• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Weekly: You Officially Have to Be Rich to Rent in L.A.

messiaen

The suburb cities are becoming just as expensive as the city proper in Southern California.

You'd have to go to Santa Clarita or Palmdale to see significantly cheaper rents right now.

Not really the case in SCV. I was in Santa Clarita my first two years in LA--it's really no different in price compared to the rest of the city. I was paying around $2400 for a two bedroom both years. Canyon Country is cheaper, but I don't even know if people consider that apart of LA metro.

shira

tN42cOQ.png

http://www.laweekly.com/news/it-takes-more-than-100000-in-income-to-rent-in-los-angeles-8417805

Can I make in seattle on 1200$ a month ?
dizzy.gif

in 80 years it will cost nothing, since it will all be uninhabitable current rate of global warming shit gonna be underwater...

Tagyhag

Haha, no. I'm not single and well over 21 and would not live anywhere outside the city of LA itself. Once you leave the city proper you might as well just move to any suburb in the country.

What do you mean? There's a huge difference between somewhere like Rancho Cucamonga and Burbank.

I mean, you might miss the constant smell of shit and piss of the city and seeing homeless everywhere but you can always take a quick trip back.

The Argus

I hate how cheap Philly is vs NYC to rent. I saw a new Gayborhood 1.5 bedroom apt to rent for 1600. I figured it was 1.6 million to buy and it still seemed stupid cheap. Then I realized it meant 1600 a month. I own a co-op in Jackson Heights Queens and I'm still paying more a month with mortgage and maintenance. And that Philly place had a washer dryer, dishwasher, while still being a walk away from my company's Philly office.

The Llama

Daily reminder to move to Philly. My mortgage is under $1600 a month for a new construction 3BR/3BA condo in a good neighborhood.

leroidys

Not arguing it is solely because of zoning laws, even shit like what legal system we operate under has an effect. I am arguing that an accepted means of increasing housing availability and lowering housing costs is to create more housing, local zoning laws being the largest determining factor preventing an increase in supply.
We're pretty much in agreement then. I'm just fascinated by how Tokyo basically hasn't seen a rent increase in a decade. Wish I knew more about this stuff.

royalan

I was watching House Hunters, and someone was looking for a place in "up and coming Inglewood".

Nah man.....

Nah...

I haven't lived there in years but I came up in Inglewood.

Inglewood was already great.

I mean, location-wise it was only a matter of time.

But fuck....

Stay out of Inglewood. ;__;

MrMephistoX

If you want to see liberal NIMBY policies in action that is actively hurting LA and California as a whole read about the Mar Vista road diet saga.

NIMBY bullshit is infuriating to me as a first time buyer: I have no problem with urban sprawl like the OC when the alternative is families living in fucking hotels only to be bitched about by NIMBY elites wanting to force even that out. I literally had to #firstworld problems buy a fucking townhouse for a ridiculous amount of money just to get into a good school district when literally there are bigger single family houses with twice the square footage a block down the street albeit in shittily rated schools. NextDoor the app epitomizes this mindset. Rich elites on both sides of the political spectrum lack humanity.

But the jobs in California are just so much more interesting to me and plentiful otherwise I'd move back to Portland.

This is a major reason why I'm moving out to the Coachella Valley, probably Palm Springs proper. You can find a bunch of nice 1br apartments in the 8 and 900s. I have family in Palm Desert so I'm there every weekend, and I'm used to the heat. I prefer the pace of those towns. People aren't always in a rush, there's practically zero traffic, and there are palm trees everywhere. I've lived in Los Angeles my entire life. I've really grown to dislike this city.

109k only comfortably middle class?

Jesus christ look at what people actually earn.

I think I'd put the bar for "rich" at about $250,000 in most of the country. In rural areas in flyover states where a 4-bedroom house is like $800/month, though, yeah I'd say $109k might be approaching rich.

Anyway, [humblebrag] I'm glad I lucked out with my apartment in LA. I nabbed a 3BD/2BA for $2,175/mo about 4 years ago, and the rent hasn't been raised since. Had no idea that was actually lower than the current average for a 2BD.[/humblebrag]

Cagey

Banned
109k only comfortably middle class?

Jesus christ look at what people actually earn.
Look at what people who earn these incomes do!

I find some have a bad habit of boosting the socioeconomic standing of working class people by proclaiming them the middle class and then readjusting the middle class into upper-middle and upper-middle into upper/rich.

109k in the United States is nowhere near approaching anything resembling "rich". The painfully average suburban high school assistant principal is not rich. Your average nurse practitioner in the tri-state area is not a stone's throw and some extra overtime from being rich.

Reeks

Sorry, wasn't familiar with the prices to other areas, just know that DTLA is really expensive.

Over half? I don't mean to sound rude but, is that a necessity? That's a lot of your income. Like, couldn't you find other viable, cheaper options?

I'm a graduate student, so until I get some letters after my name, no way I can make more money. My rent is 1300 a month for a one bedroom with a/c and all new appliances. It's a actually a steal (grad student housing is 1400/month). I'm too old and crotchety to have a roommate. It's shitty for now, but I really do love LA.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I dunno about LA, but you definitely do not need to make 6 figures to rent in NYC. Maybe if you're only talking about Manhattan.

faisal233

I dunno about LA, but you definitely do not need to make 6 figures to rent in NYC. Maybe if you're only talking about Manhattan.

Even in Manhattan, this is BS.

Spending 30% of 164K is 4100 a month, just looking at street easy shows you this is a lie. 4100 will get you a 2 bedroom, elevator, doorman apartment in UES. There is plenty of 2 br cheaper.

Keri

109k is middle class. In some places upper middle class – but it doesn’t approach providing a ‘rich’ lifestyle.

Yeah. I earn more than that and I'm still paying off student loans and renting (in an expensive market where a small condo is $500,000+). I think to classify as "rich," you need to have both those covered already, at the least.

blitz64

So this means everyone in LA is rich!!!
Everyone is either renting or buying which makes every one rich.

Only the homeless and living with parents are the poor.

simplayer

109k in the United States is nowhere near approaching anything resembling "rich". The painfully average suburban high school assistant principal is not rich. Your average nurse practitioner in the tri-state area is not a stone's throw and some extra overtime from being rich.

Median household income is around 56K. So 109K is nearly double what the median household makes. That’s pretty close to being out of the middle class by any income based definition of middle class. (Of course regional differences, yatta yatta yatta)

Kevtones

I'm from South East LA, currently living in the cultural dearth known as the
(SF) South Bay. :/

Ah, a little north of Gardena then? Ever try Waleeto's Pizza? Crust is fantastic.

Anyway, rent is still damn good around there and pretty great considering typical NELA. I'm in Eagle Rock and it's relaxed/collegiate and full of a bunch of writers/artists. Great food is a walk away.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
West L.A. sure but theres pockets around L.A. county and east of it where you can find affordable housing..

Cagey

Banned
Median household income is around 56K. So 109K is nearly double what the median household makes. That’s pretty close to being out of the middle class by any income based definition of middle class. (Of course regional differences, yatta yatta yatta)
The middle class isn't the median income. Classes are a pyramid.

Gallbaro

Banned
I'm married and live in one of those big cities.

My wife wants children and I've gone into drunk stupors murming to myself alone in dive bars.

Get a vasectomy and enjoy trying! It's your body.

NIMBY bullshit is infuriating to me as a first time buyer: I have no problem with urban sprawl like the OC when the alternative is families living in fucking hotels only to be bitched about by NIMBY elites wanting to force even that out. I literally had to #firstworld problems buy a fucking townhouse for a ridiculous amount of money just to get into a good school district when literally there are bigger single family houses with twice the square footage a block down the street albeit in shittily rated schools. NextDoor the app epitomizes this mindset. Rich elites on both sides of the political spectrum lack humanity.

But the jobs in California are just so much more interesting to me and plentiful otherwise I'd move back to Portland.

Yes, but if you already owned your economic interest would be aligned with those NIMBYs.

So at 2.5k a month what would that get you in LA for instance? Area, bedrooms, size etc?

I mean are you balling or in a rough neighbourhood?

It's pretty crazy here, I don't know how people do it with families.

My wife and I were renting a 2 bedroom for $3,185 in Hollywood with two roommates living in the other room. 4 of us total in about 1,000 square feet.

It definitely eats up my pay. I'm constantly getting urged to move out of the area or even to AZ. But damn, I've got a great hub to go anywhere and both work and school are 10 mins away. Same with Downtown LA (if I speed).

Highland Park here.

If you can find a decent job in Phoenix and you can go somewhere for the summer, it's totally doable. I pay 900 a month for a one bedroom in central Phoenix, but I'm stuck here in summer and it SUCKS

I was paying $2300/month for a 3 bed/ 2 bath place in Arcadia, CA in 2010.

Took me over a decade to save enough for the 20% down to get my first home. Yeah... It's expensive in LA.

For the people saying it's more expensive elsewhere, yes, that's true. But incomes in LA are terrible. The median household income is still under $60K annually.

Socivol

I guess I should have specified there are apartments out there that are shitty or small in the price range. t needs to be off the red line. We currently have a one bedroom that's 840 sq ft and a TON of 2 beds we see are even smaller than that. The whole point of moving is for more space. A lot of outdated shitty apartments or ones that are way overpriced for the neighborhood and that max price needs to include parking as well. I think having a car is what is fucking us over. We have seen some decent places but when you add parking it's over 1900. I wish we didn't have a car it would be much easier.

Top Bottom