• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krispy Kreme is overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krispy Kreme was waaaay better when they were confined to the American South. When they expanded and went global they did something to their recipe or standards that made them nowhere near as good.

They also had zero real competition back then. Now there's other options in most cities for people that actually give a damn about the food they are making.

.GqueB.

Banned
1359052713Doughnut%20Plant%20New%20York.jpg

Doughnut Plant in NYC is the shit.

My man...

What's your fave.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I strongly disagree.

Provided you are including fresh, regular glazed. For everything else, I strongly agree.

I like their regular glazed donuts right after they've been made. But other than that nothing they offer is noteworthy. But it's cool when they do things like those Ghostbusters donuts from a couple of months ago. There's a couple of local bakeries whose donuts I'd take over Krispy Kreme any day.

akira28

Krispy Kreme was waaaay better when they were confined to the American South. When they expanded and went global they did something to their recipe or standards that made them nowhere near as good.

yeah, they increased the yeast like 25% or something. It's really noticable from when I had to go to North Carolina to get one, from when I could just go to Dupont.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
You have to get the normal glaze hot off of the conveyer belt.

Those are the only ones worth having.

This is true for all donuts. Donuts, like french fries, have a shelf life of minutes once cooked. I prefer Krispy Kreme just for the fact I have never in my life gotten a dunkin donut right off the line, whereas I've always gotten fresh, hot KK donuts.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Fresh Krispy Kremes are pretty good. Apart from that... meh.

WTF @ people in this thread saying Dunkin' Donuts is better than anything.

hitsugi

Krispy Kreme is garbage; some of the worst doughnuts I've ever eaten. Chocolate glazed with a sugar glazed bottom? Seriously? Their donuts have absolutely no substance.

Dunkin', at one point in time, was legit. It is likely that many people are referencing nostalgic days with that place... I would be as well if I hadn't had more recent experiences with them

FireCloud

I'm from North Carolina and Krispy Kremes have always been my favorite donuts. I was really surprised when I heard that they were struggling after expanding out of the South.

Initially, when they expanded, I believe they had a very positive reaction. I remember speaking with a client in Milwaukee on the phone and hearing a commotion in the background. When I asked him what was going on he said "Someone brought in Krispy Kremes!!!"

Earlier this year I had to go to Istanbul on a business trip and was surprised to see a Krispy Kreme at Carrefour. I don't know why but it seemed as strange to me as seeing a Smithfield's Chicken 'N Bar-B-Q (SCNB) there.

I'm glad that more people are getting to experience the brand but I wonder about the quality.

If you want them at their best, for those who don't know, go when the "Hot Now" sign in the window is lit up. We've stopped for donuts when we wouldn't otherwise have just because they were "hot now".

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Krispy Kreme is overated for the same reason as Chik Fil A - it's delicious, but then so is every other donut and most fried chicken sammiches.

Krispy Kreme is garbage; some of the worst doughnuts I've ever eaten. Chocolate glazed with a sugar glazed bottom? Seriously? Their donuts have absolutely no substance.

Dunkin', at one point in time, was legit. It is likely that many people are referencing nostalgic days with that place... I would be as well if I hadn't had more recent experiences with them

Last decade, DD essentially switched from a fresh donut store that also sold coffee to a coffee shop with a rack of delivered donuts.

Log4Girlz

Its covered in HFC, how can you not love it? Oh, that's right, you're not from around these parts. I bet you didn't even clap after you were finished.

Shipley's in Texas are the best donuts I've ever had.

This.

Krispy Kreme is just sugar in the shape of a donut. You'll have much, much better luck with local donut stores or small regional chains. I can't remember the name but I went to this local place in Seattle once and the donuts were god tier.

Dunkin Donuts are good; at least, I've never had a bad time eating them.

Krispy Kreme is just too much. Any other variety of Krispy Kreme donut besides Original Glazed is much too sweet to the point of projectile vomiting, IMO.

Your moma is overrated!
So I finally had a Krispy Kreme donut with chocolate glazing and........

.....meh.
You're doing it wrong though. Should've bought the original glazed ones right off of the conveyor belt (I'm probably not the first to say this).

Pretty much this. A few years ago it was great. When family would visit they were blown away and I had no idea why. These days I get KK about once a year if that and its nothing amazing. Something is definitely off.

Fawoosh

Banned
Agreed, Krispy Kreme is shit. Finally tried Dunkin Donuts a couple months ago. Better, but not by much.

Best donuts I've ever had are from Butter Crisp in Covington, LA.
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/57/1123019/restaurant/New-Orleans/Butter-Krisp-Diner-Covington

Currently living in New Orleans and Blue Dot comes close but it's just not the same. If you can find Tastees that still make McKenzie's stuff (McKenzie's was the shit before they shut down) the buttermilk drops are amazing; It's like eating 10 donuts at once.
GibsonsBrittonmainsm-4bc18d55.jpeg

Regiruler

GAF donut threads are so predictable:

OP: X donuts are so good/shit
First half of page: you're wrong/I agree
Second half of page: they used to be better OR same as first half but increasing amount of expletives
Page two: (local place) is better and anyone who doesn't eat there is a fucking heathen
Page three +: cake vs. yeast

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Supermarket doughnuts = 69p for five
Krispy Kreme = £24831 for one

Why would I buy a KK?

I love doughnuts but of all the junk food on the planet I don't think I have ever left an encounter with my fluffy friend with anything but regret.

Supermarket doughnuts = 69p for five
Krispy Kreme = £24831 for one

Why would I buy a KK?

You pay for your Krispy Kreme doughnuts?
Bro your doing it wrong. I don't know if they still do this but everytime I went into that dang place they gave me at least 2 free just for showing up.
I rarely ever needed to buy anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom