• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami is the worst of this generation.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
too bad you'll never see another metroidvania of that quality again. franchise is stuck with that shitty mercurysteam.

Oh don't be like that.

Lords of Shadow isn't what I want from Castlevania, but it's not a bad game, and Mercurysteam isn't a bad developer.

And besides, they're supposed to be done with Lords of Shadow once 2 releases, there's a chance Castlevania will get another MetroidVania type title in the future.

Thats true, but between SotN, the GBA games and the DS ones, I've got enough to last me a lifetime.

No, I'm afraid you don't.

This is coming from a guy who goes by Creaking and has 100% completion in just about every one of the GBA and DS Castlevanias. They will last some time... but not long enough.

Oh don't be like that.

Lords of Shadow isn't what I want from Castlevania, but it's not a bad game, and Mercurysteam isn't a bad developer.

And besides, they're supposed to be done with Lords of Shadow once 2 releases, there's a chance Castlevania will get another MetroidVania type title in the future.

i tried to like LoS, but the game had terrible framerate along with lots of QTEs. On top of that, the titans fight was one of the most frustrating ever.

As for MoF, after years of metroidvania excellency, this one felt very clunky and mediocre.

Tabris

Nintendo is the worst of this generation. The Wii was absolutely horrible for console japanese development in the end. They don't generally release anything but Mario and Zelda which I officially got sick of (never thought I would for Zelda but I couldn't even finish Skyward Sword).

Konami is horrible for fucking up Suikoden by releasing it on handhelds in a completely different format than previous games. But they did make MGS4 this generation which is still the best game of this generation (ME3 would beat it if the ending was a bit tighter) in my opinion.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
i tried to like LoS, but the game had terrible framerate along with lots of QTEs. On top of that, the titans fight was one of the most frustrating ever.

As for MoF, after years of metroidvania excellency, this one felt very clunky and mediocre.

Well then, as I said, Lords of Shadow 2 is to be MercurySteam's last contribution to the Castlevania franchise. That's later this year, so be glad!

iMerc

It's even more heartbreaking considering how fantastic Konami used to be. during every generation before this one.

To be fair though, it's only been the last few years that Konami have just been 'MIA' in awareness and productivity.
The beginning years of the ds/wii/ps3/360 gen was fairly good for them.

Also, SH:SM was not developed by Konami, so i don't think they should get credit for that title.

Aww, OP, why did you have to remind me that Konami acquired then dissolved Hudson Soft?

I'll never forgive them for that.

RIP Hudson Soft. :-(

not completely true though. you can sleep easy knowing a large portion of the people that made up Hudson are now employed over at NDCube. Hell, the former president of Hudson Soft; Hidetoshi Endo is even heading the company.

redcrayon

No, I'm afraid you don't.

This is coming from a guy who goes by Creaking and has 100% completion in just about every one of the GBA and DS Castlevanias. They will last some time... but not long enough.
Hah hah, I expect I have less gaming time than you do, it takes me about a month to get through them each time I replay them! :)

I appreciate the sentiment though- of course I'd love more 2D Castlevania action.

Tabris

Question, is there any japanese development studio that is doing the same or better than PS2 or pre-PS2 era?

My gaming used to be 75% japanese studio games / 25% western studio games. Exact opposite now.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Konami would probably leave the video game biz entirely and focus on their health spas stuff if it weren't for Metal Gear. They still might.

Vlodril

They let suikoden die. sure lets make 100 metal gear games.. i wonder what they ll do if and when metal gear crashes.

Yeah, Konami is really struggling right now.

But their treatment of the Suikoden series is their most egregious offense.
true that
instead of hiring a new writer and continue the plot somehow, they just keep making spin-off, which the latest one doesn't even have 108 character

Tabris

From Software, Falcom, Grasshopper, Access Games, Nintendo, and uh...

Really? on that one, I said what game studio that is doing the same or better than PS2 or pre-PS2? Do you really think that Nintendo's releases are better than what they've released on SNES, NES, N64, Gamecube?

EDIT - Access Games wasn't around until 2002 and only released 1 game during PS2 era.

Tabris

and Level 5 and Sega and uh...

You're saying Sega is releasing better games than they did on the Dreamcast (PS2 era or below)? You guys are crazy!

The only good example you guys have given is Level 5 and From Software, and both are debatable, Dark Cloud and Tenchu were good series.

Tabris

and uh... Atlus?

The problem with Atlus is they shifted to handheld development this generation. So for me personally, they are not the same. I don't like handheld gaming.

EDIT - Also sorry for derailing the thread. It just frustrates me so much how far console japanese development has fallen.

Petrae

It's a close race to the bottom between Konami and Capcom. I tend to put Capcom at the bottom because of the publisher's awful business decisions last gen. On-disc DLC, PS3 DRM for Final Fight, Multiplayer modes costing extra, ruining Resident Evil, Lost Planet was awful (both of them)... and I could share more, but you get the point.

Konami dropped the ball with Castlevania (Lords of Shadow should've been a standalone IP) and the publisher probably could've done more with its stable of IPs. This old man remembers a stronger Konami, with new Contra and Castlevania offerings combined with strategic licensing moves... but that Konami is long since dead.

Oh, and speaking of dead. NeverDead. Ugh.

Capcom gets my vote for worst of the generation, but an argument can certainly be heard for Konami. Square, too.

Really? on that one, I said what game studio that is doing the same or better than PS2 or pre-PS2? Do you really think that Nintendo's releases are better than what they've released on SNES, NES, N64, Gamecube?
I think their output on Wii is definitely better than on Gamecube, especially if you include games they contracted and published. And the N64 had a handful of stone cold classics, but overall the breadth of software on Wii is far superior. The DS had a lot great Nintendo games as well. I personally find your incredulity hard to understand, except that I'm sort of used to "Lol, Wii" by now.

rvy

Banned
Konami is like the rich douchebag that has a trophy wife at home but can't figure out how to have sex with her. So he lets his friends have a go at her, but those friends are even more inept at having sex than Konami itself.

The moment I found out about Lords of Shadow being a reboot, I was like "Well, that's that" as far as my purchases of any future Konami products went.

Order of Ecclesia was my GOTY 2008. I beat it at least six times that I remember, possibly more, in every combination of modes you can think of and have gotten 100% completion maybe three out of every four times. Yes, this includes Level 1 cap on hard mode without new game+ or boss rush items.

Ever since I bought Dawn of Sorrow once on a whim, I've been hooked on this series. I went back and bought, beat and broke open each of the GBA games, Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood (the latter two on PSP). One of the main things I was waiting for when I got a 3DS was a new Castlevania game in this vein.

I've been waiting five years now. I could wait a thousand more and never see another Castlevania again.

I think their output on Wii is definitely better than on Gamecube, especially if you include games they contracted and published. And the N64 had a handful of stone cold classics, but overall the breadth of software on Wii is far superior. The DS had a lot great Nintendo games as well. I personally find your incredulity hard to understand, except that I'm sort of used to "Lol, Wii" by now.
Mario Galaxy alone puts Nintendo's console output last gen over that of the GameCube, Metroid Prime and Wind Waker notwithstanding. That's not even bringing up Galaxy 2 or Xenoblade.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
Also; Metal Gear Rising, selling a game in fragments.

I don't know if it was Konami's or Platinum's idea but selling a -barely- 6 hour game and THEN release a ton load of VR missions and 2 side stories as DLC is real fucking stupid.

Personally I don't really care about the game's length but from the average costumer's point of view a game sold in pieces in not really alluring no matter how you sugar coat it. The vast majority of the game reviews were strongly favourable and all of them said this one thing: the game is short. And when the gamer hears that they immediately think "well I will probably buy it one day but it's not worth the full retail price"

dog$

Hates quality gaming
The music for the bemani series is getting worse with each game.
I have to disagree with this.

I grant that my only exposure is to what Bemani music I hear is in the IIDX series, but I feel like the last three in particular (Resort Anthem, Lincle, Tricoro) have been as strong as any of the rest in the series in terms of songs which are 1) pretty good (5-10 or so), 2) inoffensively mediocre (the balance between (1) and (3)), and 3) total shit (4 or so). This is roughly the same ratio which I would consider to apply to any other game in the series.
The only decent thing they've done for bemani outside of the arcade
Again, it's aggravating that they can't conceive of a way to capitalize on their resources for the market outside of arcades, but their support of Bemani, such as it presently is, is preferable to their total abandonment of Bemani.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
can you imagine how bad Square Enix would look if they hadn't acquired Eidos?

jluedtke

Then came the acquisition of Hudson Soft by Konami, which was last year. With Konami now owning the Bomberman, Bonk, Lode Runner and Fuzion Frenzy (?) IPs, you would figure that the company would do something measurable with those franchises? Hell, Bonk had an HD release ready to be released, but nothing came out. Nothing since last year has been produced by Konami's Digital Front

Thanks for the reminder. Jerk.

Can someone put a teardrop on my avatar?

Lords of Shadow was fantastic and I eagerly await the sequel. I thought Konami made a great decision moving Castlevania forward beyond Iga. I'm not a real MGS fan though so beyond Castlevania at this point they do little that interests me.

They've been bad, but I don't know, I think Capcom has been worse. And the sad part is that they started the generation off well, but have really tanked hard over the past few years.

What about the whole MGS 3D situation? Originally teased as a full 3D remake of Snake Eater, then relegated to a port, a highly flawed one as well. And then Konami decided to destroy it's sales potential by announcing the MGS collection, and then releasing it before Snake Eater 3D.

I still haven no idea how they thought that was a good idea.

This is precisely why Snake needs to be cut from Super Smash Bros.

Sponge

Banned
Konami is still doing things? Honestly you could have fooled me. I only know Kojipro to be doing anything as of late.

espher

I have to go with EA on this one. [...] Rock Band was almost as egregious as NFS while that fad was still a thing.

Just throwing it out there, EA had nothing to do with RB in that capacity. They were only a distrbutor. And I don't even think RB was that bad, anyway, since they had (with the exception of a few exports and TB:RB) the whole forwards compatible thing going on.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Totally agreed. I wouldn't have minded the Castlevania reboot as long as it stayed on consoles. Mirror of Fate was the Castlevania no one asked for. Also, they haven't even bothered releasing Gradius V on PSN. You forgot to mention that Pro Evo is a joke today.

RobertM

You forgot the biggest offender of them all: Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement
What a horrible art style of my beloved game.

I'll tell you one thing; I'm not happy with how they've been treating Castlevania. Where is IGA, and why is he not working on a proper 3DS entry?

keyrat

No mention of the Pro Evo / Wining Eleven franchise?

At the end of the PS2 era this franchise was known as the better game despite not having the FIFA license. They somehow managed to neglect it to the point where FIFA caught up.

They should have thrown some more resources on something that was a great product.

Totally agree. Wii had very little to get excited about on the 3rd party front, but Nintendo's own titles delivered for the most part. SNES will likely always win in this area, of course, but I actually felt Nintendo's output on Wii came pretty close.

Hystzen

without Kojima Konami will be screwed more which is why they keep him making MGS.

SE is a close second the fall from grace has been major this gen only worth while games I enjoyed where Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider and Deus Ex and that was only due to them publishing them

Silky

Banned
Despite their asshattery, Capcom still manages to at least try something new every year. Asura's Wrath, Remember Me, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, etc.

Not a single Castlevania mention in the OP *sight* well it's like their only success even if buthurt iga fans are crazy

I mentioned how I didn't like Lords of Shadow.

Top Bottom