• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KPop-GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fafnir

I watched the unsubbed version of King of Idol. For a skinny chick Hara is quite a beast, I kind of felt sorry for her opponents in pool ssirieum lol

I think right after they finished taping that show the Kara drama began.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
lol I love how they play the celebratory love song when they accept the dude, but I can't remember if it's from GF/Gumiho or Secret Garden. Hara didn't do a very good job of hiding her excitement about Minho picking her. Maybe they have a special connection:

yb6re.jpg

ROFL Onew is such a baller.

Dice

Hara sure knows how to work it, although I've known this for a while. Sunhwa nearly just passed out watching this dude dance.

Ashhong

Dice said:
lol I love how they play the celebratory love song when they accept the dude, but I can't remember if it's from GF/Gumiho or Secret Garden. Hara didn't do a very good job of hiding her excitement about Minho picking her. Maybe they have a special connection:

http://i.imgur.com/yb6re.jpg[IMG]

ROFL Onew is such a baller.[/QUOTE]

It's from Secret Garden.

Hara and Hyomin high five-ing after (I forgot who) sat next to Hyomin cracked me up.

Forget Onew, Eunhyuk is the best. Now my favorite male idol, no homo.

Also, can someone make a gif of them making fun of Sunhwa's fresh trout dance :lol

Peru

Funny how Uee hardly participates in anything for a year+, not even her own group's activities, and still every guy picks her. She's got them in a lock.

Ashhong

Peru said:
Funny how Uee hardly participates in anything for a year+, not even her own group's activities, and still every guy picks her. She's got them in a lock.

I dont follow AS so I had never even heard of her. I felt sorry for her because I thought she wasn't going to get picked at all. I wonder if she actually liked the next guy that asked her more than the one sitting or if she was just being nice?

Peru

Yeah she hasn't really been visible for a while, but you don't need to feel sorry for her--- She's sort of After School's Yoona - can't sing that well but gets all the attention, CF deals, etc. Which I think is nice and healthy, because she's not paper thin and is famous for her thighs*. Also very hot. *0:51 into this performance of Love Love Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACktsxPftw8

Ashhong

Peru said:
Yeah she hasn't really been visible for a while, but you don't need to feel sorry for her--- She's sort of After School's Yoona - can't sing that well but gets all the attention, CF deals, etc. Which I think is nice and healthy, because she's not paper thin and is famous for her thighs*. Also very hot. *0:51 into this performance of Love Love Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACktsxPftw8

Wow shes pretty cute. She has a really clueless look on her face haha

Dice

Seungri is all swagger but when he loses or gets rejected he is so salty.

Ashhong

Watching the Idol King thing and already Hyomin has been cut at least twice. I didn't get to see her dance or do pool wrestling. Come on Hyomin! Do something entertaining dammit!

Dice said:

ROFL Onew is such a baller.

I actually literally just finished watching Gumiho. My shirt is still wet from my wife crying all over it.

Salazar

Been reading up on Mong's problems.

The Seoul Central District Court has just discovered that MC Mong left a question on internet portal site ‘Naver‘ about his military service, thereby showing intent to dodge his service.

On the 11th, The Seoul Central District Court stated, “The current situation has him very likely to be prosecuted for draft dodging.”

MC Mong’s internet post dated back to January 2, 2005 and was left under the ID “thugmong1″. He wrote,

“I checked the military laws and it says that I can receive an exemption, but what if I don’t? It’s a dental problem. I currently don’t have 8 molars. I have one false molar. With just this, I receive a predicted score of 51 on my health test. However, one of my canine teeth and four of my front teeth are dentures, bringing me down to about 47 or 49. I printed the information I found on this site and found that a score between 49 and 51 is the minimum needed to get a level 5 exemption. Are there any instances where they don’t give you a level 5 exemption if you get re-tested? Do they just strictly go by military laws? They only told me to check my physical ranking and I need a more detailed response. Have a lot of luck in the new year.”

I love the guy, but damn.

Ashhong said:
Suuuuuuuuuuuure ;)

This being the internet, I can't decide if you're saying I don't really have a wife, or that I was the one that was crying!

Anyway, the last episode of Gumiho was sad, but honestly, compared to the last series Lee Seung Gi was in, it was barely a tear jerker. Brilliant Legacy/Shining Inheritance was one of the most depressing things I've ever seen. It's like they said "Hmm, what can we possibly do to make this girls life living hell" and then they did it.

Sealda

Banned
I dont really think Sistar pulls off this outfit. (Leopard top and slim fake plastic leather tights a la T-ara.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCqNXjZRTdg

Also Sistar singing lee Sun Hee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV75uAaEk9c

Its hard to categorize Sistar. Sometimes they feel like the B-team. Sometimes they feel like a under-estimated and very nicely packaged group lead by the powerhouse Hyorin. One thing is clear, they are not making fans by showing skin, looking cute or having any specific personalities etc. They often gives a very modest impression. Like, if someone find you sitting and looking at Girls Generation music videos, it would be more awkward than if they found you sit and watch Sistar videos.

Some pics

this girl is cute
20101218129266922495551.jpg

Hyorin got so big mouth and often looks a bit alien with too much make up + bang:O

20101218129266975125874.jpg

You rarely saw the whole band showing their legs before.
sistar.jpg

Ashhong

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
This being the internet, I can't decide if you're saying I don't really have a wife, or that I was the one that was crying!

Anyway, the last episode of Gumiho was sad, but honestly, compared to the last series Lee Seung Gi was in, it was barely a tear jerker. Brilliant Legacy/Shining Inheritance was one of the most depressing things I've ever seen. It's like they said "Hmm, what can we possibly do to make this girls life living hell" and then they did it.

Oh, just that you were probably the one crying =P

So what drama do you recommend watching after Secret Garden? I'm watching Dream High but I'm all caught up and waiting every week now. How is Athena?

Dice

Yeah, their outfits for How Dare You have been really awkward looking. I hate Bora's new hair, too.

BTW Soyou was SUPER hot in the star dance battle special:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yZRTkY7O18

They are good singers but they need to show it off more, and Hyorin is good but the others are solid so there is no need to rely on her as much as they do. It is not without penalty, as the recent "healthiest idol" special showed that her vocal chords were very strained, although I think that is also from a couple bad technique habits on her part.

I understand what you mean about their inconsistent impression. When they bring their A-game it is extremely polished and super impressive, but they'll just as often bring their B-game and be passable. Meanwhile, Secret, another small-agency group, seems to always bring their A-game. I'd say it's not quite up to Sistar's top efforts, but Secret consistently brings their very best and thus consistently stand out from the crowd.

Peru

So what drama do you recommend watching after Secret Garden? I'm watching Dream High but I'm all caught up and waiting every week now. How is Athena?

I don't know how many times I have to recommend Jungle Fish 2 until someone here actually watches it.

panda21

Peru said:
I don't know how many times I have to recommend Jungle Fish 2 until someone here actually watches it.

I'm like this close to watching it, just have to finish secret garden first

Ashhong

Peru said:

I had that on my list, and then I forgot about it. I'll watch that now, just for you.

Dice

I'll only watch JF2 if there are softsubs for it somewhere.

Edit: I had been wondering about this. Seungri was crying at the end of King of Idols because everyone accepted him so well and acted close with him over the two days of filming, and he was worried that without Big Bang he wouldn't be well accepted. I guess he has some hidden insecurity issues. With this in mind, it's probably good he did his solo promotions before the Big Bang comeback. It's no good feeling like you're just coasting on the success of those around you.

Dice

Hardsubs are fine if they aren't in crappy streaming quality. Good luck finding them in xvid or better.

Dice

Diadem has really crappy quality. They are no HANrel or Baros.

somato

Ashhong said:

Athena is excellent, imo, but I loved IRIS and this more of the same. I didn't like the first few eps though, there are so many characters thrown at you at once it got somewhat confusing. After you get through those and begin to understand who's on what side, it gets much better.

If you haven't watched IRIS, I suggest watching that first. :)

Ashhong

Dice said:
Diadem has really crappy quality. They are no HANrel or Baros.

Did you see my edit? Darksmurf uses a program to translate from Chinese, and then the community edits them. I've been using them for Dream High and its great, and quick. Subs are for group release videos.

sirrian said:
Athena is excellent, imo, but I loved IRIS and this more of the same. I didn't like the first few eps though, there are so many characters thrown at you at once it got somewhat confusing. After you get through those and begin to understand who's on what side, it gets much better.

