• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. bar sells Colt 45 for 15 dollars, in a paper bag. In other news, L.A. is not SF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

920x920.jpg

Some are lamenting it as "gentrification at its finest," and others believe someone is "just trolling us now," but whatever the case, Saint Felix in Los Angeles is actually peddling a $15 40-ounce bottle of Colt 45 malt liquor — complete with a brown paper bag.

The beer, which has been called both the "most patriotic drink in America" as well as "rank and rancid like a rotting gazelle," has a storied place in pop culture and a strong hipster (and "Star Wars" fan) draw.

The L.A. bar reportedly added the item to their menu years ago, and is now pricing it for around 500 percent the cost of its store shelf price — no Zig-Zags include.

Damn anyone want to go in with me on an Old E and Natty Light bar? Maybe I been drinking, mixed San Fran with LA

n0razi

I mean if you can afford $4000/mo in rent then you can afford a $15 beer... its a whole different world out there

tbm24

Co-worker showed me this the other day. Not surprised in the slightest. Would have a resist a strong urge to poke fun at whoever buys it.

Xe4

Banned
Jesus, fuck gentrification. Why isn't San Francisco doing anything about it? Wait, no actually I know the answer.

ThisGuy

Get a cobra for two bucks, comes with a free brown bag lmao.

The experience of the poor for a laugh at the comfort of a upscale bar. Scared.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm not sure whether this is cultural appropriation or a bad joke on the customers.

norm9

It's real smart of the bar if they're charging $15 (plus tip?!) for something that costs $4 at the liquor store and getting people (young people amirite?) to buy it.

The people buying it though, are real dumb.

studyguy

What bar in LA needs to sell this?
It's not rare or anything. What's stopping a dude from rolling to literally any gas station in southern california for a tallboy or a 40?

At this point I'm impressed if the bar even sells it at this price and suckers are willing to pay for it.

Matty77

Old E sure, even some Haffenreffer for the kicks, sure Colt.45 even.

But Slayven even for free Natty is just headache beer. I used to be a problem drinker and there were night I went without if the only option was Natty.

And 15 dollars for a forty in a bag has to be the most hipsterest of hipster shit I have ever seen. Do they smoke a 20 dollar Black & Mild while drinking it?

Slayven

Old E sure, even some Haffenreffer for the kicks, sure Colt.45 even.

But Slayven even for free Natty is just headache beer. I used to be a problem drinker and there were night I went without if the only option was Natty.

And 15 dollars for a forty in a bag has to be the most hipsterest of hipster shit I have ever seen. Do they smoke a 20 dollar Black & Mild while drinking it?

I use to drink Everclear and Baracuda 151, but the only liquor that fucked me up was Old Crow. That shit was straight floor varnish

okno

When I was living in Wicker Park in Chicago back in 2008, there was a shitty sports bar there called The 50/50 that sold Colt 45 or king Cobra in a brown sack for $12.

You could easily get either for $1.50 or $2.00 depending on where you shopped.

studyguy

"Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA"

Excuse me

Dogfish Head is the brewery.
They have a 120minute IPA. I guess they continuously feed hops for 120min when brewing or something? Anyway tasted like barelywine that was too thick. Almost syrupy. Shit was gross. Not an IPA guy either way but still I can't do those weirdo craft beers when they get nuts.

norm9

Dogfish Head is the brewery.
They have a 120minute IPA. I guess they continuously feed hops for 120min when brewing or something? Anyway tasted like barelywine that was too thick. Almost syrupy. Shit was gross.

I agree. Every Imperial IPA is gross.

the bag makes it an authentic poverty beverage. you're paying an extra $13 for the authentic poverty experience.

trust me if you're drinking in that part of hollywood you also get the authentic poverty atmosphere. Bonus points for staggering over a few blocks to Good Times at Davey Wayne's for that vintage 'my uncle's filthy rotten booze basement that reeks of urine' progression to your evening.

gosox333

steel reserve mickeys or cobra are all more relevant

hopefully their r&d team looks into this more and can get some of these products into bags for customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom