• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latin American Football |OT| Sponsored By Televisa

v1lla21

maradona-o.gif
paul-aguilar-s-chicken-dance-o.gif

CONFEDERATIONS:

Gy7kMXD.png

TOP LEAGUES TO FOLLOW:

INTERNATIONAL CLUB COMPETITIONS:

Let's do this!
Leo-Messi-Rubbing-Hands-together.gif

LigaMX Fantasy League:

http://ligamx.univision.com/es/deportes/fantasy/leagues/2397

The group is CONCAGAF and the password is (quote to reveal)

Mexico Just won the "copa de oro", after they cheated their way to the finals.

Then Jamaica.

BONUS: El Piojo punched a producer commentator and didn't get fired. Jeremy Clarkson could learn from this.

SalvaPot

Mexico Just won the "copa de oro", after they cheated their way to the finals.

Then Jamaica.

BONUS: El Piojo punched a producer commentator and didn't get fired. Jeremy Clarkson could learn from this.

To be fair, it was Martinolli, he has the most punchable face this side of El Rio Bravo.

Also, lets see my Chivas Rayadas del Guadalajara winning La Liga MX this time.

v1lla21

Yo, this shit is huge wtf. Lol.

Martinoli sucks. Hopefully Piojo gets fired and beats Nacho out of America. Conmebol about to screw Tigres out of the Libertadores.

alterno69

Banned
Quite a weird time to go live isn't it?

Anyway, Cruz Az... I mean Tigres supporter here 👀

Fuck Billy Alvarez 😖

v1lla21

They are closer to Ascenso MX than winning La Liga

Go Dorados!
I hope they descend and Verga
ra
sells the team. Rooting for Morelia to stay in the league just because I'm Michoacano.

Puebla will probably be the most likely to be relegated.

SalvaPot

I hope they descend and Verga
ra
sells the team. Rooting for Morelia to stay in the league just because I'm Michoacano.

Man, remember when Morelia had that weird Mariposa Monarca mascot? It was freaky as hell, 1998 maybe? I was too young.

Puebla forever al Descenso, just the same as Cruz Azul Subcampeón.

v1lla21

Man, remember when Morelia had that weird Mariposa Monarca mascot? It was freaky as hell, 1998 maybe? I was too young.

Puebla forever al Descenso, just the same as Cruz Azul Subcampeón.
Nah, I was 4 years old. It would've probably gave me nightmares.

I don't remember what year it was but I was probably about 7-10 and I was watching the America versus Pumas game with the family. America ended up losing and my cousin of the same age, took off his America Jersey, opened the window, and threw the jersey out while crying. He then asked our uncle, who is a Pumas fan, to buy him a new jersey. From that day on he's been 100% Pumas. Lmao.

SalvaPot

Nah, I was 4 years old. It would've probably gave me nightmares.

I don't remember what year it was but I was probably about 7-10 and I was watching the America versus Pumas game with the family. America ended up losing and my cousin of the same age, took off his America Jersey, opened the window, and threw the jersey out while crying. He then asked our uncle, who is a Pumas fan, to buy him a new jersey. From that day on he's been 100% Pumas. Lmao.

lol, that is a great story.

My dad is Aguila de Corazón, he loves America and it makes sense since he was born and raised in D.F., I liked to watch matches with him but he never forced the team on me, I finally made my own decision to follow Chivas with that beautiful 6-1 match they had against Toros Neza in 1997, I fell in love with the team. Since then I am a loyal Chivas fan. To this day my dad favorite saying is "Tantos años esperando a mi hijo para que me saliera chiva."

We love to see El Clásico together, Guadalajara vs America.

mozfan12

Banned
Woo! Finally a thread where I can talk about the misery of being a lifelong Cruz Azul fan. Bad start to the season, hope Bueno is fired soon. We just bought Vuoso so this nightmare of a season has just begun.

Ledbetter

I've been a Pumas fan since Hugo Sánchez was the coach. I remember when I was 9 and they played against Chivas in the Final. In the PKs I was holding a cross praying for Pumas to win haha, and then Rafael Medina missed and I started to cry happily. Six months later I refused to go to a family event to watch Pumas vs Monterrey at home. To think that Kikin Fonseca was good at some point in his life. The bicampeonato happened.

But it was around that time that Dorados was created (I'm from Sinaloa) and they just promoted to the first division in one year, it was like a dream come true to have a football team where I live. I mean, we even had THESE guys:

2004 was such a beautiful football year for me.

Then I moved to Guadalajara to study, and I started to go to some Leones Negros games, when they were in Ascenso MX. And it was really good to see them get into Liga MX. If it wasn't for Anangonó and that Santos didn't score just one more goal against Puebla, they would have stayed :(

And yes, I feel kinda weird for supporting 3 teams, but I feel it was just a really strange coincidence how these type of events happened. I obviously expect people to call me "villamelon" or something else, but whatever :p just wanted to share something here.

alterno69

Banned
I watch less and less mexican football every year, the format is not atractive to me anymore and most of the regular season games are worthless since teams losing half the matches in a season can still make it to the playoffs.

