• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lair New Screens

Ynos Yrros said:
-

So, my hype is still well over 100 points, but the "no multiplayer" part was a cold shower, I really wanted to own dragons with my friends, Monster Hunter style.
Patience my friend, patience. Monster Hunter 3 is on the way and when it gets here me and my friend may die from pure joy.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
BruceLeeRoy said:
Dang Doom_Bringer has done a complete 180 on this game.

You should be surprised. You must have missed that (2 different people = Doom_Bringer) thread.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Dang Doom_Bringer has done a complete 180 on this game.

lairscreen18lg2qs.jpg

I am loving the boss monsters. But this game still needs a lot of work (based on the TGS demo). I am cautiously optimistic about it.

WE will see what happens.

McFly

Ynos Yrros said:
- They now have levels with 10 000 soldiers in them. hype + 50 points
- Levels (all outdoors) vary from Wastelands to Jungles to Icefields. hype + 75 points
- Levels may take 4GB of storage space each (obviously streaming as you go along) ....no feelings
- The game won't have multiplayer but will have online leaderboards and achievements as well as other community stuff. hype - 100 points
- The game will support downloadable content, what the fans ask for they will get. Specifically mentions dragon breeding minigame as an example in this regard. hype + 20 points

So, my hype is still well over 100 points, but the "no multiplayer" part was a cold shower, I really wanted to own dragons with my friends, Monster Hunter style.

50 + 75 + 0 - 100 + 20 = well over 100? :lol :lol :lol

Fredi

the graphics look good, but I don`t like the Art Direction, the downloadable trailer turned me off... I will wait for downloadable demo

Dunpeal

Banned
A look at those....and i get 0 response from me.

Neither do i like them neither i dislike them. Its what i call a very meh level of appeal.

Kittonwy

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
That big mofo seems to have a rider. It looks like some harness is attached to the lower tusks to control that beast.

I wonder if we have to find the rider and take him out... or will there be more than one rider on that beast? :p

McFly said:
50 + 75 + 0 - 100 + 20 = well over 100? :lol :lol :lol

Fredi
You forgot about initial hype. Fact that it's a "DRAGON owning pplz and other dragons, to change the tide of battle" type of game gives it over 100 points, that's enough for me to buy it, since it's actually some new genre. Then you have the sixaxis controls, that's at least 75 points, and then you have mindblowing graphics, another 100 points, and then you get the memo, that we actually know nothing about this game yet, so that's another 200 hype points.

There you have it, if 100 points is the "buy it" border, then Lair has enough points to make it a killer app. Just wait until SONY starts pimping it.

Wollan

Notice in that video that if the dragon gets to close to an edge in flight, the corresponding wing will flap backwards to avoid collision (the most visible example in the video is when he leaps from the bridge edge).

kenta

Has no PEINS
Wollan said:
- The game won't have multiplayer but will have online leaderboards and achievements as well as other community stuff.
- The game will support downloadable content, what the fans ask for they will get. Specifically mentions dragon breeding minigame as an example in this regard.
Dag nabbit, online battles would have sealed the deal instantly.

However, let us all take them up on their word and begin demanding an online component! What we ask for we will get! Start the chanting for online!

kenta said:
Dag nabbit, online battles would have sealed the deal instantly.

However, let us all take them up on their word and begin demanding an online component! What we ask for we will get! Start the chanting for online!
But it depends on what they could and could not do.

I've got a concept that seems pretty doable:
- multiplayer component wouldn't be connected with sp component
- you'd breach your own dragon
- there are up to 8 player matches, deathmatch, team deathmatch
- maps are way smaller than in sp, like 1 x 1 or 2 on 2 miles, so the matches would be fast and furious
- after matches you get money, for which you buy new sits, armors, whatever
- another type of game would be fighting giant mofo, 2 players

And that's it. Ranked and unranked matches. What do you guys think?

