• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest EDGE Scores (MGS4, LostWinds, Haze etc)

Roxas

syllogism said:
What do they say about Civrev

- Play area has been reduced, from 20 cities down to about 5-10.
- Single player has 4 other civilizations to play against, again reducing the breadth of the experience but increasing the pace overall.
- D-Pad is used to select units, and anologue stick to move them around the map.
- Bumper buttons provide city management data and diplomatic relationships, while the face buttons ends your turn.
- Perfectly suited to its platforms (note that they reviewed the PS3 version)

Hunahan

Banned
Roxas said:
- two cut-scenes near the 90 minute mark

Holy shit.

I wasn't going to comment on any of the MGS stuff, but...wow....that's like a feature length film.

No wonder they didn't want reviewers to talk about this. There are very few gamers who are going to find that tolerable.

I'm just.....wow. 90 minutes.

Hunahan said:
Holy shit.

I wasn't going to comment on any of the MGS stuff, but...wow....that's like a feature length film.

No wonder they didn't want reviewers to talk about this. There are very few gamers who are going to find that tolerable.

I'm just.....wow. 90 minutes.
Any fan of MGS is shiting themselves right now because their mind is trying to figure out how much awesome is packed into those 90 minutes.

People really shouldn't be concerned with the score. You all know that MGS4 is going to be amazing right?

That's all you need to know.

I also agree, I couldn't care less how long the cutscenes are. I always enjoyed watching them in previous Metal Gear games and I know I'll enjoy them now. People hoping to have Snake's story done justice in what might be the last Metal Gear game (or maybe not) should be jumping for joy at how many minutes of cutscenes there appears to be in this game.

pswii60

dr3upmushroom said:
Any fan of MGS is shiting themselves right now because their mind is trying to figure out how much awesome is packed into those 90 minutes.
Basically. The ultimate fan service. But... can you pause, rewind etc? I wouldn't want to accidentally press X and then miss the rest, or have to go out for something and miss it.

EDIT:
BigBoss said:
There aren't any 90 minute cutscenes, this has been debunked multiple times.
Edge is lying?
ymmv said:
If it's an Edge review:

UK > Japan

Hyped UK games always get +1.
So if GRID had been hyped it would've got a 10? Just stop these fucking stupid score discussions already. It's the review text that matters.

BigBoss

pswii60 said:
Basically. The ultimate fan service. But... can you pause, rewind etc? I wouldn't want to accidentally press X and then miss the rest, or have to go out for something and miss it.

You can pause cutscenes, you can pause and rewind codec conversations.

Cartman86

Banned
As with every MGS game no matter what the fuck anyone else says if you like MGS this game will probably be a 10 for you. MGS3 was not regarded as highly as MGS2 score wise and yet MGS2 is hated on by many casual MGS players these days. I know it's annoying that not everyone enjoys MGS, but you know you will love MGS4. Just remember...

EUROGAMER
MGS2 - 9
MGS3 - 8
MGS4 - 8

EDGE
MGS3 - 8
MGS4 - 8

Consistant. Shouldn't be worried at all. Though don't hype yourself up too much.

Deepblue said:
Except TTP said Konami DID ask them not to talk about those in previews.
That's not reviews, and it was apparently related to printed magazines, and it was pure BS because we have this review. So I was right, they were spreading FUD.

This conclusion reads like it is one of the best games ever actually, Edge redeemed, maybe they get paid for scores but still write honest reviews. Or just have it in tradition not to give more than 8 to an MGS game.

Gamepro:

"I've completed the game twice, and am the author of the forthcoming [GamePro] review," Shuman said. "Ninety-minute-long cinemas in MGS4 sounds like an exaggeration. Like the other MGS games, MGS4 definitely has a cinematic quality. And yes, some of the cut-scenes in the game are elaborate and occasionally lengthy. But not a one, to my recollection, even approaches 90 minutes."

Maybe there are some cut scenes that are longer depending on what you do? Like a secret ending or something.

nextmonthaug.jpg

Tr4nce

Iron Man, a 2. Yeah, it's a shame but obviously there is never going to come a good licensed game from a movie. I downloaded the demo and the game sucked indeed, while it could have been so cool. But the graphics suck, the controls are annoying and the gameplay isn't fun because all of that. Too damn bad.

Wait wtf :eek:

That's 2 cutscenes COMBINED near the 90 minute mark right? Or is it 2 cutscenes that are both 90 minutes each?

If so then all I gotta say is wow, but I welcome it :D

I originally thought they meant the game had 90 minutes worth of cutscenes total.

BigBoss

CowboyAstronaut said:
Wait wtf :eek:

That's 2 cutscenes COMBINED near the 90 minute mark right? Or is it 2 cutscenes that are both 90 minutes each?

If so then all I gotta say is wow, but I welcome it :D

I originally thought they meant the game had 90 minutes worth of cutscenes total.

8-9 hours of cutscenes.

Very glad to see the CivRev score, and this quote from the review in particular bodes well for the game;

"While the streamlined and brisk approach that brushes over some of the minutiae of the previous games might cause some PC fans to baulk, Revolution has concentrated rather than diluted the Civ experience, creating an expression of the concept that's perfectly suited to it's platform."

nli10

Roxas said:
- Play area has been reduced, from 20 cities down to about 5-10.
- Single player has 4 other civilizations to play against, again reducing the breadth of the experience but increasing the pace overall.
- D-Pad is used to select units, and anologue stick to move them around the map.
- Bumper buttons provide city management data and diplomatic relationships, while the face buttons ends your turn.
- Perfectly suited to its platforms (note that they reviewed the PS3 version)

Sounds cool, but the DS version was always going to be the most interesting to me. I can already play PC/Mac Civ at home.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Who gives a fuck MORE METAL GEAR = AWESOME, its like a good book, when your into the last 20 pages you want MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!!!!!!! or like a beer, you have one, then another, then another etc

Haunted

Great scores for Grid and Lost Winds.

Good score for MGS4.

Cool cover, awesome caution sign on the back. :lol

Next month... Black? Alan Wake? Doom?

There's hours of cut scenes, and 20 hours of gameplay, for 60€ this game puts most other games to shame. You could skip all the cut and you still get a game longer than all 3 "best" games from last year put together.

And if the gameplay is this amazing, and they reached the perfect spot with controls, then how come the game didn't score higher?

Just a thought.

legend166

90 minute cutscenes?

Well, there goes any chance I'll ever play that game. Holy crap.

Holy crap.

Even at half that I'll never touch it.

legend166

Ynos Yrros said:
There's hours of cut scenes, and 20 hours of gameplay, for 60€ this game puts most other games to shame. You could skip all the cut and you still get a game longer than all 3 "best" games from last year put together.

And if the gameplay is this amazing, and they reached the perfect spot with controls, then how come the game didn't score higher?

Just a thought.

If I was a reviewer, and a 90 minute cutscene came up, I'd give the game a 0/10. I'm in shock here.

Hahahahaha.

Ok, these two comments
-not a game for metal gear outsiders
- 90 minute cutscenes

seem to have been completely contradicted by several other reviews. The first, ok thats opinion, but WTF is up with this 90 minute cs talk.

Mideon

Nice scores, I will have to wait and play MGS4 to see if it is worth more than an 8, but im betting an 8 will be spot on since the only review I have ever thought was crazy in Edge is the 10 they gave Halo 3 when at the most it should have been a 9 if not an 8.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
the funny thing about the two 90-min-cutscenes issue is that all of the people who're aware of it will wait for it while playing the game, prolly with some snacks, some will drop the controller only and kick back and relax on a comfy sofa, just to discover that there was an active event they missed, OR that the scene was really short and there's a boss battle right after it

Kunan

Roxas said:
About this, on the opposite page to this there is a white page, with a small bunch of Three-Leaf Clover's in the bottom right corner. Anyone have ideas?
It's part of the cover designs, ex-Clover devs are making Mad World.

Thomper

Roxas said:
About this, on the opposite page to this there is a white page, with a small bunch of Three-Leaf Clover's in the bottom right corner. Anyone have ideas?
The page opposite to the 'next month'-page usually references the first page inside the magazine. The three-leaf clover references Clover Studios, the guys who became Platinum Games, and they made Mad World.

legend166 said:
If I was a reviewer, and a 90 minute cutscene came up, I'd give the game a 0/10. I'm in shock here.

Hahahahaha.
Sure.

Another thought, if there are two 90 minutes cutscenes, then that makes it 3 hours put together, meaning that 2 cut scenes take up 1/3 of the entire cut scene length in the game.

We know that cut scenes are spread out, so you get one in about 2 hours of gameplay, let's say that the intro and ending are the long ones, that would mean that between the 20 hours long gameplay you have 6 hours of cut scenes, spread between every hour or two, that would put average cut scene length at about 5 minutes.

5 minutes people, between every hour or two of gameplay.

Truant

antiloop said:
Before you have even seen the cut-scene?

Yes. I'm sure the cutscenes are great, but it's just copying film. It feels backwards to me. Without trying to be pretentious, I guess I'm expecting better storytelling.

Top Bottom