• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. bar sells Colt 45 for 15 dollars, in a paper bag. In other news, L.A. is not SF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

The problem is not that you can get it cheaper at a store. Everything you buy at a bar is way more expensive (bars generally aim for the alcohol cost to be at 30% of charged price, but that's on average). What you pay for is the rent, the staff, the owners making a profit and ideally a more fun experience than drinking at home. Now sure, that seem to be on the high end of those margins, but I'll bet you the wine on the menu have higher margin (quick google search shows that St. Francis Cab is $14 a bottle on the internet, they should be able to easily get that for at at least half the price of retail). And yeah, that's an expensive bar as a whole, but I guess that's a reflection of the rent and the general cost of living in the area.

No, the problem with that shit is that it's LOL POOR PEOPLE, with just a dash of LOL BLACK PEOPLE, and that's fucking disgusting to me.

You know they lecture people on the pronunciation of Pho

border

Seems priced pretty appropriately, considering that you are getting 2.5-3+ servings of alcohol. If they priced it much lower there would be little reason to buy anything else on the menu. I think a lot of bars fuck themselves over by selling $2 PBR cans, because that ends up being all anyone wants to buy and they have to alot a huge amount of stoarge space to low-end garbage they hardly make any money on.

That said, it seems like a pretty terrible purchase anyway. That Colt 45 tastes bad even when it's cold, and by the time you are halfway done it is going to be warm as fuck.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Mickeys comes with rebuses on the cap so that's some pretty intellectual malt liquor if you ask me

Literally across the street from St. Felix you can enter Big Wang's, a significantly less pretentious dive bar where $15 will get you an entire pitcher of actually good beer, or nearly 3 pitchers of the cheap shit.

Who the hell goes to Big Wangs? Go to an actual good bar and pay good money for a stiff drink at The Burgundy Room or The Velvet Margarita which are both next door.

If you need a beer go to Ball and Chain.

image patronizing a place called big Wang's

oh-my-takei.gif

Matty77

I got some 76 dollar private reserve Zima.
Now that's a brand I haven't thought of or heard about in a long while.

I legit still have an empty mad dog 20/20 bottle around here somewhere.
The closest thing I had to a father figure introduced us all and would buy us bottles of night train, those were the days. Or we would get Boones Farm and just drink it like a 40.

Strawberry hill forever.

I_D

Seems priced pretty appropriately, considering that you are getting 2.5-3+ servings of alcohol.

Exactly this. What's the problem? Isn't this standard practice?

Most bars charge an insane markup on their drinks. I've been at bars where a single shot of rum can run $10.

How else are they supposed to make money?

Slayven

Now that's a brand I haven't thought of or heard about in a long while.

The closest thing I had to a father figure introduced us all and would buy us bottles of night train, those were the days. Or we would get Boones Farm and just drink it like a 40.

Strawberry hill forever.

They stopped making it in 2008, that is why it is private reserve

Exactly this. What's the problem? Isn't this standard practice?

Most bars charge an insane markup on their drinks. I've been at bars where a single shot of rum can run $10.

How else are they supposed to make money?

Problem ain't the price.

Problem is the price, coupled with the presentation.

Next thing you know they'll include a free doo-rag and burner to go with it.

Complete the 90's racist ensemble.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
In everyway imaginable, this is the dumbest thing I have heard in a very long time.

In other news, My boss received a case of Colt 45 for pollyanna (Secret Santa) this year and it was wrapped in a trash bag, I shit you not. I work in Voip Telecom.

border

Problem is the price, coupled with the presentation.

I'd say the problem is entirely presentation. The price is fair, considering that you are basically buying 3 beers at once. In a place like Los Angeles, paying $5/beer seems more than acceptable. I almost think it would be more funny and hipstery if the Colt 45 came out in an iced-down champagne bucket, and you could pour out glasses of it as you drank. If you're going to pretend like malt liquor is really an expensive delicacy, you might as well go all the way.

DiscoJer

40s without the bag just aren't as fun. Same with those shatterproof bottles. Give me glass or give me death.

I still vividly remember in college, when my friend accidentally dropped one. It was like in slow motion, his face went from from astonishment to horror to sorrow. "Nooooo"

He later had to leave college because he thought it was a good idea to Tarzan out a 3rd story window. He survived, but really tore up his hands.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Downtown LA already been selling coffee for $5 to $6 a cup, and it is always full of people. Someone need to do a blind test to see if those coffee really worth the extra $4.

Who the hell goes to Big Wangs? Go to an actual good bar and pay good money for a stiff drink at The Burgundy Room or The Velvet Margarita which are both next door.

If you need a beer go to Ball and Chain.

Velvet Margarita is legit one of my favorite lunch spots in Hollywood. Big Wangs is easier to get big groups into and it's cheap and has sports, I'm not that picky when I want both of those things.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Sooooo I assume this is expensive? Or is it something to do with the paper bag?
$15 for a 98¢ bottle of "not even really beer" beer? Yes, that's quite expensive.

7threst

So I understand this is like the cheapest beer sold for a bizarre high price coupled with the poor experience? To be honest, I don't really know what to make of that (aside from the strange gap of shelve price and bar price). However, isn't beer in American bars always expensive? I bought a 11 dollar Heineken once in Miami which had me floored of disgust because I'm from Holland and Heineken (and other regular beer) is oretty cheap at bars.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
For us non-Americans, what does this stuff taste like? It's a beer, yeah? Lager? Does it taste like anything you can get in the UK?

Colt 45 is like a lager that's been left out in the sun in a rain barrel underneath a pine tree for about a week.

The paper bag tastes like a paper bag

For us non-Americans, what does this stuff taste like? It's a beer, yeah? Lager? Does it taste like anything you can get in the UK?

If sadness and cheapness had a taste it'd be Colt 45.

It's overly syrupy and doesn't get any real foam, so you're drinking a nasty flat ass beer essentially.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Selling overpriced authenticity to rich hipsters is such a good racket.

akileese

If sadness and cheapness had a taste it'd be Colt 45.

It's overly syrupy and doesn't get any real foam, so you're drinking a nasty flat ass beer essentially.

I thought sadness and cheapness was Dubra? For those unfamiliar, it's a brand of Vodka localized almost entirely in the NY,NJ,CT area. Popular with broke ass college kids/high schoolers and it tastes like fucking rubbing alcohol. Shit, it might actually be rubbing alcohol. If you had to give me the option of drinking Dubra or never drinking again, well guess I'm sober now. Shit was like $10 for a fucking handle.

Since we're talking about shitty alcohol that might actually blind you, my buddy and I got a 24 pack of red dog at Colonial Liqour in Norwalk, CT for like 8 bucks once. Boy was that a bad weekend.

Colt 45s are awful and taste like brown but honestly, it's not nearly as bad as some of the regional liqour/beer you can get in the tri-state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom