• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light |OT| - Play This GOTY Contender

derFeef

What I did not like watching the quicklook was the transition to a new area and the fading to black screen. The areas are too small for this kind of thing.

New official art; added fullsize link in the OP:

aot75d.jpg

Domstercool

Really fun game. It manages to capture the Tomb Raider essences brilliantly. It kind of feels like an arcade Tomb Raider, everything is sped up. The combat, puzzles and flow of the action is just fast :)

It's a great way to open the character to people to who wouldn't normally play a Lara Croft game. People might complain it's not the next big epic in the series, but this title works and I've love to see this style of isometric tomb raiding being used more often. Even as a prequel to a big Tomb Raider game release would work great I think.

Curufinwe

Domstercool said:
Really fun game. It manages to capture the Tomb Raider essences brilliantly. It kind of feels like an arcade Tomb Raider, everything is sped up. The combat, puzzles and flow of the action is just fast :)

It's a great way to open the character to people to who wouldn't normally play a Lara Croft game. People might complain it's not the next big epic in the series, but this title works and I've love to see this style of isometric tomb raiding being used more often. Even as a prequel to a big Tomb Raider game release would work great I think.

I think it looks great; I just hope they don't think that because a lot of gunplay works well here that the next proper Tomb Raider game needs to be focussed on shooting. That would be a huge mistake.

Domstercool

Curufinwe said:
I think it looks great; I just hope they don't think that because a lot of gunplay works well here that the next proper Tomb Raider game needs to be focussed on shooting. That would be a huge mistake.

Yeah, that's why I think it would work well as a spin off series, or a prequel to a major Tomb Raider game, something like Case Zero and the Dead Space arcade release for example.

Anyway the game itself is superb. It certainly surprised me as I was scared it might be turn out to be another twin stick shooter, but the puzzle aspects and artefact mechanics are great. Oh and collectaphiles are going to going to enjoy getting all the challenge rewards for a level. It nets you goodies :)

FrankT

Well Keighley seems impressed as well. Now if I can only be on my twitter when these things pop up heh;

geoffkeighley Lara Croft code madness continues: WYYVM-KGTCW-9X38B-24F7R-QMXK6, MCRB4-KXWYJ-8RBJG-PV9D2-WD2DW. Playing the game today and it rocks!

eshwaaz

Larson Conway said:
New official art; added fullsize link in the OP:

It's a beautifully done piece, but I'm not fond of how utterly generic Lara's face has become. I know they're going for a photo-real interpretation, but she now looks like some random pretty face instead of Lara Croft.

Domstercool said:
Anyway the game itself is superb. It certainly surprised me as I was scared it might be turn out to be another twin stick shooter, but the puzzle aspects and artefact mechanics are great. Oh and collectaphiles are going to going to enjoy getting all the challenge rewards for a level. It nets you goodies :)
Very encouraging. Are you playing it single player or co-op?

Domstercool

eshwaaz said:
It's a beautifully done piece, but I'm not fond of how utterly generic Lara's face has become. I know they're going for a photo-real interpretation, but she now looks like some random pretty face instead of Lara Croft.

Very encouraging. Are you playing it single player or co-op?

Finished it by myself, took me around 5 hours. Playing it now with my brother in cooperative.

Basically in coop the game removes Lara's ability to use the staff (Totec uses it instead), and removes some objects in the level so that you have to work with Totec (P2) to get up to higher places or over obstacles. You can use Totec's shield or the ability to use the pully as a rope to walk across :) You can even have Totec hold the pulley so that Lara can climb up sides of walls.

V_Arnold

Just finished the game.

Started at 13:00, finished at 21:45, with at least an hour break in the middle of it and some 10-15 breaks also.

I have to say it is a nice 6-7 hour IF you choose to enter all challenge rooms, and at least try and get all the red skulls / try a few extra objective.

To get all achievements, to finish on hardest, to get all side-missions done, I would say it is at least a 20-30 hour practice, or possibly even more. But that does not matter, as it was an awesome experience.

In the end of the day, this is the game which still gives me faith that video games ARE about pure fun. Last year, I got Batman and SFIV. This year, it already started with Bayonetta. And now this. Yes, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is that much fun.

Buy it.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Shurs said:
That's odd. My review is embargoed until tomorrow morning. 'Bargo Busters?
I don't know about these guys, but I've been sent a review code without any mention of embargo. I guess I'll wait until tomorrow then. Any special time?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
HadesGigas said:
Just won this on twitter, gonna download now!

Edit: game is a meaty 2.02 gigs.
:lol I won one too thanks to Keighley! High five!

20100816-db789es38g7enwq398cxh1jsy2.jpg

Killthee said:

Haha nice.

I wonder if redeeming codes counts towards that free MS Points promotion. Gotta check that fine print...

It'd be awesome if in addition to a free game I end up with 400 space bucks for it being my third Summer of Arcade title.

Shurs said:
That's odd. My review is embargoed until tomorrow morning. 'Bargo Busters?
Which of the the sites do you write for?

Killthee said:

FFFUUU. I certainly don't mind spending for this game, but damn who wouldn't want it free just like that? !!!

Another review up courtesy of Bit-tech: BIT-TECH | 8/10

seady

Killthee said:

Damn how do you guys win it so easily?
I saw his twitter several minutes after it pop up every time and went immediately to redeem the code, but they ran out every single time.

Do you guys sit around to keep refreshing his twitter all day long or have some sort of automatic system I am not aware of?

seady said:
Damn how do you guys win it so easily?
I saw his twitter several minutes after it pop up every time and went immediately to redeem the code, but they ran out every single time.

Do you guys sit around to keep refreshing his twitter all day long or have some sort of automatic system I am not aware of?

He gave out 10 copies to the first 10 @replies with the correct Game Informer review score.

And a program like TweetDeck takes care of the refreshing, just luck to be paying attention at the right time.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
HadesGigas said:
He gave out 10 copies to the first 10 @replies with the correct Game Informer review score.

And a program like TweetDeck takes care of the refreshing, just luck to be paying attention at the right time.
Yeah, I got it with the review question too.

I had just opened up Twitterrific when I saw the tweet occurred half a minute ago, so I hopped over to GI.com to look up their review scale, guessed 9, and replied :D

Killthee said:
Yeah, I got it with the review question too.

I had just opened up Twitterrific when I saw the tweet occurred half a minute ago, so I hopped over to GI.com to look up their review scale, guessed 9, and replied :D

I Google news'd "Lara Croft" "Game Informer". The result wasn't even in English, but 9/10 was all I needed to understand...

Game Informer przyznaje Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ocenę 9/10, nagrodę "Gold" i tytuł gry miesiąca! - chwalą się na swoim Twitterze ...

Nemesis_

Larson Conway said:
Any French members here? Is it possible to translate the last final score summary of the JeuxVideo's review? Thanks in advance!

JEUX VIDEO | 17/20

My French is extremely rusty but:

GRAPHICS
- They feel the camera is a little too far back
- Despite this, they commend how great the detail is in the environments and characters.
- They appreciate the diversity in the indoor and outdoor levels
- Overall they reckon the game is Beautifully Designed.

GAMEPLAY
- About 30 minutes to "learn" the game properly
- After about 30 minutes they talk about being able to use all of Lara's abilities and weapons
- They like the way the gameplay scales depending on whether you play alone or with Totec.

LONGEVITY
- Single Player and Co-Op have differing puzzles so they think this adds life to the product
- There are a total of 14 levels
- They mention the gameplay is very "fluid" but then talk about forty minutes. (I'm not sure I read this right, surely the game is longer than 40 minutes?)
- They mention that those who want to find everything will no doubt find hours in the game.

SOUND
- Guardian of Light has a soundtrack on par with the rest of the series.

I can't really make out the rest. But.....

OVERALL
- Guardian of Light will appeal to fans while appealing to a wider audience too.
- Despite the challenges associated with an isometric view, Crystal Dynamics have performed "superbly" in bringing the Tomb Raider experience to this viewpoint.
- They mention that the co-op mechanics and fluid controls bring Lara into "these times"
- They say that the spin-off series, if it continues, will be an interesting and competent action game.

(Hope that helps. Someone with native tongue might do better)

Nemesis556 said:
- They mention the gameplay is very "fluid" but then talk about forty minutes. (I'm not sure I read this right, surely the game is longer than 40 minutes?)
They say that the length of each of 14 levels fluctuates (is this the right word here?) from 10 to 40 minutes.

Shurs

Blimblim said:
I don't know about these guys, but I've been sent a review code without any mention of embargo. I guess I'll wait until tomorrow then. Any special time?

I was told 9 am PST, or 4 hours from now.

Nemesis_

LOVE & TRUTH said:
They say that the length of each of 14 levels fluctuates (is this the right word here?) from 10 to 40 minutes.

Ahh right. Thanks, that makes so much more sense. :lol

As I said, Australian with a very basic knowledge of French. Not the best reliance. =P But yeah, most of the stuff I posted is up to scratch.

Nemesis556 said:
Ahh right. Thanks, that makes so much more sense. :lol

As I said, Australian with a very basic knowledge of French. Not the best reliance. =P But yeah, most of the stuff I posted is up to scratch.
Thanks for the translation, Nemesis! Linked to your post number in the OP.

More reviews coming in:

NOW GAMER | 8.7/10

Larsen B

It's surprising that this has turned out to be the dark horse of the Summer Arcade line-up.

Great news for Crystal Dynamics and I cannot wait for Wednesday.

Top Bottom