• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kotaku UK] Paypal Just Did a Mass Chargeback on PSN Transactions

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam partially suspend your account. They allow you to access previously purchased content but they prevent you from buying new content.

Temporarily, to clarify. Nine weeks (assuming the issue isn't resolved) is a fair amount of time, but it also means that you'll again be a paying customer, which, at the end of the day, is in Valve's interest.

Slythe

I know this was an accident, but it sheds light on their extremely bullshit policy of banning people for requesting refunds. A policy like that has no place in the 2017 games industry and more should be made of it in an effort to cause a change.

WaterAstro

'Steam does it too!'
'Microsoft does it too!'
'Amiga does it too!'

A bad practice doesn't suddenly become good or acceptable even if it was an industry standard.

Uuuuhhh everything in the universe does it.

You will get banned from any establishment if you owe debt that you haven't paid.

Taker34

Banned
I know this was an accident, but it sheds light on their extremely bullshit policy of banning people for requesting refunds. A policy like that has no place in the 2017 games industry and more should be made of it in an effort to cause a change.
Chargebacks aren't refunds and are not meant to be used as such. Any service will ban you permanently for doing it - Valve is an exception but they're ready to risk swallowing the risk of big resulting fees.

Yeah but they don't come round to your house and take back everything you previously bought from them.
I don't know where you live but in my country, if you don't pay back your debts, authorities will come to your house and take your stuff away until you paid them or send you to prison. Unless you live on Mars...

Gestault

Oh dayum. That's a hot mess. This sort of action, even in error, can have an effect on the credit rating of the companies involved, let alone the trickle-down to affected customers.

I know people talk about charge-backs somewhat casually, but it's the sort of action that's meant (from a consumer perspective) for situations where you don't intend to do business with a company moving forward, and those companies can report the action as a "bad faith" action as retort.

Mindlog

You will get banned from any establishment if you owe debt that you haven't paid.
Not more than a half half dozen posts above yours one of those original statements made in jest was proven false.

Some companies assume the customer has committed fraud and must prove their innocence.
Amazon understands a chargeback as part of the process and even informs sellers as such.

MUnited83

For you.
Steam partially suspend your account. They allow you to access previously purchased content but they prevent you from buying new content.
So? It's a 9 weeks restriction that gets automatically lifted, you keep your account and all your games.
Why the fuck are you comparing it with a system that literally auto bans you from the service and literally makes every purchase you ever made invalid?

Steam came from a alternate universe?

Temporarily, to clarify. Nine weeks (assuming the issue isn't resolved) is a fair amount of time, but it also means that you'll again be a paying customer, which, at the end of the day, is in Valve's interest.

I'll take that over being banned forever. Can't even imagine if I was to be banned from PSN.

Matt

A chargeback isn't a refund.

I just got an email about a charge back for £16.99 which I think was for Uncharted collection which I bought weeks ago. Initially, I was like wtf? Saw this thread, tried to log in and got the ban hammer.

Fuck.

Was looking forward to playing Crash tomorrow now I'll have to wait because I wanna make sure I get my trophies.

How is Sony when handling things like this? Since it's their fault I hope I'm not waiting weeks to get back online.

alexbull_uk

Do we know yet who is to blame here? I'm assuming this is a PayPal issue?

Chargeback != Refund

oti

Banned
I just got an email about a charge back for £16.99 which I think was for Uncharted collection which I bought weeks ago. Initially, I was like wtf? Saw this thread, tried to log in and got the ban hammer.

Fuck.

Was looking forward to playing Crash tomorrow now I'll have to wait because I wanna make sure I get my trophies.

How is Sony when handling things like this? Since it's their fault I hope I'm not waiting weeks to get back online.

what on earth is your avatar

Lothars

If you are using chargebacks as a refund than you deserve to be banned. Chargebacks are not a refund and shouldn't be used for such.

Fuck.

It's paypal's fault but someone else posted that Sony and paypal are working together to get this resolved.

So hopefully your account will be fixed soon.

Glix

Chargebacks aren't refunds and are not meant to be used as such. Any service will ban you permanently for doing it - Valve is an exception but they're ready to risk swallowing the risk of big resulting fees.

I don't know where you live but in my country, if you don't pay back your debts, authorities will come to your house and take your stuff away until you paid them or send you to prison. Unless you live on Mars...

I don't know where you live but in every country in the world

If you owe $50, they DO NOT come and take $2000 worth of stuff. Additionally, you don't OWE them anything, you lose access to whatever you bought when you do the chargeback.

Your analogy is both slanted and poor.

Fuck.

Just stay offline, you'll be able to get and sync your trophies after the ban is removed.

zMiiChy-

Banned
Sony needs to compensate the users affected.
Mistakes happen, but not even trying to make up for them is terrible service to your customers.

Also, a fucking refund policy would be nice.
We can't even cancel digital preorders.

TriGen

Yeah, I'm inclined to think there was some sort of error at PayPal's end given the chargebacks are isolated to purchases made via PayPal UK.

Do we know that it's only people from the UK affected? I know Kotaku's UK branch is reporting but I don't know that equals just UK Paypal users.

Did anyone in this thread not from the UK get a charge back?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think you lose access to your bought games if you get ban, do you?

Companies really need to take another look at these bloody automated systems. Just this weekend we had Rockstars automated banning service ban hundreds of online accounts by mistake. Now this fuck up between Paypal and Sony things need to change.

Now I am not saying that companies shouldn't use automation for this but clearly there are not enough safe guards or enough humanoversight in the system and it is beyond idiocy to allow an automated system to wholesale ban hundreds of accounts.

Syriel

Chargebacks are not "refunds" in the sense of "I don't like this thing and I want to return it" but chargebacks are also not debt.

A chargeback happens when the company you have purchased from doesn't uphold its part of the sales contract. CC companies don't just automatically find in favor of the consumer. Bad faith chargebacks will get you in trouble with your CC company.

Not more than a half half dozen posts above yours one of those original statements made in jest was proven false.

Some companies assume the customer has committed fraud and must prove their innocence.
Amazon understands a chargeback as part of the process and even informs sellers as such.

Any company doing so is in violation of the merchant agreement it signed when it decided to accept credit cards.

Chargebacks are not fraud. It is a perfectly legitimate dispute resolution mechanism that anyone who accepts credit cards has agreed to use.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Companies really need to tak another look at this bloody automated systems. Just this weekend we had Rockstars automated banning service ban hundreds of online accounts by mistake. Now this fuck up between Paypal and Sony things need to change.

Now I am not saying that companies shouldn't use automation for this but clearly there are not enough safe guards or human verification in the system and it is beyond idiocy to allow an automated system to wholesale ban hundreds of accounts.

More realistically, if a system bans thousands of accounts at the same time, then a human should actually be forced to go in and see what happened.

i've never had a problem with my account using credit cards, but i was never able to get psn to recognize my paypal account, for whatever reason. now, i'm just as glad i never did :) ...

I don't think you lose access to your bought games if you get ban, do you?
Yes, you do. I find it pretty ridiculous that someone can have a decade worth of digital games rendered unplayable for one charge back. Potentially hundreds of games that were paid for all taken away.

Okada

Yes, you do. I find it pretty ridiculous that someone can have a decade worth of digital games rendered unplayable for one charge back. Potentially hundreds of games that were paid for all taken away.

I'm banned and am currently playing a game that I purchased with the PayPal money that got me banned.

Edit - You can't download games that aren't on the system though.

Lothars

Sony needs to compensate the users affected.
Mistakes happen, but not even trying to make up for them is terrible service to your customers.

Also, a fucking refund policy would be nice.
We can't even cancel digital preorders.
Yeah you can cancel digital preorders, you just have to call in. I agree that they need a refund policy.

More realistically, if a system bans thousands of accounts at the same time, then a human should actually be forced to go in and see what happened.
Yup that should be essential.

This is why I only pay with PSN cards. No PayPal or Credit cards.

Yep, I just keep it simple.

Hmm there was a promotion recently where Sony was going to email a £5 voucher if you linked your pp. I did that begrudgingly, luckily I didn't spend anything.

Not sony's fault.

This is why PR have to be careful with everything they do. People blame them just for standing.
Yes Sony's system autobans until the account balance becomes positive, but that's not absurd or non-standard.

This.

With PSN becoming more and more critical every year I do think it would help them to be proactive to implement some kind of auto-restriction system (maybe temporarily blocking future purchases, etc until resolved) rather than auto-ban system now that they're seeing a bigger incident like this that's neither Sony's nor their PSN members' fault. But like you said chargebacks are serious business so who knows.

Especially this. And preferably before the banning takes place. So if the system is about to ban thousands of accounts at once it really should put out an alert first to have someone go in and investigate.

pelican

I'd like to congratulate Sony for communicating with their customers. It is nice to be reassured that they are "on it".

/sarcasm

Banned
Waiting for Jim Ryan to comment.

"Our data shows people ask for PayPal but never use it. It's usually just psn credit or credit cards. People should make new accounts."

Banned
Most companies do this with any chargeback. Lmao. But of course the Sony bashing continues.
Got any proof of this? Accounts with licenses and purchases tied to it being banned because of charge back?

Or you just mad that people are bashing Sony?

Uhyve

I'd like to congratulate Sony for communicating with their customers. It is nice to be reassured that they are "on it".

/sarcasm
I don't know what you mean, Sony have been replying to inquiries every 30 seconds for the last few hours on their support twitter.

"Hi there! We can't discuss bans or suspensions on Twitter. Please contact our support team"

Super helpful.

Playstation UK is trash, always has been. Almost certain that it's their fault.

Top Bottom