If you haven't watched IRIS, I suggest watching that first. :)

Ah I remember hearing about IRIS. I'll check that out, thanks

Ashhong said:
Oh, just that you were probably the one crying =P

Athena is a spinoff of Iris. I haven't watched either. If you're going to watch Athena it may be better to hit up Iris/Iris 2 first.

A lot of it also depends on your tastes. I typically like things with either action or comedy being a primary element, but my wife demands romance. If you want straight up action Iris/Athena is probably fine. I recently watched Call of the Country, which had a nice mix of action/comedy and romance.

My favorite drama series is still My Name is Kim Sam Soon. It's required reading as far as romantic comedy in k-drama goes. Plus Hyun Bin is in it, so if you liked him in Secret Garden there's that. Kim Sun-ah is fantastic, and her character in KSS is one of the most relatable/realistic in any drama I've seen. Hell, it's even on Drama Fever if you use that.

Edit: Also, I think Athena keeps getting delays in filming because of injuries to the cast. It may get annoying waiting for them to come out regularly.

As for Jungle Fish 2, despite the recommendations I cannot stand any filmed material that has anything to do with high school life whatsoever. The lives of teenagers are actually boring, uninsightful, and filled with triviality, to such an extent that any attempt to cast them in a serious light is completely laughable to me. Yes, this is a blanket statement, but I have never been able to shake it no matter how many critics have said positive things. A great example of this is the film "Brick". Despite how much people say it's good, the fact that it was framed with high schoolers made it terrible.

Sealda

Banned
Dice said:
I understand what you mean about their inconsistent impression. When they bring their A-game it is extremely polished and super impressive, but they'll just as often bring their B-game and be passable. Meanwhile, Secret, another small-agency group, seems to always bring their A-game. I'd say it's not quite up to Sistar's top efforts, but Secret consistently brings their very best and thus consistently stand out from the crowd.

Yes, many similarities between Secret and Sistar. I hope it will not end as it is now with Secret moving on to new dimensions while Sistar still waiting for a break-through. The final bump to get them into a better status could have been achieved with the comeback but instead we got "Im sorry sorry mister". The music-video however is better than the live show for that song. So the core concept seem to been more polished than the live product. Nevertheless, whats their theme really? Its just weird.

Like this part of their theme is okay
SISTAR_unleashes_How_Dare_You_MV_02122010084448.jpg

still its not outright guilty pleasure sexy like T-Ara doing the bunny theme for that award!

If only they kept to that style though. Instead they mix in ...more shit thats not even in the same category. I think these frames kinda sums up the problem well

KPOP7.com-MV-SISTAR-How-Dare-You-GomTV-Full-HD.avi_thumbs_2010.12.10_11.34.53.png

The second frame really looks promising!...

The thing is that Sistar never had a "specific/main theme". All bands seems to have this "main theme" that everybody in the end knows the band in. T-Ara can do weird native indian stuff because everybody already know T-ara and they pull off the indian thing well.

Sistar though, they are not established yet. They cannot switch styles all the time, especially not styles without any concept!

Secret really pulled this off well. Going with the 60s style. Everybody knows Secret now, they have gone with a clear, easy to get theme, got their breakthrough. Now they can return with some other new and awesome theme! It will work.

71e98be19061b2472126afc6b0d22384.jpeg

Meanwhile Sistar started out with a non-existing theme

Sistar.Push.Push.2010.07.04.Mnet_.M.Super_.Concert.jpg

vlcsnap-2010-06-21-00h04m11s138.png

Seriously whats their theme here? Whats their "thing". They completely lack personality and theme. They did however had an awesome song but that does not single-handedly establish your brand.

Their next launch with Shady Girl was better though
sistar_shady_girl.jpg

I can see a theme here, im not really sure what the theme is exactly but there is a theme here. Its the über fake blonde hair and the more straight lines in their dresses. In the Shady Girl video they were FAs in red uniform for instance! Better!

SISTAR_0.jpg

I think most people recognized Sistar for being either the non-style normal girls or the red sober retro full of red and white. The ultra fakeblonde hair even started to feel like a Sistar thing!

Then again, 50 % of the time they showed up in something random.
SISTAR-shady-girl-sistar-EC-94-A8-EC-8A-A4-ED-83-80-15076766-500-500.jpg

Like their theme before were strong colors but not like Rave rainbow-ish like 2NE1. Still it was modest and their Shady Girl theme was kinda close to Secrets successful theme formula. If they gone the whole way and continued. Keep wearing modest and worthy dresses. Instead...we got the "Im Sorry Sorry Mister, Sistar" thing...

Also i think the frames from the music video kinda shows sorta how that whole weird no style, "lets dress out!" rather than lets "dress up!" theme. It seems like girls getting a drawer full of cloths then they just put on whatever they find. Then they take one of those Curling Irons on some of the girls, then they try some cheap Platina blonde hair dye...

Actually i think i found how to apply Sistars new style. You first apply After School launch theme onto their upper body.
afterschool-new-school-girl.jpg

Then you apply on the lower part of their body the T-Ara music awards fake leather plastic pants
tara-bunny-tails.jpg
[/IMG]
and pull them up all the way, 70s- style.
Butterick_3381_70s.jpg

Oh well, they look good enuff here

SISTAR-How-Dare-You-promotions-sistar-EC-94-A8-EC-8A-A4-ED-83-80-17440329-465-563.jpg

btw, the single cover is also weird

2151.jpg
and whats up with those laces hanging off the way too high Dominatrix boots!!!:(

Peru

AbortedWalrusFetus, that's the most ridiculous opinion I've heard.

Re: Sistar. I oppose to the idea that all idol groups need distinct concepts for each song. Sistar have stuck with one producer and have found a very recognisable sound, and that's more important. They also won a K-Chart #1 with 'How Dare You', and the K-chart is the most prestigous of the TV awards, and a #1 on the digital singles chart.

Peru said:
AbortedWalrusFetus, that's the most ridiculous opinion I've heard.

You must still be a teenager, or in early college!

Seriously though, it's true in the general case. I'm not saying it NECESSARILY applies to this particular case, and if I ran out of other things I was more interested in watching I'd give Jungle Fish 2 a chance, but there's stuff out there I'd much rather watch with more mature themes.

Edit: I will say though that Jungle Fish 2 intrigues me far more than the typical teen-drama because it takes place in a foreign country, and it's far more interesting to see where the differences are when compared to western education.

Ashhong

Sealda, dont forget that Secret had a few songs before Sistar that I would put even below Sistars debut songs. Madonna and Magic are pretty bad in my book. Sistar is a rookie group from 2010 right? They got time still.

Peru

I'm not, it's not true in general, and there are plenty of masterpieces in film and literature dealing with the lives of teenagers. It's too ludicrous to even debate.

Dice

LOL @ the boots. When I first saw them, my impression was football boots with heels... Oh wait, that is still my impression of them.

Their early style seemed to be attempting urban style similar to f(x) except they had absolutely no idea how to do it. Shady Girl was fantastic on shows, but like you said, other places they would have the most random stuff. Now they are just awkward... so awkward.

I think you can have a split style, like Girl's Day did with Nothing Lasts Forever, but you can't push it much farther than that.

Peru said:
I'm not, it's not true in general, and there are plenty of masterpieces in film and literature dealing with the lives of teenagers. It's too ludicrous to even debate.

And I bet you'd hold up a book like Catcher in the Rye as an example. I would simply say that that is patently false. Teenage angst isn't interesting nor clever. The thing that was groundbreaking about Catcher in the Rye wasn't its actual plot or theme, it was the perspective from which it was written.

The "problems" that teenagers face in the developed world are for the most part so trivial that it's almost anger inducing that they even get attention. Sure, if you give me a plot like Lord of the Flies, or another instance of teens/children in extreme circumstances, you might have a point, but in those cases the "teens" almost always transcend their age in some way to the point where calling them children isn't even appropriate. And really, there's not a single example of a (fictional) story based around teens that wouldn't be more interesting if it was coupled by the real worries that surround independent adults.

Edit: I'd also use the word "teen" loosely. For example, someone who is 15 but acting with the full responsibility and capacity of an adult is a child thrown into adulthood far too early. That's an entirely different theme from the one I am talking about.

Ashhong

You guys lost me in your debate, but Dream High takes place in High School and its awesome. Maybe that doesn't count because its a performing arts school?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom