• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest EDGE Scores (MGS4, LostWinds, Haze etc)

Walshicus

Ynos Yrros said:
It does deserve a 9 or 10, it's a glowing review.
Basically, MGS4 is THE game according to the review, but if you're new to the series you won't get the full experience, and the story didn't fit in with reviewers expectations.
Ynos Yrros said:
Their English must be weak. It was already debunked. The NDAs were for previews not reviews, most of those things were already mentioned in reviews.

I'm sure I've had my share of dubious moments, and I'm certain many would go to my tagged link and laugh at me... but man, you're cracking me up here.

StuBurns

Banned
NeoUltima said:
Why are reviews always based on price though? Remember the 1up/EGM Warhawk debacle? And small downloadable games....if SSHD costed a full $60, you can bet it wouldn't have gotten the same reviews.
They are based on price yes, price and format, if you consider reviews which give scores in sections, a Wii game would not be expected to have the visual standards of a PS360 game to get the same mark out of ten, even though it is sold at the same price.

I guess for some people they are just a buyers guide, I don't read enough reviews. But I'd certainly never buy or not buy a game based on a review, when I do read them, it's because I'm interested in a persons opinion of the work, not of the value proposition.

Why do games like MGS2: Substance or MGS: Subsistence often get lower ratings then the originals? Even though the product contains masses more content for the money?

I think it's because it's a evaluation of the work, which is in those cases mostly old, not the value.

But that is mostly off-topic, I'll bow out as we won't see eye to eye on this.

Vagrant

I don't think MGO should be included in these MGS4 reviews. From what I understand Konami didn't even have any servers set up for the press to play it on. If they wanted to include it with their MGS4 reviews they would have had to judge the online portion based on a limited beta.

slaughterking said:
German online mag 4players.de put an explanation in their review about what they weren't allowed to talk about:

http://www.4players.de/4players.php.../Metal_Gear_Solid_4_Guns_of_the_Patriots.html

It basically says they couldn't mention:

- game length
- cut scene length
- story development
- diversity of the showplaces
- how does the game look in 1080p
- multiplayer
- how does the actual game link to the cinematic dramaturgy (dunno what this is supposed to mean D: )

Thats why they put a review online, but didn't score the game yet.

Jesus, I feel a Konami boycott coming on

NeoUltima

stuburns said:
They are based on price yes, price and format, if you consider reviews which give scores in sections, a Wii game would not be expected to have the visual standards of a PS360 game to get the same mark out of ten, even though it is sold at the same price.

I guess for some people they are just a buyers guide, I don't read enough reviews. But I'd certainly never buy or not buy a game based on a review, when I do read them, it's because I'm interested in a persons opinion of the work, not of the value proposition.

Why do games like MGS2: Substance or MGS: Subsistence often get lower ratings then the originals? Even though the product contains masses more content for the money?

I think it's because it's a evaluation of the work, which is in those cases mostly old, not the value.

But that is mostly off-topic, I'll bow out as we won't see eye to eye on this.
Well...I don't see them as just a buyers guide either, but I know if I see a game comes out and is scoring 9s across the board, I should look into it. Likewise, a game that scores 4s across the board I would not even consider renting. (remakes like substance score lower because the bar was raised higher by other games. well actually subsistence got higher reviews than snake eater, but i get your point)

But yeah, I agree people have different viewpoints on the meaning reviews, so np.

Sir Fragula said:
I'm sure I've had my share of dubious moments, and I'm certain many would go to my tagged link and laugh at me... but man, you're cracking me up here.
Game length: ~29 hours
Cut scene length: 8-9 hours, longest cut scenes 45-90 minutes
Story development: true this was NDAd
Locations:
middle east, eastern europe, won't go further
How does the game look in 1080p: how is it supposed to look?
Multiplayer: press servers weren't up
How does the game compare to actual dramaturgy? How does it compare to movies?

Everything but the story development bit can be found in print reviews in OPMs and Edge.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
So I guess the whole backlash against the 90 minute cutscenes from say, GamePro, is "they're not that long, more like 45".

Yeah, I'll take 10 minutes for 400, please Bob.

slaughterking said:
German online mag 4players.de put an explanation in their review about what they weren't allowed to talk about:

http://www.4players.de/4players.php.../Metal_Gear_Solid_4_Guns_of_the_Patriots.html

- game length
- cut scene length
- story development
- multiplayer
- how does the actual game link to the cinematic dramaturgy (dunno what this is supposed to mean D: )

WTF at the influence of developers on reviews. The entire system is becoming corrupted as hell.

AniHawk said:
Wow. I remember when people here freaked out over Xenosaga's 45 minute cutscene as being way too damn long. This is crazy.
Yeah, I think it's still too long, way too long. I doubt it's just one continuous "movie" though.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
WTF at the influence of developers on reviews. The entire system is becoming corrupted as hell.
Publishers, not developers. And I'm not even sure it's true. Edge's disregard for it, is not sufficient enough to say it's not true.

Nif

Ynos Yrros said:
Their English must be weak. It was already debunked. The NDAs were for previews not reviews, most of those things were already mentioned in reviews.

It was never debunked. You're ignoring it because it's Konami. :lol

TTP said it was true for previews and that he didn't know about what was on the list for reviews.

IGN UK review said:
In return for letting us play Metal Gear Solid 4 before its release, Konami issued us with a list of things that we're not allowed to discuss. This list of prohibited topics is pretty long, and even extends as far as several facts that the company itself has already made public.

The fact that a lot of people still aren't sure just how many times you install over the course of the game should tell you something. If I were writing a review and there were 5 minute long smoking breaks, I'd say something.

thrasher

Banned
slaughterking said:

- game length
- cut scene length
- story development
- multiplayer

Does anyone else think the strangest point here is "How the game looks in 1080P"?

mr_bishiuk said:
Jesus, I feel a Konami boycott coming on

Yeah! Boycott Konami for keeping the reviews spoiler-free! I mean cmon, everyone knows Snake puts a gun in his mouth! We all hear a bang! Not that we know if he dies or not but DAMN YOU KONAMI FOR KEEPING THE REVIEWS SPOILER-FREE!!

StuBurns

Banned
thrasher said:
Does anyone else think the strangest point here is "How the game looks in 1080P"?
Not really, it's being upscaled, it's not really 1080p, so I can see Konami not wanting people discussing it.

thrasher

Banned
stuburns said:
Not really, it's being upscaled, it's not really 1080p, so I can see Konami not wanting people discussing it.

I'm sure Konami wouldn't want to the consumer to get the wrong idea :)

AniHawk

Himuro said:
There a cutscene in Xenosaga that's 45 minutes long?

Yeah, it's towards the beginning. Actually, the fact that there's about 7 hours of cutscenes in that game really freaked people out IIRC.

NeoUltima

BigBoss said:
Nice edit.
:lol I noticed as well. I was about to quote and make a witty remark....but decided against it, might have got me banned. Then I refreshed this page and saw the original post was edited out.

StuBurns

Banned
To be honest, I think if I were a games journalist I would have refused to sign this shit. It's offensive to me that they would forbid anything outside of plot details to be off the cards for review. They are meant to be independent reviewers not PR reps.

I urge any reviewers reading this, next time you get an NDA with anything of this nature on it, to tell the publisher to cram it up their arse and report on the disgusting NDA clauses you were propositioned with.

But I think just as little of the people who signed the NDA and are breaking it, you've signed it, you've wavered any right you have to complain about it. Where are the principles and morality in this industry. Growth shouldn't just be about profit. The industry has to move away from this kind of shit.

Deepblue

Banned
NeoUltima said:
:lol I noticed as well. I was about to quote and make a witty remark....but decided against it, might have got me banned. Then I refreshed this page and saw the original post was edited out.
Thought better of it seeing as how one assumption has yet to be confirmed.

KTallguy

Banned
Deepblue said:
Thought better of it seeing as how one assumption has yet to be confirmed.

Nice edit #2.

But you haven't found a resolution to the problems surrounding your favorite game of 2007, so I guess we shouldn't go there.

Farnack

Banned
stuburns said:
I think there should be a seperate review for MGO and for it to be made clear that the two are brought in a single retail product, but they should not be reviewed as a single game.
I see where you are going.

MGS4 single player: 8/10
MGO: 8/10

MGS4: 16/10

Ynos Yrros said:

why are you allowed to post such blatant bullshit? we've already had a couple of journos here on gaf state that it is true. skip being one of them.

thing is different ndas might have been signed for different regions. or even different publications.

StuBurns

Banned
Farnack said:
I see where you are going.

MGS4 single player: 8/10
MGO: 8/10

MGS4: 16/10
Well I'd suspect it's more like...

MGS4: 9/10
MGO: 4/10

But either way I do believe they deserve separate reviews. EDGE gave HL2 10/10, and the Orange Box 10/10, you could say that means that HL2:EP1, HL2:EP2, Portal and TF2 are not worth 1/10. But of course they are, and they deserve their own reviews, they're incredible pieces of software.

Rainy Dog

Testicular Sound Express said:
so what is said about MAdWorld in the issue

I've not read the Platinum Games article yet, gut looks to be pretty in depth with individual pieces devoted to each of their recently revealed games and their respective producers. Should get chance to read it tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Might also mention that they don't think much to Killzone 2. Said the gunplay feels off and it does nothing even remotely new with either graphics or gameplay at this stage...

StuBurns

Banned
KTallguy said:
Reaallly???
I guess if you go into it thinking it's COD4... but it doesn't deserve a 4/10 by any stretch of the imagination.
Well I've only played the Beta, that's why I said 'I suspect'. But I thought it was complete trash to be honest, really truly awful.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Roxas said:
- Control system has "at last" the ideal balance of intuitvness and range.
- Game can be played for months rather than days.
- MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers (??)
- But is very faithful to its fans and delivers without equal in so many ways.

Yet, GTA4 gets a 10?

Mideon said:
Nice scores, I will have to wait and play MGS4 to see if it is worth more than an 8, but im betting an 8 will be spot on since the only review I have ever thought was crazy in Edge is the 10 they gave Halo 3 when at the most it should have been a 9 if not an 8.
Fuck you.

Farnack

Banned
stuburns said:
Well I've only played the Beta, that's why I said 'I suspect'. But I thought it was complete trash to be honest, really truly awful.
MGO Beta is better than Halo 3 retail for me anyways.

So...

MGS4 Singleplayer 8/10
MGO 15/10

MGS4 23/10

StuBurns

Banned
Farnack said:
MGO Beta is better than Halo 3 retail for me anyways.

So...

MGS4 Singleplayer 8/10
MGO 15/10

MGS4 23/10
That's a good score, I'd love to see Metacritic try and convert it.

If it wasn't off topic I'd love to hear why you would think MGO will even approach MGS4, let alone be almost twice as good.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
stuburns said:
That's a good score, I'd love to see Metacritic try and convert it.

If it wasn't off topic I'd love to hear why you would think MGO will even approach MGS4, let alone be almost twice as good.
MGO is what im really looking forward to personally

mgs4 will probably be the best single player experience of my life though topping even RE4.

Top Bottom