• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light |OT| - Play This GOTY Contender

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Salaadin said:
Is it pretty easy to get into this co-op with a friend on Ps3? Do they allow password protected rooms and such?

Private rooms. Passworded, no.

Yoshiya

Spwn said:
Weird that the Kane & Lynch pack was released in the US PSN, but not in the EU. What gives?
Damn. I was hoping to get back into the game this morning, with some new dialogue to keep it fresh. DLC releases for this game have been incredibly inconsistent; it seems luck of the draw determines which random grab bag of packs and patches you end up with.

So, any impressions of Pack 3? I'd have to top up my PSN wallet, so unless it's a lot more substantial than 2 I'll pass.

bozeman

Can anybody give me a tip on how to drop down and hang on to the ledge. I'm at the end of the Spider Temple and know what to do, but every time I try to drop down and hang I just fall off the bridge.

PS3..I know I'm supposed to press circle, but she just falls.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
You're trying to hold on to the bridge as the rolling spikes come at you? Don't go to the sides of the bridge, just run back to the retracted end. It's automated.

bozeman

Lyphen said:
You're trying to hold on to the bridge as the rolling spikes come at you? Don't go to the sides of the bridge, just run back to the retracted end. It's automated.

Yeah, I was going to the end of the bridge. I finally just decided to press a random button and finally got it when pressing the grapple hook button, but you're right it was probably just automated and I was falling because I was pressing circle to do a drop down.

duckroll

This game has basically the most fucked up release format ever. It's amateur, unprofessional, annoying, and downright insulting to fans. Let's look at how fucked up it is so far:

- LCGoL is released on XBLA only, without the advertised online co-op mode

- LCGoL is released on PSN and Steam, without the advertised online co-op mode.

- XBLA gets online co-op patch and a complimentary DLC Pack 1

- PSN gets online co-op patch but not DLC

- PSN finally gets a complimentary DLC Pack 2

- DLC Pack 1 is not available on PSN, DLC Pack 2 is not available on XBLA, Steam has no DLC or online co-op

- Steam finally gets the online co-op patch, no DLC

- DLC Pack 1 is released on PSN for $3.49

- Steam finally gets a complimentary DLC Pack 2, even after Eidos reps implied each platform would be getting a different DLC Pack

- DLC Pack 3 ($3.49) and Costume Pack 1 (Free) are released on PSN, dispite Eidos engaging the community and asking for a vote on which Costume Pack they should release first (Pack 2 won overwhelmingly)

- DLC Pack 3 is released on XBLA for 400 MS Points, making it almost 2 bucks more than the PSN pack, despite the wait

- To date DLC Pack 2 is still unavailable on XBLA, DLC Pack 1 and 3 are unavailable on Steam, and only PSN has the first Character Pack

(Note that days or weeks past between in of the above entries)

WHAT A CLUSTERFUCK. :(

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, though the online was the worst because it killed any potential community the game could have had. Most people bought it, beat it, and moved on before the game ever had online coop.

duckroll

Yoshiya said:
Don't forget that the character pack is up on the US PSN, but is bizarrely absent in Europe and Australia.

I was actually considering putting together a specific timeline and more details of their fuck ups, but it's really not worth the effort because then I would be putting more effort into complaining about it than they have put into marketing and managing the schedule for the game. :lol

FrankT

Bebpo said:
Yeah, though the online was the worst because it killed any potential community the game could have had. Most people bought it, beat it, and moved on before the game ever had online coop.

It should have been there from day one. Said it myself as did many.

burgerdog

duckroll said:

- LCGoL is released on PSN and Steam, without the advertised online co-op mode, even though it has already been patched in the XBLA version

Everything is right except for those two. PSN and Steam version were released long before 360 received the online coop patch. What a mess this has been.

duckroll

Never before have I found it so hard to want to continue supporting a game which I really enjoyed. If only Eidos had not decided to rush this out of the door and basically shit all over it, I think it would be a huge hit.

They should have delayed all versions, and launched at the same time in late Nov or early Dec. Then slowly roll out the DLC bit by bit in bi-weekly periods: DLC1 -> Character Pack 1 -> DLC2 -> Character Pack 2 -> DLC3 over 2-3 months. If they did that, the game would get GREAT word of mouth heading into the holiday season, and basically have the entire DD market to itself with no real competition in this period. The biweekly DLC releases would sell much better, and continue to keep the online co-op community alive. The game would still be alive in March 2011, and then if they're successful enough they could do a major patch then to add support for more DLC and ride the wave of marketing for the Tomb Raider reboot as well.

Instead they just took a great game that people worked hard on, and shat on it. SHAT ON IT. Fuck you Eidos.

burgerdog said:
Everything is right except for those two. PSN and Steam version were released long before 360 received the online coop patch. What a mess this has been.

Oh okay. I'm not totally clear on that since I bought the game on Steam later on. Thanks for the clarification.

Cels

duckroll said:
Never before have I found it so hard to want to continue supporting a game which I really enjoyed. If only Eidos had not decided to rush this out of the door and basically shit all over it, I think it would be a huge hit.

They should have delayed all versions, and launched at the same time in late Nov or early Dec. Then slowly roll out the DLC bit by bit in bi-weekly periods: DLC1 -> Character Pack 1 -> DLC2 -> Character Pack 2 -> DLC3 over 2-3 months. If they did that, the game would get GREAT word of mouth heading into the holiday season, and basically have the entire DD market to itself with no real competition in this period. The biweekly DLC releases would sell much better, and continue to keep the online co-op community alive. The game would still be alive in March 2011, and then if they're successful enough they could do a major patch then to add support for more DLC and ride the wave of marketing for the Tomb Raider reboot as well.

Instead they just took a great game that people worked hard on, and shat on it. SHAT ON IT. Fuck you Eidos.

Oh okay. I'm not totally clear on that since I bought the game on Steam later on. Thanks for the clarification.

The online doesn't even work properly, lag on diamond/health/ammo pickups, lag on enemy deaths. wtf.

Yoshiya

duckroll said:
I think it was more that they put way too much significance on the Summer of Arcade promotion. If they'd ignored it, they could have launched a month later across all three platforms, with co-op probably and a consistent DLC schedule. Hopefully the lesson is learnt for next time around (I really, really hope there is a next time). All will be made better though if they would patch the new Lara Croft into this though. Please, Eidos? Please?

FrankT

I'm showing 82k on the leaderboards for Live. A game of this caliber at 82k ain't right at all. My buddy wouldn't even buy it when he heard it didn't have the co-op day 1. People say this doesn't matter, but you would be surprised how fast the word can spread and impact these games. He eventually bought it with some convincing after the co-op hit, but I do believe he would have passed it up otherwise had I not had it.

That is $1.2 million in revenue, but I do believe they could have done much better with great word of mouth from launch.

duckroll

Jtyettis said:
I'm showing 82k on the leaderboards for Live. A game of this caliber at 82k ain't right at all. My buddy wouldn't even buy it when he heard it didn't have the co-op day 1. People say this doesn't matter, but you would be surprised how fast the word can spread and impact these games. He eventually bought it with some convincing after the co-op hit, but I do believe he would have passed it up otherwise had I not had it.

That is $1.2 million in revenue, but I do believe they could have done much better with great word of mouth from launch.

Yeah, I heard the game probably sold about 100k+ on XBLA, which is horrifying. This is clearly a title which deserves over 500k in sales on a single platform at least. With a solid release schedule and proper management and marketing, it should have been able to do over a million across all 3 platforms eventually. Too bad they fucked it all up. :/

JPa3P.gif

That sounds like it sucks.

Jubbly

bozeman said:
Yeah, I was going to the end of the bridge. I finally just decided to press a random button and finally got it when pressing the grapple hook button, but you're right it was probably just automated and I was falling because I was pressing circle to do a drop down.

There is a bug if you shoot the thing then attempt to drop down when already standing near the edge of the bridge, so just stand in the middle, shoot, then run off the edge without pressing any buttons.

Running back down to the other end of the bridge is the slow ass way for losers who don't care about their time :D :lol

Regarding duck's stuff, I totally agree. The weak sales are a direct result of the abysmal launch by Eidos, and it's worth noting that it was actually months between the game launching and online co-op being added, rather than weeks as duck suggested.

An Eidos PR peon I know claimed that upper management wanted the game available during XBL's Summer promotion no matter what, thinking that this would outweigh any lost sales from the lack of online co-op. Instead, most people said "I'll wait for the co-op," and then completely forgot about the game when all the fancy AAA+ $60 games rolled out. Tis a terrible shame and I hope it doesn't cause the penny pinchers to veto a sequel.

As for the DLC, it's beyond bad, and they couldn't even be bothered to add leaderboards for it (PC), despite it being 'finished' for several months before release. Certainly not buying the others, and again I hope this doesn't prevent a sequel seeing how much emphasis studios put on DLC sales.

Jintor

xbhaskarx said:
Wow I had no idea they bungled things so badly, sad because the game deserves better treatment.

Agreed. This is really a great game. I didn't expect much until Word of mouth here on Gaf, glad I picked it up in the Steam sales

Ledsen

Played through this with a friend yesterday. Pretty great game, just like the other recent Tomb Raiders. Puzzles were really nice and the length felt just right. I won't be getting 100% though, too much of a pain in the ass since I'd have to go through the game at least twice more (once for finding stuff we missed and once for speedruns). I really don't think the speedruns should've been in there :( It's funny that they managed to keep some of the control problems (mainly wonky jumping and collision detection) even with the shift in perspective. At least they couldn't fuck up the camera this time :lol

Radogol

Draft said:
The next LoK should be like this.

How so? I mean, I'm all for a downloadable HD game in vein of the original LoK, but is that what you mean, or are you jonesing for a co-op, arcade LoK game?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just chiming in to say that after finally giving this game the time it deserves, its easily in my top 5 games of the year. Its pretty much the perfect Tomb Raider game, in my eyes.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
This whole release for the game has been fucked up from the start, which is a shame, because this game is really good. I hope they learn their lesson because this game deserved better.

Having said that, I tried the online co-op with a buddy of mine on PS3 and there wasn't any lag! It was running smooth the whole time! When you're playing this game with a friend, it becomes another beast and frankly, one of the best gaming times you could ever ask for.

I love this game Eidos, but please take note on this whole mess. It's hard to want to support your product when stuff like this happens.

duckroll said:
This game has basically the most fucked up release format ever. It's amateur, unprofessional, annoying, and downright insulting to fans. Let's look at how fucked up it is so far:

- LCGoL is released on XBLA only, without the advertised online co-op mode

- LCGoL is released on PSN and Steam, without the advertised online co-op mode.

- PSN gets online co-op patch but not DLC

- PSN finally gets a complimentary DLC Pack 2

- DLC Pack 1 is not available on PSN, DLC Pack 2 is not available on XBLA, Steam has no DLC or online co-op

- Steam finally gets the online co-op patch, no DLC

- DLC Pack 1 is released on PSN for $3.49

- Steam finally gets a complimentary DLC Pack 2, even after Eidos reps implied each platform would be getting a different DLC Pack

- DLC Pack 3 ($3.49) and Costume Pack 1 (Free) are released on PSN, dispite Eidos engaging the community and asking for a vote on which Costume Pack they should release first (Pack 2 won overwhelmingly)

- DLC Pack 3 is released on XBLA for 400 MS Points, making it almost 2 bucks more than the PSN pack, despite the wait

- To date DLC Pack 2 is still unavailable on XBLA, DLC Pack 1 and 3 are unavailable on Steam, and only PSN has the first Character Pack

(Note that days or weeks past between in of the above entries)

WHAT A CLUSTERFUCK. :(

Which is a real shame because the game is fantastic!

Cels

Timeline that I posted a few pages back...updated.

August 18 -- Release on XBLA without online co-op. However, the game's page on Xbox.com lists online co-op as one of the game's features.

September 28 -- Release on PSN, Steam without online co-op. Original planned release date for 360 online co-op. Crystal Dynamics misses this date. No official, public word from anyone from Eidos or Crystal Dynamics about the delay beforehand.

October 20 -- Eidos and Crystal Dynamics announce that online co-op for 360 is finally coming next week as well as a free DLC pack as an apology for the delay. No set date for PSN or Steam online co-op.

October 27 -- 360 gets online co-op, seventy days after original release. DLC pack #1, "All The Trappings", arrives as well, free for 30 days.

November 22 -- PSN version receives online co-op, eight weeks after release. DLC pack #2, "Things That Go Boom", available for download on PSN for free until December 21.

November 24 -- Steam version receives online co-op, eight weeks after release.

December 2 -- Steam version receives free DLC pack #2, same pack as the PSN version.

And now CD seems to have stepped up their game, releasing a free Kane & Lynch skin as well as DLC pack #3 "A Hazardous Reunion" available for purchase. CD will be busy with the new Tomb Raider game but let's hope that they continue supporting this title.

Shame that the game wasn't more successful. The people who made the game did a great job. The people who promoted the game and made the decision to release it seventy days before patching in a shoddy online co-op system.

What do you think would have happened if they had delayed the game from August to November and released it with a fully working online co-op without the item pickup lag that exists currently?

Yoshiya

Dynoro said:
Btw for those interested; this is now out on the ipad too
Would have rather they put that effort into fixing the multiplayer and release issues on the consoles they announced with; instead they add the burden of another console to support when they can't seem to do the first three in a competent manner.

Top Bottom