• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest EDGE Scores (MGS4, LostWinds, Haze etc)

CowGirl

Sho Nuff said:
I think all great games should have extensive cutscenes. Imagine how much better the Williams Pinball Collection would have been if, after you activate multi-ball, you got a 45-minute CG sequence of Pin-bot contemplating what it truly means to be human

:lol

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Captain Glanton said:
There aren't enough lols in the world for this--thinking that liking MGS's fiction makes you informed.
You misread his statement. He didn't say that.

CamHostage

flipping_heck said:
Extra stuff:

Region Specific: Singapore

Time Extend:
Star Fox 64

The Making of:
Carmageddon

Shud be interesting reading the making of Carmageddon :p

Could this be about the making of the cancelled project, or is it just coverage of the game that came out a decade or so ago?

Farnack

Banned
Himuro said:
Portal's story telling will kick MGS4's story telling.

Where the hell is Brutal Legend.
Portal has story telling?

Aside from instructional narrative from a funny voice...

It didn't seem too particularly special.

soldat7

Captain Glanton said:
That was sort of my point, actually. GTA and comics both have bad stories and dialogue, but MGS is much worse.

Look, I liked playing MGS 1 and 3 a lot, shitty control scheme aside. But I'd be ashamed to show the very best scene from MGS to another adult. And lol at the guy who keeps calling me ignorant.

1) MGS is not "much worse" than the stories found in GTA and most comics. That's quite honestly the silliest thing I've heard today.

2) My WIFE who HATES video games has been watching me play MGS, MGS2, and now MGS3 these past couple of weeks. She has NEVER watched me play games and to see her interested in one (or three) is shocking to my system.

Kojima is one of the few left in the gaming industry who know how to tell a good story, in my opinion. Levine is another. Seriously, there are just too few in this industry who really understand the power of the medium and how to use it.

MGS4 getting some scores like this was going to happen, it always happens cause there are just some people that dont like the style of game MGS is. Oh well.

What worries me as a fan is that the story will be as bloated as MGS2, which seems all but confirmed. I hope its paced well cause that hurt MGS2. Gameplay I am sure it will be as good if not better than MGS3, seems like there is a ton of it as well. I am worried at this thing that happens at the middle of the game that changes everything, seems like the Edge guy did not like it. Every review mentions this is not the game we expect so something crazy goes on, hopefully its for the best.

Damn this thread. I think the MGS trilogy has the best storytelling in a game ever and the characters and their motives are always so interesting. To each his own, I guess.

The MGS narrative is worth enjoying for the first run through- after that it's entirely dull. I can't say its plot and characters hold up like a traditional narrative in film.

Deepblue

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
- Camera flow effortless between 1st and 3rd person view
- Control system has "at last" the ideal balance of intuitvness and range.
- Game can be played for months rather than days.

30 hour long game, review not including multiplayer portion, game gets an 8.
I like how the length of MGS4 gets longer and longer, while other games get shorter. The blatancy with which you troll other games while defending something you have not even played yourself is sickening. It's a little more subtle than it was on B3d, but "sorry sony" has a very clear agenda.

soldat7

evilromero said:
The MGS narrative is worth enjoying for the first run through- after that it's entirely dull. I can't say its plot and characters hold up like a traditional narrative in film.

Does it need to? And maybe it does. I'd be curious to see how many people are currently discussing No Country For Old Men (book is better) versus Metal Gear Solid on various discussion forums. It would be an interesting survey.

soldat7 said:
Does it need to? And maybe it does. I'd be curious to see how many people are currently discussing No Country For Old Men (book is better) versus Metal Gear Solid on various discussion forums. It would be an interesting survey.

A good bit of MGS4's discussion has very little to do with the story, you know. So it wouldn't exactly be the best comparison.

Exempted

Banned
Himuro said:

No, it 's just hilarious how subtlety, mood, atmosphere, and visual clues basically swung past you while playing Portal. Portal is how the game industry should treat story telling. Not by giving us 90 minute cutscenes. If you're going to give us cutscenes, at least make them like some of the games with better stories; short, sweet, and right to the point.
Good, since MGS4 doesn't give you 90 minute cutscenes.

CamHostage said:
Could this be about the making of the cancelled project, or is it just coverage of the game that came out a decade or so ago?
It's the old game, but sometimes Edge cover old games before the sequel is announced or released. As was the case with Street Fighter. I don't know if SCi has any unannounced projects but I wouldn't bet against a new Carmageddon in the coming months.

soldat7 said:
Films are made to be watched multiple times. You don't go back and watch The Graduate only to ask yourself, "Christ, is that cheesy. How did I not think that?" With MGS2, for example, the entirely Tanker cut-scene with Revolver Ocelot is so silly and adolescent in execution that it's hard to be taken seriously.

Farnack

Banned
Exempted said:
...No you didn't. GlaDOS didn't explain any of the story to you really.
I don't know about you, but I had already figured out
GlaDOS was trying to kill you
less than half way through the game just by what it was saying to you.

Metal Gear? Heh, good luck even figuring out what's coming up the next minute when you play it.

Exempted

Banned
Himuro said:
Really? Doesn't the review say it has two 90 minute cutscenes?
Except several other sources have said that that's an exaggeration, and that during their playthroughs, the longest cutscene was the final one, which was around an hour.

Farnack said:
I don't know about you, but I had already figured out
GlaDOS was trying to kill you
less than half way through the game just by what it was saying to you.
...That's not the whole story. Congratulations on missing half of it.

SickBoy

soldat7 said:
If "cinematic" means "incredibly boring" then yes, Half-Life 2 is the greatest cinematic game of our time.

The fact that the MGS series has long cutscenes and lengthy dialog just goes further to set itself apart from a lot of the crap currently passing as AAA these days. The biggest downfall of many recent AAA titles is LACK of story, LACK of exposition, and MORE focus on action and shooting.

I'm sure MGS4 is going to rock fans of the series in a huge way. But there's exposition and then there's exposition. (i.e: there is such a thing as too much, although many gamers will disagree)

Bioshock told a compelling story with only a few minutes of actual "cutscene" to it (I see you mention Ken Levine in another post after the one I'm quoting here).

As for the focus on action and shooting, I'm optimistic for MGS4 because they obviously put a lot of thought into fixing those aspects of the game from previous versions. I know it's blasphemy to fans of the series, but if the game appeals to me, it's going to be in spite of the story, not because of it.

Farnack said:
Metal Gear? Heh, good luck even figuring out what's coming up the next minute when you play it.

That has less to do with Metal Gear's mastery of storytelling and more to do with how ridiculous and contrived the entire plot is.

Farnack

Banned
Himuro said:

No, it 's just hilarious how subtlety, mood, atmosphere, and visual clues basically swung past you while playing Portal. Portal is how the game industry should treat story telling. Not by giving us 90 minute cutscenes. If you're going to give us cutscenes, at least make them like some of the games with better stories; short, sweet, and right to the point.

Honestly, when it comes to gaming, I think Final Fantasy VII and VIII have the best "cinematography".
Mood? Atmosphere? It was mainly just a normal looking white hall with puzzles to get through. I didn't feel like a Silent Hill theme going on.

What I see in the first 10 minute revealed MGS4 gameplay is more story than Portal.

Exempted

Banned
Himuro said:
MGS2's ending was an hour long? What?
45 minutes-ish. Combine the Codecs, final cutscene, credits, and talk at the end. It's pretty long. That's probably the same way this is being measured.

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
While there is no denying that Portals story is told especially well and it is all the better a game for it, this is Metal Gear frickin Solid we're talking about here. Kojima doesn't know the meaning of the word 'subtlety'. Just enjoy his crazy exposition for exactly what it is- crazy exposition. There's no sense in arguing about the length of cutscenes in the MGS series, because that's what the fans play it for in the first place. In fact I'd go as far as to say the fans would be pissed off if there wasnt a 90 minute cutscene in this game.

You'd be right. I'm looking forward to the long cutscenes.

BobsRevenge

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
While there is no denying that Portals story is told especially well and it is all the better a game for it, this is Metal Gear frickin Solid we're talking about here. Kojima doesn't know the meaning of the word 'subtlety'. Just enjoy his crazy exposition for exactly what it is- crazy exposition. There's no sense in arguing about the length of cutscenes in the MGS series, because that's what the fans play it for in the first place. In fact I'd go as far as to say the fans would be pissed off if there wasnt a 90 minute cutscene in this game.
BOOSH!

Mario Galaxy also had very long cut-scenes and dialogue sequences. That should have knocked the game down to a 7. What the fuck- a 6.

Dever

Banned
Himuro said:
Hahaha. I guess you're right. I'm going to play this game to see someone grab Raiden's balls, have him react like,"wtf?"

MGS stories are ridiculous...but I love the characters so much.

I don't think he has balls anymore D:

Gen-X

Banned
Roxas said:
- Opening act is the best part
- Not a game for MGS outsiders
- two cut-scenes near the 90 minute mark
- The Beauty and the Beast Unit are in the shadow of the MGS3 Cobra Unit.
- Camera flow effortless between 1st and 3rd person view
- Control system has "at last" the ideal balance of intuitvness and range.
- Game can be played for months rather than days.
- MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers (??)
- But is very faithful to its fans and delivers without equal in so many ways.

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

Do you honestly mean that there are 2 90 minute cut-scenes in this game!??!?!?!?!?!?!

soldat7

Pureauthor said:
A good bit of MGS4's discussion has very little to do with the story, you know. So it wouldn't exactly be the best comparison.

Incorrect. There are plenty of forums scattered all over the place still talking about the plot and story of the MGS series. In fact, there are several large threads here on NeoGAF discussing the story of MGS.

Druff

Banned
The method of story telling needs to work with the actual story being told. Imagine what it would like if you wrote out a summary of Portal's story, and then wrote out a summary of an MGS game's story. Any one MGS, not even the entire series. Compare those documents. Look at how much information Portal gives the player and how much the MGS game gives. It wouldn't be possible to tell MGS's story using Portal's techniques. Apples and oranges.

soldat7 said:
Incorrect. There are plenty of forums scattered all over the place still talking about the plot and story of the MGS series. In fact, there are several large threads here on NeoGAF discussing the story of MGS.

RIF

BobsRevenge

Red Blaster said:
Their relationship no longer exists in MGS4, no loving.
Why did I highlight that?

I'm done with MGS4 threads. DONE! I can't take it anymore.

Dever

Banned
Gen-X said:
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

Do you honestly mean that there are 2 90 minute cut-scenes in this game!??!?!?!?!?!?!

Sounds absolutely ludicrous to me as well. You'd think someone like Shane would've mentioned it if there really was 2 movie-length cutscenes in the game.

NeoUltima

I've said it once and I'll say it again...wtf at none of these reviews factoring in MGO.

I know MGO wasn't ready to be reviewed yet...but if they were real professionals they would have waited for it to be ready instead of just trying to be one of the first to review MGS4. MGO has about as much content as Warhawk did(before the DLC) and that was getting high scores on its own. How the hell can these publications feel they have fairly reviewed the game when they aren't even factoring in the games full-fledged multiplayer component...? I better be seeing some re-evaluations down the line. I'm paying $85 for MGS4 and MGO, not just MGS4.

I guarantee GTA4 would not have gotten nearly as many 10s or high 9s if its multiplayer wasn't factored into its reviews.
Just ridiculous....Hopefully the US reviews, since they went to a different review session in L.A., actually include MGO in their reviews.

Dever said:
Sounds absolutely ludicrous to me as well. You'd think someone like Shane would've mentioned it if there really was 2 movie-length cutscenes in the game.

EDGE wouldn't have commented on them if they weren't in there.

Tiktaalik

Roxas said:
- MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers (??)

My interpretation of this is that the early trailers insinuated there was constant combat all the time and that you were in the middle of the battlefield. I bet that this is only really the first chapter, and that it's really basic, and then after that it's same old same old linear MGS corridor style gameplay.

Even if that is the case I'm still pretty confident that MGS4 will be fuck awesome.

- But is very faithful to its fans and delivers without equal in so many ways.

Why so low? :lol

I don't give a shit about the 8 score. I can tell from the more detailed impressions that this game will be incredible.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
NeoUltima said:
I've said it once and I'll say it again...wtf at none of these reviews factoring in MGO.

I know MGO wasn't ready to be reviewed yet...but if they were real professionals they would have waited for it to be ready instead of just trying to be one of the first to review MGS4. MGO has about as much content as Warhawk did(before the DLC) and that was getting high scores on its own. How the hell can these publications feel they have fairly reviewed the game when they aren't even factoring in the games full-fledged multiplayer component...? I better be seeing some re-reviews down the line. I'm paying $85 for MGS4 and MGO, not just MGS4.

I guarantee GTA4 would not have gotten nearly as many 10s or high 9s if its multiplayer wasn't factored into its reviews.
Just ridiculous....Hopefully the US reviews, since they went to a different review session in L.A., actually include MGO in their reviews.

Its sold as a seperate game, isnt it?

3rdman

Dever said:
C'mon,...if Kojima shat on a plate and called it meatloaf, no amount of smell, taste, or texture would convince Shane that it wasn't the best thing he's ever eaten.

Did you all forget the "you can really tell the direction the bullets are flying by the vibration in the controller" crap?

Top Bottom