• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lazy Box art

G-Fex

I want to say Bioshock Infinite but I dunno.

20121203_bioshock_infinite_cover.jpg

it's pretty fucking lazy, I can't believe people defended it as good.

james-bond-blood-stonwydk9.jpg

Good job, interns. That was piss easy. All you had to do was cut out a render of Daniel Craig on Photoshop, slap him against a background of grey nothingness and slap on the logo in the biggest font it can allow, big enough just in case a regular shopper notices it.

Actually a cool cover because it's a cool shot

blamite

Speaking of collections, I guess the PS2 MGS collection box could be considered kind of lazy although the individual boxes for the games are really nice.

BICoTz5.jpg

blamite

I think this is one of the better examples of collection box arts.

Yeah, I personally like it too, but putting pictures of three other boxes on the box is still kind of questionable, even if the actual art looks really good.

The layout/typography (and strangely masked zeppelin) or the front cover? If the latter, awesome box art is another thread :p

Also, that's not the real back of the box, this is:

Son Of D

I'd say this is a possibility:

It just re-uses the official renders from the website and puts them on a boring background. Also Ratchet's render on the EU release is from All 4 One.

It's not the only game to do stuff like this though. The Dissidia Final Fantasy games also did this by just pasting the renders or artwork from the websites onto backgrounds:

Dissidia NA+EU art (reversible covers):
dissidia.jpg

Dissidia 012 NA art:
dissidia-012-official-box-art-revealed.jpg

Dissidia 012 EU art:
images

It's just a personal preference though, I'm not a fan of cover art and posters that's just renders pasted onto a background.

MUnited83

For you.
I hate this cover with passion of a thousand suns, but it's not really lazy

final-fantasy-xiii-cover.jpg

This is lazy. Just the character stuck on a plain background with a logo in the top right. I like minimilistic like the MGS Cover , but this just screams laziness to me.
I would actually like a even more "lazy" cover far better. Just make it a white background and the logo on the center. I think it works well and it's more aesthetically pleasing than this.

final-fantasy-xiii-cover.jpg

This is lazy. Just the character stuck on a plain background with a logo in the top right. I like minimilistic like the MGS Cover , but this just screams laziness to me.
I like to shit on FFXIII as much as the next person, BUT there is a bit of thought that's gone into that cover. The FF logo is on the same level as her eyes. So you follow the logo to her face and follow her face down her arm to the SquareEnix logo. It makes sense

GavinUK86

Yeah... people are mistaking lazy for bad or minimalistic. What I take away from "lazy box art" is something that's badly photoshopped or copied from a different game etc. The HD collection boxes are a perfect example of lazy. Most just photoshop the old covers into some sort of collage.

LAZY:

PRETTY COOL:

I can't say I agree with these. I think it's a simple, cohesive design that is immediately recognizable to fans of the series. I like that consistency from game to game. You look at it and there's no question it's an Ace Attorney game.

The games are about their characters, first and foremost, and I always felt the covers did a good job of reflecting that.

BlackJace

I'd say this is a possibility:

It just re-uses the official renders from the website and puts them on a boring background. Also Ratchet's render on the EU release is from All 4 One.

It's not the only game to do stuff like this though. The Dissidia Final Fantasy games also did this by just pasting the renders or artwork from the websites onto backgrounds:

It's just a personal preference though, I'm not a fan of cover art and posters that's just renders pasted onto a background.

I don't know, I like Dissidia's just because of the crisp art. I like how they're ordered too.

AdanVC

This was a huge step down from other Mario Kart games.
0AdEZRd.jpg

Yeah this is probably the worst Nintendo game cover ever. Even the box art of Wii Music looks better. I mean, the concept of Mario and Luigi floating while holding the Wii Wheels and their shadows as go-karts is nice but putting a huge Wii Wheel on the background with a cheap fade effect totally ruined it haha. Yet this was one of my most played games during the Wii era...

Architect

Neo Member
Minimalist cover designs are great and often iconic, for games and other products. Love the FFVII and Metal Gear Solid minimalist cases from back in the day.

Top Bottom