• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - Microsoft Punishes Gears Leakers By Making Their Xbox Ones Unusable

Engadget just reported that their systems were NOT bricked, only banned from XBL.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/14/microsoft-ban-for-gears-of-wars-leakers-only-knocks-them-offli/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Engadget&%3Fncid=rss_full

"To be clear, if a console is suspended from Xbox Live for a violation of the Terms of Use, it can still be used offline. Microsoft enforcement action does not result in a console becoming unusable. Suspensions for both consoles and accounts are determined by looking at a number of factors. To avoid enforcement action including suspension from the service, users should follow the Xbox Live Terms of Use and Code of Conduct."

... So all this MS-hating was based on clickbait sensationalism?

Haven't read anywhere that these morons aren't getting sued/fined.

I'm the one that got that quote for GameSpot, and Microsoft didn't specifically address those testers. They only talked to me about their general policy regarding bans. This doesn't preclude the possibility that the NDA resulted in a more far-reaching ban, but if they're capable of doing that, they aren't saying.

Gattsu25

Banned
NDA or not, I don't like the concept of a console manufacturer being able to brick my console.

Microsoft's vision of an all digital future should terrify everyone.

Taker34

Banned
I like leaks when they simply affect the publisher/dev (if it's not extremely harmful) but whenever VMC is involved it's terrible for anyone involved. Just think about how easily they could lose clients and jobs because of some testers who don't take this seriously enough. Of course this ultimately means that we won't get to test anything and again, everyone is losing - plus another surprise for E3 was probably spoiled.

rjcc

This is what Microsoft told us (Engadget)

Microsoft enforcement action does not result in a console becoming unusable

Is there anyone out there claiming they've had a console disabled?

As a million people have already said, this is absolutely fair and possibly even too light a punishment.

I tested a game for Microsoft about 5 years ago and had to sign an NDA (It was Age of Empires Online, I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to say that now!). The NDA was incredibly detailed on what you couldn't do - I wasn't allowed to let other people access my computer or watch me play the game - even my housemates. You break those agreements, you deserve the punishment. It's a privilege, not a right.

NDA or not, I don't like the concept of a console manufacturer being able to brick my console.

No. Every manufacturer has this power, and as far as I'm aware they did so last gen as well. It's pretty simple.

Some of the posts here confuse me. Did I miss something? Why are people thinking they're just your gamers at home who got invited to download a beta? It's their jobs. It's not those beta invitations. How old are those people?

Getting your console banned is the least of your worries. You might as well kiss goodbye to your career. A console is chump change.

People saying this was too extreme. Holy crap are you guys serious? Yeah, too extremely LIGHT. I expected much worse than this. MS can do waaaaay worse and it wouldn't surprise me if they did so in the future.

I like you.you get it.

The testing company is about to get hell from Microsoft if they aren't a subsidiary. Even if they are, it's a separate entity and would be treated as such. The testing company should be flexing some muscle on these guys. A lot of people don't see that or think it's too harsh but view it from the companies side. These leaker are fucking with the money. And not just any money, Microsoft money.

MS blocking the consoles looks like a minimal form of control. A show of power. When they really could say "hey you guy....the one leaking our stuff, were blocking you from all MS related products and services because we don't trust you." Breaking an NDA is not a good way to get fired. So much for that job in the FBI.....

Imagine that one day you get arrest for being drunk while driving would you've be happy that the police confiscate your car (for undertermined time period) for a first offense?

I bet no.
I would hope they'd lock that person up and throw away the key.

Drink driving is completely inexcusable.

WHY WON'T IT READ!?

KeT1mI0.jpg

On point.

jadedm17

hy·per·bo·le
hīˈpərbəlē/Submit
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

What? These are free-thinking adults who signed a legal document.
If you sign a legal document that expresses the consequences of something you may choose to do you can't get mad when after they enforce it.
Read your Terms of Service and behave accordingly and there will be no problems.

I love how people are trying to connect the ability to brick consoles to the digital future microsoft wanted as if they've somehow been vindicated. They could brick consoles before this generation. In fact they could brick your console in a way that you couldn't even play physical games either.

DirtyLarry

Imagine that one day you get arrest for being drunk while driving would you've be happy that the police confiscate your car (for undertermined time period) for a first offense?

I bet no.
I have read my fair share of bad analogies trying to prove a point, but this takes the damn cake for being the worst one I have ever read.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I get that vilifying Microsoft and the XB1 is the cool thing to do these days, but the mental gymnastics people are doing in order to make Microsoft look like the bad guy is embarrassing. Using the murder of parents and drunk driving as analogies is pathetically stupid.

LMAO off at the ignoramuses who think these guys are victims, heroes, or martyrs because they broke NDA and tried to distribute a multi-million dollar investment they have no rights to.

HoodWinked

Gold Member

the consoles arent being bricked. the accounts are being banned. its if you did some shady stuff on your steam account or psn then couldnt access those accounts anymore. I feel like people have to make comparison to other platforms because for some reason people have become so irrational in their logic lately.

things like getting bricked already are in cellphones like an iphone if it gets stolen it can be remotely bricked also any phone get their imei and esn get blacklisted preventing the phone from getting cell service if you become delinquent on payments.

Kayant

Even though the article calls them testers, I believe these were crowdsourced users, who were invited to test on behalf of VMC. There's this line in the article, as well:

I very, very much doubt that VMC would allow its in-house testers to use non-test kit equipment.

There was also a thread last year about how VMC was trying out crowdsourcing for testing. If nothing else, everyone else in the industry is very likely keeping a very watchful eye on how this story develops, and I'm also quite confident that this incident leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouths regarding whether crowdsource is viable for testing.

What do you mean? The whole idea behind VMC testing is the fact anyone can get in as long as you have a console or PC. People use "non-test kit equipment" as in good old regular consoles/PC to test games. https://www.vmc.com/games/GBTN_Testers/

They are not crowd sourcing anything because the point of the program is to allow almost anyone to be able to test games from their homes. True they will be because this happened to Unity, WD, now Gears so far iirc although VMC/MS setting an example could help in lessen leaks maybe.

They potentially cost Microsoft millions in e3 advertising , promotions , exclusive deals e.t.c and people are upset they lost there console ?

Insane .

Also can't believe they do crowd source testing from people's homes. Way to easy for someone to show a friend who In turn leaks it out.

lol kotaku changed the story title

"Microsoft Punishes Gears Leakers By (Temporarily) Bricking Xbox Ones"
to:
"Microsoft Punishes Gears of War Leakers [UPDATE]"

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-punishes-gears-leakers-by-making-their-xbox-o-1704531500

VMC wanted to protect its reputation so they went to the press first. It looks like there was a miscommunication somewhere such that what MS's capabilities are and what MS will act on got mixed up.

The alternative is that one party is trying to leave the other party hanging.

Gattsu25

Banned
the consoles arent being bricked. the accounts are being banned. its if you did some shady stuff on your steam account or psn then couldnt access those accounts anymore. I feel like people have to make comparison to other platforms because for some reason people have become so irrational in their logic lately.

things like getting bricked already are in cellphones like an iphone if it gets stolen it can be remotely bricked also any phone get their imei and esn get blacklisted preventing the phone from getting cell service if you become delinquent on payments.

From the letter the company sent to their contractors:
This being said, as per that agreement with the testers in fault, Microsoft also permanently disabled their Xbox LIVE accounts (as well as other suspected accounts present on their Xbox One kits) and temporarily blocked all of their Xbox One privileges – meaning that for a period of time which Microsoft decides on depending on the severity of the offense, their Xbox One is entirely unusable.

MiguelItUp

E3 leaks left and right! I still receive VMC emails and figured the latest one I received was about the Gears footage that leaked. I guess this confirms it, well and it actually being a thing. It sucks that they're going to such extreme measures. But hey, if you're under NDA and you're posting stuff you should know you're being risky. I mean, I guess to a certain extent the Xbox One DVR stuff could be an accident, but taking Snapchats? Really?

rjcc

VMC wanted to protect its reputation so they went to the press first. It looks like there was a miscommunication somewhere such that what MS's capabilities are and what MS will act on got mixed up.

The alternative is that one party is trying to leave the other party hanging.

Who did VMC go to? They don't appear to have a PR department, at least that I've found so far.

Isurus

An NDA is an NDA. Frankly, I think MS is letting them off easy. I have NDA's I'm under now that would have much harsher ramifications than semi-bricking a $350 console.

I say good on MS; take the appropriate action on these people.

Dazza

There was a rumour they could remotely brick 360s aswell, not sure if it was ever proven though

What do you mean? The whole idea behind VMC testing is the fact anyone can get in as long as you have a console or PC. People use "non-test kit equipment" as in good old regular consoles/PC to test games. https://www.vmc.com/games/GBTN_Testers/

They are not crowd sourcing anything because the point of the program is to allow almost anyone to be able to test games from their homes. True they will be because this happened to Unity, WD, now Gears so far iirc although VMC/MS setting an example could help in lessen leaks maybe.
The program, yes, but VMC itself is a very large QA service vendor, with in-house staff. Using outside players as "testers" is--I think, though I don't know for sure--a new thing for them.

With the security issues it presents, though, I would imagine VMC's competitors would be pretty wary to try doing anything similar.

PtM

Banned
But Sony and Nintendo can do this as well..

No. Every manufacturer has this power, and as far as I'm aware they did so last gen as well. It's pretty simple.

I love how people are trying to connect the ability to brick consoles to the digital future microsoft wanted as if they've somehow been vindicated. They could brick consoles before this generation. In fact they could brick your console in a way that you couldn't even play physical games either.
I want to see the receipts.

Deception

This just sucks for us VMC testers. Now we won't be able to beta test these type of games and if things like this keep happening, VMC can be ruined as a company.

Dabanton

If they were testing games for VMC they've signed an NDA.

They've gotten off fairly lightly if this is all MS has done. I can only imagine things will be tightened up in light of this.

Hawk269

I get that vilifying Microsoft and the XB1 is the cool thing to do these days, but the mental gymnastics people are doing in order to make Microsoft look like the bad guy is embarrassing. Using the murder of parents and drunk driving as analogies is pathetically stupid.

Agree, just waiting for the "RAPE" comparison next. It is quite disgusting that some think that way and try to rationalize it as well.

Hip Hop

"To be clear, if a console is suspended from Xbox Live for a violation of the Terms of Use, it can still be used offline. Microsoft enforcement action does not result in a console becoming unusable. Suspensions for both consoles and accounts are determined by looking at a number of factors. To avoid enforcement action including suspension from the service, users should follow the Xbox Live Terms of Use and Code of Conduct."

Well, it's even lighter than it was before. Just like the 360 days, just lost accessed to Xbox Live.

I want to see the receipts.

From gamechanger87 a few pages back:

Unless otherwise required by law, SNEI is not responsible for monitoring or recording any activity on PSN, including communications, although SNEI reserves the right to do so and you hereby give SNEI your express consent to monitor and record your and your Sub Account's activities and communications. SNEI reserves the right to remove any content and communication from PSN First Party Services at SNEI's sole discretion without notice and to terminate any account through which violations of the Community Code of Conduct occur. SNEI may also take steps on behalf of its device platform partners to disable permanently or temporarily any device on which you receive PSN First Party Services and through use of which you violate the Community Code of Conduct. SNEI may use any data it collects, including the content of your communications, the time and location of your activities, your Online ID and IP address and any other collectable data, to enforce this Agreement or protect the interests of SNEI, its affiliates, PSN First Party Service users or SNEI's or its affiliates' licensors. Such information may be disclosed to appropriate authorities or agencies. Any other use is subject to the terms of SNEI's Privacy Policy. SNEI has no liability for any violation of this Agreement by you or by any other PSN First Party Service user

Hawk269

WHAT the hell is a NDA

N - Non
D - Disclosure
A - Agreement

Basically a contract that someone signs stating that they are not allowed to disclose anything about what they are doing with a said item/product etc. Usually there are legal actions that can be taken if someone violates the NDA agreement.

Kayant

The program, yes, but VMC itself is a very large QA service vendor, with in-house staff. Using outside players as "testers" is--I think, though I don't know for sure--a new thing for them.

With the security issues it presents, though, I would imagine VMC's competitors would be pretty wary to try doing anything similar.

Yh you're right if am not mistaken looking from Facebook I think they started this sometime last year?

JABEE

Microsoft shouldn't get to disable or destroy your property, because you violate an unrelated contract with them.

They should be able to ban an account, but bricking a console is complete shit. I hope this is just an Xbox Live thing.

Arrage

Banned
VMC (The Agency) is using Microsoft (The Client) to punish testers (Contract Workers).

Yeah, I don't like that. I think that VMC should punish people who broke NDA on their own. That just shows how powerless VMC is when it comes to protecting its clients.

VMC (The Agency) is using Microsoft (The Client) to punish testers (Contract Workers).

Yeah, I don't like that. I think that VMC should punish people who broke NDA on their own. That just shows how powerless VMC is when it comes to protecting its clients.

This is where lawsuits and punitive damages come into play.

sTiTcH AU

Microsoft shouldn't get to disable or destroy your property, because you violate an unrelated contract with them.

They should be able to ban an account, but bricking a console is complete shit. I hope this is just an Xbox Live thing.

Banning an account is WAY worse than bricking a console. At least you can replace a console. These guys had it coming, you can't honestly expect to think you can get away with shit like that.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

You cant expect VMC to be the one doing the banning...they cant even if they want.

Yh you're right if am not mistaken looking from Facebook I think they started this sometime last year?
Yeah. There was a thread on GAF last year.

To be fair, though, VMC isn't the first to use this kind of model. Companies like uTest and Combat Studios use home, crowdsourced testers I think exclusively, and I'm sure there are some less scrupulous ones that say they use in-house people but actually don't. It definitely keeps costs low, since you have almost no overhead and don't need to maintain equipment or facilities, and I'm sure it could be useful to drive your price point down to offshore levels, but, as we see now and saw in the past, you're running some major security (and quality of service, to be honest) risks using this model.

Top Bottom