• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest EDGE Scores (MGS4, LostWinds, Haze etc)

SapientWolf said:
It looks like a 5 is actually an average score, and not a 7 like in most publications. You could probably add 1 to every score to get the IGN equivalent.

Well spotted!

Also, what does the review actually say?

Wonder if my copy arrives today.

eso76 said:
oh, ok, so that confirms edge scores are based on something else than the games quality.

mgs3 = best game last gen and one of the best games ever.
also MGS3 >>>>>>>>>>>>> MGS2

Man, you guys are more insane than GameCube fans.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
akachan ningen said:
I see all these places giving mgs4 10s and all these others giving it 8s and I don't really give a shit. I just hope sales go up because of all this controversy.

Well many of those 10s came from offical Playstation magazines... Just saying.

IGN UK gave it 9.9 though.

duckroll

We've been having all sorts of database issues lately. If you hit post and the server seems to not be responding, it's best not to click again and just wait, or open another window to load the thread and see if the post has already registered...

Shahadan

WTF I entered this thread expecting to see people tell "lol so MGS4 is a good as Boom Blox" and they talk about Grid.

Cdammen

Can anyone who has the magazine make a short summary of the Burnout Paradise DLC article? What it will contain, release dates and such?

Grayman

flipping_heck said:
tbh, i was expecting a 9 from EDGE, especially given the amount of coverage that the game received in the past, what with exclusive interviews and sneak peeks and stuff.

That said, 8 is a great score, should be worth looking into, and despite not hitting the 9/10, shouldn't deter gamers from buying the game.
8 may be a great score but they gave GTA IV a 10. I am scared of what kind of "good game" is 2 worse than GTA.

Roxas said:
- Opening act is the best part
- Not a game for MGS outsiders
- two cut-scenes near the 90 minute mark
- The Beauty and the Beast Unit are in the shadow of the MGS3 Cobra Unit.
- Camera flow effortless between 1st and 3rd person view
- Control system has "at last" the ideal balance of intuitvness and range.
- Game can be played for months rather than days.
- MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers (??)
- But is very faithful to its fans and delivers without equal in so many ways.
The 90 minute cutscene better not be in the first hour. That bugged me a lot about MGS3. I guess this will be a game I get a copy of and leave for a few hours or a day until I can play it.

Months rather than days is interesting. Do drebin points carry over or is the game just that awesome?

Not being the game it could have been... I have no idea what that means.

34ysmqq.png
2m2hoqg.png

Grayman said:
8 may be a great score but they gave GTA IV a 10. I am scared of what kind of "good game" is 2 worse than GTA.

I don't like the GTA series but IMO, GTA4 deserves the 10/10 it got praised all around, despite a few daft design choices, it really is the best GTA game in the series, packed full of content and little pieces here and there that makes me smile.

Ganondorfo

Ah come on, metal gear franchise did never get gta scores from critics.
But I know this: I want to play metal gear solid 4 the next week and I don't have the desire to play gta 4 anymore.
I am thinking that metal gear solid 4 will average to a 84% from metacritics/gamerankings (which will be very good, so don't be angry), not that I care, because my favourite games aren't 90+games.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ynos Yrros said:
Wasn't the 90 minutes cut scene a rumor started by a CVG which was later debunked by multiple sources?

Yeah, even TTP said he didn't encounter such a thing. Let alone two of them.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'd expect better from Edge not to mention this 90 minute cutscene bullshit, it's already been said that there is one 60 minute cutscene
as the ending

StuBurns

Banned
Kagari said:
He didn't play the full game though did he? I remember Payton saying they didn't show the journalists everything, just all the gameplay.

Kagari said:
Makes you question the review, doesn't it? And doesn't it prove that MTVblog article was BS, since the magazine mentions both installation/load times and cut scene length?

FUD goes round.

"... But it is faithful to its fans, its premise and its heart, delivering an experience that is, in so many ways, without equal. In years to come, as people stand before the grave marked 'Tactical Espionage Action', they'll feel little choice but to salute."

I think MGS3 got an 8. It's a good score. And certainly shouldn't dissuade fans.

Kunan

What's up with the 90 min cutscene on-again/off-again info? EDGE is never one to make up stuff like that. Is not mentioning them part of the NDA?

Deepblue

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Makes you question the review, doesn't it? And doesn't it prove that MTVblog article was BS, since the magazine mentions both installation/load times and cut scene length?

FUD goes round.
Except TTP said Konami DID ask them not to talk about those in previews.

MaddenNFL64

Awesome score for Lost Winds!

Guys, if you haven't yet, gotta play this game. I wonder why it took so long for a platforming concept like that to come on the Wii. Seems so natural now.

Top Bottom