• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: XB1 Slim 2016, More Powerful XB1 Scorpio/VR 2017, iterative boxes from now on

but if you have a PC that can drive an oculus rift, and MS releases all their games on PC, why would you want the xbox?

Convenience, but most importantly (for me at least) is not competing against players using a keyboard and mouse when you prefer to use a controller.

Vire

I don't really understand the point of it, if I wanted to do constant iterative upgrades, I'll just buy a PC where I can easily swap out a Graphics Card rather than an entire box.

icespide

Banned
Im not sure how I feel about yearly or almost yearly iterative consoles. Unlike goddamn iPhones there's no contract with Xbox that will let me upgrade my console with little to no extra payment needed. And I've been rocking my iPhone 5S no problem and before that one I had an iPhone 3GS. I'm not one that upgrades tech every time theres a new one. I fear this might fragment the audience.

then just continue to play whatever current console you have until you feel the need to upgrade. no reason to upgrade every year

Zaventem

Nintendo's handheld strategy has used revisions as luxury upgrades towards the end of a product's lifecycle to drive some sales.

End of the life cycle? bro we got N3DS in 3 years, that's the same time table as these mid gen upgrades.Not to mention 3DS XL came out barely a year after the OG 3DS.

c0de

I don't really understand the point of it, if I wanted to do constant iterative upgrades, I'll just buy a PC where I can easily swap out a Graphics Card rather than an entire box.

You don't have to buy ps4k or Xbox 2017.

mejin

Technically, I threw my PS4 threw inside a window to my friends son because I was like "here take it" and gave him all my games. I'll give the Xbox to someone else if they confirm it. Likely the same person, he has a brother.

I'll just go PC, collect, replay, and catch up on games I missed on by 14 other consoles. If they confirm it,

I have no interest in an anti-consumer strategy that also would fuck with devs getting shit out of the game console, while also expecting me to throw my money down a water fall, a strategy that also likely won't work.

It may be redundant to have PC and XBox for games, but I don't think Playstation is the same situation. Anyway, it's your choice, sure.

Papacheeks

Banned
I cannot stop laughing.

I get that it's funny. But he has a point. Look at Microsoft's backlash and how they changed and righted the ship.

To say if enough people give negative feedback and developers show they are not all too thrilled, then it could make Sony reconsider, No?

kiguel182

Apple has this model nailed to a T, copying that (with the necessary time adjustments) it's pretty great.

Just make sure you don't break games with every new OS version! But MS has a good track record with that on PC.

Your move Sony.

icespide

Banned
I get that it's funny. But he has a point. Look at Microsoft's backlash and how they changed and righted the ship.

To say if enough people give negative feedback and developers show they are not all too thrilled, then it could make Sony reconsider, No?
did they really right the ship tho?
While also not getting deep into the hardware to push anything out.

lol what does this even mean? coding to the metal?

gamz

Yep, technically it could really just be a spiced up Xbone, but a complete rebranding can make real results

This 2017 machine will (and I think should) be given a new name and a completely new visual image

But they aren't going to ditch the Xbox branding. It's still going to be called Xbox <something>.

The Lamp

So basically an enthusiast shouldn't buy an Xbox One until next year because the model this year will immediately be made obsolete?

SOR5

Why does the title say improved X1? It'll be a new machine with a new name.

Eh, it basically will just be a more powerful XB1 with a shiny coat of marketing magic

But they aren't going to ditch the Xbox branding. It's still going to be called Xbox <something>.

Oh yeah of course, but the "One" bit has gotta go
Unless they wanna dig up the MSX again?

What?

Clearly people DON'T care, considering the Ps4's sales. With graphics, we've hit diminishing returns. I'm glad PC exists to push the envelope, but PS4 is absolutely in "good enough" range for millions of people. Hell, more than good enough.

VR is indeed the only way this makes sense, I get why we need more power for that I suppose. It's also entirely unproven and maybe not worth risking the traditional console lifespan. I'd rather have them wait to see how it turns out on PC, then worry about VR for next gen consoles.

And gens don't have to be 6 or 7 years, I would love a return to a 5 year lifespan. That would mean next-gen is only 2.5 years away from now.

