• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady yells at man after he claims his name is "Hugh Mungus".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat4all

Banned
that's quite a hugh mungus you got there

allow me to quote myself from the H3H3 thread:

I think there's a chance he was gonna use the name Hugh Mungus as a set up to a joke, but he never got to tell the joke because she got offended instantly.

Or the more likely scenario is he didn't want to give his real name as she was going around yelling at people for their names, shoving the camera in their faces, and he just came up with Hugh Mungus on the spot.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Lady is insane. Video is cringe steroids.

Disappointed in h3h3 for acting like this is typical of people who are for social justice.

I googled her for some reason and I looked at her linkedin page.
The example name on the search bar next to her profile is Jeff Weiner. I laughed.
Sorry.

Woman mad at man for innocuous dad joke=sexual harassment? I feel like that goes beyond bias and into paranoia territory.

And I'll bet you that you're going to find a whole bunch of posts where I affirm that what she experienced was sexual harassment, and not simply a single post replying to someone who asked whether it was reasonable to interpret the joke as sexual.

Honestly, it feels like people are legitimately getting heated at you if you're not on extreme ends of a debate sometimes.

Mik2121

This person (the woman) got some serious problems. What's with people these days feeling like anything and everything is an assault. Some of this stuff is ridiculous.

So fucking weird when people are so desperate to be harassed that they'll take any little thing and blow it up.

Also this thread taught me that a man looking down is automatically looking at his penis. Good to know.

So fucking weird when people are so desperate to be harassed that they'll take any little thing and blow it up.

Also this thread taught me that a man looking down is automatically looking at his penis. Good to know.

I'm reminded of the overwatch thread about Tracers pose when people were saying she was looking at her ass to draw attention to it. We need someone in here to draw some lines so we really know what hes looking at.

Did you just look down you little shit? That's where your dick is. You knew that, didn't you, trying to get my eyes to follow your eyes to see your dick in your pants.

Did you just look down you little shit? That's where your dick is. You knew that, didn't you, trying to get my eyes to follow your eyes to see your dick in your pants.

When I got to "You knew that, didn't you," I thought that your mock version of this woman was intimating that she knew that he knew where his penis was.

danthefan

This person (the woman) got some serious problems. What's with people these days feeling like anything and everything is an assault. Some of this stuff is ridiculous.

I don't get how people like her get any joy from life at all, she just can't wait to get offended. I wonder how she'll react when she faces some real adversity in her life.

Well there's definitely a pattern with certain social activists that act like bullies while pretending to be all for equality and fairness. I don't get why anyone would behave like this, there's nothing to gain.

In a lot of cases, it just can feel good to feel like you're "fighting the good fight," even if you are not. It's unfortunate that these people inform certain people's views of social justice, but at the same time a lot of people who are "informed" are people who had preconceptions of said concept and those who partake in it.

what if his penis was just an arrow pointing back up to the man saying 'HughMungus'?

That's when shit gets real.

In fact, what happens is that while she is distracted, he actually switched out with another man whose legal name is Hugh Mungus.

RawNuts

She may have more mental instability issues and we're only seeing a symptom of that. While it's fine to point and laugh at what most of us would simply consider an embarrassing meltdown that we would move past, she genuinely doesn't see it as just an embarrassing muck-up and her next confrontation over something so insignificant could turn violent. She had time to reflect on this incident between the recording and the posting of the video to Facebook, which means she is not ashamed of this outburst.

I just think that it's important to not lump this in with, "those zany SJWs just doing what they do" and realize that this is more likely mental illness; anything could drive her obsession, but it just happens to be social justice topics in this case.

Hopefully she eventually gets the help she clearly needs and that people around her aren't just shrugging these episodes off or encouraging this behavior (which, judging from those Facebook comments, seems to be exactly what is happening and that’s dangerous).

She may have more mental instability issues and we're only seeing a symptom of that. While it's fine to point and laugh at what most of us would simply consider an embarrassing meltdown that we would move past, she genuinely doesn't see it as just an embarrassing muck-up and her next confrontation over something so insignificant could turn violent. She had time to reflect on this incident between the recording and the posting of the video to Facebook, which means she is not ashamed of this outburst.

I just think that it's important to not lump this in with, "those zany SJWs just doing what they do" and realize that this is more likely mental illness; anything could drive her obsession, but it just happens to be social justice topics in this case.

Hopefully she eventually gets the help she clearly needs and that people around her aren't just shrugging these episodes off or encouraging this behavior (which, judging from those Facebook comments, seems to be exactly what is happening and that’s dangerous).

Why can't it be possible that she's just an asshole? Why must she be mentally unwell?

DaveMG

Banned
Heres a question Isn't the very definition of harassment something that is repeated? Even if he said "suck my dick" and walked off its vulgar and inappropriate but is that sexual harassment?

Either way the only people being harassed in the video was Hugh and the Security guard

Is this woman some sort of self-fashioned journalist? She should interview an actual victim of sexual harassment and compare stories.

"My boss said my career would be easier for me if I had sex with him."

"Oh man, you got off easy. I had a guy tell me his name was Hugh Mungus."

I feel bad for the guy who stood up for, he probably didn't see what happened and thought he was doing a good thing. I'd feel like a Hugh Jass if I tried to aid something crying rape and it turned out to be this.

KRod-57

Banned
I'm not really seeing a mentally ill person when I see this video, maybe some psychological issues, but nothing to the point of mental illness

I also see there are people who support her on facebook (likely friends and family) and at least one other person in the video found it outrageous that the man suggested that his name was "Hugh Mungus". So I do think it is one of those things that many people (not just crazy people) would consider sexual harassment, although her reaction was over the top to the point that I might believe there are some psychological issues

The thing that concerns me is the internet backlash, I don't think this person is capable of dealing with the kind of backlash that she will likely see from this..

Aselith

Heres a question Isn't the very definition of harassment something that is repeated? Even if he said "suck my dick" and walked off its vulgar and inappropriate but is that sexual harassment?

Either way the only people being harassed in the video was Hugh and the Security guard

And she accuses the security guard of harassing her at the end too lmao

I mean, noting this extreme and singular instance of someone behaving in a particularly boisterous way is all fun and games but i don't see anything to this that's actually applicable outside of this one instance of this woman having a fight with this man.

Terrifyer

Banned
There's no joke in looking down at the floor, or at your stomach, and saying "It's Hugh Mungus".

Him looking down at the floor isn't part of the joke. He's just trying to get out of there and avoid eye contact.

Edit: Actually nvm I watched it again and I guess he isn't. I still think that's a pretty big stretch...

kavanf1

The thing that concerns me is the internet backlash, I don't think this person is capable of dealing with the kind of backlash that she will likely see from this..

I know myself that I wouldn't deal well with a major internet backlash against me. I try to avoid this by not doing idiotic stuff that would cause a major internet backlash against me. It works pretty well, maybe she could try that.

RawNuts

Why can't it be possible that she's just an asshole? Why must she be mentally unwell?
I typically think the distinction is that an asshole knows that they're being an asshole, but they just don't care. The problem with her is that she earnestly believes that she is fighting the good fight and will likely shut out all attempts at reason.

When she found out that her video was making the rounds on the internet and that people were mocking her for it, her first thought probably wasn't "well, this is embarrasing" but rather "the whole world is against me and I need to fight back." That would be a dangerous predisposition to have.

I typically think the distinction is that an asshole knows that they're being an asshole, but they just don't care. The problem with her is that she earnestly believes that she is fighting the good fight and will likely shut out all attempts at reason.

When she found out that her video was making the rounds on the internet and that people were mocking her for it, her first thought probably wasn't "well, this is embarrasing" but rather "the whole world is against me and I need to fight back." That would be a dangerous predisposition to have.

People can be an asshole and not know it until you tell them they're being an asshole.

Diabelli

Lack of self awareness isn't a mental disorder.

It's fine to say "oh she's just unwell."

But why are there a number of comments where people agree that she was harassed on the original post? Are they just unwell too?

deli2000

I mean, noting this extreme and singular instance of someone behaving in a particularly boisterous way is all fun and games but I don't see anything to this that's actually applicable outside of this one instance of this woman having a fight with this man.

Thankfully not many people in this thread are doing this so far. But videos like these are bound to be used to disparage social justice movements in general. It sucks because individuals like these deserve to be taken to task for things like this, but a significant part of the internet are going to use this to go on a 'anti-sjw' crusade.

RawNuts

But why are there a number of comments where people agree that she was harassed on the original post? Are they just unwell too?
I think there is a tendency to perhaps not even bother to watch the video and simply show support for someone on your Facebook friends list. Anecdotal, but I see it happen a lot on my extended relatives' Facebook pages, who do terrible things to people and have trouble with the law far too often, but will always receive unmitigated showings of support in their skewed Facebook postings on the matters.

I think there is a tendency to perhaps not even bother to watch the video and simply show support for someone on your Facebook friends list. Anecdotal, but I see it happen a lot on my extended relatives' Facebook pages, who do terrible things to people and have trouble with the law far too often, but will always receive unmitigated showings of support in their skewed Facebook postings on the matters.
So they're typical social media using assholes who don't bother to verify before they spew shit out of their keyboard.

Terrifyer

Banned
So they're typical social media using assholes who don't bother to verify before they spew shit out of their keyboard.

I think it's more complicated that. People generally want to show support for friends/loved ones. It would be hard to comment on a post like that from a friend or family member to tell them they're wrong.

RawNuts

Thankfully not many people in this thread are doing this so far. But videos like these are bound to be used to disparage social justice movements in general. It sucks because individuals like these deserve to be taken to task for things like this, but a significant part of the internet are going to use this to go on a 'anti-sjw' crusade.
Relevant!
20130407.gif

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
It's fine to say "oh she's just unwell."

If you read the fb post she thinks the cops are going to come to her home and assassinate her over this. That is some paranoid fantasist level unstable you've got going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom