• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. bar sells Colt 45 for 15 dollars, in a paper bag. In other news, L.A. is not SF

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Problem ain't the price.

Problem is the price, coupled with the presentation.

Next thing you know they'll include a free doo-rag and burner to go with it.

Complete the 90's racist ensemble.

What are you doing here Frozenprince? Why are you assoicating 40s in a brown bag to doo-rags and burners? And why would this be racist?

Chichikov

$15 for a 98¢ bottle of "not even really beer" beer? Yes, that's quite expensive.
You have to consider opportunity cost, margins aren't everything.
A 40 is about 3 drinks, both in terms of volume and of alcohol content (give or take), when someone drink a 40, that's 3 drinks he's not buying. Now yeah, selling it for $4 gives you a great margin, but you're still making $3 on 3 drinks, and that ain't paying the rent or the salary in LA.
And to be clear, I don't think this is okay, far from it, I think it's fucking disgusting, but the issue isn't really the price.

You know they lecture people on the pronunciation of Pho
I have a really good vietnamese friend who has a Pho place in Seattle, she have seen things man...
Whenever I go back we usually go to whatever new fusion pho place the hipsters open up on the hill, good times. They all assume she's mexican because... well, I don't fucking know, I guess because people are fucking clueless about things.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
My friends dad drank 40's... he wasn't poor.. he was just a raging alcoholic. He left the bag on too.

mckmas8808

Because it's largely poor urbans who are associated to it? What do you think the point of a beverage that's tastes furthest from respectable, sold at rock bottom prices for a 40oz is?

Now I don't drink alcohol, but I grew up in the middle class suburbs and remember seeing 40s sold in gas stations all the time in the 90s.

I have every reason to believe that people in the area was buying and drinking them there too.

What are you doing here Frozenprince? Why are you assoicating 40s in a brown bag to doo-rags and burners? And why would this be racist?

Because the most common association these otherwise wealthy and profoundly out of touch erstwhile people who will order this is one of poverty and race.

If it was just paying more for a liquor that came in a bag it'd be one thing, but there is a profoundly warped racial connotation here that really kinda makes me uncomfortable.

That doesn't look like a dive bar at all. Dive bars need to be dimly lit with question liquid on the floor.

I need to step in piss/vomit at least twice for it to be a proper dive bar.

Now I don't drink alcohol, but I grew up in the middle class suburbs and remember seeing 40s sold in gas stations all the time in the 90s.

I have every reason to believe that people in the area was buying and drinking them there too.

You've ever been to Malt liquor and cheese soiree?

That liquor is for passing truckers and promiscuous preteens.

mckmas8808

Because the most common association these otherwise wealthy and profoundly out of touch erstwhile people who will order this is one of poverty and race.

If it was just paying more for a liquor that came in a bag it'd be one thing, but there is a profoundly warped racial connotation here that really kinda makes me uncomfortable.

I need to step in piss/vomit at least twice for it to be a proper dive bar.

But it's not like they ham it up in the menu using "hippety-hop" 90s lingo with a picture of Snoop Dog beside the price. It honestly could be an ode to what was popular in many parts of L.A. in the 90s.

Holiday

Banned
I used to live next to a gas station that sold a 4 pack of 16-ounce Colt for about 4 bucks. The times I brought that up to the counter were not the proudest moments of my life, I have to say.

But it's not like they ham it up in the menu using "hippety-hop" 90s lingo with a picture of Snoop Dog beside the price. It honestly could be an ode to what was popular in many parts of L.A. in the 90s.

You can't expect blackface all the time, but their 'ironically' making commodity out of poverty.

As someone who grew up lower class, hipsters commodifying the "struggle" as some ironic post facto "haha aren't we funny and ironic for turning this into something wealthy people do haha" thing just makes my skin crawl.

Given the audience that purchases things like this, I'm not inclined to grant them the benefit of the doubt that this is supposed to be mundane.

Pejo

For $15 it better be Billy Dee Williams himself serving it to me.

"It works every time!"

Lol this is stupid, but the real stupidity lies with the people buying it.

I don't find this any worse than hipsters that claim PBR is the best "value" beer.
They're wrong by the way, it's Old German

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Colt 45 is hobo beer you can get at any gas station for like 2 bucks.

ExmEz7s.jpg

mckmas8808

You can't expect blackface all the time, but their 'ironically' making commodity out of poverty.

As someone who grew up lower class, hipsters commodifying the "struggle" as some ironic post facto "haha aren't we funny and ironic for turning this into something wealthy people do haha" thing just makes my skin crawl.

Given the audience that purchases things like this, I'm not inclined to grant them the benefit of the doubt that this is supposed to be mundane.

I can see that side too. And you two are probably more right than I am on this.

What was Billy Dee alluding to when he said "It works everytime"?

Im not familiar with this beverage and so i thought a Colt 45 was some sort of gun and the idea of a bar selling a gun in a brown paper bag......

Where is this place? Malt liquor is like 2 bucks. 10 cents for the bag. This a troll?

I take it the Star Wars fans they mean Billy Dee Williams malt liquor commercials they used to air during soul train. Amirite?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Today I learned that those Billy Dee Williams ads for Colt 45 were real. I always thought they were something from some movie, a parody of some real ad.

I honestly wish more places served some malt liquor especially Mickeys. But selling it in a brown paper bag? Give me a damn glass, this aint the hood.

Is it cool if I puke all over the place after chugging like I can in the alley? I mean it comes in a paper bag right?

On a slightly more serious note, 40s are for getting.... shit-faced really fast... I don't think that's a subjective thing... why you would promote this.. well I mean look at shit like PBR turn into a self-marketing phenomenon... i guess you gotta fish for the next dumb fad if you're feeling a disturbance in the force and whatnot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom