• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Weekly: Los Angeles Has a New High Rent Champion (MAP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

It seemed as if Westwood would be L.A.'s high-rent champ forever. But the latest Los Angeles Rent Report, compiled by the rental site Apartment List, has crowned a new leader: Venice.

Yep, the place once known by some locals as Debris by the Sea, the community where gang warfare was the norm in the 1990s, the neighborhood where homeless residents battle Hollywood elites for elbow room, is now the most expensive rental area in the city of Los Angeles, with a two-bedroom median of $5,200.

According to the report, which parsed the site's listings over the month of August, dethroned Westwood is now in second place with a two-bed median of $4,200. Marina del Rey ($3,640) is third; downtown ($3,250) is fourth; and Hollywood ($2,960) is fifth. See a map of the city's two-bedroom median rents below.

Across the region (including L.A. and Orange counties), Pasadena's two-bedroom median of $2,630 beat L.A.'s citywide median of $2,600 to make the City of Roses the most expensive rental city in Greater Los Angeles, Apartment List found. Irvine ($2,440), Glendale ($2,410) and Huntington Beach ($2,120) rounded out the top five, respectively.

"Pasadena is more expensive than Los Angeles for renters," said Apartment List data scientist Andrew Woo. "Pasadena rents are up 6.6 percent over the past year."

http://www.laweekly.com/news/los-angeles-has-a-new-high-rent-champion-map-7348107

los-angeles-rent-map-neighborhoods-august-2016.jpg

I was working in Venice last year and started looking for places nearby, nothing was less than $4k even near Venice's skid row.

So I remain 4 miles away where I can get 2br2ba and 2 gated spots for sub $2k. For now. I'm sure the gentrification will hit soon.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
How much is the average in Redondo? Last I checked my relatives who own a building there were charging $1,500 for big 2-bedrooms a couple streets from the beach with garages and rooftop decks. But apparently it costs more on average in some inland shitholes?

Born and raised in Venice. Parents still have their house I grew up in down there. Wonder what that property value is worth by now. The apt prices are ridiculous to me, because quite frankly its no where near as nice as the beach property a little south in places like manhatten and redondo.

Kayhan

South Los Angeles is much cheaper. And it looks like it is not that far from Venice.

Save you some money.

This is why I live in Valencia and take the train to Culver City for work every day. It's way too expensive to live in the city. My mortgage is like half that amount.

Tripon

South Los Angeles is much cheaper. And it looks like it is not that far from Venice.

Save you some money.

Because you will be shot in South Los Angeles. There's a reason it's still the cheapest part of L.A., because it's still the most dangerous part of the city.

J-Tier

Venice...really? I go to the Muscle Beach boardwalk all the time, but wouldn't figure the rent is that high up.

Zhengi

This is why I live in Valencia and take the train to Culver City for work every day. It's way too expensive to live in the city. My mortgage is like half that amount.

What train do you take? I currently work in Culver City and renting in Sherman Oaks, but saving up money for a place in Santa Clarita.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is Marina del Rey including the inflation from the Playa Vista development or are they counting that separately?

Just moved into a 1BR in Pasadena after living here for 6 years. Paying $1,350 for it. The last one bedroom I rented cost me $420/mo (back when I was in Indiana). I love my current place, but it's definitely a place that - barring some magnificent raise - I'll probably just rent for a year before moving somewhere that's more practically priced. For a 1BR in Pasadena that means $1150 on the very low end.

Lol, and I complain about paying $1415 for a two-bed one-bath apartment that isn't worth that value in Orange County down south.

Zeenbor

I lived in LA for 10 years. (Seattle now)

This map seems off. Like for people who don't know how to find a good deal.

I just recently lived across from The Grove for $1800 for a HUGE 2 bedroom + balcony.

I lived in Hollywood Hills 5 years ago, 2 bedrooms, $2000 - top floor, corner unit, overlooking Capital Records.

I'm not saying I'm the shit, but maybe this survey is not that great.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It'd be included in sure. But it's median price so it's not a gigantic effect.

The rate calculated is for unoccupied units (since they get the data from Apartment List, right?), so a large development being added to an area with an otherwise low vacancy rate will skew the median quite badly.

Edit: Playa Vista might be in Mar Vista rather than Marina Del Rey, I haven't driven by it in a while so I don't know exactly what border it's on

The rate calculated is for unoccupied units (since they get the data from Apartment List, right?), so a large development being added to an area with an otherwise low vacancy rate will skew the median quite badly.

Edit: Playa Vista might be in Mar Vista rather than Marina Del Rey, I haven't driven by it in a while so I don't know exactly what border it's on

Am I crazy or do I recall you living somewhere in Canada? You relocated or am I misremembering?

Kevtones

I pay $1625 for a huge one-bedroom in a beautiful building in Eagle Rock and lucked the fuck out. Even has an office.

Plus there's a bunch of new cool shit here.

Just moved into a 1BR in Pasadena after living here for 6 years. Paying $1,350 for it. The last one bedroom I rented cost me $420/mo (back when I was in Indiana). I love my current place, but it's definitely a place that - barring some magnificent raise - I'll probably just rent for a year before moving somewhere that's more practically priced. For a 1BR in Pasadena that means $1150 on the very low end.

Come hang in Eagle Rock!

I lived in LA for 10 years. (Seattle now)

This map seems off. Like for people who don't know how to find a good deal.

I just recently lived across from The Grove for $1800 for a HUGE 2 bedroom + balcony.

I lived in Hollywood Hills 5 years ago, 2 bedrooms, $2000 - top floor, corner unit, overlooking Capital Records.

I'm not saying I'm the shit, but maybe this survey is not that great.

Do you know how much this city has changed in just 5 years? Good luck in Hollywood with those prices.

ZeroX03

Banned
So uh, where's the best place to live if you want to be reasonably close to Franklin/Hollywood/Sunset without paying too much/getting shot?

It's because of all the tech companies moving in. Google bought a number of buildings on Hampton (where Gold's Gym is); meanwhile over in Playa you've got a bunch of other companies moving it. They're calling it Silicon Beach. Rental prices are jacking up because tech people gots cash.

The Argus

Born and raised in Westwood. Fairburn.. Can't believe the prices of homes even though I've been in NYC for ten years. Venice makes sense, it's quirky and hip. Westwood is where family's want quiet and shorter commutes. The home my rents bought for 300K is now valued at 2 million. Insane.

jabuseika

Man, you used to be able to rent in the Valley for $800-900, $2k now? Wtf!

I think my brother's place is still rent controlled for $1000 there, he'll never move at this rate.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Wow... I paid $1200 for a decent sized one bedroom WITH a separate studio space near Silver Lake. LA is expensive but that doesn't mean you can't find good deals.

If I want to rent an apartment at beach where is the best place?

West Side Rentals.

It's because of all the tech companies moving in. Google bought a number of buildings on Hampton (where Gold's Gym is); meanwhile over in Playa you've got a bunch of other companies moving it. They're calling it Silicon Beach. Rental prices are jacking up because tech people gots cash.

Google also bought space in Playa. And Snapchat bought up a ton of space in Venice as well. I was working for another startup in Venice and it was fun going to lunch and being able to pick out the Google employees (the nerdy white/asian/Indian guys usually wearing Stanford shit). The locals absolutely hate what Venice is becoming though.

I live about 2.5 miles from the epicenter of Playa where MS, Sony Santa Monica, Fox, Belkin etc are all located. My neighborhood is being gentrified at a pretty fast rate. A large number of duplexes have been demolished and replaced with $3k+ a month luxury condos. This is an area where it was $1200 a month for a 2 bedroom when I moved in 8 years ago.

Irnbru

Da fuq, I used to tell people to rent in Venice if they wanted a dirt cheap place near the beach and didn't mind all the weed and piss on the street, fuckin nuts!
I'm in Seattle now too, at least the dirty south is cheap here.

I don't know how far it really stretches, but where I live in Playa Vista is directly south of Marina Del Rey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom