• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Noire sequel needs to happen

VulcanRaven

L.A. Noire was one of my favorite games of the 360/PS3 generation so its a shame that Rockstar hasn't made a sequel for it. The face motion capture technology was very impressive at the time and it still looks good. A bit blurry at times but it worked. I don't think any other games have tried to do interrogations like that where need to tell if a person if lying or not. It could be so much better if made today. I have a wanted a sequel set in 1950s San Francisco or New York for a long time. Rockstar can give it to some outside developer if they are busy. We need a new big budget open-world detective game.

The atmosphere was so good:

Last edited:

Salz01

I…. it will ever happen.

press-x-to-doubt-la-noire.jpg

Rac3r

Doubtful since game development takes way too fucking long these days, and as a result, every major publisher is leaning on their bread-and-butter franchises. LA Noire was a passion project and a risk that I don't think Rockstar will take in today's landscape. Still find it so crazy how we got GTA IV, Red Dead, LA Noire, Max Payne 3, and GTA V, all within a five year span. Golden age of Rockstar, and maybe gaming in general.

Last edited:

Skifi28

It's perfect as it is, not everything needs a sequel.

Rockstar can give it to some outside developer if they are busy.
Especially if some random developers releases a turd that just tarnishes the name, I'd rather have fond memories of the name.

I never played this actually. I assume PC is the best version?
30fps locked like all versions. I believe there is a way to force it to 60, but last time I checked it messed with the game logic and broke driving as well as some missions so probably not recommended. Having said that, the framerate didn't really bother me. The game is good to play regardless.

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
If you’re playing L.A. Noire 2, you’re not buying shark cards. Rockstar wouldn’t like that.

Sad as it is, opportuinity cost is absolutely a buzzword in the boardrooms of these companies, particularly those that have the biggest slice of the gamer demographic pie eating from their trough. Which is a really weird mixed metaphor but, you know what? I like it!

Sleepwalker

It's perfect as it is, not everything needs a sequel.

Especially if some random developers releases a turd that just tarnishes the name, I'd rather have fond memories of the name.

30fps locked like all versions. I believe there is a way to force it to 60, but last time I checked it messed with the game logic and broke driving as well as some missions so probably not recommended. Having said that, the framerate didn't really bother me. The game is good to play regardless.
At 30fps then the Deck is probably the best way to play unless there are some incredible graphical mods. Thank you, ill take a look.

Kerotan

Considering the rate at which they release games and how few updates GTA online gets along with no updates for RDR2. R* need to hire about a thousand new developers to even think about making anything else.

sadly, l.a. noire, like deadly premonition, is lightning in a bottle: sheer brilliance, never to be captured again (see deadly premonition 2)...

tho i'd love it if they tried something somewhat similar in the same setting...

Killer8

I never played this actually. I assume PC is the best version?

Remastered on consoles is best. All versions are locked at 30fps (can't go higher on PC or it causes bugs). The remastered versions however have significantly better textures and model improvements, which is important for the close up investigation parts. Remastered has better quality SSAO above the PC version. Both PS5 and Xbox Series X also run the game in native 4K.

Sleepwalker

Remastered on consoles is best. All versions are locked at 30fps (can't go higher on PC or it causes bugs). The remastered versions however have significantly better textures and model improvements, which is important for the close up investigation parts. Remastered has better quality SSAO above the PC version. Both PS5 and Xbox Series X also run the game in native 4K.
Ps5 it is. Thanks

kiphalfton

Nah

But seriously, the first game felt so empty.

Besides that it was a weird premise, since the graphics were decent but not good enough to figure out if somebody was lying. Even if they were photo realistic, even the best actor can't really capture lying convincingly.

VulcanRaven

And they either need to make it linear with some open areas for investigation, or fill the world with something interesting to do, cuz in LA Noir the entire map just serves to travel from poit A to point B.
I personally liked how big the world was. You could skip the driving parts but I never did. A sequel wouldn't be the same without it.

Is the remastered version worth buying and playing if I already own the original? This was one of my favorite PS3 games and the story behind original devs Team Bondi is somewhat interesting.

NewYork214

Going to pick this up. On sale for 20 atm on psn. Saw there is a psvr1 game. Would be cool if they updated for psvr2.

Hudo

I'd love a Mafia game where you start out as a police officer/detective getting assigned as undercover agent in one of the families and one of the gameplay mechanics is to keep the balance between helping to build the case and ratting the family out vs. "being" in the family. And the game changes when you slip "too much" to either side.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I just realized I bought the DLC for this but never played most of it on ps3. Gonna take a trip to cex and buy a cheap copy for €2.

Futaleufu

L.A. Noire goes against everything the modern AAA gaming industry has established the last 10 years. It'll never happen.

I'd love a Mafia game where you start out as a police officer/detective getting assigned as undercover agent in one of the families and one of the gameplay mechanics is to keep the balance between helping to build the case and ratting the family out vs. "being" in the family. And the game changes when you slip "too much" to either side.

200610245415_1.jpg

Perrott

Gold Member
What we actually needed to happen was Whore of the Orient, headed by the same visionary writer and director behind L.A. Noire and The Getaway: Brendan McNamara.

J2IOA4I.0.jpg

Big shame that the cowards over at Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment pulled the funding from the project.

Hudo

What we actually needed to happen was Whore of the Orient, headed by the same visionary writer and director behind L.A. Noire and The Getaway: Brendan McNamara.

J2IOA4I.0.jpg

Big shame that the cowards over at Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment pulled the funding from the project.
I remember hearing that McNamara wasn't the easiest to deal with so that could've contributed WB pulling the plug.

damidu

+1
the game had too much untapped potential for gameplay ideas in it, it’s crazy.
loved the overarching story as well.
too bad its never going to happen

Wildebeest

Team Bondi to rise again like a phoenix from the ashes to take their place alongside Quantic Dream as one of the game developers who want to make movies of all time.

Dunno, I did not like it that much. The open world was useless, the facials while unique and revolutionary, were most of the time weird and hilarious and I just hated that ending. It really pissed me off. The game was also a pos from a technical point of view.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I loved the setting and the story telling in the game but I thought the gameplay was just meh. 1930’s noir stories set in Los Angeles is a guilty pleasure of mine.

The gameplay in LA noire was weird in some places, mediocre in others and downright boring in other aspects.

I would definitely take a sequel but would have low faith that it would come together in a way that would be satisfying.

nemiroff

Gold Member
LA Noire was an interesting one.. Enjoyed parts of it, hated parts of it. Unfortunately in the end the bad parts won.

Top Bottom