• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Weekly: You Officially Have to Be Rich to Rent in L.A.

trembli0s

NIMBY bullshit is infuriating to me as a first time buyer: I have no problem with urban sprawl like the OC when the alternative is families living in fucking hotels only to be bitched about by NIMBY elites wanting to force even that out. I literally had to #firstworld problems buy a fucking townhouse for a ridiculous amount of money just to get into a good school district when literally there are bigger single family houses with twice the square footage a block down the street albeit in shittily rated schools. NextDoor the app epitomizes this mindset. Rich elites on both sides of the political spectrum lack humanity.

But the jobs in California are just so much more interesting to me and plentiful otherwise I'd move back to Portland.

The NIMBYism could really bite California's economy in the ass if the legislature doesn't take serious steps to fix the zoning laws and introduce affordable housing.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/...017/07/19/california-wakes-housing-cataclysm/

A full-fledged housing crisis has gripped California, marked by a severe lack of affordable homes and apartments for middle-class families. The median cost of a home here is now a staggering $500,000, twice the national cost. Homelessness is surging across the state.

The state also has the highest poverty rate in the country.

Top Bottom