• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami preparing for the next MGS

Salbug

The story of the Boss and how she became a member of the cobras and the mentor of Big Boss.

Or, a re-telling of Metal Gear 1 and 2.

If they were to do something that focused on either of these and had the same base gameplay mechanics from MGSV with slight improvements, I might give it a shot.

I might too actually, but I'll never hold my breath on it.

I'm actually interested in a mainline MGS game without Kojima's involvement. There's nothing stopping it from being a great game. I'm happy to see him move on to a new series.

I'm more concerned in Konami's commitment to such a project.

Fury451

Banned
Platinum Games is a hack western developer. Ok.

As much as I love the game, it's pretty clear that Platinum were working with a limited budget. Especially after the initial version was scrapped and retooled. They did wonders to deliver a great final product though.

But I think the original post you were quoting has more to do with their habits of farming out all of their other franchises to Western developers on the cheap, with little promotion or marketing. It sucks, because some of them really seem to try to make the most of what they had to work with, like Vatra and Silent Hill: Downpour. There was a good SH game in there, buried under technical issues and an obvious low-budget

If we get gameplay of MGSV and story of Portable Ops then that would be the best Metal Gear ever! What I am saying is that even though the gameplay of MGSV is stellar the story is pretty boring and characters bland but for example the story of Portable Ops, the story Kojima wasn't directly involved in making, is absolutely brilliant and my favourite in the series. What we need is either a re-make of MG/MG2 (which would be cool) or fresh minds that could come up with another great story like the one in Portable Ops. Because honestly, Portable Ops is almost a direct opposite of MGSV, meh gameplay but awesome story.

Yeah, definitely digging this idea. Portable Ops fits into the mainline well enough. Kojima constantly denies its canon status, but despite that people still debate as to whether or not its canon. The point being, they could potentially do that again and make a story that fits within the grand scheme of the main Metal Gear timeline, if not create a new story (whether it be set in the current universe or an entirely new one)!

As much as I love the game, it's pretty clear that Platinum were working with a limited budget. Especially after the initial version was scrapped and retooled. They did wonders to deliver a great final product though.

But I think the original post you were quoting has more to do with their habits of farming out all of their other franchises to Western developers on the cheap, with little promotion or marketing. It sucks, because some of them really seem to try to make the most of what they had to work with, like Vatra and Silent Hill: Downpour. There was a good SH game in there, buried under technical issues and an obvious low-budget

Yeah, for sure. I get the cause for concern, and I do understand his point. I just don't think we should overlook the good so often. It's true, Platinum didn't have much time to finish that - which is why if Rising 2 were to ever become a thing, they could make something really special. Even if development time isn't that generous, given Rising was done in such a limited time.

But yeah, totally agree about Silent Hill; I still liked the post-Team Silent entries though!

Ridley327

MGSV'S story is nonsense though. Hell I've not even been back in the Community thread for over 2 months because I'm still extremely pissed off at Kojima and Konami.

Is it really that more nonsensical than a game that ends with a wild goose chase with someone that tries to kill you with a rocket-propelled hand, only to be acting as a deflection for the real culprit: a young adult woman that was passing herself off as a teenager named Pacifica Ocean as she pilots a giant robot in her bathing suit.

Disxo

"Hello, this is Konami"

"Yes, may I speak to Hideo Kojima?"

"Is this a joke?"

"No."

"So you haven't heard?"

"Heard what?"

"He's not here now"

"Ok, do you know how I can reach him?"

"No."

*click*

Hmm, must be on vacation

LOL, poor kojima

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
So, who are they gonna hire to ruin their last great franchise? High Voltage Software would be my bet.

UrbanRats

If they keep the MGSV gameplay, but have a less shitty story, it could turn out good, you never know.

They'll probably milk it dry cutting every last corner and trying to nickel and dime to the very last bit though, so yeah it'll probably be utter shit.

MegaMelon

The point being, they could potentially do that again and make a story that fits within the grand scheme of the main Metal Gear timeline, if not create a new story (whether it be set in the current universe or an entirely new one)!

I'd be interested in seeing a MGS game that branches off of the main series and changes events completely. Imagine what could be done. Lets say it branches after V, they could have a completely different experience whilst having familiar characters.

Haha no thanks. I'll spend my money and time on something else.

There's only one reason I want this game to come to fruition:

When it's done, and ready, I want Kojima to do a live Let's Play of it on Twitch, commenting on and reacting to all the undoubtedly awful aspects of it.

I'd be interested in seeing a MGS game that branches off of the main series and changes events completely. Imagine what could be done. Lets say it branches after V, they could have a completely different experience whilst having familiar characters.

Yeah, for sure. The directions they could go in are limitless. (Though to be fair, I said the same thing about V and it was a self-contained story about voice bugs.) But yeah, like, they could make a game about The Boss, a game about Raiden's journey from MGS2 to MGS4, post-MGS4, or a completely different universe; anything really! I think the most likely thing is that they make the new series about Snake's various adventures rather than one ongoing storyline, but that's still way up in the air at this point, but yeah I'd love to see which route they decide to take!

You're likely speaking of two different sets of people. I've always been open to a new entry without Kojima.

Not in my case - that poster is describing people like me, honestly, and he/she isn't wrong. But yeah, I was just so disappointed in V and it really opened my eyes to not having to be so adamant about non-Kojima MGS or whatever. It's just MGSV really made me think about what I think a Metal Gear game is and I didn't find that TPP met my personal criteria, if that makes any sense.

Canucked

Kojima still works for Konami. This is all a publicity stunt. Soon they will show a game that is pretending to be something it's not and then BAM Kojimas metal gear 6.

And then he will say, like always, it's his last metal gear game. Also he's gonna quit his job.

Starring Norman Reedus as Ocelots Left Foot.

Kindekuma

Banned
If there is going to be another MGS it should take place after MGS2 and before MGS4 with Raiden going to save Sunny. Or a pre-MGS3 title where you play as The Boss.

Simmins

Thanks but no thanks Konami, I had to live through the agony of what you let happen to Silent Hill. I am not going to stick around to see how you will fuck up MGS.

brau

Thanks but no thanks Konami, I had to live through the agony of what you let happen to Silent Hill. I am not going to stick around to see how you will fuck up MGS.

Are you trying to say that Tom Hulett didn't do justice to the Silent HIll franchise?

tommykonami.jpg

Soodanim

Kojima still works for Konami. This is all a publicity stunt. Soon they will show a game that is pretending to be something it's not and then BAM Kojimas metal gear 6.

And then he will say, like always, it's his last metal gear game. Also he's gonna quit his job.

Maybe Kojima was unhappy that the Phantom Pain and Joakim Mogren stuff was figured out so quickly so he's stepped his game up to mess with everyone.

As for MGS, I think I'd be very interested by anything that used the Fox Engine, because it's so damn good. If they did a more traditional MGS with bigger, better environments and bases to sneak into I'd probably feel compelled to get it.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
New Metal Gear pachislot with a mobile app to play. You have to pay to play, and then you have a cooldown timer before you can pay to play again, but you can pay to skip the cooldown timer so you can get right back to paying to play to watch some really nice CG clips.

Now available in China.

Ridley327

Are you trying to say that Tom Hulett didn't do justice to the Silent HIll franchise?

tommykonami.jpg

I honestly feel like Hulett had the misfortune of being a producer for Silent Hill in a time where Konami really didn't seem like spending that much on it. Outside of Homecoming, I really don't think that many of the mainline games had issues that couldn't have been solved by just having bigger budgets, while their most inexcusable error (Silent Hill 2 &3 HD being straight dogshit) was also a budgetary problem at its core.

Arttemis

From "It will suck without Kojima" a few weeks ago to "I'll buy it if it is better than TPP".

I think that's a testament to just how incredibly the gameplay handles in TPP. I'd be fine with annual spin-offs in different locations so long as that level of gameplay is brought into new scenarios and settings -- regardless of who's behind the wheel. Kojima was done with this franchise forever ago, so I'm fine if someone else takes the wheel... as long as I can get that gameplay, holy shit.

KyleCross

I'll look forward to it and play it. I'm sorry, but Kojima has frankly made a mess with the series to this point I don't see the big deal in him no longer being involved. This is a guy who half-assed an installment (MGS4) because he was pissed he had to make it, and then decided he wanted to keep making them afterall because his pride couldn't handle that his own son wanted to play Monster Hunter instead of MGS.

The dude for the better part of 15 years has talked about how he no longer wanted to make Metal Gear games and wanted other people to make them. Well, he got his wish. I am frankly surprised so many of you are so loyal to him and not wanting to support MGS without him.

I'm genuinely looking forward to a MGS without Kojima. Hoping it's not ridden with micro-transactions at least./QUOTE]
Lol now that people can't blame Kojima for 'bleeding money' or whatever nonsense they have now resorted to blaming the microtransactions on him. Hahahah why am I not surprised. Can't wait to see what he can do not working for these assholes. They've trashed every other good franchise they have yet people think metal gear will actually better without Kojima? That's funny.

Could not care less. MGS 1,2 , and 3 are incredible games I love dearly. Everything else was pretty good to okay. Haven't played V yet and probably won't for a while. MGS felt like it had been going on longer than it needed too anyway.

The dude for the better part of 15 years has talked about how he no longer wanted to make Metal Gear games and wanted other people to make them. Well, he got his wish. I am frankly surprised so many of you are so loyal to him and not wanting to support MGS without him.
Supporting post Kojima MGS means supporting the Konami that mistreated it's IPs and employees subjecting them to horrible work environments.
Don't see why one would want to support that.

mcz117chief

Yeah, definitely digging this idea. Portable Ops fits into the mainline well enough. Kojima constantly denies its canon status, but despite that people still debate as to whether or not its canon. The point being, they could potentially do that again and make a story that fits within the grand scheme of the main Metal Gear timeline, if not create a new story (whether it be set in the current universe or an entirely new one)!

Portable Ops is canon, even Kojima himself said it. What he said is if it doesn't clash with anything in the other Metal Gear games then it counts, so his stories have the upper hand, but since there is absolutely nothing in MGSV that would invalidate Portable Ops in any way we can safely say that the entire thing is canon. Which makes me a happy panda :)

They'd have to do a Metal Gear Solid 5 before they do a 6.

Jawmuncher

I honestly feel like Hulett had the misfortune of being a producer for Silent Hill in a time where Konami really didn't seem like spending that much on it. Outside of Homecoming, I really don't think that many of the mainline games had issues that couldn't have been solved by just having bigger budgets, while their most inexcusable error (Silent Hill 2 &3 HD being straight dogshit) was also a budgetary problem at its core.

This is something I agree with, while I can see the fault people have in the Silent Hill games after The Room. They really weren't all that bad, maybe not able to live up to the pedigree set by Team Silent. But they were better than nothing. As you said SH2&3 were easily the biggest problem during that time frame.

That's how I've always felt, until Rising came out. The gameplay in MGSV is amazing, though.

That's where I sit as well. Rising doesn't even change that, since it's sort of it's own thing still.

farisr

Remake of MG1&2
MGS1 remastered (a straight up graphical overhaul of the original game)
MGS4 Remastered
The complete MG saga for current gen systems

These are the things I'd get if Konami worked on em. Not interested in a brand new MGS without Kojima.

If it's a spin-off like Rising, then maybe.

Ridley327

This is something I agree with, while I can see the fault people have in the Silent Hill games after The Room. They really weren't all that bad, maybe not able to live up to the pedigree set by Team Silent. But they were better than nothing. As you said SH2&3 were easily the biggest problem during that time frame.

Hulett picked some really awful times to vent, but by and large, I put the blame largely on his bosses than him.

I know how cliche it sounds, but MGSV taught me that bigger isn't always better. It was "The Ultimate Scale," "The Ultimate Story," and "The Ultimate Metal Gear" yet Metal Gear never felt smaller to me. (And oddly enough, the time it felt biggest was in a PSP entry - the one originally slated to be "MGS5.") The game doesn't have to be "open world" like The Phantom Pain was to make the most of the Fox Engine. I think that the next Metal Gear could give us several, more spacious Camp Omega-like maps and it would be just fine, because quite frankly, that's what I wanted from TPP. I just think Ground Zeroes is the perfect template for the series going forward: bookend cutscenes to start and end an act, gameplay with story sequences sprinkled in, in-depth cassette tape-type Intel distribution.

Portable Ops is canon, even Kojima himself said it. What he said is if it doesn't clash with anything in the other Metal Gear games then it counts, so his stories have the upper hand, but since there is absolutely nothing in MGSV that would invalidate Portable Ops in any way we can safely say that the entire thing is canon. Which makes me a happy panda :)

Ah, yeah! He just danced around it so much that I decided to label it canon regardless of what he said. But yeah, Portable Ops had a pretty engaging story and I don't feel like it conflicted with the rest of the series at all. In this universe, it's entirely possible to have a game take place at any point of the timeline and still tell a worthwhile story, so I really hope Konami/whoever leads the charge can pull it off!

Top Bottom