• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku PC Guy Is At It Again.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
oneils said:
I feel like an apologist. I don't know Joel Johnson, and I've never read anything written by him before.

I'm sure PC Gaf will not agree with this article, but I do.

For many gamers the hardware is a means to an end. Not the end itself.
i've no doubt that your cryptic, laconic post is only so frugal with words as to not be responsible for simultaneously blowing our collective minds.

Dennis

Banned
I confess.

My tinkering, graphic whoreness and reluctance to accept standardization of the platform has ruined PC gaming.

I did. I killed it. I killed PC gaming dead.

I really don't understand how difficult it is to pick hardware at this point. If you're too lazy to look at benchmarks, you could easily just go to a site like Tomshardware, pick out their best component of the month articles and just pick your parts from there. They even break it down by budget range.

Marco1

All Razer has done is scare the shit out of somebody who thinks that a top of the line laptop costs that.
No wonder people look at the PC gamers as being the master race, I feel sorry for any first time PC gamer who splurges on that razer laptop thinking they are future proofed for years.
Razer should have brought out a mid-ranged, decent priced desktop or HTPC, maybe with 3D glasses and a 3D monitor and called it a day.

oneils said:
I didn't see that in the article mentioned in the OP.

It was in his previous article. TL,DR version of that was: "Razer trying to be Apple; kk, great thing for PC gaming; price kinda bad, great thing nevertheless"

demolitio

Gully State said:
I really don't understand how difficult it is to pick hardware at this point. If you're too lazy to look at benchmarks, you could easily just go to a site like Tomshardware, pick out their best component of the month articles and just pick your parts from there. They even break it down by budget range.
It's really not hard at all considering 99% of games are developed with the console in mind meaning cheaper parts on PC will do the trick in most games unless they're crappy, unoptimized ports which wouldn't matter then since it'd run shitty no matter what hardware you have.

That's why the BF3 thread is filled with spec talk because it's the one game that's a true PC game that will require some beefier hardware to max out so graphics whores are going nuts with speculating how it will run. In this generation of gaming, it's mostly been about easily running PC games since they're made with the consoles in mind making it easy to run as long as it's optimized.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Sethos said:
Now, please punch me here if I'm wrong but isn't that what's called DirectX?
It isn't. Because DirectX is still an abstraction build upon even more layers of abstraction.
There is a reason it exists but if we're talking speed in 2011, that is not it.

He is basically echoing what John Carmack said in his keynote a few week backs with that if a console choose the specs that a modern PC has right now and lock them, then get rid of all the all the abstractions, it would kick the PC's ass on a big scale.

Carmack isn't alone in saying that it would be cool to get more access directly to the hardware. It's a common request by developers.

So the sentiment expressed in the article is completely understandable. It's just presented in a way to insult the enthusiast hardware tinkerer. It's like opening an article about racial tension in the US with racial slurs.

inky

Then there are the gamers who like the PC because they mistake tinkering with hardware from a couple of dozen of vendors—all of whom get their silicon from three giant corporations—as some sort of engineering, despite that it's more or less electric LEGO for masochists. These tinkerers are holding back PC gaming hardware—and that includes the very benchmark by which they gauge themselves: graphics performance.

I'm sure an overpriced, underpowered laptop will do wonders towards solving this problem, right? Herp derp.

Actually, this idiot's opinion has some merit (although I'm sure he is not aware of it). I can agree that there needs to be some kind of "block" modular solution to building up a PC. I get this is prohibitive design-wise due to the need and dependance on fans and cables and shitloads of connectors, but it still surprises me that no one has successfully tackled the problem of just plugging in and out computer parts exactly like lego blocks.

I feel pretty comfortable doing basic computer building myself (swapping ram, connecting cards, adding HDDs, etc.) and I think it is simple enough most people can do it as well, but I know a lot of people that, while they can afford it (they already buy expensive computers) simply can't be bothered to do them themselves.

Wazzim

Banned
DennisK4 said:
I confess.

My tinkering, graphic whoreness and reluctance to accept standardization of the platform has ruined PC gaming.

I did. I killed it. I killed PC gaming dead.
DennisK4
Enemy of PC gaming
(Today, 11:43 PM)
Reply | Quote

dLMN8R

It's always hilarious when completely ignorant bloggers who ignore reality have the gall to call factual opposition to his opinions "trolls".

oneils

jim-jam bongs said:
The op-ed was about the reactions to his review of a $3000 PC, do try to pay attention old chap.

Right, but he agreed with the price. The 3000 dollar price point is what hurts it. It won't gain any traction. I think the price actually makes it a non-starter.

The point I agree with is that PC gaming hardware is approaching a dead end.

Durante

bandresen said:
It isn't. Because DirectX is still an abstraction build upon even more layers of abstraction.
An abstraction layer or two doesn't significantly inhibit the performance of a modern PC in any appreciable way.

Dennis

Banned
He has a good point though, about our gas guzzling uber-rigs looking no better than console games because we will not let Nvidia and Intel standardize the PC platform.

I mean, look at this shit. GTA IV on PC looks no better than the console version

GTAIV+2011-09-07+01-43-12-28.jpg

GTAIV+2011-09-07+01-46-47-68.jpg

GTAIV+2011-09-06+20-25-14-90.jpg

GTAIV+2011-09-06+20-25-52-05.jpg

Also the tinkerers out there such as myself are the ones pushing innovation in the industry by demanding more out of our pc's and games. If no one was forced to innovate the market would become stagnant and we would see call of duty 15 on the xbox360 (kidding). But if one side of an industry is innovating, it forces the other side to innovate as well in order to compete.

Emitan

If you want a pre-built gaming laptop it's going to cost an extreme amount of money. That is never going to change. The Razor Blade is a dead end.

oneils said:
Right, but he agreed with the price. The 3000 dollar price point is what hurts it. It won't gain any traction. I think the price actually makes it a non-starter.

A point which is in no way backed up by the article, so you'll have to do it yourself. Please explain in detail what you are arguing.

Billychu said:
But it is basically like Legos. I was surprised at how easy it was.

It is. My power unit died two months ago, first time in my life. Opened a case, looked at all the cables, bought new one, connected the new power unit the same way. Fucking rocket science for Kotaku!

Wallach

oneils said:

The price is the only point you can't really disagree on unless you're a vegetable. It's no surprise that it's the one thing he gets right.

The problem is that for three large you get a product that hurts the standardization of PC gaming hardware even more than your standard overpriced laptop. It literally does the exact opposite of what he claims it does.

PC gaming hardware is not approaching a dead end. It has been getting progressively better for more than a decade in terms of value proposition. It's products like this joke from Razer that deal any kind of damage to that progression.

Deadbeat

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
A point which is in no way backed up by the article, so you'll have to do it yourself. Please explain in detail what you are arguing.
Hes agreeing with fallacies created in another typical kotaku article to preach the death knell of PC gaming. For all the hate the platform gets its sure amazing it produces a huge chunk of revenue for publishers.

Sethos

Banned
bandresen said:

He is basically echoing what John Carmack said in his keynote a few week backs with that if a console choose the specs that a modern PC has right now and lock them, then get rid of all the all the abstractions, it would kick the PC's ass on a big scale.

Carmack isn't alone in saying that it would be cool to get more access directly to the hardware. It's a common request by developers.

So the sentiment expressed in the article is completely understandable. It's just presented in a way to insult the enthusiast hardware tinkerer. It's like opening an article about racial tension in the US with racial slurs.

But what you're saying is developers want more access, that isn't more standardization. DirectX is a common goal for both hardware developers and game developers alike to develop for and support. You don't even have OpenGL popping up in games these days anymore, so it's as standard as it gets. How effective DirectX is should be for a completely different topic.

There's a lot more choice when it comes to hardware yes but anything you buy will work with the games and other software you need. So it's not a bad type of choice.

Tain

I thought Carmack was hoping that video card manufacturers play along with each other a bit more so that developers could access all of the different kinds of video hardware at a lower level, not so developers would only games for one specific GPU.

or am i totally missing marks here

I don't get his point about standarization. Does he actually want to FORCE a config on PC gamers? Because that's the only way to do it. WTF, the nerve. That's exactly the reason people play on PC - they don't want 30FPS locked, 2xMSAA, pop-in textures, 30 seconds load times, etc. People are buying superior hardware for superior experience.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Gully State said:
it's not, we live in a fingerless mitten society and pc gaming is now something of a technology counter culture, a rebuttal to the endless mass market drive for reduced complexity at the expense of functionality. it's a hobbyist pursuit that through its idiosyncratic virtues, has not only sustained itself through the slings and arrows of multi generational console war, but began a spearheading resurgence right at the time that kotakus of this world wrote it off for dead. now it is again at the vanguard of the industry in every sense, while consoles are only becoming more conservative in their attempts to smear their singular branding across as many demographics as possible.

at a time when anyone with the slightest insight is aware of the gouging, sniping, depressing toilet bowl that the console market has become, people are seeking out pc gaming to rekindle their optimism and sense of adventure.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.130.0.html

This is what I used to help me buy a laptop last year.

There are hundreds of the fucking things, and the benchmarks aren't a straightfoward linear "goodness" rating. Then you have to do price comparisons, you have to look at impact on battery life, you have to weigh many of other factors. You might have to cross-check the info versus other sites. And this is just for a laptop that is non-modular.

I'm now in the process of designing a desktop PC for myself with a budget. Luckily, I'm just asking other more knowledgeable people to make decisions for me.

And I don't own a single console, I do all my gaming on PC or DS.

oneils

jim-jam bongs said:

Joel Johnson said:
So PC gamers got very upset upon my suggestion that, you know, maybe it'd be okay to let Intel and Nvidia (and perhaps AMD) standardize the PC platform a little bit so that programmers and operating system engineers could more readily access the kind of computational power that's inside our hot-rod PC hardware.

That is the real point he is trying to make. The razer blade tries to do this, but yes at 3K not a lot of people are going to bite. He is just pointing out that this is the future of pc gaming.

You may not agree, fine. However, from what I've seen some very heavy hitters in PC game development are asking/wishing for this. They just aren't using the same provocative language.

If the writer had cited Carmack he might have more credibility. The reality is that it reads like a pile of supposition by someone who doesn't follow the industry outside the press releases in his inbox every morning.

Painraze said:
Wow, people get paid to write that shit? lol
As long as that shit gets linked to here and everywhere else and people keep clicking the link then yes they will continue to get paid.

Can we just get it over with and add these yoyos to the banned site list instead of dignifying their existance over and over?

Emitan

oneils said:
That is the real point he is trying to make. The razer blade tries to do this, but yes at 3K not a lot of people are going to bite. He is just pointing out that this is the future of pc gaming.

You may not agree, fine. However, from what I've seen some very heavy hitters in PC game development are asking/wishing for this. They just aren't using the same provocative language.
No one is asking for that thing. No one.

Sethos

Banned
oneils said:

Please tell me, what does the Razer blade standardize? It's just another random ass laptop with a huge price-tag. So because Razer only releases a bunch of cheap flimsy plastic accessory and decide to make a laptop, because they only have one in their line-up, it's suddenly a standard? They just spat in the ocean and asked for people to get excited about it.

Wallach

oneils said:

The Razer Blade does not try to do this. That is the fucking point. It does not do that whatsoever because not only does not not afford one single developer any advantage that a standardized subset of hardware would because it still requires gaming software that is made for the entire PC gaming space, it actually adds a layer of segregation through the fucking keyboard that is unique to the damn thing.

benny_a

Durante said:
An abstraction layer or two doesn't significantly inhibit the performance of a modern PC in any appreciable way.
Would be great if it would only be one or two abstraction layers.

How do you explain that John Carmack said that this is a huge inhibition for him?
Why does RAGE look as god on consoles as on PC? He told of the benchmark that can be used to stress his engine and if you have to walk backwards into a city and then turn around very quickly and the PC being twice as fast as the console to load the textures.

If this twice as fast what you would expect if you looked at the raw specs?
The difference between RAGE and Hard Reset (PC only game) is not as visible as the difference between a PS2 and a PS3 game even though the hardware is equally outdated to each other as current consoles are to PC.

oneils said:

And again, that reads like fanciful supposition by someone who doesn't even know the current state of standardisation so why the fuck does he think he's qualified to talk about the future? Of course standardisation is the future because it started decades ago.

Wallach said:
The Razer Blade does not try to do this. That is the fucking point. It does not do that whatsoever because not only does not not afford one single developer any advantage that a standardized subset of hardware would because it still requires gaming software that is made for the entire PC gaming space, it actually adds a layer of segregation through the fucking keyboard that is unique to the damn thing.

My man

I don't think anyone is defending the Razor laptop. Rather I think people are trying to extract the modicum of sense from the man's post to have a larger discussion about standardization because everyone knows his gushing orgasms about the Razor laptop are utterly embarassing.

Chinner

Banned
ghst said:
it's not, we live in a fingerless mitten society and pc gaming is now something of a technology counter culture, a rebuttal to the endless mass market drive for reduced complexity at the expense of functionality. it's a hobbyist pursuit that through its idiosyncratic virtues, has not only sustained itself through the slings and arrows of multi generational console war, but began a spearheading resurgence right at the time that kotakus of this world wrote it off for dead. now it is again at the vanguard of the industry in every sense, while consoles are only becoming more conservative in their attempts to smear their singular branding across as many demographics as possible.

at a time when anyone with the slightest insight is aware of the gouging, sniping, depressing toilet bowl that the console market has become, people are seeking out pc gaming to rekindle their optimism and sense of adventure.
Seriously loving this post. Props and lets kiss.

oneils said:

No, it is not. It is the future of console gaming, and always was. He is butthurt that his console games look more and more like shit compared to games made for PC first. Thus, he wants to turn a PC into another console.

Emitan

The Razor thing standardizes PC gaming by existing! Obviously everyone will buy it and then games will only be made for it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It is absolutely asinine that our smoking-hot, electricity-slurping gaming towers and massive laptops aren't providing experiences so far beyond that available on consoles and mobile phones that even non-gamers could immediately see the difference.
This motherfucker doesn't even know what he's talking about if he is making this statement. What a hack "journalist". I vote to ban all gawker media on GAF as well.

Starfire

Yes, companies would surely have incentive to make better things in the absence of competition. Also, I think his second point about gaming expanding to audiences who would prefer more casual, low-tech fare accounts for the direction PC gaming is taking rather than the first.

Casual gamers prefer bite-sized content; software developers want to appeal to casual gamers and scaled down development costs are more palatable than $20m+ AAA titles in the current economy.

The most advanced hardware in the world will do nothing for cash-strapped developers if it doesn't turn a profit. Same reason the arcades went to console, the market changed, and developers responded.

benny_a

Sethos said:
But what you're saying is developers want more access, that isn't more standardization.
Joel Johnson said:
So PC gamers got very upset upon my suggestion that, you know, maybe it'd be okay to let Intel and Nvidia (and perhaps AMD) standardize the PC platform a little bit so that programmers and operating system engineers could more readily access the kind of computational power that's inside our hot-rod PC hardware.
DirectX is not the only way to standardize something. And DX is very deliberately removed from the hardware.
What is requested is a standard interface to the raw hardware itself.
You can call it access as well, that doesn't change his point. It would be purely a semantics argument.

Top Bottom