• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lazy Towns Robbie Rotten is in the final stages of cancer (Up: Cleared)

HMD

Cancer is scary but everyday we're getting closer and closer to a cure. Thanks to all the doctors and their incredible hard work. I hope I get to hear about a cancer cure in my lifetime.

Orbis

How does one just beat terminal cancer?

This is confusing.
Upon diagnosis they will try and determine the 'stage'. In his case it was stage 4 based on how developed it was, which in that particular cancer is very bad. However you cannot know at that point how it will respond to treatment. Also consider that 'beating' cancer just means it is now undetectable, there is always a risk of it returning but that risk lowers over time. But still, the odds were extremely heavily stacked against him and he managed to pull through. Truly a shining example of modern cancer treatment and a strong willed person.

FyreWulff

Pancreatic cancer. It's amazing.

I think the same thing happened with Steve Jobs though, so let's hope that it doesn't come back like it did with Jobs.

The difference here is Jobs basically screwed himself over with an useless alternative treatment

How does one just beat terminal cancer?

This is confusing.

You can still attempt to treat a terminal cancer. However, most tend to elect to stop treatment and enjoy the time the time they have left since chemo does a number on you due to how advanced it is at that stage.

wow, I gotta say I don't have any personal connection to this dude, but I know a lot of people do and everyone has been talking like he was pretty much on his last leg, so it's incredible to see that he's been cleared. Wild. #1.

Syder

There’s every chance he’ll go in to remission but, for the mean time, how about we celebrate the fact he beat the nigh-on unbeatable?

Upon diagnosis they will try and determine the 'stage'. In his case it was stage 4 based on how developed it was, which in that particular cancer is very bad. However you cannot know at that point how it will respond to treatment. Also consider that 'beating' cancer just means it is now undetectable, there is always a risk of it returning but that risk lowers over time. But still, the odds were extremely heavily stacked against him and he managed to pull through. Truly a shining example of modern cancer treatment and a strong willed person.
Don't get me wrong this is great but from the family messages a month ago it sounded like he was at Death's door. I know Stage 4 cancer can be beaten but there's people don't usually beat a terminal diagnosis. Maybe it was an Icelandic translation error or something?

Regardless, I'm just happy a family isn't losing it's father.

Neo C.

Don't get me wrong this is great but from the family messages a month ago it sounded like he was at Death's door. I know Stage 4 cancer can be beaten but there's people don't usually beat a terminal diagnosis. Maybe it was an Icelandic translation error or something?

Cancer still kills many people, but we are getting better and better in dealing with them. Even on stage 4.

Hopefully it doesn't come back, or at least not too soon.

who would have known that Robbie Rotten would be the most feel good story in the history of Lazy Town.

Amazing, what a god damn trooper. I hope he sings about being #1 at beating cancer.

Brandson

As I understand it, pancreatic cancer can go into remission but it will always eventually return and be fatal. Glad he is better now, but unfortunately it won't be forever.

Amazing news. The doctors are undoubtedly amazing, but it also takes someone with a really strong will to survive to beat diagnosis like that.

Regardless, I'm just happy a family isn't losing it's father.
My mother survived stage 4 ovarian cancer in 1988 after she was told to write her will.

Anything can happen. Willpower and a good doctor can do anything.

Top Bottom