• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

l4d3? (Source 2 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Oh god I thought this was an old thread.

Then I saw the OP.

sSNd3.gif

I am ready.

Mozendo

Weren't these already known?
Gabe already announced he was working on Source 2 when /v/ visited him, and Left 4 Dead 3 was a file name on one of the Valve computer's when some Dota 2 players (I think) visited their HQ.

MMaRsu

Banned
Weren't these already known?
Gabe already announced he was working on Source 2 when /v/ visited him, and Left 4 Dead 3 was a file name on one of the Valve computer's when some Dota 2 players (I think) visited their HQ.

We all knew about that. Nobody had seen Source 2 before.

Just to clarify the HL2 beta wasn't leaked internally as such by someone not staying quiet, some guy hacked their servers and downloaded it then released it onto torrent sites.

Yeah, I know the story. Some German hacker used an exploit through Windows Outlook Express to gain access into Valves internal network. I remember being one of those people trying to torrent the leaked beta back then. But I'm sure they are more cautious than ever about what information leaks out to the public.

w3bba

Yeah, I know the story. Some German hacker used an exploit through Windows Outlook Express to gain access into Valves internal network. I remember being one of those people trying to torrent the leaked beta back then. But I'm sure they are more cautious than ever about what information leaks out to the public.

Some russians actually made the code runnable in a sense and even sold it. Got a copy myself back then when I was there and its actually interesting to see all the Beta stuff

Newline

Oh, it's coming.

I reckon VR has given Valve a new angle at approaching HL3. It'll be the first major VR game release, built around that concept, I am sure. That way it'll be remembered, it'll impact the games industry as much or more than HL2, and it won't need a new game mechanic or way of including a narrative in a game to do it.

Mark my words.
Your words, they make me feel giddy. So giddy. You tease.

FirewalkR

Jeez, I've just done some catching up, seems like the thread was pretty busy at a certain point, given what was left after the cleansing and twitter.

This is a proper leak, and harmless for any companies involved, I'd say. Thanks CBOAT!

Jeez, I've just done some catching up, seems like the thread was pretty busy at a certain point, given what was left after the cleansing and twitter.

This is a proper leak, and harmless for any companies involved, I'd say. Thanks CBOAT!

If it's really from 2011 then it's already kind of old news and the anonymous uboat can stay relaxed...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Just to clarify the HL2 beta wasn't leaked internally as such by someone not staying quiet, some guy hacked their servers and downloaded it then released it onto torrent sites.

Yeah but the reason it was a major issue is that the beta leak basically revealed that the game was nowhere near finished and that most of the E3 stuff they'd shown was mocked up.

Yes, the screenshot is new, but the presentation is from 2011. Hence, it's not a no-more-secrets leak for Valve, but still some nice food for the community.

twisted89

Yeah but the reason it was a major issue is that the beta leak basically revealed that the game was nowhere near finished and that most of the E3 stuff they'd shown was mocked up.

I think you missed my point slightly. The original argument was that they are keeping quiet because of the HL2 leak but the fact is they were always quiet. The leak was not a consequence of them releasing anything or speaking when they shouldn't have.

Axass

I really don't care about Left for Dead 3, but Source 2 and the leak are significant for other reasons. It means that Valve is getting ready for its new generation of games. That freakin' HL3 announcement is getting closer.

BTW thanks to the mods for their work, it's greatly appreciated.

I really don't care about Left for Dead 3, but Source 2 and the leak are significant for other reasons. It means that Valve is getting ready for its new generation of games. That freakin' HL3 announcement is getting closer.

BTW thanks to the mods for their work, it's greatly appreciated.

Well, this ppt is from '11, so they've been getting ready for a while :p

I never understood why employees always tend to post company secrets on LinkedIn. And they always reveal them in the most nonchalant manner, like "oh btw, I did some animation work on The Last Guardian for 3 months."

It's never been a secret they've been working on Source 2 for the last few years. Gabe himself even told us. So I think this guy is A-OK having that on LinkedIn. He's an exception.

As for loads of other employees who have put up undisclosed information before, yeah, you're asking for your job to be taken from you. Why worth risk it.

Concept17

Source 2 has been at the top of my most-wanted list for a few years now.

L4D3 is my most anticipated game currently.

Valve. Give it to me, baby.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
For those more tech savvy than I, what kind of features do you suppose Source 2 will have? Will the primary focus be physics as with the original?

For those more tech savvy than I, what kind of features do you suppose Source 2 will have? Will the primary focus be physics as with the original?

I think the main focus for Valve will be updating the toolchain. From what I understand it's pretty bad and still has some legacy stuff from the Quake days. TheHollowNight can talk more about this. So I think this might be the thing that can be a real generational leap.

I'm not sure they're going to go crazy with physics. People are speculating destruction based on the pics, but I don't know.

Streaming is probably also guaranteed. No more load screens. I mean, come on. Would be embarrassing if otherwise, me thinks.

What I'm really looking forward to is seeing the animations. How much will they go toward motion capture, but still maintain their stylized, expressive nature. The ragdolls definitely need an update though.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Some crazy blog on livejournal is trying to say CBOAT is part of some conspiracy used to disparage Microsoft and Xbox, and he also might be Gabe Newell.

This is why we can't have nice things.

I think the main focus for Valve will be updating the toolchain. From what I understand it's pretty bad and still has some legacy stuff from the Quake days. TheHollowNight can talk more about this. So I think this might be the thing that can be a real generational leap.

THIS THIS THIS !

I really dont want anymore to apply rad vis and other tools to see what if i made will be in the game :(

Interfectum

Some crazy blog on livejournal is trying to say CBOAT is part of some conspiracy used to disparage Microsoft and Xbox, and he also might be Gabe Newell.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Yeah that xbox fanatic on twitter... kevin dent or whatever the hell keep retweeting about it.

Zia

Kevin Dent is a disgusting person. Please do not give him any more attention beyond this (see below) dotted line.

---------------------------

Anyway, Source 2 looks stunning. I'd love it if Valve ported all of their "platform" titles (TF2, Dota 2, CS: GO).

Man...Source engine 2, built with Occulus Rift/VR in mind....I feel like they've waited so long on HL3 because they know they need to blow people's minds the same way they did with HL1 and 2. I believe that Occulus Rift is that mind blowing component which will help them achieve this. HL3 HAS TO BE REAL. In the meantime, L4D3 sounds pretty damn great as well.

But how is HL going to work out as a seated experience? Wouldn't that break presence? If they engineer it 100% around VR then I can only imagine it as standing/walking experience like their SDD demo, which is not really feasible for home gaming, rather for something like arcades.

And I haven't even mentioned vehicles. This is HL, there's probably going to be a vehicular segment. Sounds problematic.

Had no idea this was a Cboat thread until just now. Someone linked that Schizophrenic's blog, MisterXmedia on r/xboxone. Don't know what the hell happened but apparently someone tried to out Cboat? Jesus, if a random Gaffer can potentially do that, I hope Cboat learns from this and covers his tracks better..

I'm not sure they're going to go crazy with physics. People are speculating destruction based on the pics, but I don't know.

Streaming is probably also guaranteed. No more load screens. I mean, come on. Would be embarrassing if otherwise, me thinks.

What I'm really looking forward to is seeing the animations. How much will they go toward motion capture, but still maintain their stylized, expressive nature. The ragdolls definitely need an update though.

Most definitely will be fixing the Art pipeline workflow. Compared to UDK/CryEngine or any other modern engine, it's embarrassing. Writing manual qc files you have to manually drag onto a batch file to compile a model is not something you should be doing in 2014.
It will likely use a similar Content browser like Unreal judging by the slides, where you can properly organize and filter assets & reimport them with a right click if the FBX has been modified. I'd be surprised if they still keep the vmt/vtf texture file system. it's all archaic to be honest.

Valve have progressively been moving into more heavily modeled environments with each new game. I'm sure they will keep the legacy brush editing tools they have (it really is the easiest to pick up). But they are bound to be mostly a model based engine like Unreal. This would require new streaming tech, since BSP visibility is mostly controlled by the designer in Hammer with areaportals and vis brushes. Streaming requires more precise and dynamic PVS system to cull meshes out of the players viewpoint whilst streaming in new stuff. So yeah, hopefully we'll get a load-free game!

A feature I'd personally love would be simultaneous real-time map editing. Currently you can break down maps into sub-maps called instances, meaning multiple people could work on portions of a map and update to a server without overwriting progress (pretty standard). Having asynchronous editing would be a dream, seeing people in the same 3D space building the world with you.

Also model instancing. Where you take one unique instance of a mesh & duplicate it as many times as you like without affecting the data or memory footprint, since it uses the original's. Pretty sure that's a DX10(?)/11 feature.

Model scaling. How in the hell has Source never supported this? bahhhhh.

Deferred Rendering. Probably a given since DOTA 2 has moved onto that. They will probably have some Global Illumination solution implemented to make up for the lack of baked lightmaps & radiosity/light-bouncing. Would be amazing if it was realtime GI, but no idea, to be honest.

Every feature DX11 allows. Volumetric lighting/shadowing, particle lighting/shadowing, real-time reflections, maybe Physically Based material system? Deferred and PBL go hand in hand. Along with DX11, it is highly likely to be supporting OpenGL 100% since that's been Valve's push with the Steam Machines/OS.

Editor UI to be customizable, window tabs & docking elements how you please. The 3D viewport will probably display lighting/effects in realtime, or at least, an approximation of what it will look like. (Curse you lighting preview!). Please be Ctrl+G to play.

Mostly likely has upgraded physics/destruction? Maybe on the scale that cinematic physics achieved, but dynamic (since those are actually animated simulations exported from a 3D program).

God I dunno haha, so many things in the engine I'd love and Valve have ignored in the past. I just hope they don't break the toolset as frequently as they did with Source & screwed over lots of mod teams.

All I'm sure of is some sort of backwards compatibility with Source to allow content migration to Source 2, much like they did with GoldSrc to Source.

Had no idea this was a Cboat thread until just now. Someone linked that Schizophrenic's blog, MisterXmedia on r/xboxone. Don't know what the hell happened but apparently someone tried to out Cboat? Jesus, if a random Gaffer can potentially do that, I hope Cboat learns from this and covers his tracks better..

Yeah it's starting to hit up twitter. Lots of people coming out of the woodworks believing misterx about cboat = ekim. It's funny to say the least

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Just to clarify this; one of our users noticed that CBOAT's image had metadata which he used to find the original source of the image. The original source of the image was another NeoGAF user's dropbox. This does not "prove" who CBOAT is, what it demonstrates is who sent the image to CBOAT--or who sent the image to someone who sent it to someone etc who sent it to CBOAT. Why on earth would someone PM himself an image he already had? This is not rocket science. In addition, the CBOAT account well predates my own time on GAF and also predates the identified user's account by a period of 7 years. It doesn't even add up on a basic level.

In addition, the blog claims that the user in question is a moderator. You are able to verify that information yourself. Check the forum staff page. Check the colour of the user's username. The user in question is not a moderator. Edit: Since I was asked followup here; The user in question was never a moderator, and I have no idea why people are claiming this. It's very easy to verify. Were they ever announced to be a moderator? Have they ever moderated a thread? Are these any cached versions of the forum staff page with them listed as a moderator? Has anyone who actually posts on GAF seen this user as a moderator? Like, think for a second.

We removed this post and posts quoting it because attempting to uncover users personal information is against the rules (as it is on reddit, so I have no idea why the Xbox One moderators on reddit are allowing it so far). We remove any post that tries to uncover any user's personal information except in rare cases to attempt to identify a user in the case of a suicide attempt or similar situation, and even then we remove the information afterwards in general. This is true regardless of which users are impacted and has nothing to do with CBOAT in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom