• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest EDGE Scores (MGS4, LostWinds, Haze etc)

Ynos Yrros said:
People love ignoring the fact that there was an MGO beta which even let you play as Snake, so there are thousands of people who got their hands on the gameplay and controls of MGS4.

Try harder, must be annoying to know that gameplay is a very substantial part of MGS4, more so than in previous MGS games.

So now, playing the MGO BETA gives you the ability to review/judge MGS4?
:lol I'm outta here. Please don't use the word 'logic' again, though.

1-D_FTW

gofreak said:
Civ? One Sitting?* Does not compute.

*Unless you're talking about the 6-8 hour "sunday afternoon" variety of Civ session. Oh, it's been so long..

Read an interview a while back that talked about that very length (6-8 hours as opposed to 30 - 40 hours for PC.) I'm not sure if those PC numbers are accurate, as I've never gotten into the Civ series because it just seemed too intimidating. CivRev excites me because of this. I'm definitely part of their target audience.

mr_bishiuk said:
It seems to me that this game is designed for the hardcore MGS fans and isn't going to be the system seller Sony wanted it to be i'm afraid.

Which is why I'm puzzled by all the Mangod talk now. 1UP was really talking about how they brought in Shawn Payton (?) to make the game more west friendly and all that. As somebody else noted, I thought they were giving it the RE4 treatment. 1Up/Mangod really had a misleading sales job. Nobody outside of an MGS fan is gonna wanna play this.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DevelopmentArrested said:
Are you even reading what he's trying to type?

Why are people using review scores of other games from the magazine issue and the magszines history to prove something, you do know every review is not written by the same person right.:lol

Kafel said:
How come they don't have anything about Banjo, VP 2 ... ?
This issue is super super big, so they're probably leaving it on the backburner until closer to release. (they haven't covered Fable 2 in an extended preview either yet)
I imagine they want to give it a cover as well.

I was thinking the might 9 Grid. congratulations Codemasters, Frontier, Kojima Productions

Regarding the people complaining about the score, a preview in Edge does not indicate what sort of score they will give it. More often than not they're written by different people.

DevelopmentArrested said:

I don't know dude maybe because the gameplay and basic control functions are probably the same? That sounds logical to me. :lol ?

Walshicus

Ynos Yrros said:
No reason to even bother I guess. I hate finding out that I'm wasting time.

You sir, are the best thing about Metal Gear Solid 4's impending release. Free entertainment even for those of us without PS3s.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Ynos Yrros said:
There's hours of cut scenes, and 20 hours of gameplay, for 60€ this game puts most other games to shame. You could skip all the cut and you still get a game longer than all 3 "best" games from last year put together.
So you've beat Super Mario Galaxy in less than 20 hours and the remaining time was enough to beat Portal and whatever the third game was?

1-D_FTW

Paracelsus said:
And HOW do you know this, exactly?

Because Edge said so?

From real life? People do either love or hate it. I don't know anybody outside of message boards who fall in the love category. And anyone who's even remotely on the fence and hears 60 minute (or if you believe Edge and 90 minute) is gonna end the conversation right there.

JDSN said:
Anything new about Mercs 2 and Madworld?

Edit: Oh, I see this is not about EDGE anymore.

Yeah I want to know more about those two games also. Someone give us the scoop. Mad World look awesome. Finally a 3rd party game I'm Jonesing to play on my Wii.

So Nintendo take all sorts of flack because they produce games which don't confirm to the narrow-minded convention of the industry (even though said titles are still very interactive), but Kojima is held up as an example of all that is right by the Geek Elite even though he expects you to watch, doubtless among myriad others, two cutscenes of campy, Metal Gear style shennanigans which are each almost an HOUR AND A HALF long.

:lol

And don't forget guys GTA4 got a 10 from that great magazine!
GTA4 got a 10 from everywhere, including places that gave MGS4 a 10. Shock!

Plus it deserves it, GTA4 is awesome, but enjoy your populist backlash.

TheDrowningMan said:
So Nintendo take all sorts of flack because they produce games which don't confirm to the narrow-minded convention of the industry (even though said titles are still very interactive), but Kojima is held up as an example of all that is right by the Geek Elite even though he expects you to watch, doubtless among myriad others, two cutscenes of campy, Metal Gear style shennanigans which are each almost an HOUR AND A HALF long.

:lol

OH NO A CINEMATICAL GAME! LET'S ATTACK IT BECAUSE THE INCREDIBLE SAVE THE PRINCESS NINTENDO STORIES ARE ALL I WANT!

Prine

Banned
Great score for MGS4. Im buying a PS3 when its released.

BUT WHAT ABOUT HAZE???

why is everyone ignoring this? Ex-Goldeneye team? This is more proof that these guys were NOT the masterminds behind Goldeneye.

Doak, YOU ARE SLIPPIN

Haze is a piece of shit, confirmed by Edge and EGM. And its a UK company so an Edge 5 is shamfull

fortified_concept said:
OH NO A CINEMATICAL GAME! LET'S ATTACK IT BECAUSE THE INCREDIBLE SAVE THE PRINCESS NINTENDO STORIES ARE ALL I WANT!

Listen, I don't mind. As long as the people who accept this VERY DIFFERENT sort of game accept some of Nintendo's VERY DIFFERENT type of games like Wii Fit, Wii Sports etc. They're all valid, they all have a right to exist as they are, they all provide different experiences. I just want some fucking consistency.

westical

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
People love ignoring the fact that there was an MGO beta which even let you play as Snake, so there are thousands of people who got their hands on the gameplay and controls of MGS4.

Try harder, must be annoying to know that gameplay is a very substantial part of MGS4, more so than in previous MGS games.

Well shit, I played the Halo 3 beta and knew it was an 11/10 straight away!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Prine said:
why is everyone ignoring this? Ex-Goldeneye team? This is more proof that these guys were NOT the masterminds behind Goldeneye.

It's not a natural law that if you make one awesome game, every game of yours thereafter will be awesome.

Free Radical was formed by a portion of the goldeneye team. That original team no longer exists. Even if it did, there'd be no guarantees about their output just because they made goldeneye.

TheDrowningMan said:
Listen, I don't mind. As long as the people who accept this VERY DIFFERENT sort of game accept some of Nintendo's VERY DIFFERENT type of games like Wii Fit, Wii Sports etc. They're all valid, they all have a right to exist as they are, they all provide different experiences. I just want some fucking consistency.

It's not a very different game. It's a franchise with great presentation and story while it retains the ingenious gameplay. Most new Nintendo franchises are merely games so your comparison is kinda terrible.

Mash

So are you guys just going around in a pack lamblasting any non perfect score and the people who aren't challenging the credibility of previously well liked sources? It's really surreal I logged onto GAF yesterday morning and it was the exact same people saying the exact same things, are you taking shifts?

The fact of the matter is, MGS has been said by every review to be the best one yet, which means fans of it are going to love it to pieces, and that includes myself and others who aren't defending it like our first born, whether you believe us or not. Reviews are being critical because it's a long running series and has a highly developed story and gameplay formula. That means heightened attention to faults and imperfections where as first iteration games like Boom Blox will be uncompared.

"When we ask whether the underwhelming commercial response to his previous games would mean he would consider sacrificing an amount of his artistic vision in order to create something more appealing to a wider audience, there was some lengthy discussion between Ueda and his ever-present translator (read: instructed to keep him quiet)
"I am aware of the artistic sense of the product I'm producing but that is not the goal throughout," says Ueda. "That's just part of the game's content, but I'm also more interested that the product will be well played in the future. I guess we are currently looking at a lifespan of two and a half years for a game in Japan, whereas I'm hoping for the consumer to be able to play this content over and over."
And with SOTC starting life as a network game, it's not a stretch to speculate that this might be on way in which Ueda extends his next game's life.

jrricky

Banned
I liked snake but I never got into any of the MGS gameplay. Played bits of MGS3 at my cousin and realized it wasnt for me.

But almost 90 minutes a cutscene. So half the game is cutscenes and a little over half is gameplay.:lol :lol

Wow definitely not for me.

Mash said:
So are you guys just going around in a pack lamblasting any non perfect score and the people who aren't challenging the credibility of previously well liked sources? It's really surreal I logged onto GAF yesterday morning and it was the exact same people saying the exact same things, are you taking shifts?

The fact of the matter is, MGS has been said by every review to be the best one yet, which means fans of it are going to love it to pieces, and that includes myself and others who aren't defending it like our first born, whether you believe us or not. Reviews are being critical because it's a long running series and has a highly developed story and gameplay formula. That means heightened attention to faults and imperfections where as first iteration games like Boom Blox will be uncompared.

I challenged the credibility of Edge the day I started playing GTA4. It's when it sunk to me that the once impartial Edge has become a joke. I'd cheerfully accept an 8 from the old Edge but not from the idiots who've been rating GTA4 and many other games a 9 or 10 lately.

RubberJohnny said:
I could have a lot of fun with this guy.
fail. for so many reasons.

I love how people on GAF feel that they can review and score a game before actually playing it :lol

Nice to see Lostwinds get some recognition though, the score is spot on IMO (Having actually played and finished the game myself)

Brashnir

Nuclear Muffin said:
I love how people on GAF feel that they can review and score a game before actually playing it :lol

It's obvious that most gaffers have their review scores written for games as soon as they announce which platform they're on.

Issun23

Visualante said:
"When we ask whether the underwhelming commercial response to his previous games would mean he would consider sacrificing an amount of his artistic vision in order to create something more appealing to a wider audience, there was some lengthy discussion between Ueda and his ever-present translator (read: instructed to keep him quiet)
"I am aware of the artistic sense of the product I'm producing but that is not the goal throughout," says Ueda. "That's just part of the game's content, but I'm also more interested that the product will be well played in the future. I guess we are currently looking at a lifespan of two and a half years for a game in Japan, whereas I'm hoping for the consumer to be able to play this content over and over."
And with SOTC starting life as a network game, it's not a stretch to speculate that this might be on way in which Ueda extends his next game's life.

Is that from the magazine?

fortified_concept said:
I challenged the credibility of Edge the day I started playing GTA4. It's when it sunk to me that the once impartial Edge has become a joke. I'd cheerfully accept an 8 from the old Edge but not from the idiots who've been rating GTA4 and many other games a 9 or 10 lately.

Yeah I agree, once they gave Halo 3 and GTAIV 10s then I really decided that I don't care what reviews are like anymore.

StuBurns

Banned
Choke on the Magic said:
EG=8/10 Edge=8/10. What exactly is wrong with 8/10? Seriously. Can anyone explain that to me?
It's a very good EDGE score. 10/10 is reserved for what they consider incredible, and they only give it very rarely. 9/10 is outstanding, 8/10 not quite. It's not a bad score at all.

Choke on the Magic said:
EG=8/10 Edge=8/10. What exactly is wrong with 8/10? Seriously. Can anyone explain that to me?
- Camera flow effortless between 1st and 3rd person view
- Control system has "at last" the ideal balance of intuitvness and range.
- Game can be played for months rather than days.

30 hour long game, review not including multiplayer portion, game gets an 8.

Narag

Ynos Yrros said:
- Camera flow effortless between 1st and 3rd person view
- Control system has "at last" the ideal balance of intuitvness and range.
- Game can be played for months rather than days.

30 hour long game, review not including multiplayer portion, game gets an 8.

Isn't MGO its own game moreso than it was with Subsistence? I really don't know how it is working this time around.

JudgeN

Why didn't the review include the multiplayer portion? Last time i checked it came with my MGS4 purchase and it should be include in the score of the game WTF Edge.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Edge have a heavy UK developer bias. DIRT is probably truthfully a 7 or 8 on the Edge scale.

Choke on the Magic said:
Because a game can't be considered 'GAEM OF TEH FOREVER!' if there games that reviewers give higher scores to, duh.

weehomer

Hopefully Lego Batman is better than Lego Indy. I liked the Lego Star Wars.

Oh, and stuburns is correct. MG4 getting an 8 is nothing to sneeze at. It's a respectable rating. Anyone who reads Edge regularly should know this.

Walshicus

fortified_concept said:
The greatest "cinematic game" of our time - Half Life 2 - doesn't need cutscenes. The best of the recent "cinematic games" don't have 90 minute cutscenes... Cutscenes are not essential to the "cinematic" style.

Why didn't the review include the multiplayer portion? Last time i checked it came with my MGS4 purchase and it should be include in the score of the game WTF Edge.

I don't think it's been mentioned anywhere in this thread that the multiplayer wasn't being reviewed. Either Sorry Sony is talking about Eurogamer or he's fabricating.

Top Bottom