This year i'm excited to see what Tigres can do and also Rayados new stadium.

Being a Cruz Azul fan, my season was over the day the confirmed Bueno as manager, fuck that.

v1lla21

Yeah, I wish the league format stopped being short and went with a regular season. It makes people more money though so I see why they do it :(

I'm an America fan. Don't know how it started really since my dad goes for Morelia. America probably won when I was super young and I stuck with them. Lol. I also support Xolos since they are the closest team to the US and I've been to a couple of their games.

While the quality of LigaMX isn't as high as the English or Spanish league, I still find it enjoyable. I don't watch much European soccer unless it's CL or Real Madrid.

brau

Subscribed.

Maybe with this thread i can keep up with the happenings of MX soccer. I have not kept up to date in a very long time since i moved away. haha

But.. was a big fan... most of my sundays were going to the Azteca, and then playing soccer every other day.

Osorio

Aguila (de San Miguel) fan here

I also like Pumas in Mexico, Palestino de Chile because of the people from my neighborhood, and America de Cali because a good friend of mine can't stfu about them.

Osorio

My biggest issue with these leagues is the bending of the rules for the big money teams. Like the coeficiente system, the overhaul of the Argentinian league because of River, etc.

And if any of you follow MLS it has been happening with LA Galaxy for the last decade it seems.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Miguel Herrera is out from the Mexican national team.

Next coach's first three games will be vs Trinidad y Tobago, Argentina, and USA. And then we start World Cup Qualifying.

EDIT: Let's review the candidates super quick:

Tuca - Has won two championships in something like twenty years. Reached Lbertadores final. Has already said no to the NT before. Not amicable to the press. Would be a time bomb.
Boy - Never won anything. Got into a fight with an Atlas fan. Not amicable to the press. Would be a time bomb.
Caixinha - Won one title. Not amicable to the press. Would be a time bomb.
Mohammed - Won two titles. Completely opposite style from Piojo, would mean squandering two years of work. Not amicable to the press. Would be a time bomb.
Sampaoli - Champion in Chile. Won Copa América. Has a serious process with Chile and would be put to criticism in less than two months. Not amicable to the press. Would be a time bomb.
Vucetich - Maximum Mexican League winner. Maximum CONCACAF winner. They fired him undeservingly already. Won't come back for less than eight digits.
Tena - Gave Mexico the Olympic gold. Multiple championships in the Mexican league. They fired him undeservingly already. Won't come back for less than eight digits.
Matosas - Champion in Uruguay and Mexico. Similar style to Piojo. Has an ok relationship to the press. He has been champion in Mexico and Uruguay.

I don't think there's any other real candidate than Matosas.

ZZMitch

Good idea for a thread! I don't follow any team specifically in these leagues but this will be useful to see how things are going south of the border.

Cystm

Down for this thread. Subbed.

Though I wish this discussion could be grouped with American Soccer for greater exposure for both.

Calvero

Banned
I watch less and less mexican football every year, the format is not atractive to me anymore and most of the regular season games are worthless since teams losing half the matches in a season can still make it to the playoffs.

This year i'm excited to see what Tigres can do and also Rayados new stadium.

Being a Cruz Azul fan, my season was over the day the confirmed Bueno as manager, fuck that.

I don't know much about Bueno, so what is so bad?

Libertadores final will be something else, Tigres vs. River Plate.

I will root for Tigres just because it will be cool to see Mexico's reaction if they won the biggest club league in the continent.

loki 16

sucks for piojo, he is a good coach. But punching a reperter is a no go, even if it's Martinoli.

Arriba el America

v1lla21

Down for this thread. Subbed.

Though I wish this discussion could be grouped with American Soccer for greater exposure for both.
Yeah that's what I wanted to happen :(

Matosas would be the ideal candidate but I'd much prefer El turco.

Chivas fan here. Following the meican football since 2007.

I'm still waiting for Chivas to win a title so I can buy the jersey :(
I promised myself I would buy the jersey once they were champions.

Still waiting. C'mon Chivas!

I'm also rooting for Dorados, since I'm from Sinaloa.

And Murcielagos FC in Ascenso. Gotta support the local team, lol.

Libertadores final will be something else, Tigres vs. River Plate.

I will root for Tigres just because it will be cool to see Mexico's reaction if they won the biggest club league in the continent.

I believe, knowing how Mexicans and the press are, (I am a Mexican in Mexico) they will talk a lot about how Tigres has too many foreigners. Us Mexicans tend to shit on those successful so I can see that happening.

I would be very happy for Mexico to finally win a Libertadores. I am a Chivas fan and it was so painful for me to see them crash out twice in the Semi's and then in the final against Inter de Porto Alegre. I always wish for Mexican teams to strive to win the Libertadores even if it means fighting an uphill battle against CONMEBOL not wanting a Mexican team to win their tournament, and throwing our league away to focus on this tournament. Which in my opinion, would bring much more prestige to our league and clubs.

ps: screw that Paul Aguilar gif on the main post. Zurrada goal against Chivas and does that dance to make me hate him even more.

Top Bottom