• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest EDGE Scores (MGS4, LostWinds, Haze etc)

Ynos Yrros said:
- Camera flow effortless between 1st and 3rd person view
- Control system has "at last" the ideal balance of intuitvness and range.
- Game can be played for months rather than days.

30 hour long game, review not including multiplayer portion, game gets an 8.

You forgot to mention the negatives which bring the game down from the 9.5 it deserves to an 8.

Sir Fragula said:
The greatest "cinematic game" of our time - Half Life 2 - doesn't need cutscenes. The best of the recent "cinematic games" don't have 90 minute cutscenes... Cutscenes are not essential to the "cinematic" style.

In your opinion. Imo they are essential and Lost Odyssey is a good example of that for this gen. Half life had a nice story but its overall its presentation wasn't that good.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Sir Fragula said:
The greatest "cinematic game" of our time - Half Life 2 - doesn't need cutscenes. The best of the recent "cinematic games" don't have 90 minute cutscenes... Cutscenes are not essential to the "cinematic" style.
Half Life 2 isn't close to the greatest cinematic game of our time. The game isn't very movie-like at all. At all. Its designed to not be cinematic.

Like, specifically designed to not be cinematic.

Greatest cinematic game of our time is probably Mafia or one of the MGS games.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - 8
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - 8
The Curse of Monkey Island - 8
Devil May Cry 3 - 8
Doom - 8
ICO - 8
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 8
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 8
Super Metroid - 8
System Shock 2 - 8
Thief - 8

MGS4 is in far better company with an 8 than it is sharing a spot with GTAIV.

zoukka

Ahh Edges score really implies that MGS4 still is a traditional "MGS" experience. I was afraid that it would turn out to be too much of a sandbox structure with huge levels. I expected Snake Eater to have these enormous free jungle-sections but it turned out to be really compressed and simplified. Which only served the gameplay and immersion for me.

It's really good we have some reasonable criticism on these AAA-titles. It's my most wanted game of this gen, but I really don't give a shit about these reviews that mention only the good things. No game's perfect.

People who cry about these 8/10 scores are effectively tainting the release of one of the finest games this gen. Suck it up.

BobsRevenge said:
Half Life 2 isn't close to the greatest cinematic game of our time. The game isn't very movie-like at all. At all. Its designed to not be cinematic.

Like, specifically designed to not be cinematic.

Greatest cinematic game of our time is probably Mafia or one of the MGS games.

yeah, half life 2 has a great story...it is not even close to the greatest cinematic game...it doesnt even feel that cinematic at all.

Uncharted and Crysis however are very cinematic...crysis because of seemless integration....the halo jump at the beginning is amazing

Edge is more critical in its reviews than most, but they certainly have their own biases....I dont actually think their reviews are particularly great, but this is because they contain very little content and are too brief to go indepth

BeeDog

EviLore said:
Devil May Cry 3 - 8
Doom - 8
ICO - 8
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 8
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 8
Super Metroid - 8
System Shock 2 - 8
Thief - 8

/bow

Fucking Edge, I didn't mind their 8 for MGS4, but 8 for Baldur's Gate II!???! I'll never care for them anymore! *sob*

Joe211

yep but when you know all the hard work they put in their product and how you can get emotional when playing their game it's depressing to see an 8 from a so called journalist.

BobsRevenge

DevelopmentArrested said:
:lol

MGS4 could be 29 hours of cinematics and 1 hour of gameplay and a lot of people in this thread would defend that.
If you're laughing because you don't think Mafia has the best presented cinematic style and story in video gaming then :lol right back atcha. On the PC its a masterpiece of cinematic gaming and I've never played another game that's topped it for emotional impact or just great storytelling in a cinematic style. Playing it feels like you're in Goodfellas. Its absolutely awesome.

But yeah, if MGS4 was 29 hours of cinematics and 1 hour of gameplay I'd still buy it. I'd just watch it as a television show and be confused when the video stops and I'm expected to do something. :lol :lol

BobsRevenge said:
No, the game just doesn't conform to conventional 'cinematic' concepts, like relinquishing control or the first-person view to tell the story.

I suppose in a way it depends how you define cinematic. But then again if you get too strict then the length of MGS4 is going to stop it falling into the 'cinematic' category as much as H-L2's refusal to remove the player from Freeman's perspective.

EviLore said:
Devil May Cry 3 - 8
Doom - 8
ICO - 8
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 8
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 8
Super Metroid - 8
System Shock 2 - 8
Thief - 8

That is so true. I bow in front of your wisdom.

Mash

Brashnir said:
I believe someone posted earlier that they reviewed the PS3 version.

I'm really eager to see how the DS version ends up I've been on a Civ 4 kick lately and I'm really more looking for a portable version than a console one. Not to shit up the thread but are there any previews or reviews anywhere for Civ DS? Anyone?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
EviLore said:
Devil May Cry 3 - 8
Doom - 8
ICO - 8
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 8
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 8
Super Metroid - 8
System Shock 2 - 8
Thief - 8

Wow... I thought they gave MGS2 9?

EviLore said:
Devil May Cry 3 - 8
Doom - 8
ICO - 8
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 8
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 8
Super Metroid - 8
System Shock 2 - 8
Thief - 8

Hehe if you put it that way I agree with the score...

Grecco

I love the Cover. Mad World is looking to be pretty awesome

Oh and i was hoping the next issue was Starbreezes The Darkness 2

Ynos Yrros said:

30 hour long game, review not including multiplayer portion, game gets an 8.

stubborns said:
It's a very good EDGE score. 10/10 is reserved for what they consider incredible, and they only give it very rarely. 9/10 is outstanding, 8/10 not quite. It's not a bad score at all.

Sounds alright to me. It's not like it's shit score.

In other news, how did Grid get a 9? Fun demo, but nothing that impressed the hell out of me. Was mp amazing or something?

BobsRevenge

proposition said:
No, the game just doesn't conform to conventional 'cinematic' concepts, like relinquishing control or the first-person view to tell the story.

I suppose in a way it depends how you define cinematic. But then again if you get too strict then the length of MGS4 is going to stop it falling into the 'cinematic' category as much as H-L2's refusal to remove the player from Freeman's perspective.
Welll...

I assume the word cinematic comes from the word "cinema". As in a movie. Half Life is specifically designed to not be like a movie. I mean, like you said it depends on how you define it and this is how I define it.

Crysis was very cinematic because it actually played out like a movie. Still never left first person view. Very rarely relinquished control because that's the only way to present certain story elements realistically (in a game design sense).

Amir0x

Banned
Also, Lost Winds is no 8. I got it for free (thanks Anihawk), it's a 6 or 7 or something. It's a unique concept that is painfully unrealized to its full potential. Short and some may say "sweet", but I'd say sort of tangy. It's gotta be expanded upon to be anything more than the serene, flowing platformer that has very little ambition. It's so unchallenging, that its peacefulness runs risk of actually lulling the player to sleep.

Lost Winds 2 should try harder.

That's the most care I could muster for review scores.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
EviLore said:
Devil May Cry 3 - 8
Doom - 8
ICO - 8
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 8
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 8
Super Metroid - 8
System Shock 2 - 8
Thief - 8

Wow, I suppose an 8 isn't bad at all then. :p

BobsRevenge

Joe211 said:
yep this is the future of videogames
Oh definitely not. I'm one of those weird guys who loved all the cinematics in Xenosaga Ep. 1. I eat that shit up. Most people don't.

Seiken said:
Wow... I thought they gave MGS2 9?
There are 3 PS2 exclusives that got a 9 from them if I remember correctly. No PS3 exclusive managed to do that, 4 360 titles, 3 for XBox, 4 for Wii and 3 for GCN.

BobsRevenge said:
Welll...

I assume the word cinematic comes from the word "cinema". As in a movie. Half Life is specifically designed to not be like a movie. I mean, like you said it depends on how you define it and this is how I define it.
Well then do you define The Blair Witch Project as cinematic? It didn't conform to many cinematic conventions.

Walshicus

EviLore said:
Devil May Cry 3 - 8
Doom - 8
ICO - 8
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 8
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 8
Super Metroid - 8
System Shock 2 - 8
Thief - 8

I can see what you're trying to say, but the only games on that list that deserve higher are BG2 and Monkey Island... whereas I can't think of a single Edge 10/10 that I wouldn't agree deserves the ranking, even though I dislike many of them personally. Their 10s to date include the following right?

Code:
Super Mario 64
Gran Turismo
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Halo
Half Life 2
Halo 3
Orange Box
Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto IV

That seems mighty company to me.

EDIT: On second thoughts, I'm not really concerned either way. Review scores haven't shaped a purchasing decision of mine for years. I mean, I play Europa Universalis 3 regularly...

EviLore said:
Devil May Cry 3 - 8
Doom - 8
ICO - 8
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 8
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 8
Super Metroid - 8
System Shock 2 - 8
Thief - 8

interesting.

BobsRevenge

proposition said:
Well then do you define The Blair Witch Project as cinematic? It didn't conform to many cinematic conventions.
Its not cinematic. Its cinema. Its already a damn movie.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sir Fragula said:
Code:
Super Mario 64
Gran Turismo
[B]The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time[/B]
Halo
Half Life 2
Halo 3
Orange Box
Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto IV

That seems mighty company to me.
Bolded game is the only game that deserves a 10 in that list.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Because a single score severely affects your ability to enjoy a game by yourself in your own comfort zone.

You people make me sick.

zoukka said:
See now I think three games deserve it from that list. How can that be?

heh and for me the biggest eyebrow raisers were GTA4 & Halo3. The others having a 10 seemed about right (although Halo1 is a bit debatable)

Yoshichan

zoukka said:
See now I think three games deserve it from that list. How can that be?
OPINIONNZZZZ?

BobsRevenge said:
Its not cinematic. Its cinema. Its already a damn movie.
So what is your definition of cinematic? Half-Life 2 follows lots of ideas from Blair Witch, but MGS4 doesn't. No movies are 30 hours long, and even the two longest cutcscenes, at over 90 minutes, when combined are longer that the majority of movies.

'Cinematic games' is quite a nebulous concept to me. It's not a very well defined term.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
speedpop said:
Because a single score severely affects your ability to enjoy a game by yourself in your own comfort zone.

You people make me sick.

It's about e-penis waving. "My favoured game is better than your favoured game because it got a XX and yours got a YY"

Devaluing one's own opinion by pointing to a review score as some sort of ultimate judge and jury. Present and defend your own opinion, don't point to reviewers or review consensus to do the job for you.

I can understand the place of reviews with regard to providing buyer advice, but the reason people get so worked up in debates like this online has nothing to do with that.

It's all even more ridiculous when you consider how shady the world of game reviewing is.

Walshicus

proposition said:
So what is your definition of cinematic? Half-Life 2 follows lots of ideas from Blair Witch, but MGS4 doesn't. No movies are 30 hours long, and even the two longest cutcscenes, at over 90 minutes, when combined are longer that the majority of movies.

'Cinematic games' is quite a nebulous concept to me. It's not a very well defined term.

It's like noir; I can define it to myself... but the instant I try and explain it to someone else I fall down.

Scratch that. It's like film noir MUSIC.

FirewalkR

EviLore said:
Devil May Cry 3 - 8
Doom - 8
ICO - 8
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 8
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 8
Super Metroid - 8
System Shock 2 - 8
Thief - 8

I was gonna say "How could you forget Deus Ex???" but I just checked and it got a 9. Should have been a 10 though. An Edge 8 is good anyway, but for all the previews I was hoping for a 9 at least. As for GTA4, once I read their preview one or 2 months before the review issue, I knew they were going to award it a 10.

Dibbz

Wow 8 for MGS4.

Jesus what does a game need to do to get a higher score than that?

Maybe if it was called Grand Theft Halo or something it would get 10's all round.

Rorschach

Roxas said:
- Opening act is the best part
- Not a game for MGS outsiders
- two cut-scenes near the 90 minute mark
- The Beauty and the Beast Unit are in the shadow of the MGS3 Cobra Unit.
- MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers (??)
- But is very faithful to its fans and delivers without equal in so many ways.
Sounds good to me.

Top Bottom