• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lair New Screens

Marconelly said:
Not if you want to play them in 1080p :lol

But much like on PC, you don't need me to tell you the performance gains you get from running a game in 1280x1204 vs. running it in 1920x1600.

That is all of course *IF* Lair renders in 1080p natively, if they are not using some software scaler to scale the game from 720p to 1080p.
Ummm it's really not that much....

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
MickeyKnox said:
Ummm it's really not that much....
I've seen some games with pretty big gains, it depends from game to game, and also from GPU. If you have dual 8800 setup I'm sure gains won't be that big in most of todays games, but PS3 doesn't exactly have that kind of GPU power to throw around.

1080p is more than 2x the number of pixels to render compared to 720p, depending on the level of AA they want to use, that can be a huge difference.

Wollan said:
L.A.I.R is running absolutely 100% natively in 1080p without cheating. They were very specific about that in the 1up Show.
I remember that, but these 1080p screens in this thread, are not native 1080p. They could be just artificially scaled by IGN or whoever, though

Wollan

Marconelly said:
I remember that, but these 1080p screens in this thread, are not native 1080p. They could be just artificially scaled by IGN or whoever, though

Oh yeah, someone messed with the screens in this thread.

Anyway, regarding performance gain by lowering resolution. 1900 x 1080 to 1280 x 720 is very significant.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Well, if it's locked at 30fps at 1080p without any slowdown, going to 720p would probably not gain you too much benefit other than the fact that my TV only supports 720p at this point. :)

Aside from Lair and GT, what other games on PS3 run at 1080p?

Wollan

Some more info taken from E-mpire.com forums (thanks to VH Aficionado & Frosty):

Apparently there is a mag preview somewhere saying that the game also has jungle levels as well as levels with up to 10 000 soldiers fighting it out (the TGS/Gamersday/CES demo having 3000). Also, the 7.1 is 'lossless' at the quality of 24 bit 96 khz.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
chespace said:
Well, if it's locked at 30fps at 1080p without any slowdown, going to 720p would probably not gain you too much benefit other than the fact that my TV only supports 720p at this point. :)

Tekken 5: DR if I'm not mistaken.

Wollan

chespace said:

Ridge Racer 7 and Virtua Tennis 3 and some basket game runs in 1080p @ 60fps.

Then we are back to the same old problem again in that we don't know shite about Sony's upcoming games in general. I guess you can bank on the fact that ND's Bermuda Triangle game and future Insomniac games will be 1080p among many other 1st party games. Also MGS4 apparantly (Kojima said '1080').

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well, if it's locked at 30fps at 1080p without any slowdown, going to 720p would probably not gain you too much benefit other than the fact that my TV only supports 720p at this point.
That is true. However, I think in case of that not happening, there's a pretty solid chance of game running smoother in 720.

chespace said:
RR7 (at 60FPS), Virtua Tennis 3 (I dunno FPS), NBA2K7, I'm sure there's more, this is just on top of my head.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Wollan said:
Is that the case? Wouldn't the X360 just scale it down from 720p?
No it wouldn't (at the very least you're talking 16:9->4:3 conversion, and there's SDTV issues to take care of as well).
480 has to be manually supported either way, and choosing native 480 has obvious performance benefits.

chespace

Hypothetical question -- which would you guys rather have -- games with better textures or higher resolutions?

Anyway, my PS3 is finally arriving with Resistance this week. Now I'm going to have 4 consoles in my entertainment center... can't get rid of my PS2. :p

chespace said:
Hypothetical question -- which would you guys rather have -- games with better textures or higher resolutions?

Anyway, my PS3 is finally arriving with Resistance this week. Now I'm going to have 4 consoles in my entertainment center... can't get rid of my PS2. :p
I'll take both.
Seriously, I demand some real 1080p love.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
chespace said:
You can't have both -- better textures or higher res?
lol what do you mean you cannot have both? It depends on the game, LOD management, etc. There are 1080p games with pretty good textures.

chespace

Bad_Boy said:
lol what do you mean you cannot have both? It depends on the game, LOD management, etc. There are 1080p games with pretty good textures.

Bah, it's a hypothetical. I'm just trying to discern which of these features people value more, and/or consider more important nextgen (or this gen, whatever).

Wollan

chespace said:
You can't have both -- better textures or higher res?

I seriously doubt L.A.I.R has worse textures because it is in 1080p than it would potentially had if it was running at 720p max. (if it has textures optimal for 1080p I don't know but '720p quality' ones, yes I'm sure it has it. The game has really impressive surfaces I think.)

If you're referring to the X360 using less OS space in memory that difference is really not that big (X360 uses 32MB, PS3 uses 64MB(or even less from what I've heard)). But if you factor in the PS3 having a standard HDD and most future games (at least exclusive games) taking use of that..

chespace said:
Bah, it's a hypothetical. I'm just trying to discern which of these features people value more, and/or consider more important nextgen (or this gen, whatever).
That is exactly the kind of attitude that leads to disappointment with "next gen visuals"
Choosing either or should be the kind of mentality people get well into a generation's life time once we've seen what the systems can do.
I mean if we start aiming low from the start, where do we end up.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
chespace said:
What if I told you both were important to me equally? ;)
720p is fine imo, but I wouldnt mind a higher resolution.
Lair's textures are fine imo, but I wouldnt mind them higher.

chespace said:
It's a non question really, both aim to achieve the same end. people want a good looking game so the true answer is always whatever it takes.

Wollan

Some more info from a mag here (a bit of a repetition from what I said earlier):

- They now have levels with 10 000 soldiers in them.
- Levels (all outdoors) vary from Wastelands to Jungles to Icefields.
- Levels may take 4GB of storage space each (obviously streaming as you go along)
- The game won't have multiplayer but will have online leaderboards and achievements as well as other community stuff.
- The game will support downloadable content, what the fans ask for they will get. Specifically mentions dragon breeding minigame as an example in this regard.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I would take better resolution or better framerate in 720p over those two things being worse in 1080p any day. Then again I don't have a 1080p TV, but even if I had it I doubt I would think any different. Basically, if a game can look exactly like developers wanted, and run smoothly in 1080p - great. If it can't, it's resolution drop time before anything else.

As for 1080p game support on PS3, I just remembered that Sony's NBA game also runs in 1080 (and solid 60FPS too I think), also several PSN games.

To be honest, I think the 1080p TV owners got more than most reasonable people expected from PS3 this early in the game. RR7, GTHD and both NBA games all look pretty damn good, and 3 out of those 4 run at a pretty much perfect 60FPS to boot.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Wollan said:
Some more info from a mag here (a bit of a repetition from what I said earlier):

- Levels may take 4GB of storage space each (obviously streaming as you go along)
- The game won't have multiplayer but will have online leaderboards and achievements as well as other community stuff.
- The game will support downloadable content, what the fans ask for they will get. Specifically mentions dragon breeding minigame as an example in this regard.
Thanks Wollan. Glad they got more variety in the areas planned.

KGKK

Banned
Wollan said:

Nice:)

Wollan

So do you think a Dragon breeding game could be one of their PSN titles? Would be cool if it tied into the L.A.I.R universe.

theBishop

Banned
Wollan said:

hmm... too bad about multiplayer, that could start a whole new genre since the goal is to "influence" the battle with your dragon. Its like an RTS without any real management.

On the other hand, the lock-on targeting would be a bit bland for mp.

Good to hear that there will be variety in the scenarios.

I REALLY hope this game has the story/fiction to back up the gameplay.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
chespace said:
That's actually pretty cool. So games with slowdown running at 1080p could potentially have that sorted out just with the flick of a switch?

I read a PS3 dev say that turning a game from 720p to 1080p is just a flip of a switch. Now your framerate might drop, but it is a flip of a switch.

mckmas8808

chespace said:

Are we talking between 720p vs. 1080p or 720p vs. 480p?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
chespace said:
Answering your question...

I would drop resolution to in a heart beat. Resolution is important to me...but only up to a point. I'd rather see higher resolution textures and faster framerates at 720p.

In fact, I'd rather see a whole lot of AA and AF over 1080p. Genji II, for instance, is a 720p game...but uses so much AA and AF that it often gives the impression of being "realtime CG". It's just amazing how clear and clean the game is. GTHD would look so much better with similar image quality rather than 1080p as even on a 1080p display, the image quality is a tad jagged.

720p is the lowest I'll go, though. Well, I don't mind minor resolution drops provided it is scaled (ala PGR3), but that's the limit. 480p is just too low.

dark10x said:

I would drop resolution to in a heart beat. Resolution is important to me...but only up to a point. I'd rather see higher resolution textures and faster framerates at 720p.

In fact, I'd rather see a whole lot of AA and AF over 1080p. Genji II, for instance, is a 720p game...but uses so much AA and AF that it often gives the impression of being "realtime CG". It's just amazing how clear and clean the game is. GTHD would look so much better with similar image quality rather than 1080p as even on a 1080p display, the image quality is a tad jagged.

720p is the lowest I'll go, though. Well, I don't mind minor resolution drops provided it is scaled (ala PGR3), but that's the limit. 480p is just too low.

lair has very good textures though in parts...the huge dragon for instance looks amazing...the lighting and effects often seemed to muddy everything though

peace

mckmas8808

dark10x said:

I agree with Dark10x.

Mojovonio

Banned
Wollan said:

- Levels (all outdoors) vary from Wastelands to Jungles to Icefields. (thank you jesus!)
(sooooo, no 360 port?)

(nice)

commented

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Glad to hear there's some variety to the environments. As much as I hope the game turns out well for the dragonriding action alone, the barren wastelands of the area shown would get tedious after awhile.

It's also encouraging that what had been shown of the game earlier was just the tip of the iceberg. Between the new Behemoths shown and the confirmation of other environments its apparent that they've barely begun to really show the game.

mckmas8808

kaching said:
Glad to hear there's some variety to the environments. As much as I hope the game turns out well for the dragonriding action alone, the barren wastelands of the area shown would get tedious after awhile.

It's also encouraging that what had been shown of the game earlier was just the tip of the iceberg. Between the new Behemoths shown and the confirmation of other environments its apparent that they've barely begun to really show the game.

This is the part that I like the best. I'm hoping for big things come March or April.

Busty

Banned
Mojovonio said:
So the game is going to have its own online community? That's pretty awesome.

I really like the idea that though this game doesn't strictly feature online multiplayer gaming they still keep the online aspect going with a community.

I wonder if LAIR will, perhaps in time, evolve into a similar concept to Sony's plans for Gran Turismo? More of an online service that an isolated game. It would be really interested if one of the PSN games that Factor 5 are working on is that dragon breeding game that was alluded too.

This may seem like a strange question, but when they refer to the 'on foot' portion of this game, do they mean the rider/dragon still working as one but on the ground, or are they referring to the rider possibly getting off the dragon entirely and chopping people in half with this sword?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Busty said:
This may seem like a strange question, but when they refer to the 'on foot' portion of this game, do they mean the rider/dragon still working as one but on the ground, or are they referring to the rider possibly getting off the dragon entirely and chopping people in half with this sword?

One of the vidoes released shows the rider on the ground getting on a nearby dragon so I guess he can get off it too. No idea if he can fight tho.

Wollan said:

sounds cool! Can't wait for more media

theBishop

Banned
TTP said:
One of the vidoes released shows the rider on the ground getting on a nearby dragon so I guess he can get off it too. No idea if he can fight tho.

Hmm, if the "influence the battle" mechanic is the primary gameplay element, then hopefully you dismount in order to interact with the battle in some way. I'm thinking specifically about lowering/raising bridges, manning "turrets" (more likely catapults or the like), and transporting troops/weapons.

krypt0nian said:
A gameplay video would be VERY welcome at this point. :)

especially of the new boss, it seems likely the fps wont any lower as the other level had thousands of troops...plus despite some problems team ico some how managed to pull off SOTC

peace

- They now have levels with 10 000 soldiers in them. hype + 50 points
- Levels (all outdoors) vary from Wastelands to Jungles to Icefields. hype + 75 points
- Levels may take 4GB of storage space each (obviously streaming as you go along) ....no feelings
- The game won't have multiplayer but will have online leaderboards and achievements as well as other community stuff. hype - 100 points
- The game will support downloadable content, what the fans ask for they will get. Specifically mentions dragon breeding minigame as an example in this regard. hype + 20 points

So, my hype is still well over 100 points, but the "no multiplayer" part was a cold shower, I really wanted to own dragons with my friends, Monster Hunter style.

Top Bottom