Steroyd

Doom_Bringer said:

Wait a darn minute I've been looking at that bottom pic for five minutes... please don't tell me that puny miniscule thing to the right is your average LAIR dragon. O_O

Wollan

kenta said:
Start the chanting for online!

I liked the idea that someone else had in this thread in having a multiplayer in that it's a 'unmanaged' rts game in that your actions influence the overall outcome (like the game is now basically) but in multiplayer that being an even more intense game of 'rope pulling'. If they managed that with the sequel with 4 or more players, maybe a small rpg element like putting points into a skill three with kills/actions gaining xp, that would have been excellent. Of course, the gameplay would have to be more tailored to this kind of thing to make multiplayer exciting like for example maybe having a black-smoke kauf that blind enemies or a gut-slash move that functions like a DOT and several small skills like that (with points invested in them making each dragon different and each player specialized, speaking of that, they should of course have different dragon breeds and so forth). So besides the rpg element, the gameplay would consist of destroy/hampering enemy troops in any way possible (environment should be key) while fighting off other players.

LairSP.jpg

Not inspired by any other game whatsoever :p

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Steroyd said:
Wait a darn minute I've been looking at that bottom pic for five minutes... please don't tell me that puny miniscule thing to the right is your average LAIR dragon. O_O

Yeah I did the samething as you. :lol I was like, "damn our dragon looks different. WTF did F5 do to the dragon design.....OH WHAT THE **** is that small thing our dragon?!?!?"

And look at how small the guy riding on the back of the dragon looks to the sea monster.

Mojovonio

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Yeah I did the samething as you. :lol I was like, "damn our dragon looks different. WTF did F5 do to the dragon design.....OH WHAT THE **** is that small thing our dragon?!?!?"

And look at how small the guy riding on the back of the dragon looks to the sea monster.

Is that thing confirmed to be an actual Sea Monster? Just because there's water in the BG, doesn't mean it originates from it...

Busty

Banned
Mojovonio said:
Is that thing confirmed to be an actual Sea Monster? Just because there's water in the BG, doesn't mean it originates from it...

Perhaps it's a Chinese dragon, IIRC they don't have wings or bodies but are more snake like in appearance, could open the game up a little having more Asian influenced dragons. Perhaps even suggesting different cultures and lands at war....hmmm, interesting.

... personally I hope it's a sea monster

:D

Mojovonio

Banned
Busty said:
Perhaps it's a Chinese dragon, IIRC they don't have wings or bodies but are more snake like in appearance, could open the game up a little having more Asian influenced dragons. Perhaps even suggesting different cultures and lands at war....hmmm, interesting.

i'd much prefer that than to a sea monster. Those "hidden monster that pops up" boss battles are sooo lame.

Kittonwy

Banned
Busty said:

Dragons in a chinese sense are just glorified snakes (phoenix is a chicken essentially). I wonder if this is just one of the many heads of the monster or if there is only one head.
gladtomeetya.gif

Mojovonio

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Dragons in a chinese sense are just glorified snakes (phoenix is a chicken essentially). I wonder if this is just one of the many heads of the monster or if there is only one head.
gladtomeetya.gif

that's true......

hmmmm

Zaptruder

Banned
Kittonwy said:
gladtomeetya.gif

glorified chicken and snakes?

Dude, wtf is wrong with you? :p

Busty

Banned
Kittonwy said:
gladtomeetya.gif

You mean that's potentially just the tip of the iceberg!!! Man alive, imagine what we've still to see!!!!

Oh and Kittonwy, why you got to be so down on Chinese dragons.... glorified snakes... leave the Chinese dragons alone.......

.....:D

Kittonwy

Banned
Zaptruder said:
Makes it even worse because you're a full on red! (politically)

If red you mean conservative (like a red state), then yes.
Indifferent2.gif

That said, aren't mythical dragons really just giant snakes and lizards? I wonder if the game will have dragons without wings (earth dragons, water dragons, etc).

Top Bottom