• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - Microsoft Punishes Gears Leakers By Making Their Xbox Ones Unusable

Gatzor

Banned
I actually feel like Microsoft is being nice here.

As for people who care about the whole microsoft being able to remotely brick consoles....like I honestly can't for the life of me see why it matters -_-

don't be stupid and you won't get bricked

charsace

lol at people being worried about MS making the console unusable. Every piece of electronics can be shut down remotely now. This includes things like cars.

Enforcement going in hard. No surprise though, they take NDA's seriously, as do most companies. I had to sign a pretty lengthy one when I started working there, and I remember I even had to agree to another separate one when they demoed Halo 5 at the office last year.

A lot of people forget that in the tech industry, NDA's are so important. The competition is a lot stronger than most other industries, and due to all the people you could upset if things leaked such as Marketing team, PR team etc, you want to make sure things stay as close to your chest as possible. So I don't blame MSFT, and as many have said, they could have easily fined/sued the clowns.

Zok310

Banned
Thats a bit harsh. Kick them out of the beta and ban that console from ever getting another beta invite. Bricking something i paid $400+ for is over the top. They leaked a GOW remake lol, thats like Sony disabling your console for you leaking the God of War 3 remake.

MS again going above and beyond to punish people for doing simple everyday nonsense.

Gatzor

Banned
These are exactly the same arguments that people make for taking away privacy and civil freedoms

lol shout outs to false analogies. These guys signed an agreement that they broke and Microsoft has a system in place to punish that, no civil freedoms being given up here, put the tin foil hat away and relax

Microsoft could do much worse if they wanted to these guys I'm sure, and honestly they'd have the right to do so.

Mad1723

Honestly, NDAs are a big deal people. They can sue you to oblivion for leaking something like this. Millions of dollars are involved in a product like GoW, so the fact that they banned their console is the least of their worries right now.

If Microsoft decides to sue, you can be assured that a 400$ console is nothing compared to the punishment Microsoft will bring upon them.

outsidah

Thats a bit harsh. Kick them out of the beta and ban that console from ever getting another beta invite. Bricking something i paid $400+ for is over the top. They leaked a GOW remake lol, thats like Sony disabling your console for you leaking the God of War 3 remake.

MS again going above and beyond to punish people for doing simple everyday nonsense.

I guess you don't understand NDA's

I guess here's a question for VMC GAF: did you guys have to sign additional NDAs from VMC's clients? If not, I wonder if the breach of contract is actually VMC breaching MS's NDA, where MS could sue VMC (which could then in turn sue the leakers for breaching their NDA). I would imagine both NDAs would allow the Company to sue for an unlimited amount of money, due to irreparable damage caused by breaches, too.

Ozigizo

I've tested for Microsoft before. They make it known as soon as you sign the NDA that the least that will happen is account banning.

This doesn't surprise me at all.

Honestly, NDAs are a big deal people. They can sue you to oblivion for leaking something like this. Millions of dollars are involved in a product like GoW, so the fact that they banned their console is the least of their worries right now.

If Microsoft decides to sue, you can be assured that a 400$ console is nothing compared to the punishment Microsoft will bring upon them.

Exactly this.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Dear god Kotaku's comment section is awful. People are just blatantly bashing Microsoft and the Xbox One at any chance they get, no matter the context.

Anyway, it was utterly stupid for people to think they could leak content under NDA and not face consequences. That's the whole point of an NDA, no matter if you disagree with the concept of them they are there to protect your property from being showcased before its ready.

Demoskinos

Bricked console should be the least of their worries. They can be sued legally in a court of law. You don't want a giant corporations lawyers after you when they have proof that you broke a contract. These guys better pray they don't get taken to court or they are FUCKED.

USC-fan

Banned
LOL

Im sorry but this is on devs. Why would you give out a game to HOME testers before announcing it?

LOL come on. Too funny....

Talking about lawsuits.....lol

The PR disaster this would be would not even come close to what they could get in court from game "testers." These guys are judgment proof....

HowZatOZ

Banned
LOL

Im sorry but this is on devs. Why would you give out a game to HOME testers before announcing it?

What...VMC isn't some "home" testers setup. They deal with multiple publishers and developers when it comes to QA testing.

Orca

LOL

Home testers who signed up for a beta testing service, signed an NDA, and were paid for their work? If you don't know what you're talking about, look up VMC.

Bsigg12

LOL

What? They went through a company who hosts directed testing sessions to try and focus on certain things in the game with a bigger network scope. If you're testing for VMC, you sign an NDA. Breaking a contract that has clearly laid out legal ramifications for leaking something is beyond stupid and those people doing it deserve to be punished to the extent that was laid out.

ptuck874

I guess here's a question for VMC GAF: did you guys have to sign additional NDAs from VMC's clients? If not, I wonder if the breach of contract is actually VMC breaching MS's NDA, where MS could sue VMC (which could then in turn sue the leakers for breaching their NDA). I would imagine both NDAs would allow the Company to sue for an unlimited amount of money, due to irreparable damage caused by breaches, too.

no additional nda's but they do stress how important it is in every email they send out with double and triple reminders when it starts, when you get the download codes,etc. I don't think vmc will be sued or anything like that at all, they did all they can do to educate people....

Things I learnt today from this topic:

- People believe Microsoft is doing something Sony wouldn't do identically in the same situation

- Apparently allowing people to test games from home is stupid and if things get leaked that's the developer's fault

- Many of the people on Neogaf (which I generally consider to be the higher end for quality of discussion and knowledge in this industry) have no idea what an NDA is, how it works, or how it is enforced

- Many of those who do know what an NDA is apparently think it's unfair if said contract is enforced.

As I once saw a poster say, it would appear correctly, "there is a defence force for everything".

Also Microsoft is literally the devil.

charsace

lmao at that blanket statement.

My statement is the truth, not a blanket statement. The only thing that keeps a lot of us safe is that most people don't know enough to use the real knowledge that people actually post on the internet. I am more worried about someone piggybacking onto a car companies network and deciding to play bumper cars than I am a game console being bricked.

This would have bothered me years ago before I started working in the tech field and learned what really dangerous shit is possible.

USC-fan

Banned
What? They went through a company who hosts directed testing sessions to try and focus on certain things in the game with a bigger network scope. If you're testing for VMC, you sign an NDA. Breaking a contract that has clearly laid out legal ramifications for leaking something is beyond stupid and those people doing it deserve to be punished to the extent that was laid out.

What...VMC isn't some "home" testers setup. They deal with multiple publishers and developers when it comes to QA testing.

Want to Be an At-Home Game Tester for AAA Multiplayer Console and PC Titles?

At-home game testers don’t ordinarily get to test AAA titles before they’re released, but some games are going to be so big they need to be stress-tested by players all over the world. These aren’t MMOs—they’re AAA multiplayer console games everyone will be playing and talking about once they’re released.

VMC Games is giving qualified gamers the rare opportunity to play those games now. These paid game testing jobs run on a weekly basis across all continents, where testers are working from their own home throughout those sessions.

We're constantly growing with new opportunities! Look out for our testing sessions featuring multimedia streaming platforms, mobile applications, and more!

Oh no they SIGN A NDA!!! Are they sending in the ninja's?!?!?!?! lol

- People believe Microsoft is doing something Sony wouldn't do identically in the same situation

- Apparently allowing people to test games from home is stupid and if things get leaked that's the developer's fault

- Many of the people on Neogaf (which I generally consider to be the higher end for quality of discussion and knowledge in this industry) have no idea what an NDA is, how it works, or how it is enforced

- Many of those who do know what an NDA is apparently think it's unfair if said contract is enforced.

As I once saw a poster say, it would appear correctly, "there is a defence force for everything".

You forgot the biggest lesson of all. Dont send you game to home testers until you announce it....

This would have been almost a non-story if they had already announce the game.

Worse, they're sending the lawyers.

Thats it, throw gas on the fire.

Ill get the popcorn ready!!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I think, as a consumer, the fact that they can remotely brick your console is extremely scary. They had a legitimate reason in this case, but ultimately they have the power and they can decide to brick your console for whatever reason at any given time, a console that you paid for and is, for all intents and purposes, your property.

A lawsuit would actually be a more appropriate response to this IMO.

Bsigg12

I think, as a consumer, the fact that they can remotely brick your console is extremely scary. They had a legitimate reason in this case, but ultimately they have the power and they can decide to brick your console for whatever reason at any given time, a console that you paid for and is, for all intents and purposes, your property.

A lawsuit takes time, but from the email it seems like it is probably coming.

Engadget just reported that their systems were NOT bricked, only banned from XBL.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/14/microsoft-ban-for-gears-of-wars-leakers-only-knocks-them-offli/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Engadget&%3Fncid=rss_full

"To be clear, if a console is suspended from Xbox Live for a violation of the Terms of Use, it can still be used offline. Microsoft enforcement action does not result in a console becoming unusable. Suspensions for both consoles and accounts are determined by looking at a number of factors. To avoid enforcement action including suspension from the service, users should follow the Xbox Live Terms of Use and Code of Conduct."

... So all this MS-hating was based on clickbait sensationalism?

Haven't read anywhere that these morons aren't getting sued/fined.
now thats fair. and to think people in here were 100% ok with consoles getting bricked because of leaking fukin video game footage haha

Mad1723

Reread the Kotaku article, apparently the console is not bricked. So people can stop freaking out about this and should start educating themselves on the EULAs they signed and what NDAs are.

Scary how? Do you think gaming companies are going to start abusing this? Not even a chance of this happening. Thanks to social media if gamers get wind that companies are abusing this and bricking/banning consoles without valid reasons then they're going to face a pr nightmare.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Reread the Kotaku article, apparently the console is not bricked. So people can stop freaking out about this and should start educating themselves on the EULAs they signed and what NDAs are.

Yeah I just read it, I have no problem with this if their console is still playable offline.

edit:
Scary how? Do you think gaming companies are going to start abusing this? Not even a chance of this happening. Thanks to social media if gamers get wind that companies are abusing this and bricking/banning consoles without valid reasons then they're going to face a pr nightmare.

It is scary because the console manufacturer should not have the ability to make a console purposely unplayable.

Sony faced a PR nightmare for removing Other OS from the PS3, in the end they weathered the storm and now no one even remembers it.

You forgot the biggest lesson of all. Dont send you game to home testers until you announce it....

Mate, they're working for VMC. The reason why there's home testers is they probably want to test for network issues or bugs.

This happens more than you know, but most are smart enough to NOT break NDA because of the significant repercussions.

And you're damn right they are sending ninjas. Corporate suit wearing legal ninjas.

In my country though, they're called lawyers.

HowZatOZ

Banned

Please, please stop or you will hurt yourself. I have a feeling if you ever get into legal trouble you'll just laugh it off and claim ignorance.

USC-fan

Banned

All they did is banned them for XBL.

But its likely means any digital game wont work.

Stillmatic

Banned from Xbox Live is fine and justified (which seems like is what happened).

Bricking a console for breaking NDA is not. Really odd reading the first few pages.

HowZatOZ

Banned
now thats fair. and to think people in here were 100% ok with consoles getting bricked because of leaking fukin video game footage haha

I'm not sure you realise the seriousness in leaking NDA content, be it video games or something else. An NDA is there to protect the creators from the public seeing in-development work, and especially in the case of video games where people get so uptight about downgrades and such. Breaking a legal binding contract is some serious business.

Mad1723

In other news, Kotaku should be a banned site for spreading lies again.
The only thing they are guilty of is reporting what a spokesperson told them before the whole story was clarified. They posted the info they had at that point without double/triple checking and now they are fixing the original mistake through an update. They jumped the gun a bit.

KoopaTheCasual

Banned from Xbox Live is fine and justified (which seems like is what happened).

Bricking a console for breaking NDA is not. Really odd reading the first few pages.
I'd rather have a bricked console than a lawsuit (and yes, i understand that legal action might very well be on the way. My point being a bricked console is peanuts in the grand scheme)

Meneses

The remote bricking is a scary notion, i'm not too fond of that.

XBL banning is somewhat more "palatable" because you're punishing someone without making the equipment unusable, even though it could actually be worse in terms of actual value.

That being said, $400 seems like a pretty good deal for people who break NDAs, let's see if they're going to be further prosecuted or not.

I must say that I am a bit tired of this "hey, look at me, i'm leaking stuff that I shouldn't and I'll be famous for 15 minutes!" era we're leaving in.

There are almost no surprises left in this industry and that makes me kinda sad.

FordGTGuy

Banned
The only thing they are guilty of is reporting what a spokesperson told them before the whole story was clarified. They posted the info they had at that point without double/triple checking and now they are fixing the original mistake through an update. They jumped the gun a bit.

Kotaku jumps the gun way too much.

I think we all know why.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not sure you realise the seriousness in leaking NDA content, be it video games or something else. An NDA is there to protect the creators from the public seeing in-development work, and especially in the case of video games where people get so uptight about downgrades and such. Breaking a legal binding contract is some serious business.

if they were serious business ms would file a law suit, has there ever been a lawsuit brought against a leaker? its bloody video games

FordGTGuy

Banned
if they were serious business ms would file a law suit, has there ever been a lawsuit brought against a leaker? its bloody video games

You're honestly asking if someone who has broken an NDA ever faced legal action before?

NDAs are serious no matter what they are protecting, these games have millions of dollars invested into them.

Mad1723

You know that your bloody video game is costing more to develop than your favorite blockbuster movie. So if it leaks early, they have every right to be pissed about it. The NDAs that are signed are to avoid people giving away details that could change at any moment. For all we know, the project could have been cancelled at some point and people would have never seen it.

Things change in the industry when you develop a game, you don't want anything to be revealed that you didn't plan for, because the competition will tear you apart otherwise.

Top Bottom