• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krispy Kreme is overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntropy

Wait, how does one get one off the line? You go to a KK shop?
if this is lit
filename-krispy-kreme.jpg

The only time I've ever eaten Krispy Kreme is when somebody brings like 10 boxes of them to a meeting, party or event I had to go to. They're shit donuts but I'll eat anything that's free.

95% of krispy kreme's output is only good if it's less than 10 minutes out of their fryer/conveyor belt. Then it just turns into a filthy puck of stodge with the kind of frosting you can feel scraping against your teeth when you bite into it.

Warm, fresh krispy kreme is great though.

So I finally had a Krispy Kreme donut with chocolate glazing and........

.....meh.

Some soft cake thing with a weak glaze. Must have cost about 5 cents to produce. I don't get what the big deal is supposed to be. Maybe if it had a creme filling it would make more of an impression.

Krispy Kreme is supposed to be better than Dunkin' Donuts so I am probably not even going to bother trying that.

I guess donuts aren't my thing then. So many better cakes.

A picture of the disappointing baked good:
They're probably the worst doughnuts I've ever had. They just taste greasy and the dough is way too light.

Dennis

Banned
I am going to be honest. I am worried about the American use of HFCS. That is alien to my Euro body.

Reading ingredient lists is terrifying. Half of everything seems to be HFCS and soy.

Krispy Kreme donuts don't taste stale as quickly as other donuts. If someone brings KK donuts into the office and they have been sitting all day I'll eat one.

Loxley

I agree. I remember when I was about 14 and one opened near where I live - it was made out to be this huge deal. I tried them and didn't get the appeal at all. I don't like all my donuts covered in glaze.

The best donuts I've ever had are these cinnamon-sugar covered apple-cider cake donuts made by a bakery located not too far from where I live. No Krispy Kreme has ever come remotely close to tasting that delicious.

Krispy Kreme is too sweet, it tastes like a half cup of raw sugar.

If you want to get serious, you go to California donuts on 3rd Street in Los Angeles. You'll never touch Krispy Kreme's again.

hitsugi

Last decade, DD essentially switched from a fresh donut store that also sold coffee to a coffee shop with a rack of delivered donuts.

I heard about that, and it's really disappointing. While I wouldn't argue that DD has always had decent coffee, I would never bother going to one now that they aren't actually making doughnuts on site. It's just.. weird. Going to a doughnut shop that doesn't make doughnuts?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Big chains are not where it's at when it comes to donuts. Find local shops and get your donuts there.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's not so much that Krispy Kreme is overrated, it's that like many fast foods they went to shit when they got too big and too national.

Krispy Kreme was fucking amazing during the early Clinton years, as was Dunkin Donuts. Then they made a bunch of moves to get more profitable and the product suffered.

I am going to be honest. I am worried about the American use of HFCS. That is alien to my Euro body.

Reading ingredient lists is terrifying. Half of everything seems to be HFCS and soy.

We get it. You dislike America. You keep making and posting in threads about how much you dislike it here. Go back home if it really bothers you that much.

Regiruler

I heard about that, and it's really disappointing. While I wouldn't argue that DD has always had decent coffee, I would never bother going to one now that they aren't actually making doughnuts on site. It's just.. weird. Going to a doughnut shop that doesn't make doughnuts?

Their bagels are ace though.

There was like 3 near my home town back in Cali, now just one, that time forgot. I used to stop by it to buy a dozen for the family after a long week of work.

EYEL1NER

My interactions with people would have never led me to believe that they were overrated. Some people I know like them, some people I know like Duncan Doughnuts, some people I know like mom 'n pop shops. I don't know, I like food. I'll eat some if I have the opportunity.

tanooki27

It's better than any other goddamn donut. how can it possibly be overrated? what heavenly standard of donut excellence are you comparing it to?

Krispy Kreme is good if you want a soft donut that melts in your mouth.

I don't like them because I prefer old fashioned cake donuts. Much denser, with a little bit of crunch on the outside.

Dennis

Banned
I have yet to find a place that sell the vaunted Cronut. Maybe that will be my more my thing - at the very least it sounds like a thing to try at least once.

Pic of the contender:

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Last decade, DD essentially switched from a fresh donut store that also sold coffee to a coffee shop with a rack of delivered donuts.

This is why I don't really care for Dunkin Donut's -- one time I was told I would get my doughnuts fresh, but what I really got was an already delivered doughnut that was freshly glazed. I see DD as trying to be competitive with Starbucks more than other doughnut chains.

I would take a KK doughnut any day of the week over DD's. Also, Krispy Kreme has awesome apple fritters, and I don't even really like stuff made with apples!

Enron

Banned
yeah. if your KK donut came from a box in a supermarket - they are generally still pretty good but the fresh ones from a KK store are 1000x better.

shira

I have yet to find a place that sell the vaunted Cronut. Maybe that will be my more my thing - at the very least it sounds like a thing to try at least once.

Pic of the contender:

You have to eat them ASAP. Doesn't make for great meal options.

The Krispy Kreme in Calgary shut down like 2 years after it opened.

It has been replaced with another overrated donut place, Tim Horton's.
I tried a Tim Hortons coffee - tasted like burnt toast. It was offensively bad.

Plus WARM Krispy Kremes? Why the shit did I never think of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom