• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Weekly: You Officially Have to Be Rich to Rent in L.A.

Tripon

veryone has their own definition of rich. Living in an average, two-bedroom apartment in Los Angeles probably doesn't figure in anyone's approximation of contemporary wealth. Yet technically speaking, those who can afford such accommodation are wealthy.

A new analysis from personal finance technology company SmartAsset concludes that it takes $109,543 in annual income to afford an "average" ($2,556 per month) two-bedroom apartment in the city of Los Angeles. The housing data was culled from RentCafe. That kind of household income would place renters in the top 20 percent of earners nationally.

"Los Angeles is one of those areas that require high income," says A.J. Smith, SmartAssets vice president of financial education. She wants prospective Angelenos to ask themselves, "Are you getting enough income to support rent?"

The report assumes that folks should spend 30 percent or less of their income on housing. That's the federal threshold for being "cost-burdened," with that slice of income being "the amount of income that a family could spend and still have enough left over for other nondiscretionary spending," according to the U.S. Census Bureau. "Many big cities require surprisingly large incomes to stay under that percentage," a SmartAsset spokeswoman said via email.

"Los Angeles renters are extremely burdened and are having a difficult time making ends meet," says Larry Gross, executive director for the Coalition for Economic Survival. "Because of rents, people are forced to double up and triple up with roommates."

tN42cOQ.png

http://www.laweekly.com/news/it-takes-more-than-100000-in-income-to-rent-in-los-angeles-8417805

shwimpy

A new analysis from personal finance technology company SmartAsset concludes that it takes $109,543 in annual income to afford an "average" ($2,556 per month) two-bedroom apartment in the city of Los Angeles.
Which equates to $9128.58/month. WTF are people spending $6500 (pretax) a month on?

Ashhong

Extremely misleading as the high cost of DTLA most likely. There's plenty of 2 bedrooms that cost around $2,000 in LA

edit: I guess the 2500 average isn't too far off. But yea, $110,000 income is a bit much lol

Gallbaro

Banned
I look forward to people blaming foreign money, tech money, really rich people and not blaming shitty local "fuck you, got mine" racist liberal policies.

Reeks

Extremely misleading as the high cost of DTLA most likely. There's plenty of 2 bedrooms that cost around $2,000 in LA

edit: I guess the 2500 average isn't too far off. But yea, $110,000 income is a bit much lol

Not just downtown... Santa Monica (anywhere near the beach, really). WeHo is expensive these days, too. Not to mention Beverly Hills, Westwood and Brentwood...

Edit: Over half of my income goes right to rent. That's probably where the discrepancy is.

royalan

Hmmm....

I'm born and raised in LA...

Does a quick Craiglist search for two bedrooms in areas that would be considered "The Hood" or "Hood Adjacent"

This article lies.

Ashhong

Not just downtown... Santa Monica (anywhere near the beach, really). WeHo is expensive these days, too. Not to mention Beverly Hills, Westwood and Brentwood...

Edit: Over half of my income goes right to rent. That's probably where the discrepancy is.

Sorry, wasn't familiar with the prices to other areas, just know that DTLA is really expensive.

Over half? I don't mean to sound rude but, is that a necessity? That's a lot of your income. Like, couldn't you find other viable, cheaper options?

Most people in big cities don't live in "average 2 bedroom apartments".They live in shitty closets and spend as little time at home as possible.

h1nch

$109k household income, right? Or do people who live alone routinely rent places with 2 bedrooms?

I'm single and prefer to rent 2 bedroom apartments. I WFH a lot so I need enough space for a home office. I'd be OK with a 1 bedroom if it has enough sq ft and enough space for an office setup, but for the most part 1br apartments are too small for me. Anything under 1200 sq ft feels like a jail cell to me.

StarVigil

How does that even work? What about graduates? Do you start out with a 100k salary to be able to work in these cities or is it simply a matter of living far enough from the city that rent is affordable?

erawsd

Yeah, I'm certain the overwhelming majority are also not abiding by the "28%" rule when it comes to income vs rent. Its likely much closer to 50% or more.

KingV

Which equates to $9128.58/month. WTF are people spending $6500 (pretax) a month on?

After taxes, that's probably more like $6K/month. If you're putting 6-7% in an IRA and pay for health insurance for a family, maybe between $5500 and $6K

You add some car loans, student loans, and credit card payments, all of a sudden it doesn't seem like that much with a $2500 rent bill.

It's still good money after all that, but you're not going to feel rich.

Ashhong

How does that even work? What about graduates? Do you start out with a 100k salary to be able to work in these cities or is it simply a matter of living far enough from the city that rent is affordable?

Nobody is forcing a new graduate to live in fancy apartments in the heart of the city. There are plenty of areas within LA that are nowhere near that much. They aren't far at all. Also, roommates or get a 1 bedroom.

After taxes, that's probably more like $6K/month. If you're putting 6-7% in an IRA and pay for health insurance for a family, maybe between $5500 and $6K

You add some car loans, student loans, and credit card payments, all of a sudden it doesn't seem like that much with a $2500 rent bill.

It's still good money after all that, but you're not going to feel rich.

I wonder, for comparison, how much the average house payment is around the LA area. All the homeowners I know pay at least $2,000.

Slayven

I wonder how long Atlanta stays like that, they are doing big things.

But then again they actually build out. Just that people shucking driving making commutes hell

CHC

Stupid assumptions to begin with:

That people in modern urban centers are only spending 30% of their income on rent.

That people living alone opt for 2 bedroom apartments.

No doubt it's an expensive city, but you can make all kinds of claims when you start off assuming the wrong things.

Gallbaro

Banned
Stupid assumptions to begin with:

That people in modern urban centers are only spending 30% of their income on rent.

That people living alone opt for 2 bedroom apartments.

No doubt it's an expensive city, but you can make all kinds of claims when you start off assuming the wrong things.
Once again the assumption is family with kids.
I wonder how long Atlanta stays like that, they are doing big things.

But then again they actually build out. Just that people shucking driving making commutes hell

Atlanta builds up, out and in-between. No real government limit on density.

Viewt

People group up. Aside from a single year of living alone, I had roommates until I was 26 (at which point, my now-fiancée moved in) - it's just a fact of life if you're living in a bigger city - in my case, Chicago. So while most people I know don't make $96K+ a year here, they're able to get by with 1-2 roommates.

Also, I'm assuming this article is only looking at expensive, trendy areas. Most people in Chicago don't make anywhere near $96K and lots of people get by just fine - they just do it in a neighborhood that isn't as glitzy (or as close to a train line). That's the case in most large cities.

Tripon

Nobody is forcing a new graduate to live in fancy apartments in the heart of the city. There are plenty of areas within LA that are nowhere near that much. They aren't far at all. Also, roommates or get a 1 bedroom.

I wonder, for comparison, how much the average house payment is around the LA area. All the homeowners I know pay at least $2,000.

I'm living in Reseda, I have a roommate, and the real issue is the value of what you're renting. My rent just increased so I'm looking to move. That's the issue, like I can afford a 1BR, or an increase in rent, but there's a lot of people who can't afford it, especially when the apartment is rundown, and hasn't been fixed forever because they're living under a scumlord as an apartment owner. Nobody is saying we're living in the heart of Downtown L.A, but even the fringes like the San Fernando Valley are getting expensive.

There is still good deals out there. But am I willing to live somewhere that forces me to take the 405 freeway as my primary route. FUCK NO.

Kremzeek

it's especially frustrating/disheartening when you're spending $2,200+ for rent and the place is a dump. old appliances, limited upgrades, junky carpet & tile, popcorn ceilings, crappy square footage, etc.

Gallbaro

Banned
I am surprised that NYC is more expensive than LA. There are tons of highrise apartment buildings in NYC.
Vast swaths of NYC and the surrounding suburbs are drastically under developed (look at those racist assholes preserving the village). LA metro is actually denser than NYC metro. The denser the metro, the cheaper housing typically is. Tokyo is pretty cheap for example.

This saddens me as I've wanted to try living in LA for a few years now.

Maybe I'll just save up for a two or three week vacation there instead.

ezrarh

My Boston (Somerville) two bedroom is $2350...Open for suggestions for cheaper cities!

You're welcome to move to cities near the Great Lakes - they're not that bad if you make average income. Unless you're in one of the high paying sectors, most people would have a better quality of life in cities like Cincinnati, Buffalo, Detroit, Pittsburgh if you can find income out there.

I think using the 30% rule for housing is outdated - especially for cities. It's not just housing obviously, transportation plays a huge factor into the minimum cost to function. You could theoretically pay less out of pocket if you could ditch your car and live close to work as an example. Although I'm not suggesting LA housing costs aren't ridiculous.

simplayer

I don't think the list is comprehensive. San Jose metro should be up there.

It's just the top 15 MSAs in the US.

As they say in the article, 15 places take more than $100K in household income to meet their affordability criteria, 10 of which are in coastal California.

Kevtones

Los Angeles Resident here. I pay $1687 for a large 1.5 bedroom and consider it a steal. It's a beautiful building with great features in a great area. I live alone and should be considered lucky.

Unless there are some unforeseen career thingscoming, I will be making slightly above the income mentioned in the OP. I'm also considering moving in with my GF this fall so that may change things though I don't think we could afford a house here yet ($750k range). Highland Park/Eagle Rock area.

Top Bottom