• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lakers get permission to interview Luke Walton for coach | UPDATE: Walton hired

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...grant-lakers-permission-interview-luke-walton

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Golden State Warriors have granted permission to the Los Angeles Lakers to interview Warriors assistant coach Luke Walton for their coaching vacancy.

Newly minted NBA Coach of the Year Steve Kerr revealed before Wednesday night's Game 5 at home in Golden State's first-round series with Houston that the Lakers will be able to meet with Walton as soon as a break in the Warriors' schedule arises.

"We told Mitch that he's perfectly welcome to talk to Luke as soon as the series is over and we have a little break," Kerr said of Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak.

NBA coaching sources say Walton, after spending eight-plus seasons as a player with the Lakers, is a prime target for L.A. in its search to replace Byron Scott, who was fired Sunday night after posting a 38-126 record over the past two seasons.

Yet sources stressed to ESPN.com that San Antonio Spurs assistant coach Ettore Messina -- who had a decorated coaching career in Europe before serving as a Lakers consultant in 2011-12 -- is also getting very strong consideration.
Messina is not only a known quantity to Lakers officials but has spent the past two seasons alongside Hall of Fame-bound Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

The Lakers, sources say, are seeking a coach who can not only change their on-court fortunes and connect with their many young players but also help their free-agent recruiting efforts. Team officials, however, have made it clear that they are not prepared to grant full personnel control to whomever they hire, which is a policy that applied in L.A. even when Phil Jackson was on the bench winning five of his 11 championship rings as a coach.

The Lakers, sources say, also plan to interview former Cleveland Cavaliers coach David Blatt and have strong interest in UConn coach Kevin Ollie
, who grew up a Laker fan in Southern California and has strong relationships from his playing days with stars known to interest L.A. in free agency this summer and beyond, such as Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.

Kupchak, who is widely believed to be heading L.A.'s search‎, is a known admirer of North Carolina's Roy Williams and Michigan State's Tom Izzo from the college ranks, though neither is thought to be looking for a move to the NBA at this point in their respective careers.

NBA coaching sources say that the Lakers also have interest in ESPN's Jeff Van Gundy -- who is known to be at or near the top of the Houston Rockets' wish list -- as well as ESPN's Doug Collins.

UPDATE: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15430821/los-angeles-lakers-agree-deal-luke-walton-new-head-coach

The Los Angeles Lakers have agreed with Luke Walton to be their new head coach, the team announced Friday night.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/160429_lukewalton

EL SEGUNDO – Earlier today, the Los Angeles Lakers and Luke Walton reached an agreement on a multi-year contract for Walton to become the next Head Coach of the team, it was announced by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. Walton will begin his new duties at the conclusion of the Golden State Warriors season.

"We're excited to bring Luke back to Los Angeles, where we feel he's going to start an outstanding coaching career," said Kupchak. "He's one of the brightest young coaching minds in the game and we feel fortunate that he'll be leading the on-court future of our team."

Walton, 36, will be the 26th head coach in franchise history, and the 22nd in the Los Angeles era.

Walton is currently in his second season as an Assistant Coach with the Warriors. Earlier this season, he posted a 39-4 record as interim head coach in Steve Kerr's absence, including a 24-0 start, the best start in NBA history.

Walton enjoyed a 10-year NBA playing career (2003-13), averaging 4.7 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 564 regular season games with the Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers. Originally selected with the 32nd overall pick in the 2003 NBA Draft, he was a member of championship teams with the Lakers in 2009 and 2010.

After his playing career, Walton served as a player development coach for the Los Angeles D-Fenders in the 2013-14 season. He also served as an assistant coach at the University of Memphis during the 2011 NBA lockout.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You mean they're not gonna hire Derek Fisher?

pONFWsS.gif

Mumford

I'm really excited for them to finally hire their first good coach since Phil, the last few years have been tortorous. Between Luke, Messina, and Ollie, I'd be amazed if the Lakers somehow mess this up again. They really have to nail it this time.

Maddocks

Stay Luke, you had an established team to get all the wins, this is a young team and you will be fired in 2 years here. Bring on Kevin Ollie, rebuilding team, rebuilding coach.

Supposedly Walton and Messina are the top 2 guys on the Lakers' wishlist. A good sign that they aren't just looking to hire a tired old retread and instead might get someone that understands the modern NBA and how to develop the young core around that. I was deathly afraid that the next Laker head coach would be some bum like Scotty Brooks.

Supposedly Walton and Messina are the top 2 guys on the Lakers' wishlist. A good sign that they aren't just looking to hire a tired old retread and instead might get someone that understands the modern NBA and how to develop the young core around that. I was deathly afraid that the next Laker head coach would be some bum like Scotty Brooks.

Yeah the names involved in the lakers interviews are inspiring me hope they know what they're doing. Glad Wittman, Brown, Del Negro, and Fisher weren't involved.

Sandfox

I'd be cool with Luke, Messina, or Blatt. All of those guys have skills that I think would work well with the Lakers.

Probably a nice project for Luke, Lakers aint making the playoffs for another 4-5 seasons

there's already a decent core of players, tons of cap space to play with. IF the Lakers luck out and keep their pick, and get a good coach, there's no reason to think they can't get to the playoffs sooner. Half the damn league makes the playoffs it's not like it's some monumental accomplishment.

overcast

Some decent pieces, I think it's a decent test for Luke but he deserves a shot. Can't be any worse than the lakers past few coaches.

As a rockets fan.. Please leave Van Gundy to us. I want him back :[

Maddocks

Now that he is signed, hope they didn't give him the same speech they gave scott, but scott did coach himself out of a job.

Just hope Luke is good, but lets be honest, anyone would have got a 10-20 game start with that Warriors team, they are a proven team still hungry and high off winning a title. This is a young Laker team that is with luck and some money going to actually keep their pick this draft. But I hope he has success, because the Lakers need it.

smurfx

get some go again
what's with former lakers bench players becoming coaches? phil jackson has had a ton of influence i guess.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Lol Warriors fans saying he'd never leave.
Lakers came knocking, and he accepted within 48 hours.

Knicks must be feeling pretty friend-zoned right now.

I have to admit, I am surprised he left GSW. He had it pretty cushy there and is young enough he could have waited a year or two to see if Kerr would retire early. That said, I'm glad we got him. More than anything, I'm optimistic that the front office took a pretty progressive approach to this hire.

Magilla

Banned
I mean that seems like a hard ass decision. I'm sure the money was top notch, but at the same time depending on how the rebuild goes you might get your shit pushed it. It's a storied franchise, or you can stick with the warriors and "hope" Kerr retires and gifts you ring(s).

sixghost

I have to admit, I am surprised he left GSW. He had it pretty cushy there and is young enough he could have waited a year or two to see if Kerr would retire early. That said, I'm glad we got him. More than anything, I'm optimistic that the front office took a pretty progressive approach to this hire.

Is Kerr's health that bad? I thought he just started coaching a few years ago.

The Beard

He won this year with a championship team and the best player in the league, with Kerr's system already in place. People acting like he's a great coach are crazy. He's completely unproven.

We finally did something coaching related since Phil that wasn't completely stupid. I'm happy.

He won this year with a championship team and the best player in the league, with Kerr's system already in place. People acting like he's a great coach are crazy. He's completely unproven.

The players in that system speak very highly of him. The Warriors bench is loaded with vet coaches and the genius front office tapped him to be the interim guy to fill in for Kerr. Of course he's unproven, he's 36 years old and this will be his first full time coaching position. Not sure why "unproven" became a flaw some how.

numble

He is more of a known quantity to the Lakers as he was a player-assistant coach for the Lakers in the 2009-2010 season.

Ninjimbo

It's weird that Luke got a head coaching gig that quickly. Hopefully it works out. I'm not an LA fan but I like the NBA a lot more when the Lakers are good.

TTG

The players in that system speak very highly of him. The Warriors bench is loaded with vet coaches and the genius front office tapped him to be the interim guy to fill in for Kerr. Of course he's unproven, he's 36 years old and this will be his first full time coaching position. Not sure why "unproven" became a flaw some how.

It was like that one time they started Ian Clark, didn't want to break up the rhythm on the bench.

You never want to root for someone to lose their job, but I was really hoping the Pelicans would fire Alvin Gentry after the trainwreck of a season they had. Figured he would have been a perfect assistant to put on the bench next to Luke. Curious to see who Luke puts on his staff. Mark Madsen and Luke on the Lakers coaching staff? Who would have believed it 10 years ago?

numble

You never want to root for someone to lose their job, but I was really hoping the Pelicans would fire Alvin Gentry after the trainwreck of a season they had. Figured he would have been a perfect assistant to put on the bench next to Luke. Curious to see who Luke puts on his staff. Mark Madsen and Luke on the Lakers coaching staff? Who would have believed it 10 years ago?
For some reason, Richard Jefferson comes to mind.

theWB27

I like this hire. Luke will understand he's got a core that's young as hell and won't expect them to preform like 5 year vets the way Scott did. Scott would've done nothing but stifle growth again.

As a long time laker fan I hope this pans out.

Oh and hit Drummond like he's the next coming in free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom