• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami is the worst of this generation.

Mr. RHC

I agree

their only gems were

Metal Gear Solid 4 / Rising

Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow 1 / 2

Peace Walker

Bomberman Live

Piece Walker TM

Metal Gear Solid Touch

everything else... basura

Fixedited.

Can't believe there is so little love for Metal Gear Solid Touch! :p

No, I think MGS4 and Lords Of Shadow are very redeeming but then they didn't need redemption in the first place imo, unlike Square Enix.

Willfully ignoring Metal Gear, Castlevania, Pro Evolution Soccer and titles such as Silent Hill: Shattered Memories or Lunar Knights? Yeah, I totally agree.

Ahasverus

I mentioned how I didn't like Lords of Shadow.
you cray

Hey Konami, reboot Sunset Riders with fox engine as an open world title RDR clone with the most brutal storyline ever conceived, wait for those GOTY awards rain.

You're welcome.
Willfully ignoring Metal Gear, Castlevania, Pro Evolution Soccer and titles such as Silent Hill: Shattered Memories or Lunar Knights? Yeah, I totally agree.
And Silent HIll Downpour, give it chance, it's bette than 4. Only true SH this gen.

Silky

Banned

Everyone loves Metal Gear, I hate Soccer, Castlevania LoS didn't appeal to me, and I'm not a fan of Lunar.

And Silent HIll Downpour, give it chance, it's bette than 4. Only true SH this gen.

It was decent. Not as good as 4 or Shattered Memories, but decent.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Capcom is a shitty shitty company, and the only reason anyone tolerates them is because they make decent games.

Between the Mega Man fiasco, the fact that they're now asking me to buy Street Fighter 4 for the Nth time, and wait, Bionic Commando successful??? REALLY???
Well, in the case of Street Fighter, I almost find it nostalgic as it's the same kind of thing they did back in the day (though not to that insane degree).

Bionic Commando was not a sales success but as a game? It was fantastic. Rearmed was absolutely amazing and, on the PC, the reboot was also a hell of a lot of fun. Rearmed 2 was also good.

Cwarrior

Konami has achieved near global irreverence, with each gen since the snes/genesis era they been going downhill now there at the point no matter what they do they can't disappoint or anger anyone since they have very little mind share.

What has konami done this gen

Bought Hudson soft and killed off the company and it's franchise like bomberman
Killed off Goemon and got rid of the goemon team
Killed the internal igavania team and outsource castlevania
Killed off the silent hill team and outsourced the franchise to make some bad games and an unplayable hd remaster
sukioden who? gone
Pro evo soccor has become a sad joke
Failed to make mgs revengence so they outsourced it to developer that can, then made a video ridiculing the team that failed.

All in all there E3 Press conference was Legendary!

Endo Punk

Konami invested too much into Fox engine so they couldn't put out enough quality games. Now that the engine is finished I hope we get more and more games. MGS isn't enough they need to start developing more quality new IP's, and for fudge sake give Silent Hill to someone competent!

And personally I think they should purchase Platinum and allow them to create whatever they want. It will be the best decision they ever made.

.la1n

I miss Hudson Soft, so much great IP in there that will probably never be properly utilized ever again.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Bomberman: Act Zero is a perfect example to use for games that /don't/ need a gritty reboot to appeal to a wider audience. Act Zero absolutely tarnished what reputation of what the Franchise and Hudson Soft. and general had with godawful gameplay and art direction. Not to mention that, before Bomberman LIVE, it was the first Bomberman title to have online play. Which they, of course, botched the hell out of.

KG1PjKO.jpg

Defunkled

Don't let their shitty output keep you from playing Metal Gear Rising. Easily one of the best action games of the last 5 years.

Lords of Shadow was fantastic and I eagerly await the sequel. I thought Konami made a great decision moving Castlevania forward beyond Iga. I'm not a real MGS fan though so beyond Castlevania at this point they do little that interests me.
Lords of Shadow was a different IP with Castlevania elements shoehorned in. It would have been better off as its own series.

Jockel

Uhm, hyperbole much?
Konami sure made quite a few mistakes, but they're far from the worst publisher or developer.

But that's the internet pretty much. Everything is either the worst or the best thing ever.

Raitaro

So, at this point, Konami is nothing more than Metal Gear machine. After being burned too many times by their prior escapades, I don't feel good about supporting their titles, regardless if their only acting as a publisher. I hope that at least for the next generation, Konami gets their shit together.

I really feel sad for having to agree with this assessment OP. Konami used to be high up there in the gaming pantheon for us all, right next to Capcom, Nintendo, Sega in fact. That they now are betting almost everything on one (be it good) franchise is depressing to me.

Just think how cool it would be if they had released frequent updates to Contra, Sparkster, Gradius / Parodius and Ganbare Goemon throughout the years and that these would have evolved along side Metal Gear into relevant and popular modern franchises as well? Or how about some good licensed games such as the TMNT ones from the past, or even new IP's that rival their old output just as Capcom has more or less successfully tried to do?

And while I welcome the fact that they still bother to do something with the Castlevania brand, I'm still not sure if the lastest games (while being pretty good) are what I want for that franchise (heck, if they do have to ape another franchise, make it Dark Souls instead of God of War seeing as the old Castlevania gameplay already was quite slow and difficult).

Their take-over of Hudson Soft is also depressing to say the least. At least do SOMETHING with the more popluar Hudson brands such as Bomberman, Konami. We beg of you! (Here is a free idea: why not release a colorful Wii U multiplayer focused Bomberman in the vain of Pacman Vs.?)

Silky

Banned
Uhm, hyperbole much?
Konami sure made quite a few mistakes, but they're far from the worst publisher or developer.

But that's the internet pretty much. Everything is either the worst or the best thing ever.

"the worst of this generation."

You're saying Sega is releasing better games than they did on the Dreamcast (PS2 era or below)? You guys are crazy!

They aren't worse than on PS2 but not as good as they were on Dreamcast and early Xbox.

Sega's most notable PS2 series, Yakuza, has envolved the most this Generation. For their RPG''s with their Sakura Wars series (JP only bit still) and Skies of Arcadia, they countinued that legacy well with Valkyria Chronicles.

Sonic has been a mixed bag (since the DC), Phantasy Star went downhill, and their Xbox output was killed (Smilebit's games) and no Shenmue 3...but they published Platinum Games, fixed up Sonic and Phantasy Star.

Also; Metal Gear Rising, selling a game in fragments.

I don't know if it was Konami's or Platinum's idea but selling a -barely- 6 hour game and THEN release a ton load of VR missions and 2 side stories as DLC is real fucking stupid.

Personally I don't really care about the game's length but from the average costumer's point of view a game sold in pieces in not really alluring no matter how you sugar coat it. The vast majority of the game reviews were strongly favourable and all of them said this one thing: the game is short. And when the gamer hears that they immediately think "well I will probably buy it one day but it's not worth the full retail price"

One thing many of those reviews may have glossed over was the Game+ aspect, where you could take new weapons, abilities, costumes, etc into higher difficulties that made a world of difference.

Konami and Platinum sold me an 80+ hour game, so far; even each story DLC I could get 10 hours out of. It's not the story length, but how it's fun enough to make you keep coming back.

zroid

Banned
Konami just doesn't know what the fuck it's doing these days. They have serious company-wide issues, not just related to development, but PR/marketing and all the rest of it.

They did release a handful of gems this generation, but overall it was a mess. The only thing they actually have any competence in is Metal Gear, and that's because they seemingly take a hands-off approach. Konami just tells Kojipro to make another Metal Gear, Kojipro is like "okay", and they handle the rest. I bet it wasn't Konami the publisher's idea to give MGR to P*, because that was a great idea, and they're not capable of great ideas.

Elebits was a pretty good game.
Nintendo is the worst of this generation. The Wii was absolutely horrible for console japanese development in the end. They don't generally release anything but Mario and Zelda which I officially got sick of (never thought I would for Zelda but I couldn't even finish Skyward Sword).

Konami is horrible for fucking up Suikoden by releasing it on handhelds in a completely different format than previous games. But they did make MGS4 this generation which is still the best game of this generation (ME3 would beat it if the ending was a bit tighter) in my opinion.

1. Not many major japanese publishers gave wii that much support. The most support came from marvelous and they are still pretty fine.
2. Wii had two zelda games (3 if you count crossbow training) and three mario platformer games. On top they had a wide range of games incl. Old (punchout, donkey kong, smash bros) and new ip(xenoblade, last story, wii sports, wii fit, regonleiv).

Duxxy3

No metroidvania.

That is the only game that I want from Konami and there has not been one since OoE, hasn't been a console one since SOTN (that xbla game doesn't count).

The only thing I have had to get me through my metroidvania fix was monster tale, and that was back in 2011.

Dammit Konami I need my fix!!

Opiate

I can defiitely imagine they're the worst for long term fans, but they've been a very successful company precisely because they've abandoned their fans and explored other avenues. For those who don't know, Konami has been quite profitable this generation; in an age when SquareEnix and EA and Take 2 and Sony and THQ have all lost considerable amounts of money, Konami has grown significantly thanks to their refocusing on fitness centers outside of gaming and mobile devices in gaming.

Silky

Banned
I can defiitely imagine they're the worst for long term fans, but they've been a very successful company specifically because they've abandoned their fans and explored other avenues. In an age when SquareEnix and EA and Take 2 and Sony and THQ have all lost considerable amounts of money, Konami has grown significantly thanks to their refocusing on fitness centers outside of gaming and mobile devices in gaming.

...Fitness Centers? Now I've never heard of this.

Opiate

...Fitness Centers? Now I've never heard of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konami

Konami Corporation (Japanese: コナミ株式会社 Hepburn: Konami Kabushiki-gaisha?) TYO: 9766 NYSE: KNM is a Japanese developer and publisher of numerous toys, trading cards, anime, tokusatsu, slot machines, arcade cabinets, video games, and additionally operates health and physical fitness clubs in Japan.

"Video games" as we know them just aren't Konami's primary business anymore. Much to their benefit, economically.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
One thing many of those reviews may have glossed over was the Game+ aspect.........

I've played the game over and over myself but most people don't care that much and the sales showed that. Replay value is not an excuse to fragment the game. Bayonetta had almost twice the main story length.

Milking the loyal gamers and alienating a wider audience is a dumb idea. If sales were better, we would already be talking about a sequel.

Revengeance is a fucking awesome game. Even if Konami has been terrible this generation, that's no excuse not to play one of the best action games of 2013.

Best action games EVER. It's pretty much the *only* action game of 2013, IMO.

Sure Silent Hill HD collection had a bit of issues, as well as ZOE HD... but apparently ZOE HD just got a patch, long after the game's release to finally fix the problems. MGS HD was good on consoles and on Vita (save for the lack of PW HD being ported). Revengeance is one of the best games put out this generation. I justed picked up the SH:BoM game for Vita on sale last week and it's a fun game. Konami put out Hard Corps. The list goes on and on.

Anyway, Konami is fine. There's much worse out there.

Top Bottom