• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KPop-GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
God of Study takes place in highschool and it may be the best show I've ever seen.

Ashhong said:
You guys lost me in your debate, but Dream High takes place in High School and its awesome. Maybe that doesn't count because its a performing arts school?

I don't really know the plot of Dream High that well, but it honestly doesn't sound like something that would interest me whatsoever.

Ashhong

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I don't really know the plot of Dream High that well, but it honestly doesn't sound like something that would interest me whatsoever.

Its the story of 6 highschoolers at a prestigious performing arts school in Korea trying to do their best in order to get signed by a label and debut. It's pretty awesome.

Comedy, romance, music, all in one.

Peru

This is unbelievable. It's like saying 'only people with P.hD's make interesting characters in fiction, period'. As if lives can't be affecting no matter what stage they're in. If they're one hour old, ten months, fifteen years, 120 years, in a coma, on the moon, mute. There are absolutely no limits to what kinds of people can be interesting characters in a work of fiction. None. We're on different planes, in different universes. Anyway, this is straying far, far off-topic.

Sealda, i think you are really overemphasizing the importance of a group's clothing as a role in success. Secret pulled ahead because of the song Shy Boy is easily the catchiest song of the year so far.

As a whole Sistar are better singers and dancers than Secret but they need a great song to hit the A tier.

Ronok

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
You must still be a teenager, or in early college!

Seriously though, it's true in the general case. I'm not saying it NECESSARILY applies to this particular case, and if I ran out of other things I was more interested in watching I'd give Jungle Fish 2 a chance, but there's stuff out there I'd much rather watch with more mature themes.

Edit: I will say though that Jungle Fish 2 intrigues me far more than the typical teen-drama because it takes place in a foreign country, and it's far more interesting to see where the differences are when compared to western education.

Wait.... I'm a little confused. Have you never watched a korean/japanese teen-drama before?

Ronok said:
Wait.... I'm a little confused. Have you never watched a korean/japanese teen-drama before?

Teen-drama? Absolutely not. The youngest the characters I have ever seen in a drama have been is mid to late college aged. At least, the ones I've watched all the way through. They lose my interest immediately.

Peru, as far as I am concerned you have to have actually experienced something in life before you can actually tell me something that is somewhat insightful about life, unless that experience is extraordinary. Most "teen" dramas can't do that. I will say without a doubt that a teen comedy can be entertaining. But the idea of drama and "teen" when put together just... really bothers me. Now, I'm not even a huge fan of comedy unless it's paired with something else and used as relief, so that's something else to consider.

This is all opinion though. It's not something that you guys should get really upset or really focus on much at all. That's an aspect of kpop/drama gaf that I have admired for a while.

Fuuu.. i drank so much. If this doesn't make sense I'll fix it later.

Ashhong

Are you basing your opinion off of American teen dramas? Because I can understand that. American teen-dramas are 90% gag inducing. I would suggest that you give a Korean one a shot though, things are way different over there.

Peru

I wouldn't have used Salinger as a literary example, though, more like Dickens' Great Expectations or David Copperfield.

--
Yessss, third season of 2NE1 TV coming.

I've only just noticed that Secret's Shy Boy performances have a bit towards the end where they do any groups dances.

They did Lucifer last week and Supa Luv this week.

Boken

Banned
Recently discovered her but I absolutely adore IU :O shes so talented and cute and pretty to boot.

It's a shame that things need to be packaged into cute pop songs because you can tell from her covers that she's more talented than that and also that she prefers a more ballady style.

Ashhong

Boken said:
Recently discovered her but I absolutely adore IU :O shes so talented and cute/pretty to boot.

It's a shame that things need to be packaged into cute pop songs because you can tell from her covers that she's more talented than that and also that she prefers a more ballady style.

I beg to differ with IU, she doesn't have many cute pop songs at all. In fact I'm bored by her albums because they are too ballady, moreso "Real" than her first album.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They push the cute angle in her main promotions but her albums have decent variety.

Peru

Her best singles are her first (MIA) and last (Good Day). Inbetween they tried and failed experimenting with her image. Good Day isn't cutesy, it's traditional Abba school pop.

Boken

Banned
Wow you guys are fast!
I beg to differ that albums can be too ballady :p. I'll try to track down her albums or find the rest of the songs on youtube or... something.

Yeah, I really like the Good Day and Mia songs themselves. I was a bit shocked by Marshmellow though.

Ashhong

Peru said:
Her best singles are her first (MIA) and last (Good Day). Inbetween they tried and failed experimenting with her image. Good Day isn't cutesy, it's traditional Abba school pop.

Mia was her first single? Had no idea. How did she not get insanely popular after that? That song is fucking amazing.

I don't think an album can be too ballady if the songs are good. However I just don't like the ballad songs on Real, or her first album really.

Peru

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I thought this post on allkpop was pretty interesting...

