• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest EGM Scores

jjasper

wiiboxstation said:
PS3 launch is 3 months away? how can a game come on a system 3 months from launch and be stated as a launch game and yet not be announced. thats a very "desperate" rumour from EGM
Unlike Capcom some companies don't like to harm sales of their games before they are out. If they annouced it for PS3 right now it might not sell as well on 360 (not saying it would) so why not wait until after the 360 one is released and then annouce the PS3 version.

Mr. Spinnington said:
It's all I have~!

This makes my decision on Dead Rising vs. Okami so much harder! Patience vs. money!

I was actually a bit perplexed by this dilemma, as they couldn't be more different games. Maybe which one to buy first, but not either or.

Anyways, Dead Rising is going to be out in like days, looking out at you from behind your local EBGames representative, saying "But, don't you like killing zombies? And watching desperate humans shoot other desperate humans over cans of soup? And clowns juggling chainsaws?"
And a voice in your head will say "But, but the reviews said it was a short game."
And Dead Rising will reply, "You could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Who cares about the length of a game."
And you will have a very important decision to make.

:D

Amir0x

Banned
Core407 said:
Over 500 weapons, achievements, a cool health system, skill increases through books and a branching questline doesn't sound shallow to me.

Shallow in terms of combat. You pick shit up, you kill shit with it. It's a quick and dirty slaughterfest with tons of variety in what you choose to fight with, but it's clear it's not breaking new ground here. It's a beat 'em up at heart, just with zombies and next-gen flair :)

jjasper said:
Unlike Capcom some companies don't like to harm sales of their games before they are out. If they annouced it for PS3 right now it might not sell as well on 360 (not saying it would) so why not wait until after the 360 one is released and then annouce the PS3 version.

its never happened before. Japanese or Western

GeoramA

wiiboxstation said:
Dead Rising will still sell. if Cars can sell and make 1 million sold, this shall as people love blood and gore
Shadow of Rome is just as brutal and it didn't sell squat.

BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol

I don't know which is worse, coming to that conclusion after only one review, or that this conclusion can be reached from any review at all.
I'm extremely hyped for Dead Rising, but what did you expect?High 9s? The game is extremely shallow and the enemies have no sort of A.I whatsoever. I expect it to play like State of Emergency.

AniHawk

Core407 said:
Over 500 weapons, achievements, a cool health system, skill increases through books and a branching questline doesn't sound shallow to me.
You're right. EGM just hates the 360.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:

<chespace> Quake 4 gets an 8.0!
<chespace> Perfect Dark Zero gets a 9.0!
<chespace> PGR3 gets an infinity-!

*next month*

<Microsoft> Come work on Forza 2 with us.

Bebpo

Banned
Anyhow, if my thread and Amir0xs thread weren't enough, hopefully this EGM score will re-inforce that the idea: BUY OKAMI
GOTY

BenjaminBirdie said:
I was actually a bit perplexed by this dilemma, as they couldn't be more different games. Maybe which one to buy first, but not either or.

Anyways, Dead Rising is going to be out in like days, looking out at you from behind your local EBGames representative, saying "But, don't you like killing zombies? And watching desperate humans shoot other desperate humans over cans of soup? And clowns juggling chainsaws?"
And a voice in your head will say "But, but the reviews said it was a short game."
And Dead Rising will reply, "You could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Who cares about the length of a game."
And you will have a very important decision to make.

:D
Yes, but Okami is so Zelda! I love Zelda! And to no avail, $10 less than Dead Rising... I wish I had a job.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
matrene said:
7.0-8.0 scroes for Dead rising is bad now. That's about what I expected for this type of game.

Were people expecting 9's and 10's for this game or something? o_O

Exactly. For a beat-em-up those are good scores. The game is what you make it. If you want to just do the missions and play the game straight you can or if you want to spend time goofing off and trying different things you can do that too. It sounds like the kind of game where you get out what you put into it.

Core407

Banned
AniHawk said:

Jump to conlcusions mat FTW!

Amir0x: I know you could get move powerups and what-not, but I don't know how ranged the moves are so I can't comment on that yet.

Does anyone know how hard it is to level up? One of the achievements is to hit lvl50.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
EGM's reviews are usually too short to be worthwhile, but not on Chromehounds.

The average score is 70%. EGM's is 63%. They were almost right on the average. If you like Chromehounds, fine...but EGM's process seems to match up standardly with the rest of teh intarweb.

Dead Rising is going to be a fun little romp, but it was sooooo overblown around here as being something it wasn't. Just enjoy it for what it is and not expect something huge.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Eh, those Dead Rising scores aren't too bad. I'm not really upset about it.

Am I rationalizing?

Odysseus

Banned
I have never understood the Dead Rising appeal, but these scores aren't exactly bad, either. They are solid, if not spectacular.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Chiggs said:

Am I rationalizing?

Yes you are, but its more fun to overreact or underreact to the point of feigning ignorance but if I had an Xbox360, i'll be getting Dead Rising no matter what.

Core407 said:
It doesn't matter what weapon you have, the zombies just stand there waiting to be killed. There are variety in the weapons, but there is no depth at all in the actual fighting mechanics.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
how can they give bomber man 2, when it is bomber man + live?! didn't someone say that it still plays the same? that warrents 5 atleast! art direction isn't all that. :|

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm kind of surprised at the UG&G score, didn't expect that.

good scores for VP2 and Okami

Amir0x

Banned
Chiggs said:

Am I rationalizing?

No, you're not rationalizing. Dead Rising will be great - that's why I wish games could more easily be $39.99 in next-gen, because nobody would even question it! The game is all about the holy shit moments - blowing 50 zombies into the air with a tank, taking out a legion of the undead with a skateboard, unleashing hell in a megaman outfit, the first time you use the excavator. This is full of 'wow' moments, which depending on your mileage is more than worth the price of admission.

I mean, shit, I'd be getting it if I owned a 360.

Bebpo

Banned
Dead Rising will be fuuuuun, but c'mon Lost Planet blows away DR. Lost Planet is Capcom's 9 & 10s amazing game (Assuming the 12 levels don't make a really short game), Dead Rising is just a fun romp.

I propose we adopt a one score from EGM system

threeball said:
XBOX 360

Dead Rising - 7.5,
Prey - 7.0,
Ninety-Nine Nights - 4.5,
Bomberman Act: Zero -2.0

PS2

Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories - 7.0,
Okami - 9.5
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - 4.0
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria - 8.0
Dance Factory - 7.0

MULTIPLATFORM

Flatout 2 - 5.0
Super Monkey Ball Adventure - 4.5
Pac-Man World Rally - 6.0

DS

Deep Labyrinth -7.5

PSP

Bomberman - 6.5
Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins -4.5
Tekken: Dark Resurrection - 8.0

?

mug

Scotch said:
dawsowned.jpg
:lol

I'm getting Okami!

Y2Kevbug11 said:
The average score is 70%. EGM's is 63%. They were almost right on the average. If you like Chromehounds, fine...but EGM's process seems to match up standardly with the rest of teh intarweb.

Those Chromehounds reviews are total shit. Almost all of 'em were given well before the online community developed. It doesn't matter if EGM's reviews matched up with the others....they're all freakin' wrong.

Amir0x

Banned
as much as I respect how nice the online system for Chromehounds is, you judge a game by the sum of its parts imo and from what i hear the singleplayer aspect is terrible. so, in the end, average 70% doesn't seem wrong in this context

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Those Chromehounds reviews are total shit. Almost all of 'em were given well before the online community developed. It doesn't matter if EGM's reviews matched up with the others....they're all freakin' wrong.

Well that's a different argument all together...

Razoric

Banned
Amir0x said:
as much as I respect how nice the online system for Chromehounds is, you judge a game by the sum of its parts imo and from what i hear the singleplayer aspect is terrible. so, in the end, average 70% doesn't seem wrong in this context

so I guess games like Battlefield 2 and Counterstrike deserve 5s and 6s too.

also, :lol :lol :lol @ the typical overreactions here about a game getting 7s and 8s. "cancels pre-order!!!11" :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Reactions to X360 reviews:
dawsowned.jpg

Reaction to Deep Labyrinth:
dawsowned.jpg

Reactions to UG&G:
dawsowned.jpg

Reactions to game of the month award:
dawsowned.jpg

Gigglepoo

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
they're all freakin' wrong.

How can someone's opinion be wrong? If a game needs a huge online community to be good, doesn't that say something about the game? Do you really think Chromehounds will still have that community when Gears of War comes out? A reviewer has to review what is right in front of him.

Amir0x

Banned
jamesinclair said:
I tried to be as fair as possible and went towards the average score.

Average for DL: 4.0
Average for UG&G: 6.0

failure, failure

Razoric said:
so I guess games like Battlefield 2 and Counterstrike deserve 5s and 6s too.

No, because these are games with almost no single player component whatsoever. Chromehounds attempts to have one, and its a failure. Therefore, the total package has a big flaw.

Amir0x said:
you chose the 7.5 for crap DeepL for DS, but chose the 4.5 for handheld GOTY Unlimited GnG :lol

Shouldn't we at least wait until we get to read the reviews themselves? Besides, the other two UG'n'G scores were 7.5 and 6.0. Not as bad, but hardly GOTY material.

Zenith

Banned
Amir0x said:
Shallow in terms of combat. You pick shit up, you kill shit with it

but tons of games are like that. in fact practically all 3rd person shooters are. and Dead Rising not only has the standard game weapons like pistols, SMGs, etc but 500 other ones to add to the depth.

I don't see why people are so quick to write this game off when sites gave much love to earlier playtests.

Top Bottom