• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krispy Kreme is overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Had DD for the first time recently and have to agree with this, utter trash. If you can't make a decent glazed donut you have no business making donuts and sure as hell don't deserve hype for it.
Do some people only consider something a donut if it's glazed? Maybe I am really weird for liking non-glazed donuts and disliking glaze.

Dead Man

If someone can point to better donuts in Australia I will HAPPILY give them a try.

I love donuts. Love them. Maple bars, bear claws, cinnamon twists, cake donuts, all of them. It's been 8 years since I ate a donut other than a fried cinnamon donut simply because Australia sucks at all the other ones. We just suck at them. Can't get them fress, can't get anything other than fucking chocolate icing or sprinkles. Can't get anything worth eating unless you spend a fortune.

Edit: And I just replied to an old post. Well done, lol.

PG2G

Do some people only consider something a donut if it's glazed? Maybe I am really weird for liking non-glazed donuts and disliking glaze.

No I don't think so, but I would consider it the base level donut that any donut spot should nail. Kind of like if a pizza spot can't make a cheese pizza.

Blizzard

Banned
I generally don't like any chain donut place. Dunkin Donuts is dreadful as well. Find a local place, it is bound to be better.
I've oddly had the opposite experience on this as well. The local place I've had donuts from a few times makes super sugary, slimy, squishy, weird stuff with bacon, maple syrup, glaze, weird shapes, or whatever.

I just want a plain, circular, firm, non-moist, cakey donut without weirdness. ;___;

Bagels are okay but that's a different sort of animal.

cajunator

Banned
These
Fpo4nN5.jpg

MrDaravon

I just want a plain, circular, firm, non-moist, cakey donut without weirdness. ;___;

Same here. It's funny because a Krispy Kreme opened quite literally right across the street from our place a couple of months ago, and I just have no interest. My wife loves them, but I just hate how incredibly sugary and sweet everything else. Like, every once in a while sure, but just about everything they serve there is like that. I've tried about everything they have there, only thing I can somewhat tolerate is the sour cream glazed donut since that's a solid cake donut with glaze. Almost everything else is their regular type of donut with glaze on it, it's just too much for me. I was hoping their apple fritters were going to be different but nope, they're just pure glaze and sugar. I get why people like them, but goddamn is everything so sweet there.

So I finally had a Krispy Kreme donut with chocolate glazing and........

.....meh.

Some soft cake thing with a weak glaze. Must have cost about 5 cents to produce. I don't get what the big deal is supposed to be. Maybe if it had a creme filling it would make more of an impression.

Krispy Kreme is supposed to be better than Dunkin' Donuts so I am probably not even going to bother trying that.

I guess donuts aren't my thing then. So many better cakes.

You went to Krispy Kreme and you didnt get an Original Glazed hot and fresh off the belt?

Of course it wasn't impressive. You fucked up. This is like getting on a bike and trying to pedal with your arms. You go right back and you get that thing in your mouth while it's still hot!

Aiustis

I will only eat doughnuts from about 5 places. Krispy Kreme is one of them. But there are none around here. I stick to local joints for my doughnut fixes but I will go for Krispy Kreme when I happen to be somewhere that they exist.

Edit: also yeah you fucked up. Original glazed Krispy Kreme.

Soybean

I love Krispy Kreme. They're so airy and moist. Even if they're not fresh off the line.

Dunkin' Donuts is too dry inside. A lot of artisanal doughnuts are too dense for my tastes. Astro and GBD in Washington, DC, for example.

cajunator

Banned
I love Krispy Kreme. They're so airy and moist. Even if they're not fresh off the line.

Dunkin' Donuts is too dry inside. A lot of artisanal doughnuts are too dense for my tastes. Astro and GBD in Washington, DC, for example.

Meche's would blow your mind then

LosDaddie

Banned
As an adult, I don't go for all those crazy donuts anymore. Just give me plain 'ol glazed donuts and i'm straight.

KK's glazed donuts are great.

I've oddly had the opposite experience on this as well. The local place I've had donuts from a few times makes super sugary, slimy, squishy, weird stuff with bacon, maple syrup, glaze, weird shapes, or whatever.

Bagels are okay but that's a different sort of animal.

Without a doubt! But I feel like I can only get that at a local place. My local places don't have much of the weird actually. Also screw those that try to get an extra day out of the fryer and the donuts have a horrible taste because of it. I don't eat donuts often but talk about a terrible experience.

Also glad I am not alone in wanting a simple cake donut. Done right it proves you don't need anything else. Especially if the outside of the donut has a slight crisp to it.

TheDanger

Banned
I was in New York once, that was the only time in my life I had access to donut shops, the ones they sell in stores and bakeries in my country are mostly pretty awful. Anyway I only went to Dunkin Donuts and I must say I never had better donuts, and they were so cheap if you bought more, here in my country 1 costs at least 1.50$. I especially liked the French Cruller one:

12-10-27-french-cruller-donut-dunkin-donuts.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Dunkin's Cruller's are about my favorite. I either get them, the old fashioned/cake donuts (to dunk in the coffee), and now, I occasionally get their ripoff Croissant donuts. Their glazed versions, though, are horrible.

Only good KK donuts, are the hot N now donuts, and only when eaten hot. Found nothing else there to bother getting again.

Sugar aside...
Krispy Kreme Donuts' variety and taste >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Timmies
I had some this year after I told my sis how disappointed I was with the current Tim Hortons

It opened my eyes.... Sadly they're aren't too many of them here in Canada :(
Also you can't really eat a lot of them before the sugar high kicks in

Naw, Tim Horton's Honey Dip is a lot fluffier than Krispy Kreme and has a lot less sugar in the glaze.

It's way better at Tim's for my favourite donut, and Maple Dip as well.

Krispy Kreme is a mainstay, my favorite glazed doughnut by far, but you HAVE to eat them fresh. With a cup of rich black coffee. Jesus Christ so good.

olympia

Krispy Kreme is pretty bad. Their jelly donuts seem like they're filled with melted fruit roll-ups. I'd take donuts from a local shop any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom