• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: XB1 Slim 2016, More Powerful XB1 Scorpio/VR 2017, iterative boxes from now on

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think it's obvious that Sony's doing the iterative thing, but a lot more limited in scope.

What do you mean by limited?

They are using the same supplier for performance tech.

Do you mean all the other things? Sony is already there.

Streaming game service, check.

Playstation TV service, check.

Cross-buy/remote play, check.

Android TV, check.

Iterative consoles rumored with one ecosystem, check.

Only thing is the whole PC/Xbox, however that is tied to the Win10 Store, has been less than impressive, and Sony's current version is remote play on not only Android, but PC and MAC as well. They have no horse in an OS storefront race, but that is something they can explore. They already tested the waters with Helldivers.

Hahahahaha.

Doesn't work =/= has yet to happen.

Brilliant.

About time consoles got out of the stone age of tech, and caught up with the rest of the advancing world. ;)

Doesn't work, we already know how much consoles are to produce, you only need common sense to see releasing new hardware every couple of years is a bad strategy when software is really (with addons like PSN/loive etc. to a lesser extent) is the only way to make that money back.

It's easy to see how the average consumer would be confused.

It's also easy to see that retail shelf space would be an issue as well. Look athte PS4's and XBox Ones out there now imagine the same number of each on top of what we have now with a new console, and then again possibly with a 3rd iteration.

Console don't work that way. There's already issue before it even launches.

kiguel182

There's no point in having "generations" when the next console will have the same OS and same basic architecture .

Just make a new one every x years, keep games backwards and forward compatibles when you can (aka when they can still run on old consoles) and there you go.

In 2016 it makes no sense to make a new box with totally different OS and architecture. No sense at all.

This is really exciting news. As I said, Apple and Google manage this just fine, it's not like Microsoft and Sony are the first ones to try this.

Cimarron

LOLZ at all of you saying that there is no reason to buy a Xbone. For US maybe as the hardcore but how many households have a half way decent gaming PC? How many of those would want to invest the time and effort to get one?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You'd need it. A GPU in itself would not bring what is necessary to properly run VR. I don't think it's going to be some big improvement for games.

There's nothing to say that an OR supporting Xbox would need the same spec CPU as the regular PC min requirements - OR support doesn't necessarily mean transparent support for existing OR software. If they strike a deal, I'm pretty sure Oculus will happily support another Xbox specific runtime performance profile, at least for this revision, if its specs were materially short of the current PC reqs. Maybe in the future they'd unify them, but it's not strictly necessary for this kind of support to happen IMO.

I see conflicting posts in here. Is this supposed to be an upgraded Xbox One or a new generation entirely? If the latter, seems far too soon.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I look at iterative console generations as even less of a reason to "build a gaming rig" personally. Especially if it's beefy enough to run Occulus like a champ. Console gamers won't be as far behind the PC curve anymore as iterations will keep up properly. That comes with no driver issues, Xbox live, etc. My current non gaming PC runs Excel and browses the web just fine. Won't need to upgrade that until it dies.

same. I know plenty of people feel the opposite, but the way consoles get bogged down with games pushing more than they can cope with, and having to wait 6-7 years for a new one is what got me into PC gaming. But if they kept them updated more often (and costs were controlled), I'd consider a regularly updated PS/XB instead of 'shall I wait for pascal..oh no now wait for big pascal...or vega...or volta' which is a never ending cycle.

Stanng243

How is it... Not the same situation?

90% of PS4 and XBox One games are on PC, why would you buy an iterative console, when you can buy a PC or maybe even a Laptop at around the same price that will out power two iterations at minimum of a console?

Each iteration would have to sell a lot. People don't realize constnatly releasing hardware and going through the retailing and the building, and the factories, and the games, consoles and games are EXPENSIVE.

Imagine if Sony released the PS3, but then in 2008 released PS3 2 with a slightly better GPU? Thats would have killed them. This doesn't make sense as a business decision imo.

It's not the same because some PS4 games won't make it to PC. Supposedly every Xbox one game will. So if you want to play all the games, you need a PS4 + PC.

meanspartan

There's no point in having "generations" when the next console will have the same OS and same basic architecture .

Just make a new one every x years, keep games backwards and forward compatibles when you can (aka when they can still run on old consoles) and there you go.

In 2016 it makes no sense to make a new box with totally different OS and architecture. No sense at all.

This is really exciting news. As I said, Apple and Google manage this just fine, it's not like Microsoft and Sony are the first ones to try this.

That sounds exactly like PC. And if that's what consoles become, may as well go PC- at least there you get better sales and the RTS genre lol.

daveo42

Banned
I really think sony and ms need to announce these things and explain what they are and why they are needed in great detail.

Right now people are reading articles about new consoles and are drawing thier own conclusions and its making them hesitate to buy a new console.

They won't because doing so now would cannibalize current hardware sales. Actual coverage on these will happen as close to their launches as they can so normal people keep buying consoles currently at market.

dorikyasu

As a PS4 & 360 owner, the only thing I'm really interested in at this time is the slim Xbox One.
If they can bring out a compact & reasonably priced unit that allows you to play digital Xbox One + 360 BC games, that would be the machine I would go out and buy right away.
A steaming-only machine sounds ok, but if it cannot play Xbox One games on its own (as in it requires actual XBox One to stream from), that's not for me.

Usually the slim models replace the fat ones, which cease to be produced.

I think they will clear stock and slim will replace regular Xbox One. Hell, shelf space here in Germany is a joke compared to PS. No way retailers will be happy to stack up 4 models of Xbox HW over here.

I hope it means a price drop.

In Canada we aren't getting any discounts on the XB1. It's been at that $399 price forever and we never get any of those crazy Amazon deals at all. I've been wanting to jump in but simply can't afford a $450 (w/ taxes) console.

c0de

Devs everywhere are now weeping.

Remember how you only had to support and bug test for two platforms? Well, guess what? Now you have to support 7 different devices and your budget for your game is now unobtainable. Have fun!

When had devs to support only two platforms? These times are long gone and the engines are rewritten to adjust to new hardware.
You agree basically saying pc never gets games because of the variety of hardware.

Hahahahaha.

Doesn't work =/= has yet to happen.

Brilliant.

About time consoles got out of the stone age of tech, and caught up with the rest of the advancing world. ;)

Nobody has tried faster iterative consoles yet.
But someone it will fails, i think as long as Microsoft and Sony make it mandatory for
devs to support consoles SKU younger then 7 years i think most will be fine with it.

When had devs to support only two platforms? These times are long gone and the engines are rewritten to adjust to new hardware.
You agree basically saying pc never gets games because of the variety of hardware.

I guess given all the platform use x64 devs need to abstract away platform specific code, or license one of the big engines on the market.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Doesn't work, we already know how much consoles are to produce, you only need common sense to see releasing new hardware every couple of years is a bad strategy when software is really (with addons like PSN/loive etc. to a lesser extent) is the only way to make that money back.

It's easy to see how the average consumer would be confused.

It's also easy to see that retail shelf space would be an issue as well. Look athte PS4's and XBox Ones out there now imagine the same number of each on top of what we have now with a new console, and then again possibly with a 3rd iteration.

Console don't work that way. There's already issue before it even launches.

Oh man. Please just stop, stop while you are still behind.

Nobody has tried faster iterative consoles yet.
But someone it will fails, i think as long as Microsoft and Sony make it mandatory for
devs to support consoles SKU younger then 7 years i think most will be fine with it.

Precisely why you can't call it a 'failure', or 'it doesn't work' like it is a fact, it something we have not seen before.

Precisely why I put the =/= ;)

However, all other tech items in the world, do fly in the face of the doombringers in comparison.

EGM1966

90% of PS4 and XBox One games are on PC, why would you buy an iterative console, when you can buy a PC or maybe even a Laptop at around the same price that will out power two iterations at minimum of a console?

Each iteration would have to sell a lot. People don't realize constnatly releasing hardware and going through the retailing and the building, and the factories, and the games, consoles and games are EXPENSIVE.

Imagine if Sony released the PS3, but then in 2008 released PS3 2 with a slightly better GPU? That's would have killed them. This doesn't make sense as a business decision imo.

Depends on how current trends continue. Personally I think we're on a path that will see Xbox as a console have almost zero true exclusives whereas Sony will have a decent proportion (still a lot less than multi-platform though).

That said I can see more people choosing PC to get Xbox titles too vs figuring they'll get Sony titles.

I believe that MS are going to see Xbox as a living room device vs PC but are going to "give up" on the traditional console audience that wants exclusives: I suspect they're going to leave that demographic to Sony/Nintendo to fight over and look to have bigger overall price across a smaller console base but a much larger PC base.

I could be wrong but I'd be amazed if percentage wise XB1 and PS4 have same multi-platform/exclusive split. PS4 should for sure have more exclusives, particularly for bigger titles. Of late - QB being the most recent example - big XB1 exclusives are only console exclusive and on PC too.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I see conflicting posts in here. Is this supposed to be an upgraded Xbox One or a new generation entirely? If the latter, seems far too soon.
I think the 1.5 is a slim Xbox One with some extra non-gaming features like 4K video. Then they will start a new generation next year with Scorpio and new architecture devoid of ESRAM (akin to Xbox -> Xbox 360 4 year jump). Then when they have the new architecture they will switch to iterative cycle.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
LOLZ at all of you saying that there is no reason to buy a Xbone. For US maybe as the hardcore but how many households have a half way decent gaming PC? How many of those would want to invest the time and effort to get one?

Having the freedom to hop between all the PC storefronts, including Xbox, might make that hassle and cost worth it, vs buying a 'PC' locked to Xbox only.

But I agree, it would be nice if other PC options were as convenient to pick up on a whim as an Xbox is.

Genio88

What would be huuuuge is if Microsoft somehow managed bring all Xbox One games on Windows 10 Store too, if Xbox One third party games will be developed as UWP Apps then it might be possible, that would mean be able to play games which are console exclusives like Destiny or Final Fantasy XV on PC too through Windows 10 Store and Xbox App, also i'd rather play multiplatform games from there than Steam so that i could keep my Xbox achivements, friends etc...I guess that will just remain a dream of mine though

kiguel182

That sounds exactly like PC. And if that's what consoles become, may as well go PC- at least there you get better sales and the RTS genre lol.

Consoles are PCs. Except they are easier to setup and to maintain. They are simple.

But they are PCs and there's no reason for them not to be PCs.

It is when sales tank, and early adoption get's smaller and smaller for new console generations.

Hmmmm, not sure I get your point here.

They want more brunt force processing because their engine optimization sucks balls.

Is that the technical term for it?

If Rise of the tomb raider looks/plays amazing on PS4 it will show having a staggard release may be the way to go, and that this iterative none-sense is un-needed.

Of course it's not needed. It's being done to generate additional sales, because the core gaming consumer has proven that they'll continue to buy anything and everything that is thrown at them.

SOR5

Yes its all down to marketing, but theyve got to be clever with how they market the Xbox as a PC/Console platform and not just a console, whilst also pushing the scorpio to the masses, whilst also selling their games on PC

What would be huuuuge is if Microsoft somehow managed bring all Xbox One games on Windows 10 Store too, if Xbox One third party games will be developed as UWP Apps then it might be possible, that would mean be able to play games which are console exclusives like Destiny or Final Fantasy XV on PC too through Windows 10 Store and Xbox App, also i'd rather play multiplatform games from there than Steam so that i could keep my Xbox achivements, friends etc...I guess that will just remain a dream of mine though

Some fantastical part of my brain thinks this could be happening
Even when I know theres a billion reasons that move cant happen

amdb00mer

I'm all in for this since the games will be forwards (work on all future models) compatible and backwards (work on the current model) compatible. Adding Win10 support is just a bonus. I enjoy having the ability to play some of these games in 4K on my Win10 PC.

Bgamer90

Banned
I want to see Sony and Mincrosoft explaining why are they doing all this to the masses.

Shit's gonna be hilarious.

"We've seen the feedback from gamers for how long last gen lasted so we've decided to give consumers a choice for this current generation. Stay with what you have or upgrade."

Kurdel

Banned

It will play the same games, so it will be on the same "generation".

But as we go along and it becomes more like PC, we will shift from the "generation" paradigm to required specs like for PC games.

kiguel182

Imagine if Sony released the PS3, but then in 2008 released PS3 2 with a slightly better GPU? Thats would have killed them. This doesn't make sense as a business decision imo.

Because consoles are cheaper? And they can still last you 5 or 6 years since most games would be compatible between generations except they will perform and/or look better in the newer console.

It's not the same because some PS4 games won't make it to PC. Supposedly every Xbox one game will. So if you want to play all the games, you need a PS4 + PC.

This is assuming all TP on PS4 and XO will end up on PC< I think there were talking their OWN games when they said both.

Either way ti changes nothing because again msot PS4 games not exclusives, which don't move consoles, are also ON PC.

With iterative consoles you can buy a PC for $450 or so and have a laptop that can likely run games than two iterations of a console. maybe the 3rd might be a bit more powerful.

I say the latter because consoles are expesive to produce,, so I think the difference in iterative hardware will be marginal unless they go for loss leading, but then that's hard to recover from if you are fragmenting your software revenue which alon with some other add-ons is how you get your money back.

Precisely why you can't call it a 'failure', or 'it doesn't work' like it is a fact, it something we have not seen before.

However, all other tech items in the world, do fly in the face of the doombringers in comparison.

Kids pretty much grow up now expecting software to be forward and backward compatible ,thanks to mobiles.

"We've seen the feedback from gamers for how long last gen lasted so we've decided to give consumers a choice for this current generation. Stay with what you have or upgrade."

I would buy this, but then again i'm in a completely different stage of life right now then i was in the ps3 and 360 era.

SOR5

My guess is, It'll be an upgraded Xbone marketed as a new generation, but I do think there'll be factors that make that next-gen label worthy, it will also ditch the One name

Which will be more powerful? The Scorpio or the Neo?

If we knew, this thread would enter meltdown

Zukkoyaki

Consoles are PCs. Except they are easier to setup and to maintain. They are simple.

But they are PCs and there's no reason for them not to be PCs.
Yup

No matter how pointless they seem to the PC enthusiast crowd, plug and play boxes will never go away, at least not for a LONG time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Kids pretty much grow up now expecting software to be forward and backward compatible ,thanks to mobiles.

And this is what they (Sony/MSFT/Nintendo) are set out to do.

So those people who grow up with this, as you say, will not be confused, as Farley was trying to claim, lol.

Ryne

Going to love playing the few XB1 exclusives I want on my PC.

I don't mind iterative systems either, I'm basically doing that with my PC now. As long as games are backwards compatible and no gameplay things are locked out I'm fine with it. If I get a few graphical options turned down I'm fine with it. I can just replace it every 2-3 systems.

x-Lundz-x

I think the point to take away from this is we are getting away from "generations". We are going to start getting upgrades you can goose to purchase every few years with better hardware and these upgrades will all share the same library because they will be required to play on all hardware.

I really like where this is going to be honest.

Markoman

What are you trying to say? That iterative consoles will close the perfomance gap to PC gaming? If so, forget about it. Just go to the GTX1080 threads and see why you're wrong.
PC gaming is on the verge of 4K,60fps right now. By the time a true 4K console hits the stores, a standard medium-range PC GPU will cross the 10TF line. Let's not even start with CPUs...

The God

because you plug consoles into a wall!1!1!

Oh man. Please just stop, stop while you are still behind.

Sorry some of those things I quoted for facts, and it's a logical conclusion that were would be issues immediately with iterative consoles. Things like multiple consoles competing for shelfspace, how expensive consoles are to make, and the thing with devs getting new dev kits, and likely not many will be reaching in the hardware for good visuals on one version, are actual things to consider. because they will happen. The only thing we don't know is if this issues will have work around, or if the "iterative consoles" will be successful enough that this won't matter.

But just looking at iterative consoles and the current console set up on paper this looks like a bad idea. Could it work? Possibly, but it's unlikely so far imo.

EGM1966

Sadly I doubt they'll be as clear as that. You should ping this to their suggestion box!

pixelation

Well MS, here is your chance to win me back as using your console as my primary. I'll always have both consoles, but the one I buy most of my games on is the one with the best hardware. You better not fuck it up like you did with the XB1.

Can they really release more powerful HW than Sony w/o having the cost be higher than PS4K?, i mean... PS4 sells more than XBO and the XBO sells for less than the PS4 does. If the XBO2 releases at a higher cost than PS4K does they won't be making things any easier for them.

Genio88

Yes its all down to marketing, but theyve got to be clever with how they market the Xbox as a PC/Console platform and not just a console, whilst also pushing the scorpio to the masses, whilst also selling their games on PC

Some fantastical part of my brain thinks this could be happening
Even when I know theres a billion reasons that move cant happen

Well i said that just a dream of mine, it would mean no more reason to buy a console, unless you want to go cheap and have a "easier" plug and play device. I'd finally only use my gaming PC for everything

Ahasverus

Damn, who is the bussiness advisor on MS? because this is a disaster waiting to happen

- It dillutes the consumer base
- It adds MORE work to the development side
- It makes consoles more expensive
- It is really NOT comparable to an iPhone, where the upgrade is "forced" by brand attachment, social status and usefulness of the device itself.

Bye bye.

Top Bottom