There will be no next gen. Everything will work on whatever they release from here on out. Next gen is dead. And people do care, just like they care about upgrading their phones. You dont need to, but most people will.

Every other piece of tech out there, flies in the face of this personal opinion. Hell, every consumer item out there in the past 100+ years.

He has been delivering the last week or so, lol.

That's a very poor excuse for a tech sector that doesn't work the same way outside handhelds.

Apple has this model nailed to a T, copying that (with the necessary time adjustments) it's pretty great.

Just make sure you don't break games with every new OS version! But MS has a good track record with that on PC.

Your move Sony.

Sony will make the move before MS and will continue to be the top brand in gaming hardware and exclusives.

So what move are you waiting for?

So can I ask a real dumb question?

What does this mean for the regular old Xbox One that's on shelves now? I mean in terms of pricing. If the mini-box is going for ~$100, and the slim/whatever launches between ~$175 ~ $200, where does MS put the original box? Do they drop the price or will that potentially cannibalize sales of the new units? Will they be discontinuing it?

I suppose e3 will make it clearer.

Microsoft are in a great position, if incremental consoles are a success then they can reap the rewards and if they're not, they can pick up the pieces in the PC market. In contrast, it's double or nothing for Sony if VR and PS4K underperform.

The God

You don't have to buy ps4k or Xbox 2017.

That doesn't really negate what he said though. It's a big change whether you're upgrading or not and if you're going to do it then you might as well do it on PC where you can benefit from it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's a very poor excuse for a tech sector that doesn't work the same way outside handhelds.

Hahahahaha.

Doesn't work =/= has yet to happen.

Brilliant.

About time consoles got out of the stone age of tech, and caught up with the rest of the advancing world. ;)

Many developers have said it's not a big deal. EA said it's not a big deal. The only way a reasonable person could call the response to the iterative console idea is "mixed".

The backlash from the original Xbox One announce that got the 180 done came from retail and publishers. I know it makes us all feel better to think that consumers taking to twitter got that change done, but it simply isn't what happened.

And there's no reason for retailers or pubs to push back on the iterative console idea. #followthemoney

Papacheeks

Banned
This move is them wanting to jump in on VR asap.

So do you think because obviously peroformance wise current PS4 has issues with VR they release this new upgraded model.

now my and everybody's question is, does it stop there, is it only a one time thing because VR caught them off guard in how much processing power is needed that PS4 can't do it?

Do they put out NEO just for this generation because of VR, and continue with regular 4-5 year cycle with big jumps in power/processing.

or is this the start of iterative consoles every 2-3 years?

If the Oculus thing is true, PSVR just got quite the slap in the face, since it makes much more sense to get a Rift, which works on PC and Xbox One instead of a VR device that only works on the PS4.

If you have a Rift, that means you have a PC powerful enough to run it. Why would you use it on an Xbox One? I could see maybe for exclusives, but then again Xbox exclusives are now going PC.

Figments

If the rumor pans out to its logical conclusion, every four years won't be constant.

LordOfChaos

My question would be, how many releases back will MS and Sony force devs to support? So XB1.5 and PS4.5 games will have to support XBO and PS4 presumably. Another gen down the line, would the n-2 console be supported? If the answer is yes, supporting six boxes for just Sony and Microsoft together sounds like a pain. Let alone if they'd still beother squeezing the oldest box for all it's worth technologicaly, like late gen 7th gen games.

If the answer is no, I guess, staying on either alternating track would still net you about 6 years of console life, or if you wanted to always be on the forefront half of that.

AmyS

I'm too excited about this.

Me too!

XzQ1eew.jpg

Alx

What does this mean for the regular old Xbox One that's on shelves now? I mean in terms of pricing. If the mini-box is going for ~$100, and the slim/whatever launches between ~$175 ~ $200, where does MS put the original box? Do they drop the price or will that potentially cannibalize sales of the new units? Will they be discontinuing it?

Usually the slim models replace the fat ones, which cease to be produced.

icespide

Banned
If you have a Rift, that means you have a PC powerful enough to run it. Why would you use it on an Xbox One? I could see maybe for exclusives, but then again Xbox exclusives are now going PC.

people that want to get a rift but not a PC could get this Xbox instead

KingBroly

Banned

Your move Sony.

I think it's obvious that Sony's doing the iterative thing, but a lot more limited in scope.

It may be redundant to have PC and XBox for games, but I don't think Playstation is the same situation. Anyway, it's your choice, sure.

How is it... Not the same situation?

90% of PS4 and XBox One games are on PC, why would you buy an iterative console, when you can buy a PC or maybe even a Laptop at around the same price that will out power two iterations at minimum of a console?

Each iteration would have to sell a lot. People don't realize constnatly releasing hardware and going through the retailing and the building, and the factories, and the games, consoles and games are EXPENSIVE.

Imagine if Sony released the PS3, but then in 2008 released PS3 2 with a slightly better GPU? Thats would have killed them. This doesn't make sense as a business decision imo.

x-Lundz-x

Well MS, here is your chance to win me back as using your console as my primary. I'll always have both consoles, but the one I buy most of my games on is the one with the best hardware. You better not fuck it up like you did with the XB1.

Markoman

I think they will clear stock and slim will replace regular Xbox One. Hell, shelf space here in Germany is a joke compared to PS. No way retailers will be happy to stack up 4 models of Xbox HW over here.

etrain911

They're gonna have to work really hard to sell people on getting an Xbox now if you can just get everything for it on the PC. There has to be some draw or exclusives.Why would I ever pay for Live with worse graphics than whatever card I could buy with that money?

c0de

That doesn't really negate what he said though. It's a big change whether you're upgrading or not and if you're going to do it then you might as well do it on PC where you can benefit from it.

If specs are the only reason to decide whether to go console or pc, sure.
I think that topic is worth a few threads on GAF but I think there are more differences between the two platforms than just specs.

Vire

My question would be, how many releases back will MS and Sony force devs to support? So XB1.5 and PS4.5 games will have to support XBO and PS4 presumably. Another gen down the line, would the n-2 console be supported? If the answer is yes, supporting six boxes for just Sony and Microsoft together sounds like a pain. Let alone if they'd still beother squeezing the oldest box for all it's worth technologicaly, like late gen 7th gen games.

If the answer is no, I guess, staying on either alternating track would still net you about 6 years of console life, or if you wanted to always be on the forefront half of that.

Devs everywhere are now weeping.

Remember how you only had to support and bug test for two platforms? Well, guess what? Now you have to support 7 different devices and your budget for your game is now unobtainable. Have fun!

daveo42

Banned
E3 and the rest of 2016 are gonna be real interesting with all this Xbox news. Wonder if Sony will walk back their leaked stance on parity between Neo and OG PS4.

I really think sony and ms need to announce these things and explain what they are and why they are needed in great detail.

Right now people are reading articles about new consoles and are drawing thier own conclusions and its making them hesitate to buy a new console.

gamerMan

Exactly, if consoles go iterative, I'm out. I'll just stick to PC as console exclusives on PS4 and Xbox just don't do it for me anymore. These machines are mostly multi platform machines.

Papacheeks

Banned
Many developers have said it's not a big deal. EA said it's not a big deal. The only way a reasonable person could call the response to the iterative console idea is "mixed".

The backlash from the original Xbox One announce that got the 180 done came from retail and publishers. I know it makes us all feel better to think that consumers taking to twitter got that change done, but it simply isn't what happened.

And there's no reason for retailers or pubs to push back on the iterative console idea. #followthemoney

It is when sales tank, and early adoption get's smaller and smaller for new console generations.

Of course EA would be ok they can't get games to run properly native 1080p. Same with activision, ubisoft.

They want more brunt force processing because their engine optimization sucks balls. Yet on exclusive games that take their time we get things like uncharted 4, QB, ratchet and clank, drive club.

Maybe if publishers gave more time, used smaller bloated teams, better more tested engines, and did tier releases for multiplatform we would see less 900p games, and giant post patches.

If Rise of the tomb raider looks/plays amazing on PS4 it will show having a staggard release may be the way to go, and that this iterative none-sense is un-needed.

icespide

Banned
I really think sony and ms need to announce these things and explain what they are and why they are needed in great detail.

Right now people are reading articles about new consoles and are drawing thier own conclusions and its making them hesitate to buy a new console.

eh it's mostly just people that read internet forums. your average Joe has no idea

Top Bottom