• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kotaku UK] Paypal Just Did a Mass Chargeback on PSN Transactions

Got any proof of this? Accounts with licenses and purchases tied to it being banned because of charge back?

Or you just mad that people are bashing Sony?
Well for one, I've had this happen with me before on Xbox and Steam before.

So yeah, keep bashing Sony for no reason unless you're gonna bash every other company that does it. Lmao.

Other game companies do it also.

Especially this. And preferably before the banning takes place. So if the system is about to ban thousands of accounts at once it really should put out an alert first to have someone go in and investigate...

yep. it's both pathetic & disturbing that this kind of fail safe system, involving actual human interaction, isn't a universal...

Folks who are banned, when was your last transaction and your location?

Pretty sure I used PayPal about a week ago, but I've not seen anything to indicate something has happened to my account. In the US. Edit: Confirmed that mine is fine.

Head.spawn

I know this was an accident, but it sheds light on their extremely bullshit policy of banning people for requesting refunds. A policy like that has no place in the 2017 games industry and more should be made of it in an effort to cause a change.

I don't think you know what a chargeback is.

Steam and Xbox have refunds, you can request them. A chargeback is simply getting your money back while not giving the license back. It's essentially looks like stealing, fullstop, from the companies end.

If you want a refund, pick up a phone and call them.

TeeDoff

Neo Member
Fortunately it looks like my account is unaffected despite having used paypal on psn a week or two ago.

Check your PayPal account and see if your payment is still pending. I'm guessing there is a time limit before PayPal do the charge back - I have a pending payment from the 9th June and someone else mentioned the 8th.

So possibly we will get caught out in the coming days, unless PayPal and Sony sort it out first.

Banned

So yeah, keep bashing Sony for no reason unless you're gonna bash every other company that does it. Lmao.
There's a good reason. Sony's customer service is hot garbage. Steams and Microsoft's isn't. Even Nintendo is super helpful.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do we know that it's only people from the UK affected? I know Kotaku's UK branch is reporting but I don't know that equals just UK Paypal users.

Did anyone in this thread not from the UK get a charge back?

Well, all of those who have directed their comments to the US PlayStation account over the past few hours and have a proper location listed on their Twitter profile are UK users. That paints a clear picture, I'd say.

Got any proof of this? Accounts with licenses and purchases tied to it being banned because of charge back?

Huh? You're kidding right? Lots of companies put you on their shitlist for chargebacks. This is not anything like requesting a refund.

meirl

Banned

nah, Not happening on Xbox. for me at least. you might Not be able to buy stuff until you Play but they will never outright BAN you. no way

Uhyve

Pretty sure I used PayPal about a week ago, but I've not seen anything to indicate something has happened to my account. In the US.
My brother has two pending transactions. One from the 15th (Yearly PS Plus) and one from the 10th (N Sane Trilogy). Not banned yet, but assuming he will be if they don't sort this.

Bet Activision are pissed. Crash comes out in 4 hours.

Edit: Oh, UK btw.

There's a good reason. Sony's customer service is hot garbage. Steams and Microsoft's isn't. Even Nintendo is super helpful.
Steam = Good Service.... right...

Also with Microsoft I've had plenty of times where people didn't know what I was talking about on a certain subject and I would have to talk to multiple Customer Service people to get what I needed fix.

They're all shit.

Also, please explain to me why my old Steam Account is still banned from a chargeback that never was resolved because they won't help me at all.

nah, Not happening on Xbox. for me at least. you might Not be able to buy stuff until you Play but they will never outright BAN you. no way
Because they recently allowed people to refund purchases now by them selves.

RootCause

What a disaster. Hope Sony does the right thing. By the way, I'm guessing the people that use psn gift cards aren't affected.

PS UK CS here. We've no idea what caused it, anything else is speculation.

Hundreds of people in a queue on call, but amazingly, everyone is incredibly understanding. Not a single person going off their nut at us, at least not in my experience. Not even asking for compensation.

And to that one person saying that we don't refund digital pre-orders, you're dumb. Call up support. We do. You just need to not have accessed anything relating to it, such as a free pre-order theme or avatar. And its a card refund, not a wallet refund.

BAH GAWD people are so misinformed about how PS Support works.

My brother has two pending transactions. One from the 15th (Yearly PS Plus) and one from the 10th (N Sane Trilogy). Not banned yet, but assuming he will be if they don't sort this.

Bet Activision are pissed. Crash comes out in 4 hours.

Huh. Well, we'll see about mine I guess. Haven't received any notification as others indicated that money was return from PayPal, so for now, I'm thinking this might be regional.

As for Crash, I would be curious to know, but I kind of doubt PayPal is a leading form purchase on PSN. Could be totally wrong, but it would surprise me.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, this is fucked. Massive ban-wave with Sony's no mercy chargeback policy means that a lot of accounts will be banned through fuckery on Paypal's part.

Hopefully Sony looks into this and unbans those affected.

Dunkley

Also, please explain to me why my old Steam Account is still banned from a chargeback that never was resolved because they won't help me at all.

Idk what to tell you. These days when you chargeback on Steam you simply get this:

Nn1dD.png

JaseC

Because the ban happened before the restriction-based penalty system was implemented, which was early 2011 (I see your current account was made in August 2008). If you'd like to get it back, you could try requesting that the suspension be lifted but your account be placed in a restricted state for nine weeks and the payment method blacklisted as per the current policy.

Idk what to tell you. These days when you chargeback on Steam you simply get this:

Nn1dD.png

That image is out of date. The cooldown period was bumped up to nine weeks, you're also effectively VAC-banned during that time and the payment method used is now permanently blacklisted (which, in the case of PayPal, means no PayPal at all).

BibiMaghoo

Hundreds of people in a queue on call, but amazingly, everyone is incredibly understanding. Not a single person going off their nut at us, at least not in my experience. Not even asking for compensation.

And to that one person saying that we don't refund digital pre-orders, you're dumb. Call up support. We do. You just need to not have accessed anything relating to it, such as a free pre-order theme or avatar. And its a card refund, not a wallet refund.

To be fair my understanding is that UK and US support and policies are actually wildly different.

Dunkley

That image is a little out of date. The cooldown period was bumped up to nine weeks and you're also effectively VAC-banned during that time.

Ah, I apologize. I took it from one your older posts and didn't verify if things have changed since then.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Nothing untoward here but I have recent PayPal transactions on my PSN account so will be keeping an eye on things.

Hopefully people will be unbanned ASAP and and apologies issued.

Garibaldi

Pro tip for you: Don't go onto a public forum, declaring you represent a company and call a potential customer dumb. Or you won't be representing that company for long.

On topic: It seems (from my pov), it's purchases made exclusively in June. I've had two chargebacks, which are the only PayPal based purchases I've made to PSN this month. May seems fine.

just bought something on PSN from the mid years sale a few days ago with paypal and no charge back yet so hopefully I'm ok. Even if it's just temporary a ban would really suck

PaulLFC

Uh oh.

I literally just used PayPal today to buy Everybody's Tennis and pre-order the Crash N.Sane Trilogy.

Don't appear to have been banned yet*, although something weird was going on as Sony randomly decided that my linked and perfectly fine debit card information was "incorrect" which caused my bank to text me saying it had denied payment to Sony - which is why I added and used PayPal in the first place.

* At least I don't think so. If banned, can you just not connect to PSN at all? I can connect, download updates etc but haven't tried playing online today yet.

Gestault

Have I missed more info? I'm seeing a lot of people saying matter-of-factly that it's either Sony or PayPal's fault, specifically.

Pretty sure I used PayPal about a week ago, but I've not seen anything to indicate something has happened to my account. In the US. Edit: Confirmed that mine is fine.

Mine was maybe about 1-2 weeks ago. I bought Uncharted collection and it just got charged back.

Literally about 2 hours ago I bought more games on PSN using paypal and they went through fine. Still banned. Not sure how it works so maybe you were one of the lucky few.

Plum

Dumb because you're supposed to ring up to do something that should be sorted in a few clicks?

EDIT: Off topic so I won't go any further but, yeah, don't go calling people dumb because of a crappy system.

Uh oh.

* At least I don't think so. If banned, can you just not connect to PSN at all? I can connect, download updates etc but haven't tried playing online today yet.

If banned when you log in you'll get a notification asking you to log in. when you log in it will say youve been banned

JaseC

Ah, I apologize. I took it from one your older posts and didn't verify if things have changed since then.

No harm, no foul. I just figured I'd clarify things so there's no confusion. I myself forgot to mention the payment method blacklisting and had to ninja-edit it in, haha.

Dumb because you're supposed to ring up to do something that should be sorted in a few clicks?

No, its irritating that they jump to conclusions about something. Sure, there's no lickety-split online ability to do it, but the option is most certainly there.

And sure, US Support may be different, but I know for certain that digital pre-orders can get refunded, at least here on rainy facism island.

PSN policies are different for different regions.

autoduelist

I can confirm that working with PayPal can be very difficult as a large company. Leave pitchforks down til everything confirmed.

pelican

I don't have a specific issue with the staff manning the CS, but what I do have issue is the lack of responce/comment from Sony itself.

Some form of reassuring statement should be made.

If Kotaku hadn't reported this I would be none the wiser and sitting confused as to why my account has been banned.

Syriel

Different regions, different rules.

Sony US DOES NOT REFUND pre-orders.

And if you buy something that you already have via PS Plus, Sony US DOES NOT convert it to a full license. You basically waste your $$$.

Floody

What a cluster fuck. Hopefully Sony quickly reset everything to before and those affected get some free stuff due to getting their money back.

Zafir

Check your PayPal account and see if your payment is still pending. I'm guessing there is a time limit before PayPal do the charge back - I have a pending payment from the 9th June and someone else mentioned the 8th.

So possibly we will get caught out in the coming days, unless PayPal and Sony sort it out first.
I do still have a pending payment or at least I did last I checked.

I found it weird because I'd definitely been charged despite it being pending.

I hope it doesn't happen to me. I'm away from home for over a week so I can't really deal with it if something does happen.

Other game companies do it also.

Bro the megacorp doesn't need your attempt at deflection.

panda-zebra

Banned
This is really unfortunate for Sony after recently having that big push to get people to link their PayPal accounts to their PSN accounts for that free £5 credit. Anyone who got banned someone who linked up recently? I did, although have no intention whatsoever to use PayPal with PSN, I'll remove it as soon as the credit arrives and continue to use amazon-bought vouchers as I've done for years.

Different regions, different rules.

Sony US DOES NOT REFUND pre-orders.

And if you buy something that you already have via PS Plus, Sony US DOES NOT convert it to a full license. You basically waste your $$$.

Thought you can't buy games that you got via ps+ unless it lapses.

Top Bottom