• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends World Championship 2017 |SEP 23-NOV 4|

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This is what happens when you make a single mistake, granted a very big mistake, and a Korean team will destroy you.

EDG trying to match RNG's throw vs CLG in 2016 MSI with this throw here.

Edit: One on hand I wanted EDG to win, but on the other I wanted them to lose because it helps C9.
More than one mistake really. The Janna played very poorly and when you are playing that kind of squishy comp you need your Janna to play safer. The follow up fight after the momentum shift had Janna not use her ultimate at all and it would have made a huge difference.

clemenx

Banned
Me: Damn, coming back from a deficit like this is too hard in LoL this is over.

SKT: Hold my beer.

That's one of the best wombo combos I've seen.

This is what happens when you make a single mistake, granted a very big mistake, and a Korean team will destroy you.

EDG trying to match RNG's throw vs CLG in 2016 MSI with this throw here.

Edit: One on hand I wanted EDG to win, but on the other I wanted them to lose because it helps C9.

Even a Western team would pull the trigger on EDG when they're all grouped on top of each other and you have have Rakan+Orianna. That's just free as hell. I'd need to go back and check sums to see if maybe they got cocky with a bunch of flashes, but man, that's just way too bold into an Orianna.

Great games today! Champ diversity isn't that high, but the games are fun as always! I really hope Gigabyte Marines pull off a few other successful strats, maybe they can shift the meta.

NA was also 3-0 today, but they needed to win all of those. My pick em's have all 3 NA teams going to groups.

I'm quite curious to see how IMT does against Gigabyte Marines. We've seen both extremes of their style. They crushed Fnatic and got obliterated by Longzhu. With how close the IMT vs Fnatic game was (going by the small part I saw), I'd assume it's more likely we see the cheese work, but Xmithie is super smart, I don't know he'll struggle against a cheese jungle like Broxah.

Great games today! Champ diversity isn't that high, but the games are fun as always! I really hope Gigabyte Marines pull off a few other successful strats, maybe they can shift the meta.

NA was also 3-0 today, but they needed to win all of those. My pick em's have all 3 NA teams going to groups.

I'm not going to bang my NA drum until next week. I've been burned by getting hype in the first week only for NA to go, what, 0-10 in the second week?

Until then i'll nod like a proud parent after every win but resign myself to the fact it might come crashing down.

SKT only did that to one up TSM's large gold deficit but they didn't wait to 10k down only 9k

GAM ruined their comp at P/B by letting them get the "you can't get near us" comp when you're going to pick a Morde

I'm quite curious to see how IMT does against Gigabyte Marines. We've seen both extremes of their style. They crushed Fnatic and got obliterated by Longzhu. With how close the IMT vs Fnatic game was (going by the small part I saw), I'd assume it's more likely we see the cheese work, but Xmithie is super smart, I don't know he'll struggle against a cheese jungle like Broxah.

I'm not going to bang my NA drum until next week. I've been burned by getting hype in the first week only for NA to go, what, 0-10 in the second week?

Until then i'll nod like a proud parent after every win but resign myself to the fact it might come crashing down.

The problem with NA has been shitty second weeks definitely. I think a lot of other regions have been able to adapt to NA's strategies in the rest period. This year NA is playing pretty standard and winning against who they need to win against. Nautilus from Cloud 9 is pretty much the only unique pick/strat I'm seeing.

I'm in opposite land, I had all three NA teams failing to leave group stage (WE and Flash Wolves in Group D).

All in all, not a bad bunch of games today. Some nailbiters, especially IMT-FNC and SKT-EDG.

Looking like some good games tonight. The two Group D games should be slugfests (Team WE vs. TSM and Flash Wolves vs. Misfits), plus Samsung vs. RNG and C9 vs. EDG should be interesting.

SKT is going to tear AHQ apart and G2 should beat Fenerbache

Even a Western team would pull the trigger on EDG when they're all grouped on top of each other and you have have Rakan+Orianna. That's just free as hell. I'd need to go back and check sums to see if maybe they got cocky with a bunch of flashes, but man, that's just way too bold into an Orianna.

