• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Leak] PlayStation Plus Strategy - Full Presentation From April 2023 (69 Slides)

RavageX

Well, looks like a lot of BS to me.

How about expanding classics to have more ps2 games, make sure classics are not streaming only (ps3). Don't worry about live service bullshit until you got people interested in the core offerings, and make sure you do before you raise prices.

SteadyEvo

Damn that’s a lot of data leaked.

Even once it was added to PS+, players dropped Returnal within 8 hours.

Around 10% of people who play a game trial buy it.

Less than 20% of Essential players redeem at least one free game (if I understood the graph correctly).

I tried to understand their method for cannibalization calculation but couldn’t.

That’s all for now.
Returnal isn’t a good example. Game is hard as fuck and appeals to a smaller audience.

Chukhopops

Well, maybe the PS+ trials are more curated so you get less junk? I do remember some developers complaining about having to build demo versions, but game trials actually don't require any effort since it's just a timer on the full game. Because I'm curious, there are 104 trials currently available on the service (some redundancy there for games with PS5/PS4 and PSVR/PSVR2 versions).
I don’t know for sure, it’s a possible explanation.

I think this also has to do with the specific segment of people who pay for Premium sub. Chances are they are the players who play and spend the most overall, which would make game trials perform better conversion-wise when measured on that segment. Just a supposition of course.

bender

What time is it?
I don’t know for sure, it’s a possible explanation.

I think this also has to do with the specific segment of people who pay for Premium sub. Chances are they are the players who play and spend the most overall, which would make game trials perform better conversion-wise when measured on that segment. Just a supposition of course.

Good speculation but is 10% of that audience better than 4% (pulled straight from my butt plate) of the entire audience? No idea if or what Sony compensates a developer for offering a trial, but the current implementation doesn't seem like it lives up to the potential of the audience. But maybe its' more of a driver to subscriptions instead of game sales.

T-Cake

They better not try any of that PS+ shit like encrypting game saves, required for cloud saving and multiplayer access on the PC. Microsoft got all that Games for Windows Live nonsense shoved right back up their arse.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Engagement figures from Sony? Obviously an elaborate fake. And for some games sales increased after going to the subscription service?
These jokers must think we are idiots.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Engagement

Trying Not To Laugh GIF

Dr.Morris79

That's a whole lot of bullshit. Get me on the board, we'd have a new Wipeout. Driveclub and the whole PS1 back catalogue in the morning

Not this utter bollocks.
Just to back up this claim, give me the reigns, i'd have Wipeout banging out some kicking tunes like the old days. Bring back 90's Sony, ffs

Sony, call me bro 🤙

You need help mate.

Whoa Sony... you aren't supposed to be talking about engagement. Get your head in the game.
There's nothing wrong with talking about engagement internally as PART of the overall picture. Especially when you're doing it to see what games and features people are using to help improve your service.

The deserved mockery comes from when MS uses it as the ONLY metric publicly to act like things are going great for their games, when sales and concurrent player numbers paint a drasticly different picture.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
There's nothing wrong with talking about engagement internally as PART of the overall picture. Especially when you're doing it to see what games and features people are using to help improve your service.

The deserved mockery comes from when MS uses it as the ONLY metric publicly to act like things are going great for their games, when sales and concurrent player numbers paint a drasticly different picture.
Yeah, they already know.

Services 3.0 is basically an expanded MS vision for gaming and IT WILL ALSO FAIL for the same reasons. Why are they trying to copy the current worst gaming model from Microsoft is unfathomable.

There is a reason companies like From Software, Rocktar or Nintendo are thriving because they have being doing something successfully for decades without trying to be the coolest kid on the block or trying to shove a political agenda down to their customer's throat.

Honestly, the thought of NOT having to buy expensive hardware is agreeable. If I can simply download a PS5 or Series X/S app and subscribe to PS+ and Game Pass for a set price per month/year then it's go time!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Services 3.0 is basically an expanded MS vision for gaming and IT WILL ALSO FAIL for the same reasons. Why are they trying to copy the current worst gaming model from Microsoft is unfathomable.

There is a reason companies like From Software, Rocktar or Nintendo are thriving because they have being doing something successfully for decades without trying to be the coolest kid on the block or trying to shove a political agenda down to their customer's throat.
yep. Agreed.
It sucks ass that sony is not confident in their own stuff and have their own normal model.
PS was built on solid games and normal consoles. Like nintendo is still doing.
Following microsoft is not a good idea

//DEVIL//

Didn't read that much when I was studying at university. Someone give us a short 2 sentences version aside from Jim is a cunt

Its amazing how we have armchair corporate strategists who can work out Sony's entire strategy by looking at a slide deck without the voice-over of the people who made it, to add context to it.

MarkMe2525

Is

It's more enjoyable to mock the people that take this shit too seriously, no matter which side of the aisle they are on.

Papa_Wisdom

I’ve had a joint and my brain is thinking, what about if Sony and epic work together to rebrand the epic launcher The PlayStation launcher?

Obviously with fully integrated features with your psn account,

Sony get access to a jump start in there potential pc store.

Epic gets rid of alot of there problems in people’s perception of the epic store, they could both work together to obtain exclusives of which I’m sure epic would prob go for a percentage of the Sony user base that’s using what is effectively a Sony rebranded epic account.

Also don’t tencent have shares in epic now, perhaps a beneficial agreement could be made between Sony and tencent to Team up using the PlayStation name and mobile game distribution for a potential phone app in Asia/ worldwide. Again I can’t see a Downside for anyone involved in any of those situations.

Then again I’m baked watching South Park.

DeepSpace5D

Way too much for me to sift through personally. The one slide that made me happy to read though is that they plan on eventually having 100s of PS1/PSP classics added to PS+ Premium.

Last edited:
I can claim back almost anything at work up to the value of $2k a year, so my last $200 I just did 12 months deluxe PS+ and my feedback is…

Bring streaming to Australia please Sony. I was super excited to play older R&C games and… nope, not in AU :(

Other than that I think PS+ has turned into something great, I like being able to pick up a lot of random games, without the risk of spending so much on them (for example, I don’t like Miles Morales gameplay, at all, so that saves me $120 on buying SM2 :) )

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Super valuable info for ms to know, not great for Sony.

The fact that spiderman was one of its top games and Sony still decided to remove it irks me even more, between that and the price increase is why I won't be continuing my sub.

Top Bottom