• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Nekofrog

Banned
little small things like not getting that auto attack off on newt during the stun wouldve meant he lived. learn little things like that to become a top plat pro like me ^:)

Newt

Neko conveniently leaves out the second game where he had to ADC :^).
1f117de9def7437140f949c14d226644.png

garath

Aww. Damn. I missed the in-house. I was actually on too. Dragons dogma ate up the time though.

Watching meteos play graves jungle. Damn. I may have to try that.

Oh and tried the new champ select. It ended in a dodge which is why I went to play DD but I really liked it. Great change. Going to make the process much faster.

I was worried about the premade vs random factor though. Hope it's just a bug.

And gratz Costy!!!

Man, I don't like to rage but every time.. and I mean every time someone fails to ban jax it ends in disaster. I dumpstered him with Quinn at top but as soon as he gets that infernal item, woops, snowball train incoming. Why.. something's gotta happen .. either Jax gets olaf'd or Guinsoo's get olafed.

Hard

Banned
>Queue up for new dynamic queue
>Trying to practice Renekton top
>Select top/mid
>Queue up as mid (wtf)
>Dodge
>Wait 5 minutes
>Queue up as top/mid again
>Last pick
>Queue up as top
>Go through bans
>Enemy top first picks Renekton
>Dodge again
>15 minute wait

I miss Team Builder

pigeon

Banned
The only thing 3 games of jungle has taught me is to stick to top lane. Man I can't do this at all.

So some super starter level advice about the jungle.

Your job as jungler is to find and force unequal engagements and prevent the same from the enemy. So there's two main skills: seeing which lanes would benefit from a gank, and then actually ganking.

The first skill is mainly about map awareness, looking at lanes quickly, and evaluating situations. Are the lanes pushed up to the enemy turret? It's hard to gank. How strong is your laner and how strong is theirs? Does your enemy have good escapes, or few? Do they have flash? This is all stuff to think about and requires a certain amount of knowledge about matchups and champs for all lanes. Like, it's good to know before you gank for Nasus twice before 10 minutes that he kind of doesn't do anything at that point in the game, so it's honestly probably not worth showing up. And of course it's important to ward the map up and keep your eye on things so that you know where the enemies are, especially the enemy jungler. You either want to be where the enemy jungler is or you really don't, so figure out which and try to do that. You are the second most responsible for vision after the support, so don't forget to ward and buy pinks, and watch the vision once you've generated it.

Don't gank a lane unless you can win. If your laner is behind, sure, you could try to gank for them, but consider just blowing them off and ganking for the lane that's winning to get them to snowball. One really strong teammate and one weak one is probably better for you than two mediocre teammates, and definitely better than two weak ones because you got double killed trying to help the guy who was already losing.

The second skill is just about execution and knowing the tricks. Don't use your CC/gapclosers first, use them last, so that the enemy can't beat them with their escapes or flash. Don't run towards the enemy, run to cut them off. Don't gank if there are too many enemy minions, because they'll attack you. Have a good understanding of turret aggro -- it's not that complicated -- and how dangerous it is to take a couple shots at various points in the game. Don't waste your flash unless you'll get the kill.

There's also clearing, but basically that's just something to go into a custom game and practice.

zkylon

zkylewd
kee too juungling is to find the figure out who's more tilteable on the enemy team and camp the shit outta them :p

pigeon

Banned
The Reddit crybaby circlejerk is quite a sight to behold.

I am mostly amused by the people who keep posting "in the old system I just asked for my role and got it like 90% of the time, now I never ever get it." Like, how soon we forget.

pigeon

Banned
They did basically what I expected -- they turned the matchmaking preference for matching 5s to 5s way up, so that it will take significantly longer for it to give up and match you against 5 randoms (along with two other similar changes to prefer match quality to match speed). If done sufficiently, it will cut way down on the number of 5-man vs. non-grouped games, both because it takes longer to pop, and because fewer people will queue as 5 (because it takes longer to pop).

Should be a solvable problem.

Talents

Banned
I like the new queue system. They just need to get rid of 4 and 5 man queues.

Exactly my problem. If Riot had just kept the Solo/Duo queue aspect while adding teambuilder it would have been perfect. I don't even see any benefits of adding dynamic queue.

JulianImp

I am mostly amused by the people who keep posting "in the old system I just asked for my role and got it like 90% of the time, now I never ever get it." Like, how soon we forget.

I'm actually kind of scared about these changes (which still aren't up on the LAS servers) because I still suck at any position other than support. The only way I can "win" my lane (read: not feed like a madman) is if my opponent is equally inept as I am, and that reminds me of what I was talking with some guy who added me and who I played a second normal match with.

I was thinking that maining support is nice for getting started, but you ultimately have to diversify into any other possition in order to learn the other half of the game: Last-hitting, handling yourself in a solo lane, keeping track of just how much burst/poke you've got and when's the right time to use it, and so on. As a support I can often do okay by focusing on little more than poke/initiate, deploying shields/heals whenever my adc needs it and wandering a bit to ward and sweep. Most of the time the support's role is to use their abilities to pin the enemy adc down so that your allied adc can get the kill, which I think is the reason why I still suck at actually finishing people off when I'm solo laning.

Still, the second game I played with the guy I went Annie mid to practice the lane and ened up feeding a mid Lee Sin, of all things. Our support flamed me real bad at first, but I guess he wasn't expecting me to admit that I was indeed getting started with mid and say that I'd only try to farm when I was sure I could do so safely (often under turret, and even that didn't work most of the time). Then he quickly turned to blame our jungle Xin Zhao for not building devourer, which started a flame war between them that lasted the whole match and prevented us from working as a cohesive group. Meanwhile, our Vayne told us that she was actually also a support main, so she didn't know a thing about last-hitting ... so yeah, talk about a lopsided team.

Still, my record for today was 1/1 in normals (with a loss in ranked precisely due to being forced to go top) and I also gained a new friend I could play with again later, so I guess it wasn't that bad after all.

zkylon

zkylewd
today's op.gg is kinda funny hahahah

20160112053317.9786a095c4f3119d6803744c56f4eb75.PNG

They did basically what I expected -- they turned the matchmaking preference for matching 5s to 5s way up, so that it will take significantly longer for it to give up and match you against 5 randoms (along with two other similar changes to prefer match quality to match speed). If done sufficiently, it will cut way down on the number of 5-man vs. non-grouped games, both because it takes longer to pop, and because fewer people will queue as 5 (because it takes longer to pop).

Should be a solvable problem.
i sort of wish they added the same criterias to all modes tbh

ranked 5s suffered from this issue forever, match speed is favored over quality and you randomly end up playing full d2/d1 teams. like, i'd understand if it takes 5m to find a game, but when it takes 10s, maybe wait like a full minute and get me a decent match pls? some of the ppl in my team are silver..

lol

i actually used to get mid pretty often, back when i ranked. like 60% of my games were mid, then 30% support, then 10% other trash :p

but that was a long time ago

for my promos in s5 which is all i played i did one thresh game and one corki game and then all mid

so idk :p

Exactly my problem. If Riot had just kept the Solo/Duo queue aspect while adding teambuilder it would have been perfect. I don't even see any benefits of adding dynamic queue.
imo if you're gonna allow duos you might as well allow the rest.

as long as the matchmaking is balanced it's fine by me

jerd

I like the new queue system. They just need to get rid of 4 and 5 man queues.

I kinda hope this is where we end up as well.

If not it's probably not a big deal as long as the teams are even

Hilarious that people are complaining about the new system. If you only picked one role queue times would be garbage. You really don't have a second role that you can play 20% of the time? (unless you're a mid main in which case gl)

I was starting to wonder if norms just gave you your primary role every game because it took so many games for it to put me in my secondary.

Hard

Banned
Losing hour long games fucking sucks. 0-5 tonight, I'm just gonna wait till I get back to campus and get my 40 ping back to play again. Can't do anything.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
There needs to be a substantial penalty in normal draft for using the new queue system. Kind of obnoxious when you're in queue for what feels like forever and almost everyone is done choosing champs and shit and someone just ups and afks therefore it fucks everyone over by restarting from teh very beginning. Again.

Moonlight

Banned
I really dislike fighting Tryndamere. His dumb rage move where he just gets back up for free and is invincible for what feels like forever after that feels really frustrating to fight against, because he gets to just hit back for free after I've unloaded everything onto him and everything is on cooldown, so I really don't have much option but to take it unless I've Flash up or something else, and I really dislike having to use Flash to survive killing my opponent. Not with any specific champion, it's just sort of annoying to go up against.

I've spent more time in queue waiting on a match then in the actual game with dynamic queue. Seriously I've had 2 matches so far, and about 12 dodges, plus a lot of down time waiting to find a match. I totally understand if I was challenger elo but I'm not... I think they will work out the kinks for dynamic q, but I'm just wait. This is basically like when the new Iphone comes out and is just shit until the "S" models is release.

Newt

I've spent more time in queue waiting on a match then in the actual game with dynamic queue. Seriously I've had 2 matches so far, and about 12 dodges, plus a lot of down time waiting to find a match. I totally understand if I was challenger elo but I'm not... I think they will work out the kinks for dynamic q, but I'm just wait. This is basically like when the new Iphone comes out and is just shit until the "S" models is release.
I've found all my matches in like 3 minutes.

pigeon

Banned

This isn't even dynamic queue, this is just people needing to learn to lock their shit in. Honestly, I always hated waiting until time ran out anyway because it just delayed the game, so I am wholly in favor of this change. Just lock it in.

I really dislike fighting Tryndamere. His dumb rage move where he just gets back up for free and is invincible for what feels like forever after that feels really frustrating to fight against, because he gets to just hit back for free after I've unloaded everything onto him and everything is on cooldown, so I really don't have much option but to take it unless I've Flash up or something else, and I really dislike having to use Flash to survive killing my opponent. Not with any specific champion, it's just sort of annoying to go up against.

Yeah, Tryndamere is one of the old-fashioned splitpush duelists because of his "press R to just not die" thing. Basically just don't dump a full combo on him while he has R off cooldown. Or CC him and burst him out -- Tryndamere generally builds nothing in the way of defense. Even Malphite can R in and pop him before he lands.

Moonlight

Banned
Yeah, Tryndamere is one of the old-fashioned splitpush duelists because of his "press R to just not die" thing. Basically just don't dump a full combo on him while he has R off cooldown. Or CC him and burst him out -- Tryndamere generally builds nothing in the way of defense. Even Malphite can R in and pop him before he lands.
Will keep this in mind for the future, thanks! Might feel a little weird to adjust to not all-ining as much, but it shouldn't be too bad.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
There needs to be a substantial penalty in normal draft for using the new queue system. Kind of obnoxious when you're in queue for what feels like forever and almost everyone is done choosing champs and shit and someone just ups and afks therefore it fucks everyone over by restarting from teh very beginning. Again.
It's the same as normal draft before. Six minute dodge penalty. It's not like the process takes longer than it used to either.

jerd

Yeah there's just no deterrent for dodging a normal game really. I think a lot of the problem is people click through the screen that reminds them to lock in and then proceed to not lock in

Picked up shen for the first time in ages.

tXnDCON.png

It was a really fun game. I'm actually kinda sad to see him getting a rework.

Also has anyone worked out how many games you win if you take a crab early? In this game I started red side. I knew Lee was either going to clear his buffs immediately and gank at lvl 3 or he was going to clear red, take the crab and then get blue/gank. As I was shen and lvl3 ganks aren't nearly as strong for me. My only option was to either farm my jungle, or at lvl2 after red, go to the river and take drake side crab.

I didn't realise how good a decision that had been until my first counter gank. Lee was last seen near drake at lvl4. My bot lane has the bush warded and I was doing golems I was able to sneak up behind the tower and when he jumped in I taunted and took him out. They got our Cait but I got him. After that I took the crab outside baron and then placed wards in his jungle.

nbraun80

Ugh still hate playing against mundo. Kept they're vayne and lux down as mid but don't worry full tank mundo and garen will carry and do the most damage. Don't mind him being a super tank but his damage output is still stupid.

I just wanted to play Varus mid but some tool in my lobby starts calling me dumb for no reason (probably because he wanted mid but got his secondary role of jungle) and he banned Varus so I couldn't play him.

:/

Top Bottom