• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kotaku UK] Paypal Just Did a Mass Chargeback on PSN Transactions

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
My heart skipped a beat, then realized I never paid with PayPal

Ordered that Sony PSN credit card, thats my go to!
Phew!

teiresias

Paypal:
no.jpg

I think this applies to Sony as well, auto-banning for chargebacks is anti-consumer and stupid and I can't believe they do that BS. If they had passable PSN customer service that would be one thing, but when chargebacks frequently become the consumer's only defense against fraud on the system since Sony refuses to improve their CS infrastructure, then screw it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Except that it does.

Just to reiterate:

Indeed. I suspect Valve still uses the term "suspended" as limited accounts have been a thing since at least late 2009 and there'd be the potential for confusion if "suspended" accounts were correctly referred to as restricted accounts. That or the page is just in sore need of an update, which is a distinct possibility.
#1 is wildly incorrect. If he's referring to chargebacks specifically, even that is off the mark as Valve stopped banning/disabling/suspending accounts all the way back in early 2011 in favour of implementing a restriction-based penalty system that just denies access to certain features and doesn't get in the way of library access at all. Additionally, in cases of a chargeback, full functionality is automatically restored after nine weeks (not my image):

vPP5BJg.png

Banned/suspended/disabled accounts stopped being a thing going forward the moment the system was introduced. The entire point of it is that people don't lose access to the content they purchased while their account was in good standing.

DR2K

Banned
Hmm there was a promotion recently where Sony was going to email a £5 voucher if you linked your pp. I did that begrudgingly, luckily I didn't spend anything.

Not sony's fault.

This is why PR have to be careful with everything they do. People blame them just for standing.
Yes Sony's system autobans until the account balance becomes positive, but that's not absurd or non-standard.

Yes it's Sonys draconian system at fault here.

TriGen

Welp, I bought Horizon on sale this month with Paypal but I don't have an email and just went on the store and it let me 'purchase" a PS+ free game so I guess I didn't get randomly refunded. I'm still nervous, though.

One thing to remember though is with this being a situation Sony is aware of I'm sure they'll unban people it just will be inconvenient for a few days.

shandy706

How is this Sony's fault at all? It looks like it's paypal that caused the issue or does that hurt the narrative your trying to start?

Sony banning you and removing all access from your games kind of is Sony's fault though...if there's a mass mistake.

PayPal needs to figure out what happened, and Sony needs to help out ALL OF THE PEOPLE that just got banned or are getting banned despite doing nothing to deserve it.

I'm banned :(

Just catching up on this. Just checked my account and I am banned. Does anybody know what to do?

My account is banned. Fuck Sony.

Get on the phone guys....just to try and accelerate things.

Yes it's Sonys draconian system at fault here.

Genuine question, but does Microsoft not just ban your account if you do a chargeback? I was pretty sure this was a universal policy across all the platform holders, since chargebacks are a big thing for them.

Shin

Banned
Sony banning you and removing all access from your games kind of is Sony's fault though...if there's a mass mistake.

PayPal needs to figure out what happened, and Sony needs to help out ALL OF THE PEOPLE that just got banned or are getting banned despite doing nothing to deserve it.

It's no different in MMO's really, for whatever reason a charge-back occurs they'll ban you.
People are so quick the jump to conclusions, the article isn't that long gents.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
How is this Sony's fault at all? It looks like it's paypal that caused the issue or does that hurt the narrative your trying to start?

The Paypal email states that Sony doesn't accept the payment, so maybe something on their end is wrong.

dracula_x

It seems only UK-based account affected.

I wonder what caused "mass chargeback". Plus, PSN is not a random service, so it's a very weird that PayPal didn't notice that issue earlier.

How is Sony's policy fair? I generally understand why they ban your account, but it seems a bit crazy since it's so prone to mistakes.

Top Bottom