Nah that engage was absolutely world class. Bang's in the perfect position in stealth. Huni alone is showing to bait them forward. Wolf flash combos three and charms a 4th immediately after. Huni flash ruptures (to guarantee the double knock-up), silences them as the first knock-up ends. Faker follows up. Peanut traps the only one to get out with his ult. Would a western team ever be in that position when 10k and an inhib down 27 minutes in? SKT knew they had one chance to get vision control and engage when EDG based after the inhib, and they nailed it. Tank as bait, carry stealthed at the edge of range, pink in river for the support. And if they were, could they combo it so cleanly?

LZ's baron call and teamfighting against IMT yesterday was special too though. Playing high risk aggro in a defensive meta, sailing into the wind with no margin for error, completely fearless but never out of control.

zkylon

zkylewd
korea is so beautiful

that edg game i knew it in my heart skt had it in them to turn it around

i'm kind of bummed there's so much captainflowers, i really dislike his casting style

Vimes

Froskurinn is the flymost

Misfits is my team this worlds so it's good to see them get a win on the board.

Sol Mori

FB with the tried and true scale to lose composition. I don't understand why underdog teams ever try and draft a late game comp with no early game. It isn't even like G2's late game is bad, so all they were asking for was G2 to run them over.

EU with the 2-0 day, but it is against teams that have not won a game yet. G2 vs RNG tomorrow will give us an idea who is getting out of group C. Unfortunately for MSF I don't think WE or TSM are going to be as passive and indecisive as FW are, so I still think group D is going to be WE & TSM getting out. FNC is in a deep hole and essentially hoping GAM & IMT go 1-1 so it ends in a 3 way tie.

For NA I feel like TSM is still favored to make it out and if C9 and IMT can win then they should be favored in their groups. Especially if C9 beats EDG because that would put EDG in a huge deficit. IMT's early game vs FNC does not give me confidence in them vs GAM because GAM is definitely going to try something early.

Granted there are still three games left while I'm typing this I'm not expecting SSG (RIP SSG) or SKT to lose.

Looks like RNG shows EDG how to actually close out a game. Honestly with RNG beating SSG I now don't see G2 making it out.

Sol Mori

With RNG and TSM doing good it looks like we can maybe have an exciting worlds this year.

Hehe

While RNG did beat SSG, I'm still not ready to bet against Korea in a Bo5. It isn't like Korea has been unbeatable in Bo1s anyways. Though it would be nice to see a region that isn't Korea actually win. Hell, going back to worlds 2016 ROX had to play a tie breaker vs ANX for first place in group A. Also looking back at last year every NA team ended up 3-3 in groups going 2-1 (first week) 1-2 (second week), so clearly this means C9 and IMT to win and for MSF to upset TSM.

TSM Jatt is leaking the script again. Yesterday he said NA would go 3-0 and prior to the RNG vs SSG game he tweeted https://twitter.com/RiotJatt/status/916550964437331968

NSESN

The fish
While RNG did beat SSG, I'm still not ready to bet against Korea in a Bo5. It isn't like Korea has been unbeatable in Bo1s anyways. Though it would be nice to see a region that isn't Korea actually win. Hell, going back to worlds 2016 ROX had to play a tie breaker vs ANX for first place in group A. Also looking back at last year every NA team ended up 3-3 in groups going 2-1 (first week) 1-2 (second week), so clearly this means C9 and IMT to win and for MSF to upset TSM.

TSM Jatt is leaking the script again. Yesterday he said NA would go 3-0 and prior to the RNG vs SSG game he tweeted https://twitter.com/RiotJatt/status/916550964437331968

I only agree because I think SSG is the weakest Korean, and I think RNG is the strongest non-korean team, and both can't face off until finals. Perhaps TSM have a chance tho.

Sol Mori

What is this jungle invade by SKT? Is SKT scrimming GAM and deciding to try crazy things? Also, please don't be another deathless game for the winner. I want blood on both sides, blood for the blood god.

The fish

I only agree because I think SSG is the weakest Korean, and I think RNG is the strongest non-korean team, and both can't face off until finals. Perhaps TSM have a chance tho.

RNG is such a weird team, Uzi is cursed to never win the LPL but they do so well at worlds.

I've had nothing to do with League for weeks now and I've come back to Nashor's Tooth Ori and Fizz Faker.

Just like my Gold games.

clemenx

Banned
I don't mind Janna and censer as much as I mind Trist... I know all that resetting and jumping around is super fun but late game with her range and Q is just too ridiculous.

NSESN

Because its Soaz

I don't think the snarky comment is needed.
Soaz isn't a bad player. He was one of the best GP players after the rework, and he has a good Shen and Gnar, so why Cho that is more straightforward is so hard for him? I know he doesn't like playing tanks but it can't explain why his Shen is much better.

Sol Mori

Soaz isn't a bad player. He was one of the best GP players after the rework, and he has a good Shen and Gnar, so why Cho that is more straightforward is so hard for him? I know he doesn't like playing tanks but it can't explain why his Shen is much better.

I think it is more how FNC plays than really that Soaz sucks at Cho. In their lose vs IMT it wasn't really because Soaz was super bad on Cho, yes there were mistakes, but because they didn't play well as a team.

Its been like two years since GP got reworked, his Shen is also kinda bad and being good at Gnar does not excuse the rest of his play - see Huhi.

In other words, its because Cho is straightforward. You don't get to shield your ADC or flash CC to be useful, you have to actually play decently on a basic level.

NSESN

I think it is more how FNC plays than really that Soaz sucks at Cho. In their lose vs IMT it wasn't really because Soaz was super bad on Cho, yes there were mistakes, but because they didn't play well as a team.
I agree

Its been like two years since GP got reworked, his Shen is also kinda bad and being good at Gnar does not excuse the rest of his play - see Huhi.

In other words, its because Cho is straightforward. You don't get to shield your ADC or flash CC to be useful, you have to actually play decently on a basic level.

Shen isn't bad. Just see what Impact did this game. And you really think Soaz can't play decently on a basic level?

Shen isn't bad. Just see what Impact did this game. And you really think Soaz can't play decently on a basic level?
I said Soaz's Shen is bad, not that the champion is bad.

And when I say basic level, I mean basic Worlds level. And yes, I don't think Soaz is good enough for Worlds.

NSESN

I said Soaz's Shen is bad, not that the champion is bad.

And when I say basic level, I mean basic Worlds level. And yes, I don't think Soaz is good enough for Worlds.

Did you really watch any FNC game this year? Shen was his second best champion after Gnar.

Sol Mori

Did you really watch any FNC game this year? Shen was his second best champion after Gnar.

Honestly I think that goes back to the live and die by Rekkles philosophy FNC followed. EU teams were just unable to do anything about it, but NA showed that if you didn't let FNC play PVE for 20 minutes you could punish them. Besides isn't the dog champ quote from Soaz from rift rivals anyways?

With C9's interviews it seems like they clearly understood that Shen is also a counter to Scout and abused his tendency to be over aggressive.

NSESN

I'm sure he looked good vs teams like Monkeys
Ok, no use discussing anymore, I don't think we can agree about this.
Honestly I think that goes back to the live and die by Rekkles philosophy FNC followed. EU teams were just unable to do anything about it, but NA showed that if you didn't let FNC play PVE for 20 minutes you could punish them. Besides isn't the dog champ quote from Soaz from rift rivals anyways?

With C9's interviews it seems like they clearly understood that Shen is also a counter to Scout and abused his tendency to be over aggressive.

It always sounded to me that Soaz wanted to blame the champion instead of their playstyle being one dimensional. Still it doesn't change that his Shen was pivotal for FNC this year.

faridmon

What teh fuck is happening with EDG? They win the LPL title and are 0-3 with terrible performance and school boy errors. Particularly Scout

I have never rated Clearlove. must be the most overrated League player out there since his mistakes and jungle pathing are abysmal. He clearly have have the technique but that guy has 0 awareness

NSESN

What teh fuck is happening with EDG? They win the LPL title and are 0-3 with terrible performance and school boy errors. Particularly Scout

I have never rated Clearlove. must be the most overrated League player out there since his mistakes and jungle pathing are abysmal. He clearly have have the technique but that guy has 0 awareness
Most Chinese analysts say they are the weakest. I agree, both WE and RNG look better, specially the latter with Uzi Worlds buff.

zkylon

zkylewd
edg is so weird, it hurts to watch

gotta wonder how is it that edg keeps disappointing year after year at worlds

they're the most accomplished team in china and it can't just be an international thing, they did win msi after all and against skt of all teams, but worlds just feels like it catches them in a slump or something

NSESN

edg is so weird, it hurts to watch

gotta wonder how is it that edg keeps disappointing year after year at worlds

they're the most accomplished team in china and it can't just be an international thing, they did win msi after all and against skt of all teams, but worlds just feels like it catches them in a slump or something
They are like reverse Royal.

Top Bottom