• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krispy Kreme just opened a store by my house

The only donut I eat is The Donut Scene in Strongsville, Ohio.

Here's my most recent haul:

Protip: if your donut shop thinks a dozen is 12, go to a different one.

ufZSy.jpg

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Krispy Kreme is to donuts what Coldstone Creamery is to ice cream. Sure, it still tastes good, but just as how Coldstone is not good ice cream and only survived in strip malls, Krispy Kreme is not particularly good donuts and really failed after their explosive expansion a decade ago (Coldstone similarly).

Like, Coldstone is good if you have no other options for ice cream. KK is good if you have no other options for donuts. Both make products that undeniably taste good. But neither are good examples of the food they're making, and they've never lived up to the hype.

As a kid/teen, when I'd go on vacations in the South and would drive past Krispy Kreme, I thought it was such an odd name for a coffee & donut shop. Like... if your cream, presumably going into your coffee, is crispy there is a strong likelihood that your cream is very very spoiled.

Oh man that thought alone is nasty. Crispy cream. Fack. Lol

people like Dunkin's donuts? aren't they frozen and arrive on trucks? it's like the Hot Pocket of donuts.

Nah, Dunkin Donuts isn't very good, but no, usually they don't arrive frozen on trucks. There's usually a central bakery in an area that will make them and then ship them out to the various stores that day to be put on the racks. For instance, my city probably has like...... 20-30 dunkin donuts in the immediate area, and there's two central DD bakeries that make the donuts, load them onto trucks at like 4am and get them to all of the individual stores.

If you go to the main DD that makes the donuts, which is usually one with large building in the back, they're pretty good. Better than Krispy Kreme, but not better than your average donut shop that focuses on donuts.

Clockwork

Dunkin Donuts is trash too. They don't even make their donuts within the retail location.

If I want some donuts I go to the local bakery.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Dunkin Donuts is trash too. They don't even make their donuts within the retail location.

If I want some donuts I go to the local bakery.

There's a big gulf between amazing and trash.

Dunkin Donuts still tastes good and I would never consider it trash. Of course there are better alternatives but that doesn't somehow make the donuts at DD terrible, at least in my opinion. I've had some truly awful foods, donuts included, and DD is nowhere near something that bad.

I only eat donuts from locally run boutiques that serve organic farm-to-table bacon and kale krullers with a sriracha espresso glaze. They're amazing, but I wouldn't recommend them to people who like Krispy Kreme donuts. I just don't think they could handle the complexity.

I find their glaze a little too sweet for me. I haven't had one in years, though. I prefer The Donut Man or The Donut Hole here in SoCal.

I lived in Florida for a bit when I was 19/20 and was getting free Krispy Kreme donuts all the time from the place I worked from the woman who worked for them. If that happened today I'd probably gain another 40 pounds.

Luschient

Oh man, I just saw what the "prizes" were for their grand opening.

PRIZES: The first 100 registered Participants through the door who comply with these Rules will win one of the following prizes:
- The FIRST in line (i.e., “Number 1”) will receive one free dozen “Original Glazed” doughnuts every week for a year, a commemorative Grand Opening t-shirt and the honor of turning on the “Hot Doughnuts NOW” sign when the Store opens.
- Numbers 2 through 100 will receive one free dozen “Original Glazed” doughnuts every month for a year and a commemorative Grand Opening t-shirt.

iam-fat-images.jpg

flkraven

I used to feel this way about Krispy Kreme. Then I had Paula's Donuts. So damn good. Likewise, the bakery near my house is on point.

gwiz210

Believe me OP, Krispy Kreme is one of those brands that's amazing the first time you have it but it's never quite as special as the first time.

I had one open by me when I was in high school. The donuts were fucking fantastic but the coffee sucked. They closed down like 3-4 years later because people went to DD for coffee and just bought donuts there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm hoping UK Krispy Kreme are shit because if they're representative of how they're supposed to taste then I really don't understand the fuss. Way too sweet and sickly. Give me a nice doughy fresh ring donut, or an old fashioned

I'm hoping UK Krispy Kreme are shit because if they're representative of how they're supposed to taste then I really don't understand the fuss. Way too sweet and sickly. Give me a nice doughy fresh ring donut, or an old fashioned

H-j8DZ.gif

But yeah, you 'muricans are credited with creating the donut, so not sure why you think KK passes as a good example of one?

jeemer

They need to stop trying to sell Hershey as a thing over here in the UK. Literally every local brand of chocolate is better than that vomit tasting shite.

couldn't agree more man. hersheys? reeses? oreos? no thanks, keep em. i dunno why they keep trying to push it. a lot of cadburys stuff has gone to shit in recent years, we don't need that awful muck too.

I'm hoping UK Krispy Kreme are shit because if they're representative of how they're supposed to taste then I really don't understand the fuss. Way too sweet and sickly. Give me a nice doughy fresh ring donut

nah that's it man. you're basically just down with iced buns. part of the appeal of the kk rings are that they're composed of sugar + air.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I grew up on Shipley's cherry frosted donuts. I also grew out on them

I know what you mean.

I go to Dunkin waaaay too often. Mostly for the coffee. Only donuts I care for are the old fashioned/cake donuts,and the cruellers. Occasionally they have a version of the "cronut" that is ok.

KK, only thing worth a stop is the hot and ready glazed. Everything else was terrible to me, coffee included.

KK is the best "Large Franchise" Donut Shop for me. Easily shitting on DD.
Like any Pizza Franchise, There will always be a local Mom n Pops shop that puts them to shame.

DD and KK both have some of the shittiest Coffee around though, absolute garbage.

Falchion

I had one a quarter mile from my house in Kentucky. During the winter, the smell from the hot donuts would carry through the air and it was so good.

Mortemis

Banned
I'm glad I don't live anywhere close to a Krispy Kreme or all of the great donut shops in seattle. It'd be the death of me.

They blow away DD crappy donuts, but they have to be fresh to really truly understand why they taste good. They just lose so much of the awesome if not hot and fresh.

I would gladly buy donuts locally if there was a decent donut shop, but closest one is like half hour away and kinda pricey.

jwk94

Why does Krispy Kreme have different donuts than other places? They're my favorite but I've noticed that everyone else has these thick, cake-like donuts.

onken

I only eat donuts from locally run boutiques that serve organic farm-to-table bacon and kale krullers with a sriracha espresso glaze. They're amazing, but I wouldn't recommend them to people who like Krispy Kreme donuts. I just don't think they could handle the complexity.

This is either a joke post or the most painfully pretentious nonsense I've read in a long time.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
When Krispy Kreme was first getting popular around 2001-2002 I had a whole box, around 6-8 donuts, and became immediately sick afterwards from all the sugar and dough. I think I've had one since then.

If you haven't had a Krispy Kreme glazed donut before, you're in for a surprise. They're actually really fuckin good. Haven't had one in like 10 years.

Boogie9IGN

Fuck it, guess I'm going to Krispy Kreme after class for some OG and cinnamon apple-filled. Don't really know of any local places that are different than your generic donut shop (except for Psycho Donuts but they kinda suck)

Acrylic7

Huge fan of their blueberry cakes. Especially when they are fresh.
Fight yo ass in line for some blueberry cakes.

Steel

Banned
While I was in a job in Kansas City there was this one donut place(I forget the name) that was local that I'd put well above Krispy Kreme. Made the 12+ hour workdays 7 days a week slightly more tolerable.

That being said I like Dunkin Donuts as much as Krispy, so....

They're better than Dunkin, at least.

Your local bakery / donut shop >>>>>>>> Krispy > Dunkin

I just really prefer traditional donuts, not ones that have been glazed 10 times, and I can only have 1 bite before I get sick of the taste.

Local > than all in my opinion.

Top Bottom