• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Weekly: You Officially Have to Be Rich to Rent in L.A.

If you want to see liberal NIMBY policies in action that is actively hurting LA and California as a whole read about the Mar Vista road diet saga.

I look forward to people blaming foreign money, tech money, really rich people and not blaming shitty local "fuck you, got mine" racist liberal policies.
So much this. For instance just outside Washington D.C. a local group, the "friends" of the Capital Crescent Trail, have been fighting with every legal avenue to stop a new light rail transit line that would link the rich suburbs of Bethesda, Chevy Chase, and silver spring with poorer and cheaper (lower rent!) neighborhoods to the east/south. All the usual code words are being used such as "crime", "protecting the environment", etc. when it's really about keeping the poor people from being able to access areas with more jobs and opportunities.

The way to deal with these rent increases is very simple:

* build more houses and apartments by relaxing zoning and height restrictions
* build more affordable mass transit that reaches neighborhoods that are currently low rent

Then just sit back and let supply and demand take care of the prices.

So much this. For instance just outside Washington D.C. a local group, the "friends" of the Capital Crescent Trail, have been fighting with every legal avenue to stop a new light rail transit line that would link the rich suburbs of Bethesda, Chevy Chase, and silver spring with poorer and cheaper (lower rent!) neighborhoods to the east/south. All the usual code words are being used such as "crime", "protecting the evironment", etc.

The way to deal with these rent increases is very simple:

* build more houses and apartments by relaxing zoning and height restrictions
* build more affordable mass transit that reaches neighborhoods that are currently low rent

Then just sit back and let supply and demand take care of the prices.

Bonus points for 'protecting the character of the neighborhood'. That one is my favorite racist and classiest euphemism. It's usually liberals too that happily use it. Makes me want to slap them so hard.

fuzzyset

Hmmm....

I'm born and raised in LA...

Does a quick Craiglist search for two bedrooms in areas that would be considered "The Hood" or "Hood Adjacent"

This article lies.

I was watching House Hunters, and someone was looking for a place in "up and coming Inglewood".

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
When I moved to America I rented a nice 1000 square foot condo on burton way in Beverly Hills with a pool and sauna for about $1000 a month.

And then a two bed maisonette near labrea and wilshire for $900.

Then they invented the automobile.

Tagyhag

A new analysis from personal finance technology company SmartAsset concludes that it takes $109,543 in annual income to afford an "average" ($2,556 per month) two-bedroom apartment in the city of Los Angeles.

Yeah but then you'd live in the city.

Truth is, if you're not a single 21+ year old who loves the night life there's no real reason to rent in the city. It's a shit hole.

You get a place 30 minutes outside the city and you're looking at good neighborhoods with good prices (As far as California prices go).

It's stuff like this that keeps me living in Oklahoma despite how much I hate it. My cost of living would skyrocket if I moved. I really want to live in Seattle, but it's not gonna happen on my income anytime soon.

I pay $475 a month for a spacious one bedroom in a suburb of Oklahoma City. Just me and my dog, quiet neighborhood, low crime.

...I live in Oklahoma though. Feels bad. Some day I'll get to Seattle. :\

Gallbaro

Banned
It's stuff like this that keeps me living in Oklahoma despite how much I hate it. My cost of living would skyrocket if I moved. I really want to live in Seattle, but it's not gonna happen on my income anytime soon.

I pay $475 a month for a spacious one bedroom in a suburb of Oklahoma City. Just me and my dog, quiet neighborhood, low crime.

...I live in Oklahoma though. Feels bad. Some day I'll get to Seattle. :
Man, I went to UARK and loved Fayetteville. You don't have to be trapped in a suburb of Oklahoma City.

I am from NYC and a Dutch citizen. A lot of what your are feeling is grass in greener syndrome.

Besides west coast sucks.

Man, I went to UARK and loved Fayetteville. You don't have to be trapped in a suburb of Oklahoma City.

I am from NYC and a Dutch citizen. A lot of what your are feeling is grass in greener syndrome.

Besides LA sucks.
LA does suck. :p

You're right though, very much a grass is greener thing, but I've lived here my whole life. I wouldn't mind something new. I think I might move down to Austin or DallasFTW. I've tons of friends out there and the jump in rent is pretty small.

see5harp

Some of you actually think you graduate and instantly can afford an apartment in s.f. Or l.a. Are hilarious. I know attorneys in the city with 3 roommates.

Truth is, if you're not a single 21+ year old who loves the night life there's no real reason to rent in the city. It's a shit hole.

You get a place 30 minutes outside the city and you're looking at good neighborhoods with good prices (As far as California prices go).

Not in Los Angeles County.

Tagyhag

The suburb cities are becoming just as expensive as the city proper in Southern California.

You'd have to go to Santa Clarita or Palmdale to see significantly cheaper rents right now.

Ah, unfortunately they are increasing (Doesn't help that we still don't have enough cranes to boost building speed) but they are still cheaper.

For example, you can get a cheaper place in Studio City than somewhere like Koreatown.

I was watching House Hunters, and someone was looking for a place in "up and coming Inglewood".

those words bother me so much. it makes me feel like literal dirt. saying up and coming implies that the people who have lived there are nothing, and only now that other people are moving in is it worth something

I wonder what will break this camel's back though. Things have to change and it will have to happen soon. I think the tides are finally turning with the rise of local YIMBY groups and the passages of several pro-growth propositions in the last five years. I think all or most of them passed, and the NIMBY ones all ended up in failure spectacularly.

All of us here in LA need to follow the Seattle example.

rudger

This is sad to hear. I remember when my friend moved from New York to LA. He was so fucking excited at what he could afford! He got an unnecessarily large 1 bedroom, but hey, it was still a good 30% cheaper than what he paid in New York.

Socivol

I'm trying to find a decently priced 2 bedroom in Chicago and even with a max budget of 1900 a month there isn't much out there.

The 2 bedroom stat is derived from families with kids.
Maybe it's my privilege showing but 55k salary (assuming two people in the household are working) in an urban area doesn't seem "rich".

Didn't realize that the median income in LA was that low (28k) until reading further in that article though.

Toa TAK

Banned
It definitely eats up my pay. I'm constantly getting urged to move out of the area or even to AZ. But damn, I've got a great hub to go anywhere and both work and school are 10 mins away. Same with Downtown LA (if I speed).

Highland Park here.

leroidys

Nope. On Tokyo it is cheap and easy to build new bedrooms. The Japanese government controls zoning, not the local municipalities. Housing is affordable in Tokyo despite increasing population.

I knew what your response was going to be, but surely we can agree that it's a combination of factors. Notable to me would seem to be

Zoning (Agree with you here)
Infrastructure (esp. transportation infrastructure)
Depressed wages and wage growth
Deflation and expectation of future deflation
Tolerance of much smaller living spaces (avg. Tokyo home is ~50% smaller than even the largest US metropolises)
History of the enormous property bubble bursting and government regulations make it less attractive to foreign investors (though foreign investment has been on the rise in recent years)
etc....

Massicot

For a two bedroom in a large city, I would assume two incomes. Two ~75k incomes (and once you get to 5+ on the list, 50k) in the most expensive cities in the US doesn't seem like a crazy thing. Am I missing something?

Obviously for someone like me that can currently afford a two bedroom on my own in a much less expensive place would move to a single bedroom if I were to move to the coasts.

Gallbaro

Banned
I knew what your response was going to be, but surely we can agree that it's a combination of factors. Notable to me would seem to be

Zoning (Agree with you here)
Infrastructure (esp. transportation infrastructure)
Depressed wages and wage growth
Deflation and expectation of future deflation
Tolerance of much smaller living spaces (avg. Tokyo home is ~50% smaller than even the largest US metropolises)
History of the enormous property bubble bursting and government regulations make it less attractive to foreign investors (though foreign investment has been on the rise in recent years)
etc....

Depressed wages and wage growth - Would you not agree that is the current US environment?
Deflation - The US is not exactly a runaway inflation freight train. "Expected" changes in currency valuation are usually away "priced" in, macro theory states un-expected is the concern.
Property bubble - Didn't we just have one of these?
Household size - this is actually, typically, a zoning issue.

Edit: Forgot to mention there was a spike in NYC homeless when. SROs were made illegal (Single Room Occupancies).

Yeah... I live in a small one bed and it cost close to that in New York metropolitan area.
Cheap rent in the city? Better get half a pack of roommates and live far away from city center.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Haha, no. I'm not single and well over 21 and would not live anywhere outside the city of LA itself. Once you leave the city proper you might as well just move to any suburb in the country.

El_Chino

San Diego should also be on that list.

I'm paying more than I care to say for an average apartment.

I miss the south and it's cheap rent.

theWB27

Meanwhile in Indianapolis moms had a 3story... live in basement...3 other bedrooms...2300 square foot home for 725 a month. 10 minutes from downtown

leroidys

Depressed wages and wage growth - Would you not agree that is the current US environment?

Edit: Forgot to mention there was a spike in NYC homeless when. SROs were made illegal (Single Room Occupancies).

No, average wages are way up in most of the US cities that are experiencing these housing price explosions.
Our inflation is still above Japan's.
Our property bubble was not as severe as the one experience in Japan (this was probably my weakest argument anyway though, so whatever).

Anyway, you can't just cancel out variables here like it's an algebra problem and think that it proves your point that it's solely zoning laws leading to this run up of prices. You would need to actually control for each variable to make that case.

Gallbaro

Banned
No, average wages are way up in most of the US cities that are experiencing these housing price explosions.
Our inflation is still above Japan's.
Our property bubble was not as severe as the one experience in Japan (this was probably my weakest argument anyway though, so whatever).

Anyway, you can't just cancel out variables here like it's a math problem and think that it proves your point that it's solely zoning laws leading to this run up of prices. You would need to actually control for each variable to make that case.
Not arguing it is solely because of zoning laws, even shit like what legal system we operate under has an effect. I am arguing that an accepted means of increasing housing availability and lowering housing costs is to create more housing, local zoning laws being the largest determining factor preventing an increase in supply.

Top Bottom