising: Revengance because of my disaste for Konami.

Aww, OP, why did you have to remind me that Konami acquired then dissolved Hudson Soft?

I'll never forgive them for that.

RIP Hudson Soft. :-(

Revengeance is a fucking awesome game. Even if Konami has been terrible this generation, that's no excuse not to play one of the best action games of 2013.

EDarkness

Let's not forget the Castlevania fighting game for the Wii. Yeah, those guys are all kinds of screwed up. I haven't purchased one of their games in years.

Kokonoe

Banned
They gave me my favorite XBLA/PSN title of this generation, Castlevania Harmony of Despair, and gave us Yu-Gi-Oh! WC 2012 Over the Nexus which was pretty good.

Unfortunately, they gave us Decade Duels which only had like 1,000 cards and had over expensive DLC with the most tedious way to unlock cards ever in a Yu-Gi-Oh! game where you could literally never get a card you need or multiples.

antitrop

One in one mirrion?

konami-e3-2010-o.gif

Veal

As I look into the calendar of upcoming releases, I recently spotted that the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection had released for the Playstation 3. I shouldn't be surprised at another MGS title being released at such a fast pace, but the fact that the title has no advertisement whatsoever is pretty sad. Especially considering that it's Konami's only franchise running for them right now.

Which is sad in it's own. This Generation, I would like to say that Konami is the absolute worst publisher and developer. I don't like saying this because, as both a Silent Hill and MGS fan, among other things, it sucks to say.

-Godawful Reboots of beloved franchises
Bomberman: Act Zero is a perfect example to use for games that /don't/ need a gritty reboot to appeal to a wider audience. Act Zero absolutely tarnished what reputation of what the Franchise and Hudson Soft. and general had with godawful gameplay and art direction. Not to mention that, before Bomberman LIVE, it was the first Bomberman title to have online play. Which they, of course, botched the hell out of. Other notable blemishes are, of course, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Dance Dance Revolution, Sparkster, the myriad of piss poor Frogger titles, and (this is my opinion, I know the game is normally well recieved in other places) Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

Terrible New IPs, and gaining more IPs to not do anything with at all
As a Dynasty Warriors fan, my reaction to the Ninety-Nine Nights series was pretty lukewarm. The title felt to me like it was just intended to be a tech demo to show off what the Xbox 360 can do. So when the sequel released I figured to give the first game the benefit of doubt in regards to it being a launch/near launch title. The second title just managed to dampen my spirits more of the title. Fluxuating difficulty from brain dead easy to totally unnessecary hard, dead voice acting, ass online ONCE AGAIN from Konami. It felt more rushed than the original title. After that, there wasn't anything really notable in the new IP department for Konami,

Then came the acquisition of Hudson Soft by Konami, which was last year. With Konami now owning the Bomberman, Bonk, Lode Runner and Fuzion Frenzy (?) IPs, you would figure that the company would do something measurable with those franchises? Hell, Bonk had an HD release ready to be released, but nothing came out. Nothing since last year has been produced by Konami's Digital Front.

Poor treatment of their legacy IPs with awful HD re-releases.
Silent Hill HD, for Konami, could have been the easiest moneymaker in the century. Silent Hill in general had a very large upswing with an upcoming (awful) continuation of the franchise, a (decent enough) film, an (awful) Vita title, and of course, the HD collection of two of the greatest Silent Hill titles. With the success of the HD collection of MGS, you would figure that Konami wouldn't fuck up Silent Hill, right? ...Well, they did. Awfully. So awfully that the titles on their worst incarnations look better than what the HD collection produced. Not even the future patch (that 360 owners didn't get) couldn't fix that botch job of shit that the SH HD was. Then we get an underclocked HD port of Zone of the Enders--a very niche series-- that was supposed to reignite faith in the franchise. At that point of it's release, it was sadly only known for having a demo for MGS: Revengeance.

So, at this point, Konami is nothing more than Metal Gear machine. After being burned too many times by their prior escapades, I don't feel good about supporting their titles, regardless if their only acting as a publisher. I hope that at least for the next generation, Konami gets their shit together.

I've yet to buy Metal Gear Rising: Revengance because of my disaste for Konami.

Agree with everything except for this. SH:SM was amazin.

Goon Boon

Banned
Yeah, fuck Konami for shelving Megaman, putting in loads of on disc dlc in their games, their likely support of Xbone, their recent shenanigans with no US physical version of Ace Attorney 5, and many other major fuck ups/problems with their company.

MechaX

Konami recently earned a little bit of respect for me for actually going ahead and fixing the HD version of Zone of the Enders 2 after High Voltage thoroughly fucked things up.

It tremendously sucks that it's for the PS3 version only, and that releasing it in it's shitty state to begin with ruined a lot of good will, but I'm surprised they got a competent developer on board to fix it at all.

oSoLucky

I have to go with EA on this one. In addition to taking their sports franchise rehash to a whole new level(releasing FIFA 12 on Wii U with new rosters and marketing it as FIFA 13), they also managed to help with popularizing Online Passes, absurd DLC practices and ridiculous DRM.

On top of all of these, they killed the soul of some very popular franchises for the sake of "mass appeal"(Dragon Age, Dead Space, SSX). I also can't remember a franchise getting more iterations on more platforms than NFS has this generation, while they were killing the Hot Pursuit fun factor in the process. Rock Band was almost as egregious as NFS while that fad was still a thing. Also, just the fact that NFL2k5 is still arguable as the best American Football game is pretty telling as for the quality of Madden.

Burnout Paradise and BF:BC2 were a couple of the few bright spots for EA this gen. I in no way like what Konami's doing but it's hard for me to say that anyone was worse than EA this gen, and how they helped push a lot of seemingly anti-consumer practices into fruition.

Yep, Konami was responsible for killing off Hudson Soft this generation, including canning a new Kororinpa game that was in development. They're the absolute worst. ;__;

Throughout the 7th gen, Konami has given us:

1) Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

2) Metal Gear Rising

3) Metal Gear Solid IV

4) Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

5) Lost in Blue 1 & 2 & 3 (My guilty pleasure :p)

6) Lunar Knights

7) Contra 4

8) Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow / Portrait of Ruin / Order of Ecclesia

While they've scaled down their business considerably recently, they've still given us some fantastic experiences throughout the gen.

I personally like Lords of Shadow and Mirror of Fate. Looking forward to Lords of Shadow 2. But I still wish Iga made a MetroVania for the 3DS. :(

Just glad that we at least got Hard Corps Uprising. Love that game.

Silky

Banned
Yeah, fuck Konami for shelving Megaman, putting in loads of on disc dlc in their games, their likely support of Xbone, their recent shenanigans with no US physical version of Ace Attorney 5, and many other major fuck ups/problems with their company.

>Shelving Bomberman
>Castlevania: HoD DLC, and that not having it essentially makes the game unplayable.
>Supporting Xbone

But, you forget that Capcom actually still makes worthwhile titles.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
Burying SH and ZOE, re-releasing MGS games every other weekend. Konami is getting a little desperate indeed.

And I am not very optimistic about how Castlevania and MGR will perform on the PC either.

EDarkness

Be careful, man. I heard this is bannable.

Silky

Banned
...So...I fucked up.

I meant Silent Hill: Homecoming instead of Shattered Memories.

It's 1:45 AM and I'm kind of sleepy leave me alone

KingJ2002

I agree

their only gems were

Metal Gear Solid 4 / Rising

Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow 1 / 2

Bomberman Live

everything else... basura

GamerJM

Banned
Indeed. Where's my Beatmania IIDX home console release? And DrumMania? God, there was so much potential in the Bemani department and they blew it. Resources wasted on games that stay in Japanese arcades.

Ignoring the three very good DS Castlevanias makes me sad. Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth is also a surprisingly solid game for old school lovers, though it's forever locked in the dusty vault of Wiiware. I'll echo those supporting Shattered Memories; the decision to link it to the first Silent Hill was Konami's afaik, and I think that was a mistake, but it stands well on its own. And hey, Homecoming had one hell of a soundtrack and some amazing visuals. In any case, you shouldn't deny yourself the glory of MGRR.

GamerJM

Banned
Ignoring the three very good DS Castlevanias makes me sad. Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth is also a surprisingly solid game for old school lovers, though it's forever locked in the dusty vault of Wiiware. I'll echo those supporting Shattered Memories; the decision to link it to the first Silent Hill was Konami's afaik, and I think that was a mistake, but it stands well on its own. And hey, Homecoming had one hell of a soundtrack and some amazing visuals. In any case, you shouldn't deny yourself the glory of MGRR.

Wasn't there also a good Gradius game for Wiiware? There was also a Contra one as well.

2) Metal Gear Rising

3) Metal Gear Solid IV

6) Lunar Knights

7) Contra 4

While they've scaled down their business considerably recently, they've still given us some fantastic experiences throughout the gen.
That is pretty terrible

Especially that you'd consider the new SH games a good thing when we should have gotten Silent Hill 5 from Team Silent

dog$

Hates quality gaming
A review of this recent thread might be in order.

Things for Konami aren't so dire if you look at the full picture.

Where's my Beatmania IIDX home console release?... Resources wasted on games that stay in Japanese arcades.
The CS releases tapered off, and IIDX is the kind of game which is nearly unplayable at homes with laggy HDTVs.

Regardless, I wouldn't call those resources wasted. I'd rather there be only arcade IIDX than no IIDX.

Riposte

2) Metal Gear Rising

3) Metal Gear Solid IV

6) Lunar Knights

7) Contra 4

Mentions Contra 4, but not Hard Corps. Shame.

MrT-Tar

What about the whole MGS 3D situation? Originally teased as a full 3D remake of Snake Eater, then relegated to a port, a highly flawed one as well. And then Konami decided to destroy it's sales potential by announcing the MGS collection, and then releasing it before Snake Eater 3D.

I still haven no idea how they thought that was a good idea.

Top Bottom