Celebrities made less income than office workers in 2009

Man, people do NOT make much money in Korea. I make over three times that.

They're fairly high on the purchasing power rankings though. Prices are much cheaper.

Anyway that article was confusing and didn't tell us much. If by celebrities they mean actors and singers, do they count the indie bands playing for scraps down at the pub as well? And trainees? And everyone?

Ashhong

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I thought this post on allkpop was pretty interesting...

Celebrities made less income than office workers in 2009

Man, people do NOT make much money in Korea. I make over three times that.

Dont forget that they get their housing provided to them (even if it is a cramped apartment depending on the group).

Also, I wonder if the average is low because of the high amount of idol groups? The income has to be split so much that some of those members probably make very little.

Sealda

Banned
Really tight practice video. Seriously Sistar should show more legs. Also, when you dance in heels like that. I wonder if they have like special high heels shoes that are very rigid built to last during intense dancing. Probably has a rubber sole and better cushioning than the average high heel. Legs+shorts+white high heels looks amazing.
watch

Kinda interesting, someone isolated the microphones when they performed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j94-GZDIRo

Sealda

Banned
broadwayrock said:
Super Junior's Eunhyuk loves that part too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp7ViuVrQtw&t=11m56s

looool^^...

Anyone know what Wonder Girls is up to? I mean, they just seem to promote the same 3-year old songs in different countries and languages...Like, beside 2 Different tears it was 2.5 year since Nobody launched.

Also anyone else anticipating Brown Eyed Girls new album? Hoping there will be a new Abracadabra. Basically their whole musical popularity is based off on that song beside (How Come). Abracadabra really was a monster hit with like the most famous dance of 2009, really cool music video and theme. Since Gain and Narshas solo careers were both really fresh in terms of music and concept, i am hopeful that Brown Eyed Girls comeback in March will be that too!

EDIT: Just found this video. Kinda low-water mark. Miryo and some guy rapping/singing P-Diddys Ill Be Missing You.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQQKBYTiYNU

The Wonder girls have been in America recording their debut English album. Rodney Jerkins who co wrote Lady Gaga's 'Telephone' and Claude Kelly who co wrote Britney Spears' Circus are some of the people working on it.

Peru

Ashhong said:
Wow they sang pretty well. Usually when you listen to this kind of audio the singer sounds offkey. I remember a popular Beyonce video I think it was where she was just terrible.

It was fake. No one can deny her vocal skills -- besides she's sung acapella many times.

I have some issues with those MR videos they seem to do for all k-pop shows now. Obviously when you have backing tracks you'll lean on that if you're dancing as well. For example, Taeyang is a great singer, but sometimes his live dance routines are so hard he stops singing for several seconds at a time.

I prefer this kind of stuff, where the sound isn't distorted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qp3_xeKe14

Ashhong

Peru said:
It was fake. No one can deny her vocal skills -- besides she's sung acapella many times.

I have some issues with those MR videos they seem to do for all k-pop shows now. Obviously when you have backing tracks you'll lean on that if you're dancing as well. For example, Taeyang is a great singer, but sometimes his live dance routines are so hard he stops singing for several seconds at a time.

I prefer this kind of stuff, where the sound isn't distorted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qp3_xeKe14

It's not just Beyonce, I've heard multiple performances where they sound like that. It's not fake (at least not always), and it's not indicative of their talent. Just common for performers to sound off key because they cant really hear themselves sometimes.

JEKKI

does anyone know a good site for wallpapers and stuff??

particularly, KARA wallpapers??

I tried to use google, but I had a hard time...

I wanna make a custom art for my TE stick!!

thanks! ^_^b

Peru

It was a joke, sort of, but one that holds some truth. I know the shuffle wasn't invented by 2PM! but so far Will.I.Am has been inspired by everything else k-pop after he started working with 2NE1. Their Lego accessories, that absurd Korean Nicki Minaj video he did... so who knows, he might have gotten a bright idea while watching I'll Be Back on youtube.

Boken said:
Recently discovered her but I absolutely adore IU :O shes so talented and cute and pretty to boot.

She's basically the reason why I got back into K-Pop. I fell out of the scene since early 2000s. They went cutesy after her first single to fit her image better. I really think Mia is a better song than Marshmallow but her reasoning that it didn't do well is because it didn't fit her image.

Peru said:

I think they're still experimenting with her image. She has the cutesy look but has the voice to do mature songs. They hit it right with Good Day but I think they're still trying to refine her image.

Ashhong

Peru said:
It was a joke, sort of, but one that holds some truth. I know the shuffle wasn't invented by 2PM! but so far Will.I.Am has been inspired by everything else k-pop after he started working with 2NE1. Their Lego accessories, that absurd Korean Nicki Minaj video he did... so who knows, he might have gotten a bright idea while watching I'll Be Back on youtube.

Maybe....but he is pretty involved in the Electronica scene so I doubt it =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom