• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest EDGE Scores (MGS4, LostWinds, Haze etc)

WickedLaharl said:
why are you allowed to post such blatant bullshit? we've already had a couple of journos here on gaf state that it is true. skip being one of them.

thing is different ndas might have been signed for different regions. or even different publications.
Germany is in Europe, all the info I posted is from European magazines. I think that different NDAs for different publications is pushing it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Rainy Dog said:
I've not read the Platinum Games article yet, gut looks to be pretty in depth with individual pieces devoted to each of their recently revealed games and their respective producers. Should get chance to read it tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Might also mention that they don't think much to Killzone 2. Said the gunplay feels off and it does nothing even remotely new with either graphics or gameplay at this stage...

Haze?

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
I don't see what the big deal is about the 90 minute cut scenes are, just look at is as your getting a movie and a game in one!

belvedere

Junior Butler
How the fuck isn't Deepblue banned yet? The blatant trolling is obviously standard fare for him but the recent stealth editing and unwarranted attacks put him over the top.

J-Rzez

ghst said:
Yet, GTA4 gets a 10?

For obvious reasons of course. Unfortunately, Edge began lowering itself into the same sea of mediocrity as other publications come their H3 review. The 10 GTA4 got solidified that thought. They are no better than the other clown shoe publications out there anymore.

After all the glowing comments in the controls, camera, ultimate fan service, "game you'll play for months", you'd think the game would receive a 10 as well. But apparently long cutscenes = -1pt, in conjunction with PS3 exclusive = -1 pt, thus you have the said score.

Unfortunately, the media brought this upon themselves though that print mags are full of fail anymore, and many people want to see previews and footage of the game played, rather than the insignificant score they love to slap onto the highest bidder.

Did I play the game? No. But you read that review summary and how could you think any other way other than a near flawless game? I mean, they gave other games that are riddled with flaws 10's, why the exception now? Unless, cutscenes and deep story are now frowned upon and the simpletons are having their way. I love there being some meat to stories, and well direction, but apparently it's all about "Damn, there's some bugs" - "Shit, let's rock them!" and there's your story.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
FTWer said:
yeah Edge lost all it's credibility to me.
Might as well be posting GamePro scores on the forums now.
How can they lose all credibility for a score on a game that's not out yet, based on opinions from two different reviewers? Plus, we haven't even seen the actual review, just the score. This doesn't sound nearly as bad as all the hype fueled hyperbole and payola that usually surrounds big name releases.

J-Rzez said:
After all the glowing comments in the controls, camera, ultimate fan service, "game you'll play for months", you'd think the game would receive a 10 as well. But apparently long cutscenes = -1pt, in conjunction with PS3 exclusive = -1 pt, thus you have the said score.

Ugh.

belvedere said:
How the fuck isn't Deepblue banned yet? The blatant trolling is obviously standard fare for him but the recent stealth editing and unwarranted attacks put him over the top.

I've always considered him to be a mod's joke character and that's why I'm always replying accordingly to him (Deepblue post detected -> sarcasm enabled). No regular member gets away with this kind of trolling.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
glad to see BB and LW being appreciated.

lips

SapientWolf said:
How can they lose all credibility for a score on a game that's not out yet, based on opinions from two different reviewers? Plus, we haven't even seen the actual review, just the score. This doesn't sound nearly as bad as all the hype fueled hyperbole and payola that usually surrounds big name releases.

A better question is if Grind is a 9, in what ways does it succeed pgr4 and fm2? It must be thrilling and original and new to impress these guys. All this time I have to listen to how mgo is superior to mgs4 because it will be on xbox 360. please start explaining to me how this is true, aswell.

fortified_concept said:
I've always considered him to be a mod's joke character and that's why I'm always replying accordingly to him (Deepblue post detected -> sarcasm enabled). No regular member gets away with this kind of trolling.

I've seen him banned before, but yeah I'm amazed. I've seen others (myself included) banned for a lot less.

lips said:
A better question is if Grind is a 9, in what ways does it succeed pgr4 and fm2? It must be thrilling and original and new to impress these guys. All this time I have to listen to how mgo is superior to mgs4 because it will be on xbox 360. please start explaining to me how this is true, aswell.

Where did you here that?:lol :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
lips said:
All this time I have to listen to how mgo is superior to mgs4 because it will be on xbox 360. please start explaining to me how this is true, aswell.
Good job.

J-Rzez said:
For obvious reasons of course. Unfortunately, Edge began lowering itself into the same sea of mediocrity as other publications come their H3 review. The 10 GTA4 got solidified that thought. They are no better than the other clown shoe publications out there anymore.

Unfortunately, the media brought this upon themselves though that print mags are full of fail anymore, and many people want to see previews and footage of the game played, rather than the insignificant score they love to slap onto the highest bidder.

Did I play the game? No. But you read that review summary and how could you think any other way other than a near flawless game? I mean, they gave other games that are riddled with flaws 10's, why the exception now? Unless, cutscenes and deep story are now frowned upon and the simpletons are having their way. I love there being some meat to stories, and well direction, but apparently it's all about "Damn, there's some bugs" - "Shit, let's rock them!" and there's your story.

Man, threads about big name games are like the twilight zone between the living and the dead, the real and the unreal, the serious and the joke post.

Cirekiller said:
The reviews are starting to get rediculous. I don't really care but it just seem like some games get free passes and other games get nitpicked with every little thing.

And to those bitching about long cutscenes as long as there skippable who gives a shit if you think it's not worth your time to watch it just skip it and keep playing the game.

I think GTAIV deserves the score it got and but I can point out a lot of flaws with it. Why the double standards?

This is a great point. Why is it that GTA IV had many flaws, even holdover flaws from the past games, yet it is awarded 10's? Kojima has intentionally gone out of his way to add different things to the fourth Metal Gear game, but GTA IV was just a rehash that was hyped through the roof and was given 10's freely and unfairly.

Also, why in the hell has the multiplayer portion of Metal Gear 4 not been mentioned in all of the reviews I've read? That would bump the game up to at least a 9, if not a perfect 10. I notice that they went out of their way to mention the multiplayer in GTA IV.

Also, some of you should read other reviews because Edge seems to be full of shit. Edge says that the game can't be played by newcomers and it's nothing but fan service, but other reviews are saying that the game recaps the other three Metal Gear games to the point that anyone can understand what is going on.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
what are the highlights from the GRID review?

thx

xaosslug

Roxas said:
- Opening act is the best part
- Not a game for MGS outsiders
- two cut-scenes near the 90 minute mark
- The Beauty and the Beast Unit are in the shadow of the MGS3 Cobra Unit.
- Camera flow effortless between 1st and 3rd person view
- Control system has "at last" the ideal balance of intuitvness and range.
- Game can be played for months rather than days.
- MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers (??)
- But is very faithful to its fans and delivers without equal in so many ways.

the fuck? Don't these sort of cancel each other out? :lol

Uncooked

Banned
Absinthe said:
This is a great point. Why is it that GTA IV had many flaws, even holdover flaws from the past games, yet it is awarded 10's? Kojima has intentionally gone out of his way to add different things to the fourth Metal Gear game, but GTA IV was just a rehash that was hyped through the roof and was given 10's freely and unfairly.

Also, why in the hell has the multiplayer portion of Metal Gear 4 not been mentioned in all of the reviews I've read? That would bump the game up to at least a 9, if not a perfect 10. I notice that they went out of their way to mention the multiplayer in GTA IV.

Also, some of you should read other reviews because Edge seems to be full of shit. Edge says that the game can't be played by newcomers and it's nothing but fan service, but other reviews are saying that the game recaps the other three Metal Gear games to the point that anyone can understand what is going on.

This review must have ruined your day. I don't think an 8 is that bad to be honest, I mean the whole point of reviews is so you knew whether or not you want to buy it, right? If it got equal scores to the previous MGS games that you love so much, then this is indeed a great day for MGS fans! The only reason I can see one getting mad over this is petty jealousy because another console's games got higher scores.

Uncooked said:
This review must have ruined your day. I don't think an 8 is that bad to be honest, I mean the whole point of reviews is so you knew whether or not you want to buy it, right? If it got equal scores to the previous MGS games that you love so much, then this is indeed a great day for MGS fans! The only reason I can see one getting mad over this is petty jealousy because another console's games got higher scores.

It didn't ruin my day, but they absolutely have to award scores based on the same criteria. I haven't seen a single review from anyone that convinces me that GTA IV is a 10. Not a single one. All I've seen is, "Hey, this game has many flaws, even obvious ones, but we're going to award it a 10 just because we can." And then another high profile game comes out and it isn't held under the same standards.

Uncooked

Banned
Absinthe said:
It didn't ruin my day, but they absolutely have to award scores based on the same criteria. I haven't seen a single review from anyone that convinces me that GTA IV is a 10. Not a single one. All I've seen is, "Hey, this game has many flaws, even obvious ones, but we're going to award it a 10 just because we can." And then another high profile game comes out and it isn't held under the same standards.

So you aren't going to buy it then?

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Yes some Grid details please.

BTW Edge is one of the few resources for thoughtful, well articulated reviews. Them along with Eurogamer and Gametrailers are the only professional opinions I'll bother listening to. I wouldn't push any of these guys off a cliff for giving one game or another a disagreeable score. In a field where integrity, let alone intelligence, is in limited supply, some of you may want to rethink your opinions considering the alternative you're unwittingly clamoring for is reviews to be yet more fan service and PR.

Ganondorfo

But how does eurogamer and edge have the first reviews of metal gear solid 4 (normally they are very late with their reviews).

Really, where are the reviews of 1up/ign/gameinformer/kikizo/gamesradar/egm/gamespot/ntsc uk?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
xaosslug said:
the fuck? Don't these sort of cancel each other out? :lol

no, for example:

---- expectations

--- delivery
--- everyone else

(Not saying this is necessarily an accurate claim about the game)

Turk

It seems that the written review of MGS4 from Edge and Eurogamer meet the requirements of a 9 (Excellent game in it's genre). They seem like 8's that want to be high 8's but can't be 9's in the reviewers eyes. Shame :(

Prawntoast

Neo Member
Geezer said:
Edge have a heavy UK developer bias. DIRT is probably truthfully a 7 or 8 on the Edge scale.

That's why they gave Haze a 5, because they love UK developers :D

"Haze is a distinctly unflattering addition to PlayStation 3's library, embarassingly reminiscent of the previous generation." - Edge 190

Definate UK bias there...no doubt. :lol

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
RubberJohnny said:
I think this'll be like Halo 3, it'll sell a shit load of software but not much hardware, because just as people bought a 360 because they knew it would have Halo 3 on it, people have already bought PS3s because they knew MGS4 would come out on it.

Err. Halo 3 is the one game this generation that caused a decent jump in hardware

Ynos Yrros said:
Sure.

Another thought, if there are two 90 minutes cutscenes, then that makes it 3 hours put together, meaning that 2 cut scenes take up 1/3 of the entire cut scene length in the game.

We know that cut scenes are spread out, so you get one in about 2 hours of gameplay, let's say that the intro and ending are the long ones, that would mean that between the 20 hours long gameplay you have 6 hours of cut scenes, spread between every hour or two, that would put average cut scene length at about 5 minutes.

5 minutes people, between every hour or two of gameplay.

My math may be wrong, but I calculated 20 hours gameplay, 6 hours cut-scenes, as 18 minutes of cut scenes per hour.

AniHawk

ComputerNerd said:
My math may be wrong, but I calculated 20 hours gameplay, 6 hours cut-scenes, as 18 minutes of cut scenes per hour.

The 6 hours of cutscenes only happen when you exclude the two 90 minute cutscenes, or about three hours.

If the game clock reads 20 hours by the time you finish the game (which is what I'm guessing they're going off of here), including cutscenes, it would average to about 27 minutes of cutscenes for every hour of the game you play.

If it's 20 hours of gameplay AND 9 hours of cutscenes, then that averages to 18 minutes and 37 seconds of cutscenes per hour of gameplay.

So it looks like about 1/3-1/2 of the game will be cutscenes.

AniHawk said:
The 6 hours of cutscenes only happen when you exclude the two 90 minute cutscenes, or about three hours.

If the game clock reads 20 hours by the time you finish the game (which is what I'm guessing they're going off of here), including cutscenes, it would average to about 27 minutes of cutscenes for every hour of the game you play.

If it's 20 hours of gameplay AND 9 hours of cutscenes, then that averages to 18 minutes and 37 seconds of cutscenes per hour of gameplay.

Depending on how you play. Metal Gear playtimes vary tremendously depending on the difficulty, how stealthy you play, and how experimental you are.

I'll spend a large amount of time messing around with the AI, gear, and weapons.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Prawntoast said:
That's why they gave Haze a 5, because they love UK developers :D

"Haze is a distinctly unflattering addition to PlayStation 3's library, embarassingly reminiscent of the previous generation." - Edge 190

Definate UK bias there...no doubt. :lol

Well I took a little survey of 10 randomly selected UK developed games and 10 games not developed in the UK. For games made in the UK, Edge rated an average of 1.2% higher than the Gamerankings average for those games. Foreign developed games received much harsher marks, at an average of 14.5% lower than the Gamerankings average. A total difference of 15.7%. Yes I'm pathetic for doing this, but I was bored and always thought Edge was UK biased so I thought I'd try to find out. They're still excellently written reviews.

GauntletFan said:
Wow. You totally exposed them there :lol
Ugh, read the post? UK developed games were not scored as harsh when compared to the GameRankings average.

I have questions over how the 10 games were selected, and on top of that a sample size of 10 is not very effective.

Really gotta disagree strongly about the list of EDGE 8's being better than the EDGE 10's. Aside from Super Metroid and Baldur's Gate 2, none of those games really belong on the 10 list, IMO.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Visualante said:
Ugh, read the post? UK developed games were not scored as harsh when compared to the GameRankings average.

I have questions over how the 10 games were selected, and on top of that a sample size of 10 is not very effective.

Obviously it's not conclusive, but it doesn't look good, either! Not one game developed outside the UK was ranked at or above the gamerankings average. Compared to 8 out of 10 UK developed games being rated at or above the same average.

If we adjust the current scores to account for the (alleged) pro-UK bias, it would put Grid at 88.8% and MGS 4 at 94.5%. Now hopefully the beleaguered MGS fans can cling to that and have some peace today!:lol

sneaky77

SapientWolf said:

is hard to find common sense on these threads i applaud you sir

AniHawk said:

The entire game is reported to take 29 hours to finish. About 9 hours is reported to be cut scenes, that leaves 20 hours of just gameplay. If we assume that the longest cut scenes are the intro/epilogue, then gameplay is intervened by 6 hours of cut scenes (20 + 6). The cut scenes are reported to be rather far from each other (one every hour or so).

Top Bottom